Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that gets me about the renders is they have the shimmer effect on the dial. You know, if your dial has texture on it, you get a an effect as your PoV changes because light is reflected differently.

So, all their renders have an effect that cannot possibly be reproduced by the display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That actually looks better than their renders which is nice. It seems like a decent (if safe) overall design, but I think the time marks along the rim are silly and out of place. If you decide to use a digital clock, they are meaningless and kind of ruins the overall look of the device.

I think it's better to leave them off and possibly do something else with the bezel (like a subtle etched pattern) if they wanted some visual flair on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

She says it had to charge twice a day. There's no way that's true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, 12 hour battery life is a dealbreaker for me as well if that's true. It needs to last at minimum from the time I get up on a workday to when I'm likely to go to bed on a weekend (so, say 8-2). So, as mentioned, at LEAST 18 hours.

12 hours isn't going to cut it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arstechnica is going to have their full, in depth review up Sunday night. So, hopefully we'll get a bit more specifics on battery life other than "always dies after 12 hours" that we're getting now.

My question is, is that 12 hours when the thing is in ambient mode with the display always on? If so, and it's substantially longer when the display is allowed to sleep, that's something I can deal with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Was the OLED screen just a rumor, or something they actually mentioned?

They never actually mentioned. No specs at all were talked about prior to the release, just hands on demos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just ordered successfully from Best Buy.

I can't even find it on Best Buy's site.

Do any locations actually have them on hand in store today?

As dumb as it sounds, I would be more inclined to get a 360 if I could have it in hand today. If I have to order, i'm going to wait till I get back from vacation and see what some longer term reviews are like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No NYC locations have it. The Union Square BB is huge, so if anyone had it, it'd be that one.

Oh well. I'm leaving on the 12th for the beach for a week so I can wait until after I get back. Hopefully they'll have them in store by then and we'll have a better understanding on how they work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Glimm posted:

How many are reporting the battery life is that poor?

Right now, we just have the WSJ and The Verge.

I'm not even sure how they had them long enough in order to come to that determination. There was just 11:30 hours between the Chicago event and the embargo lift unless some outlets had them before the event.

But yeah, expect some more longer term reviews to come filter in over the next week and we'll have a better idea how it stacks up. I simply can't imagine anyone at Motorola saying "12 hours is good enough, let's ship" with all the rest of the care going into this device and others.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One other doubt I have with The Verge is their Droid MAXX review. They claimed they got 4 hours less battery life with the MAXX compared to the prior year's HD MAXX which is silly as anyone who has owned the phones will tell you (Droid MAXX absolutely gets better battery life than the HD MAXX.)

Same reviewer too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really, we just have one datapoint on battery life and that datapoint hasn't been reliable in the past when it comes to battery life. I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet.

By the middle of next week, we should have a pretty good indication on whether or not 12 hours is the best case. Don't forget there's a moto Q&A session today, so they may address it there since that seems to be the number one question on everyone's mind right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-360-and-qi-charging-match-made-nerd-heaven

Check out the first comment from the article writer.

quote:

And by the way, I've gone 8 hours so far today and am just now hitting 50 percent. I've heard rumblings about twice-daily charging or something — don't even know the source; I haven't bothered looking — and I'm not yet seeing anything nearly that alarming.

Not sure how he's using it and if he has the always-on display enabled, but that's at least on track for 16 hours during the first day of use.

Another comment here.

https://plus.google.com/+MarquesBrownlee/posts

quote:

Oh, and the #1 question I'm seeing is about battery life. So far... It's been pretty decent. Miles better than the LG G Watch, which is always on. I went most of a day yesterday and ended with 41%. More full-day testing will follow, for a proper full review :]

In those comments, there was another comment by a someone else who got his hands on a review unit.

quote:

I put mine back on the charger after approximately 19 hours of use and it was at 15%. That was with pretty heavy use for several of those hours exploring all the features. I can't imagine a remotely normal user not seeing at least a full day on a charge. 

So, I think we can back away from the cliff now. Battery life looks to be on par with other android wear devices.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 5, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just a minor quibble, but Pebble isn't eink. It's a transflective LCD.

I would also be fine though with the display being off most of the time. I'll still be able to get the time easier than my phone and still have access to the notifications as they come through.

