Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Glimm posted:

Anyone still looking for Glass invites?

My local Google Developer's Group has a few to give out, but they need to get them in today. Feel free to pm me!

I need: first/last name and an email address.

fffffff I really shouldn't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How well does Android Wear handle actually interacting with your phone?

I've used a Pebble for a while, and honestly really liked it aside from the styling. In particular, I really enjoyed the ease of flipping through notifications, and easy-to-use Pandora and Google Play Music controls. Does Android Wear handle that well also? Or is it mostly for more passive use?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

hotsauce posted:

Update. The dead pixel fixed itself...

Just ordered a black pebble steel band. Trip report on Thursday if anyone cares.

The end links on Pebble Steel bands are proprietary, and will fit poorly, if at all, on a 360.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Argyle posted:

The screen flipping over would be simple, but the hardware button layout would be different:

Watch on left wrist = knob on top, button on bottom
Watch on right wrist = button on top, knob on bottom

How that actually affects usage, I have no idea.

edit: Then again, I would think that most left-handers would be used to the knob being on the "wrong" side, since that's where it is on 99.9% of all watches.

The problem is, on most watches you never need to touch the crown while it's on your wrist. The Apple Watch requires it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Honestly the Moto Hint excites me the most out of any of the new Motorola products, and I think combined with a Motorola phone that has voice assist it will either be really awesome, or the foundation for something awesome. That said...

Thermopyle posted:

It depends on how visible it is. BT headsets have got the I'm-a-douche thing going for them, so it's going to have either be not very obtrusive, or be obviously not a BT headset.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've been utilizing the LG G Watch for a few days now. A couple of thoughts:

- Battery life really isn't that bad. I use the watch how I imagine it was intended - as a watch, and as a way to quickly get notifications or look up info. It seems that under that use case the Moto 360 even is good for a day of use, which is all it really needs to have. Even my Pebble I charged every night.

- Android Wear is surprisingly more useful than I thought. I hadn't used voice commands much at all, but dictating text messages, looking up directions, and other voice searches worked pretty fantastic. Unfortunately, you still look like a moron doing it, limiting its use to in a car (in which case I'd rather drop the money on a good car integration solution instead). The notifications it provides are useful and typically relevant, and media playback controls work well with the stock interface, and as more apps get Wear components that will only improve. The step counter is totally borked, and almost useless.

- They need to be smaller to get any traction. I have large wrists, and my standard watch is a fairly large mechanical diver's watch. I have no problem with large watches. But the Moto 360, after messing around with it at a Best Buy, is still too big for my tastes in both diameter and thickness. After using the G Watch, I'd happily take a smaller watch if they could keep the screen resolution the same - text is pretty easy to read, and it could handle been a bit smaller. I might even be ok with a lower resolution screen as well, depending on how it looked.

- Aside for being big and block, the G Watch itself...really isn't that bad. It looks like a demo device for Android Wear, but it is fairly inconspicuous, and with a bit nicer band doesn't really look that bad. The charging dock works fine, and the hardware is perfectly capable, though the vibration is a bit weak.

If they can put out a ~42mm Moto 360-styled watch, I think I'll be happy.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here played around with a Moto Hint yet? Particularly, anyone with a Moto X (2014)? I'm going to pick up a Nexus 6, and the Hint's integration with always listening is intriguing. I drive all day now, and being able to dictate text messages and request directions without ever having to touch my phone OR the ear piece would be incredible.

Also, picked up a Moto 360 from Best Buy. Couple of quick impressions:

1. The lovely processor doesn't ruin the UX to any great extent.
2. It does gently caress battery life, though. That doesn't bother me - being able to just hit a day is totally adequate. What kills it IMO is needing a dock to charge. My phone barely lasting a day is totally fine since I can charge it easily whenever I need to. If I want to keep my watch charged, I have to bring a second charger and dock with me. Even if Qi were common it'd still be a problem - using it with a metal bracelet as opposed to a two-piece band precludes the use of standard Qi charger.
3. It doesn't wear nearly as big as I thought it would. While I do have a large frame (7 3/4" wrists) I'm not particularly big, and it doesn't look anymore out of place than most diving watches do.
4. Aside from it feeling wayyyyyy too light compared to the mechanical watches I typically wear, it seems to be a quality piece, with little finishing touches and details that make me feel less bad about spending a poo poo load of money on nerd gear.
5. The heart rate sensor is pretty useless and I'd like it if they cut costs there rather than the processor. Otherwise, it functions well, and Android Wear seems to be pushing these devices to the threshold of usefulness - it's significantly easier and safer to glance at directions on your wrist quickly then your phone, and it's nice to be able to change songs without having to pull your phone out and unlock it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need something to just do basic fitness and sleep tracking; heart rate isn't an issue. The only issue is that while I am on my feet most of the date, I work with my hands for a significant portion of it. Will that throw off step measurements? Also, what is the better ecosystem at this point, Jawbone's or Fitbit's? I am on an android phone if it matters.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I like to do carpentry of various sorts and it always throws my fitbit flex off. One thing that happens in particular is that hammering or chiseling or the similar turns sleep mode on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on...

My guess is that the fitbit that clips to your pocket or whatever is a lot better about this, but I'm not sure if that one does sleep tracking.

That's good to know. I think the more expensive clip Fitbit does, as well as the new Jawbone one.

Anyone have experience with the Jawbone clip-thing?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

5TonsOfFlax posted:

In the vein of cool stuff that nobody's really talking about, I finally got my Myo that I kickstarted in 2013. It's pretty neat, and I look forward to playing around with programming for it, but right now it's definitely in the "cool... what do I do with this?" stage.

It seems to take a bit of time after putting it on to learn to discriminate gestures well, but I've already gotten used to trying to control my music with subtle hand motions.

https://www.thalmic.com/en/myo/

you paid money for that?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Are there any stores where keylinks or the micro battery packs are sold? Or do I have to get them from Motorola?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ugh, I really don't need one...but $179 is pretty tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I bought a Charge HR and REALLY liked it...except for one problem: the pedometer is way too sensitive. I spend a significant amount of my day driving in vehicles with horrible suspension, and I found that it would record the various bumps and jostles as steps - a lot of them, enough that the data became totally useless.

Anyone else experience this?