Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The NYTimes has an article on Sony's new watch here:
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/sony-puts-a-phone-display-on-your-wrist/

It doesn't sound that great, especially considering that apparently the clock even loses its time whenever it's not connected to the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

And lord knows that the world of high fashion is extremely desirable, accessible, AND affordable to all of the rest of us.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

BBC's news site is actually featuring an article on the Pebble on its front page under the Technology section:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20961434

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

snorch posted:

This whole smartwatch thing is definitely picking up speed, but it's not at the point where I'd buy one yet. The designs so far are pretty meh, the usability is getting there but not quite where I'd like to have it, but I'd almost go for a pebble.
I'm waiting for my Pebble, but I'm being careful to temper my own expectations on how useful and practical it actually is. Like a lot of people, I just wanted to see a good project get off the ground and set a precedent for future devices. I have a feeling I will not much care for its battery life and charging system, but hopefully some people will do some good work with the SDK. I'd like to give it a shot myself, but I'm really only proficient in LabVIEW and a little Python, so I probably wouldn't be able to make any headway on any ideas I might have once I start using the thing.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

The Leon Hikari posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa

The Omate TrueSmart looks like a pretty kickass competitor to everything else on the market. It's actually running just a skinned version of android, and has access to google play. I'm quite hyped and I'm sad that nobody's even brought it up yet.

Almost sounds too good to be true - I have my concerns about the battery life, but it would blow my Pebble out of the water if they manage to deliver, and just in time for my birthday. I'm guessing that it wouldn't work on Sprint as a standalone due to the SIM and Sprint's closed network, but maybe with an MVNO?

Not that I need it to be standalone, as the Pebble has been mostly good so far as a companion device... but I'd drop it fast for the right upgrade. Oh, the early adopter's dilemma.

As it is, my fancier watch doesn't get worn almost ever anymore and I only wear my sports watch when I'm afraid of damaging my Pebble or being away from power for too long.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

New Pebble Steel revealed on the Kickstarter page. Main differences from the standard model are a fully stainless steel body, different front bezel design (thinner metal bezel, but the screen is the same size), comes with a leather and a metal band, and has a slightly bigger battery (~10 days vs. ~7). Not really worth the premium to me personally, I'll likely just get a matching metal band for the regular one I backed. Even longer battery life is pretty nice though.

I agree - since the body looks mostly the same (at least outwardly), and you can bring your own band in either case, I'm not sure I'd pay a 50% 40% price premium for a few more days' battery life when the current solution for charging even on the original Pebble is still pretty good.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 3, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Saddamnit posted:

So was anyone else surprised at the lack of wearable news at MWC? I thought we were supposed to hear about a lot more smart watches at the show.

http://whatthefuckismywearablestrategy.com/

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I'm only 30, but with SXSW going on in town and ads like that I find myself complaining about young whippersnappers and the next generation (and also my generation) more than I probably should. I don't really get the appeal of stuff like that, but what do I know?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

I'd recommend Pujie Black. Highly customizable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pujie.wristwear.pujieblack

edit: here's a picture of my setup:

Basically the entire face is able to be customized, so you can get rid of the tickmarks if you wish.

I feel like Mugatu at the end of Zoolander saying "It's... beautiful!" and now my original Pebble seems so crappy by comparison. :(

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

butt dickus posted:

Except you don't wear a desk clock. A wall clock, maybe.

I bet if push came to shove, Flava Flav would be able to make the transition from wall to desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Since you don't know how to read, I'm not sure how useful it would be to you.