I just want to have a good benchmark of what to expect between always-on and not.

If it's "12 hours always-on, 20 hours with it sleeping" that's perfectly fine for me.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Two (Verge and WSJ), but Marques Brownlee said his was fine, and he is like tech Jesus.

Yeah, I updated with those quotes right above.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, I would love to see google expand android wear to make it compatible with slower refreshing, lower color depth screens.

What easily win my money right now is a e-ink spectra display (black, white, red), in a circle, under sapphire. Something like that would probably have a week's worth (or longer) of power. If google crafted Wear well, notifications could be just as useful on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You, as a responsible adult, should have muted your watch too.

Either that, or just turn off the phone or turn off bluetooth when you muted the phone.

It isn't a technology problem, it's a people problem.

An electroluminescent backlight on a traditional watch would be just as annoying in a darkened theater. Ditto for accidentally setting an alarm on your normal watch during the movie. At least the moto 360 has an ambient light sensor to auto-adjust brightness to match the environment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They did say when it was going to be available. Oct 14th.

I'm not sold on the proportions though. The display is smaller and the watch is thicker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's important to note that LG doesn't rate the G R as lasting longer than the original. That could be because the quoted life is with the display off, but we won't know for sure until it is out.

There's really not a hell of a lot you can squeeze out of a 400mah battery.

One thing to consider with the 360 is you can charge it in more places since you don't need a proprietary cradle. You just need a Qi charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Current motorola (in the past year) device owners will be able to customize the included watch faces with their own color schemes through the Moto Connect software.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/05/motorola-connect-app-updated-brings-exclusive-watch-face-customization-for-moto-360/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It just seems like it all comes down to Ambient mode on the 360. If the watch is active, it's burning through battery. If you let it sleep, it's ok.

So, if you don't mind having the watch face blank when not looking at it, it's probably fine.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/08/moto-360-ambient-screen-mode/

quote:

The Ambient Screen setting is turned off by default out of the box. That’s probably a good thing. In my testing thus far, I was able to kill my Moto 360 completely (as in it completely powered off) in about 13 hours of use with Ambient Screen turned to “on.” That’s not good enough. If you were to take your 360 off its charger in the morning, go to work, use it throughout the day, and then arrive home roughly 12 hours later, your 360 would be on its last ounces of juice. If you decide to go out for the evening, your 360 more than likely won’t make it through the night.

With Ambient Screen turned to “off” I have had much more respectable results. In two full days of using the mode “off” I haven’t had to worry about the watch turning into a useless-but-fancy black screen before I turn in for the night. One night, I was at around 28% after 14 hours of use. The other, I was sitting at about 34% after about 16 hours of use.

The only real drawback to having Ambient Screen turned to “off” is the fact that you have to rely on Motorola’s sensor magic to recognize every time you twist your wrist to look at your watch. Motorola has done a solid job of tuning the device to turn the screen on with the correct wrist gesture, but it’s not 100% perfect. There are times where you will still need to tap the screen or press the side button in order to turn the display on. That’s not a deal breaker by any means if you want your watch to last throughout a full day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

If i gotta do something more than look at it then i might as well get my phone out.

That's up to you. I would still find a tap of the screen if it didn't recognize me looking at the watch for some reason to be less troublesome than pulling my phone out of my pocket. Really though, for me it's about not missing notifications when my phone is in my pocket.

Always-on tanks the battery of all the android wear smart watches on the market and likely will continue to do so without a drastic breakthrough in screen tech. It's just exasperated on the 360 by the bad choice in SoC.

Really though, the takeaway right now is the 360 is still the only one on the market or coming up soon that feels and looks like a real watch on the wrist. The LG G R is closer, but it still lacks a lot of refinement in comparison on the physical design of the 360. The Zenwatch has a premium look and feel, but still misses out a bit on the watch form factor (see the comment about lug to lug distance in the Ars 360 review.)

Beyond that, we are probably 6-9 months away from a product refresh from existing manufacturers to try again. So, it's either the 360 now, or wait.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 8, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Qualcomm seems to be doing alright getting Snapdragons into Android Wear, maybe it is time for some Mirasol action?

