Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

The dark gray band was always supposed to be limited edition.

But I had thought they were going to switch to a brown leather band once it was done, not a lighter gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They had a ton sitting around because it was used in the MotoACTV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are more reports that the battery life has been significantly increased with this update.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/29/some-users-are-reporting-vastly-improved-battery-life-on-the-moto-360-after-last-weeks-update/

Some are reporting that they can go a full day with ambient mode on now.

Mine should arrive any time now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That seems about right. I'm at 5 hours off charge right now and sitting at about 85%. So, that's about 3% per hour giving around 30 hours of runtime. I'm sure it would be less drain at night when it's not constantly moving and waking up. Also, at work I don't keep my phone on me 100% of the time so I'm constantly going out of range and disconnecting/reconnecting. I also have the step and heartrate tracking turned on right now. Just ambient off.

I would say the biggest thing I want from wear right now is the ability to hide cards without dismissing them. I would like, say, my weather card or drive home card be something I could always access by swiping up, but I really don't want real estate taking up space on my clock screen unless it's an active notification. Right now, the only thing I can do is swipe those cards away which makes them disappear on the phone as well. I don't find that to be ideal.

Basically, I want to keep Now cards around on both the watch and phone, just not have it be an active notification.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 1, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

I don't have a Wear device yet (waiting for the sweet sweet 360 release in UK) but regarding the weather thing can't you just get a weather app rather than relying on Google Now for it?

There are plenty of other ways go get weather.

It's just a change in process thing. I got used to certain cards hanging around for easy reference. Now they aren't there anymore until they show up on their own, but then you have to swipe them away if you don't want them always to be showing on the "home" screen of your watch.

I can always just ask the watch what the weather is or will be and it will show me.

Another example is I got a tracking notification for a package. I usually like to leave those cards up in Google Now until the package is delivered for easy access to the tracking number. However, if I did that, there would be a persistent card on the watch as well that you couldn't hide, only dismiss.

Basically, it's solvable by just being able to swipe down on the card on the clock screen to hide it. They would just have to implement that functionality and it would be fine. The only thing, in my opinion, that should show up on the main clock screen are new notifications and persistent notifications like audio controls. Everything else should be hidden until you swipe up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Ah, I understand now. So Wear is displaying your Google Now cards rather than just the notification that a new card has appeared. Useful cards are easy to leave up on a phone because Now is in a specific place that you can go to and look if you want to see them again, but on the watch they clutter up the main screen. Yeah, that makes sense and sounds like it could certainly be improved.

Bingo. I'm hoping it's one of the things the tweak in Wear 2.0. It's a pretty common request.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

What is a "limited edition Moto 360"?

The darker grey band.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You said it there.

Three Olives has a G watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

I guess I missed that this was running Wear, I thought it was some random ASUS OS.

Swappable bands, attractive OLED, stainless steel case, Snapdragon 400, if this has a decent battery and an ambient light sensor this might be the Wear watch to hold out for, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

It's actually gotten quite a bit of attention. I considered it but two things killed it for me. No wireless charging and it likely won't feel as nice on the wrist.

I saw a few first impressions of it that talked about the lug to lug distance and how it doesn't feel as natural on your wrist since a wider flat area is present.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

If it's the later that seems to be a losing battle regardless of Now, as the UI model seems to necessitate that being the case as Wear begins to do more over time.

It's the latter.

Right now, I have two Now cards. The weather for home and the weather for work. I've seen them, I know they are there. I really don't like dismissing them, because they are dismissed on the phone then and sometimes I like to reference them when I'm on the phone to seen the weekly forecast or what not.

But I hate that when I look at my watch the see the time, there's that banner with the notification. It's not a hiding the time thing, it's an OCD thing. If there's not something there I need to be notified of that needs immediate attention, I want the watch to look like a watch, not have a white banner across it. At the same time though, I hate clearing out Now on my phone.

They really should just add a "swipe down" gesture at the bottom of the screen that allows you to hide a notification rather than fully dismiss it.

Edit:

Another example would be shipping notification. I like keeping the shipping card up in now when I have a package incoming as it's a easy shortcut to the tracking number to see where it is. However, it shows up on my watch as well. I don't want that notification sitting around on the home screen of my watch for 3 or 4 days as I wait for the package. However, if I dismiss it, it's gone from now as well.