Mirasol would be the perfect application here, but I can't help but think it's still too expensive or we would have seen it pop up by now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Not to be all Apple fans :jerkbag: but unless the iWatch is so bad that someone like Mossberg says it is utter garbage I find it hard to believe that Apple won't be minting cash with the iWatch as even just a fashion accessory.

It depends. Watches are a funny thing. One of the (eventual) strengths of Android Wear is we're going to have a lot of choices in style and size. Apple will probably pull off something very nice and very competently put together, but also something that's not going to be very individual. I don't know how many people will buy into having the same thing on their wrist as everyone else. It's something that works fine for phones, but it's a different dynamic when you are looking at something like a watch.

It will be neat to see what they come up with. However, unless they reverse tack about cross platform compatibility, whatever they announce will be useless to me.

On the 360, Moto has shown off the design iterations of the device.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/08/moto-360-prototypes/

One interesting thing is they did toy with a fully round watch that necessitated a larger bezel. They felt the more minimal bezel was the way to go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

The P-OLED in the G Watch R apparently has an integrated circuit to do just that, with LG promising 2 days always on when asked elsewhere. The G watch easily meets it 1 day promise with its always on/ambient screen active so its safe to take them at their word.

Interesting. I guess I can wait another month until October 14th to see how the LG G R stacks up. I just don't find it as visually appealing as the 360, but it's not offensive. I just wish it included wireless charging.

The Zen Watch also has my eye a bit, but there's no word on release date yet. Not round, but rounded. Again though, too bad it doesn't have wireless charging.

Lack of wireless charging would make either a PITA to use with a NATO band. You would have to unthread it to put it on the dock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also starts at $349 (for what I presume will be the most basic bands.)

There are some neat innovations there (screen that can discern a tap from a press and included NFC for contactless payments.) However, I was really hoping that they would do something to push the blurring of watch and phone but the design is pretty much "square on wrist" like the rest.

What's going to be interesting is to see the different capabilities of the Android Wear api and the api this uses and how they push each other to evolve.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

I expect it to be $299 at release.

It's really neither here nor there. Android Wear isn't competing with Apple's product and Apple isn't competing with Android Wear.

You don't buy into a product ecosystem based on the wearable, at least not in this stage of the game, and neither platform is cross compatible.

I was mainly just hoping for a dramatically different take on the space to spur more innovation and I really didn't see that. The landscape is mostly going to be incremental improvements for awhile at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola has responded to the iFixit teardown.

quote:

The typical battery capacity for Moto 360 is 320mAh and the minimum is 300mAh. In the mobile industry, sometimes both the minimum and typical capacity is listed on the battery, with the typical capacity quoted as the official battery size. Both figures are included on the batteries of our Moto X, Moto E and Moto G devices. In the case of smaller devices, we aren’t always able to list both figures. For Moto 360, we only had room for one figure and choose to list the minimal capacity of the battery. We see how this can be confusing and we will look into ways to add the typical capacity as well in the future.

So, it's a case of internet blowing up over nothing. For clarification, here's the distinction between "minimum" and "typical" capacity. At high discharge rates, capacity is decreased. So, 300mAh would be the minimum capacity under the highest discharge rate. Under the consumption load that the watch sees, the capacity is 320mAh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, it's not so much the battery life for me. It's the thought that the watch could have a shorter life due to the older processor.

The way I look at it, we probably aren't going to get a home run product until gen 3-4 (or, at least, we aren't going to get a wide enough variety of products until then to satiate all different feature desires.) So, if I'm going to buy in at 1st gen, it's going to be something I'll want to use for 2 years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ars said that Apple acknowledged left handed users and that they would accommodate them before the watch launches. They didn't state how (orientation flip or whole different model.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nothing official yet, but we pretty much knew this was going to be the case since it wasn't listed as a feature during the keynote.

http://recode.net/2014/09/10/codered-apple-watch-battery-life-charge-nightly/

The Apple watch won't be breaking any new ground with smartwatch battery life from what's being leaked. "About a day" is the estimate that's being tossed around from sources.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android Central was able to compare the Moto 360 and LG G R watch side by side.

http://www.androidcentral.com/comparing-lg-g-watch-r-and-moto-360

I'm still really torn.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm not, the 360 looks much better than the LG watch when they're side by side.