If they don't want to do the hide functionality, then they should decouple the dismissal of cards in now from the watch. Push new cards out to the watch when they appear but don't dismiss them on the phone when you dismiss them on the watch. I'm fine with notifications being dismissed on the phone with the watch as that's all stuff that needs to be dealt with. Now cards are different though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 16, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Would be nice if you could swipe with one finger to hide from the watch but leave on Now on the phone, and two fingers to obliterate it everywhere.

Yeah, there's a few approaches they could take on this, hopefully they will add an enhancement in with 2.0.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like someone is making adapter lugs for the Moto360 so you can use pretty much any band.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183644800/steelconnect-m-adapters-for-moto360-smartwatch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

fyallm posted:

Yessss, this can't come to my 360 fast enough!

Yeah. I can't wait for that. It shouldn't be too long of a wait. For once, google is listening.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Funny thing about the G R watch. The watchface does look better without the chin, but for some reason I really like having the chin when it displays the notifications.

I think it's because it makes the notification look more symmetrical with the chin the 360 has, more like a banner. Basically, i think there's too much white space in the notification when the chin isn't there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

He asked for GPS and NFC though too, and none have that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reverse Centaur posted:

Got me on NFC, but...

No, you aren't quite understanding. The LG G R does not have an internal GPS chip, it's getting that info via bluetooth from the phone. He wants an Android Wear watch with built in GPS that won't have to rely on a phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Holy hell offline music playback for Wear is currently hacky and convoluted.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/24/how-to-store-music-on-android-wear-for-offline-playback/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I got my 360 yesterday and am pretty happy with it so far.

In order to customize watch faces, you need Moto Connect on your phone, which I do. I've been using it with my VZW Droid Maxx to text from my computer.

I can't for the life of me find how to add an additional device (the watch) to Moto Connect. Any suggestions?

The big + icon right on the top bar on the left not doing it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I experimented with ambient mode on with my 360 this weekend.

On Friday, I decided to turn it on around 11am just to see what would happen. I had been off the charger since about 9 am and it was only charged to 86% when I took it off the charger because I had forgotten to charge it the night before and didn't put it on the charger first thing when I got up like I usually do.

When I got home at 2:40 am, I had 1% charge left. So, about 14 1/2 hours off charge (though, only 86% as a starting point) with 12 or so of those hours being with ambient on.

Granted once it dipped below 15% it turned ambient off automatically, but it seems like I could easily go a "normal" day with ambient on and have plenty of charge left by the end of the day. Not as good as something with OLED or snapdragon to be sure, but completely acceptable to me since it takes less than an hour to top off the battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just ordered one of these to use while traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically, it could charge my 360 10 times over and it's the right size that I'm probably just going to be able to secure it to the charger with the strap (but likely just use a velcro or rubber band.)

Sure, it would be great if the thing had the battery life to the point where I could rely on it lasting two days out of a charge for some edge cases, but I don't expect to have to use that charger much either. With such a tiny battery, it charges so drat quick that it's really easy to give it an extra boost if necessary.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 27, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really sure I agree with that. Batteries are a lot better about their lifespan than they used to be. You aren't looking at the 50% range until you are well into 1200 to 1500 charge cycles so even if you depleted it to 0% every day, you are still looking at over 3 years before the battery life is halved. However, I usually end the day with ~50% life left, so it would be over 6 years before I would have to worry about it.

Compared to a watch, it's a shorter lifespan, but $250 every 5 years is pocket change when compared to smartphones and such.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can still charge a phone conventionally from it, so it's not really that big of a deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I dunno, I'm actually able to whisper to my 360 under some pretty noisy circumstances and it tracks me perfectly.

I mean, I just mumbled 'OK Google' with the TV at full volume and it picked up and recognized right away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the SP3 is fantastic.

A few weeks on with my Moto 360 and I'm still completely satisfied. I've never had an issue where I would have been running for an outlet to charge. It's also saved me a few missed calls here and there.

On the style front, reactions I've gotten have been interesting. I've had at least two self professed watch 'enthusiasts' mistake it for a $2k+ designer watch and were really surprised when I told them it was a smartwatch made by an electronics company.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of metal bands and the 360.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2014/11/moto-360-choose-watch-that-fits-your.html

quote:

New metal offerings
Moto 360 now comes with metal bands that are as durable as they are beautiful. Crafted from aircraft-grade stainless steel, these bands feature a modern, contemporary tri-link design that complements the round face of Moto 360. Starting today, Moto 360 with light and dark metal bands are available on motorola.com for $299. Coming soon, we will offer Moto 360 with new slim bands, which is an option for smaller wrists or for people who want a different look. Slim bands will be available in time for the holidays in light metal ($299) and a brand new champagne gold finish ($329).

New accessory bands
Already have a Moto 360? We’ll offer interchangeable stone, black and cognac leather bands along with light and dark metal bands. Plus, we’ve partnered with some really cool brands through our M4DE program to bring you even more choices. DODOcase will offer stitched leather bands in four new colors. TYLT is working on colorful silicone bands to give you an entirely new look.

Also, bonus new watchface incoming

quote:

New watch faces
Choose from new watch face designs or even create your own. The new My Design watch face option allows you to customize everything from the background image to the style of the tick marks and watch hands. We’ve also added the watch face created by the winner of our Moto 360 Design Face-Off. These new watch face options will be available for all Moto 360 watches through an update on the Moto Connect app1 within the next few days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edit: ^Damnit.

Zenwatch goes on sale in the us on the 9th in Best Buy for $199

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/07/asus-zenwatch-goes-on-sale-in-us-starting-november-9-for-199/

This would have been my 2nd choice after the 360. It's also not round, but it still manages to look like a real watch with it's design.

The only detraction I've heard of it thus far is the large face makes the lug to lug distance large which can make it uncomfortable for those with small wrists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

I guess nobody informed bestbuy that they were launching the asus watch today?

I believe you are under a mistaken impression that Best Buy is actually 'managed' and is a 'store' instead of a flea market of new electronics that a truck dumps on to the floor once a week staffed by people who couldn't manage to find their way out of the store the previous week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I want a chain where the only thing in the front of the store is a bunch of electronic lockers so I can order online, duck into the store, swipe my card at the right locker, and go. That is what Best Buy's in-store pickup SHOULD be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really is. I like how the blocks change color around the ring depending on appointments. You can tell at a glace what you have going on for 24 hours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sneak peak of Lollipop Android Wear

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/11/android-wear-5-0-lollipop-features-revealed-smartwatch/

Highlights include

Watch Face API
Undo when swiping cards away
Watch faces have access to weather info directly and can display it
Theater mode and sunlight mode from the pulldown settings screen to quickly adapt brightness for the surroundings (for all the plebes that don't have an ambient light sensor :D)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Outer ring is am, inner is pm. Each block is 15 minutes and they are a different color when you have an appointment for that time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of grocery shopping, Wear needs a concept of "Pinning" an app or something.

I had this grand idea of putting a grocery list in keep and using my watch to check off that list as I proceed around the store.

Only issue is, every time the watch went to sleep, Keep disappeared and needed to be relaunched (wasn't even in the list of cards anymore.) That makes it pretty much useless for a shopping companion as having to launch Keep every few minutes to check off an item is tedious and time consuming.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nthalp posted:

welp the moto 360 update.. or maybe its the android wear app is now putting "ok google" on all watchfaces.

WHAT THE gently caress.

I know the words.

Use it for about 3-5 times and then it will go away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Folding my arms catches me out. I usually trigger the watch face change.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, the new google play services is causing android wear to say "Sync Loop" for a large number of people now. It doesn't appear to affect functionality or battery life (at least not for most people), but something obviously isn't right.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80936

Looks like turning off Developer options on the phone and cycling bluetooth fixes it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 26, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Which the phone only does if you flick your wrist properly or tap it. When you are driving or something and glance at your watch it will probably be off.

It honestly isn't that finicky. 98% of the time, any motion that brings it into view will wake the screen. I glance at it in the car and really have no issues with it waking by itself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reverse Centaur posted:

The light sensor on the 360 is a non-factor since the screen only stays on for 0.5 seconds to allow the battery to survive a day. I'll take always-on at a steady "5" any day.

I only use manual brightness on phones too.

I can't help but vehemently disagree. The brightness sensor is one of the most important things on the watch. I like not being blinded by my watch while I'm driving at night or in the movie theater.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just hope wear lollipop was debugged a bit more thoroughly than phone or tablet lollipop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ugh, apparently notification priority states are linked between phone and wear if you have a Lollipop device and Lollipop wear.

I'm getting more and more glad by the day that I'm still on KitKat on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, supports in Beta.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt to the evolving Wear API as they are essentially writing a wrapper for it. If they can keep up, it's a great thing for Pebble owners. If they can't or Google prevents non-wear devices from utilizing wear notifications somehow, then they are back to square one.