It absolutely looks better. The two concerns I have for the 360 are simply not being able to use Ambient mode (which I'm not sure I care about) and the older processor (making me wonder if it could prematurely get left out of updates.) The LG watch would also be compatible with more bands. The 360 takes standard 22mm bands with standard spring bars, but they have to fit into the slim slot so the band can't be too thick. The LG watch could even take a NATO style band, however it would be difficult to charge it then since the contacts would be covered by the band.

The 360 is easier to charge due to it being wireless and standard Qi. I have a Qi plate at work on my desk, so any battery life concerns if I was going somewhere after work could be mitigated by dropping the watch on the plate for an hour before I left. It would also means I could pack a single charger while traveling and charge the watch, my Droid MAXX and my Nexus 7 2013.

I'm still probably going to end up with the 360. I probably won't be able to resist once they are back in stock.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I have no idea how Wear really works in practice, but that bezel sticking up around the LG watch makes me think of cases that stick up around the screen on smartphones and how they make it difficult to swipe from the edge sometimes...

At least it's angled. The inner edge lines up with the screen, so swiping shouldn't be too much of an issue because you won't catch your finger on the lip of the bezel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, thinking about the 360 and a thought suddenly occurred to me. Has anyone married a Qi charger with a battery pack?

It turns out that yes, this is a thing and there are many models to choose from on Amazon for under $40. That, right there, shows how big of a feature Qi is on these watches. I can get a battery pack that will not only top off my phone and tablet, it would be enough to charge the 360 10 times over.

It's not something you would want to carry around in your pocket, but it just shows how easy it would be to recharge the 360 on the go by tossing one accessory with no cords in your bag or car.

Something like this is pretty small http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8HGB08?psc=1 . You could easily use a rubber band to keep the 360 against the charger and throw the whole thing in a bag if you need to charge it on the go if you are traveling or something. I don't imagine that tiny battery takes very long to charge either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home from work and checked out the 360 in person. My mind is made up, I'll bet getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one. In my opinion, they nailed the physical aspect of the device and it fits on my wrist perfectly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

Apple notifications over bluetooth are solid and has a published frasmework, basically any notification can be pushed to a bluetooth device including SMS and telephone.

What about return communication though? That's the main sticking point from what I understand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the Qi charging of the 360 is a major major selling point for me. If it didn't have it, I would probably me more inclined to wait for a different device. However, Qi basically overcomes most battery life concerns since it's so easy to charge it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I could see the metal band being an issue due to fitment on a flat charger. But yes, it is officially Qi standard and will charge with any Qi charger provided that you can position it correctly.

The display thing doesn't worry me at all. We had the same thing pop up with the Nexus 7 as well and it ended up being overblown, only having a few isolated edge cases. I don't consider that 'cutting corners', it's just an artifact that LCDs can suffer from due to manufacturing variance and it's very hard thing to catch with QC since it doesn't manifest itself right away. You could probably pull samples of nearly anything equipped with a screen suffering from something similar. It's only when you have an intersection of something like that happening with someone who's vocal on social media does it pop up in public awareness.

That's what the warranty is for. If your watch does that, exchange it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A thought occurs to me. If Moto really is using an inventory of old SoCs from the MotoACTV and Droid 2, presumably their supply isn't infinite and no one is making more of them.

I just wonder how big the production run for the 360 with that SoC in it could possibly be.

The inventory situation is horrible though. Both online outlets are sold out and Best Buy are only getting the watches 2 and 3 at a time which usually sell that very day. I bet Best Buy is regretting taking up half a shelf for a dedicated Moto 360 display when they don't have any to even sell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How are people outside of America getting the watches?

How are people INSIDE America getting the watches even? Can't buy them from anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/25/motorola-just-randomly-released-the-moto-360-in-stone-at-best-buy/

Looks like they retired the grey band for some reason and have changed it to stone which is slightly lighter.

And that's currently in stock at BestBuy.com

I managed to order (finally) and should arrive by Tuesday.

butt dickus posted:

One of my coworkers got his in two days ago from Motorola. He didn't have to do anything special as far as I know.

They were only in stock for a very brief period last week to be ordered. They went out of stock on the Motorola website quickly after that and couldn't be ordered.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 25, 2014