Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Surface was originally used as the branding for a table with a touchscreen for the surface. Microsoft quietly renamed the table to PixelSense and pushed the Surface as a handheld tablet device. I don't think the table ever made it to mass retail though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Inco posted:

I need to get a new fitness band, because I just blew through a second Razer Nabu (it was a Christmas gift, stop laughing). Looking through the last few pages, it looks like Garmin's build quality is touted. I'm looking at the Vivosmart HR, since it seems to have many of the same features I want (particularly push notifications and sleep monitoring), but I was wondering if there were anything a bit cheaper that still won't break after a few months. Most of my job is throwing boxes around, so it'd have to be able to take the occasional hit. Most of the rest of the time I'd be wearing it while running or lifting.

As far as I can tell, the Vivosmart HR is pretty much the sweet spot of price/performance. You're looking at last gen stuff or a generally less useful watch if you go any lower.

I have one and it seems fairly resilient with regards to getting dinged up. If cosmetic scratches won't drive you insane you should be fine - I'm not entirely sure what kind of touch sensor it uses but it's not a standard capacitive touch as it responds to anything physical including clothing, so keep that in mind if you plan on using the music controls. Most of the stuff that's not just a passive info screen is locked behind a hard button press so it's usually not a problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012
No issues with my Garmin connectivity either and I'm on my second now (though I did have some hoops to jump through to use it as a trusted device). Does it appear as a visible device through regular Bluetooth settings?

isndl
May 2, 2012

netcat posted:

I have a Sony Xperia z5. Yeah it does appear as a regular Bluetooth device and the phone can find it when I try to add it to garmin connect again, but the sync always fails.

Maybe I could try factory resetting the watch.

If you're able to pair, the Garmin Connect app has a Device Sync Audit menu in the Settings. Maybe that'll help you figure out what's going on.

isndl
May 2, 2012

learnincurve posted:

One company in China makes all the heart rate monitors for every smart watch no matter the price of it. The only difference between them is if you get the first or second gen versions. If that’s your bag then the £10 xangbong genre IV will give you the exact same data as the latest garmin or Fitbit.

The software side is still pretty important too. Getting the data automatically presented with nice charts and color highlights makes a world of difference for usability.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I'm using a Vivosmart HR and I'm generally satisfied with it though I'm not really using it to its full potential either. I have not used any Fitbit. Any commentary I have is more specific to the model I'm using rather than the ecosystem.

Garmin Connect gets rather confused output when you fly internationally and change time zones, I guess? :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

seravid posted:

the sensor picking up a heart rate on tables, clothes, mousepads;

This is an unavoidable consequence of the sensor tech, it measures heart rate by the rate at which light is absorbed. It doesn't have sensors to determine what it's looking at, and if you're getting erroneous readings looking at other stuff it's because it's not rated for other stuff. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

seravid posted:

Not that unavoidable, since it doesn't happen with the Galaxy Watch I just received. Couldn't fool it with my clothes or the handful of objects on my desk. That doesn't make it good, of course, but at least it doesn't think my furniture is alive. This only matters because I had to manually disable the HR monitor on the Charge 3 any time I took it off and I won't have to with the Samsung.

Assuming it's using the standard green light HR sensor, then it's either got an extra sensor of some kind detecting when it's being worn or it's throwing out data it deems erroneous. Throwing out data is simplest but also worrisome because that means if your skin tone or heartrate profile doesn't approximately match whatever Samsung is expecting you're going to get poo poo readings. Samsung's guidelines also say you're supposed to hold still for accurate heartrate measurements which is loving :lol: for something people are expecting to use during workouts.

If it's working for you as it is now that's great, but I do question whatever they're doing for a population-at-large monitoring accuracy.

isndl
May 2, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

Do I need to adjust my expectations?

Yeah, it's impossible to get a watch with GPS and HR monitoring that also lasts a month. With HR monitoring only you can get maybe a week tops and GPS has always been a battery hog. Watches are just too small to really stretch it any further, you would need batteries that are an order of magnitude more powerful to pull it off.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Considering the Fitbit is small enough that it's going to be literally glued together, I doubt it's ever going to be worth the hassle of trying to repair it. I'd just live with a scratched screen until it's time to replace it myself, it's not like the battery is going to last more than a couple years before it gets annoying anyways. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

codo27 posted:

I really hope down the road once bluetooth has been out a few years that they finally figure it out.

ffs

Bluetooth has been around for more than a few years already, but maybe the push to ditch the headphone jack will push them polish their implementation instead of leaving it half baked. Except y'know, it's Google.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

Any recommendations for an iPhone user then? A fitness band or tracker is fine, doesn’t need to be a full smart watch.

Garmin stuff seems to be generally well-liked (I'm happy with mine, others have posted about theirs in the thread). Honestly I'm not sure if there's anyone in the non-iOS/Android wearables game worth mentioning besides Garmin and Fitbit these days.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The couple Garmins I used had no issues aside from the bands falling apart, which should be less of an issue if you're buying a higher end model with standard band mounts instead of the glued on rubber bands. I think one software update caused a Bluetooth connection drop issue that was fixed in a later update, otherwise no real problems. Still have one as a trusted device to save time unlocking my phone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I got a hold of a secondhand Forerunner 645 and for those of you on the fence about of Garmin because of the recent attack, they've got things under control enough that I had no issues getting it synced and new watch face downloaded from their site. Presumably they're going to harden themselves against future attacks after this as well.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've never really felt a desire for a smartwatch, but $40 is cheap and has me wondering: What exactly are the use cases of a smartwatch? I'm an American whose lands are being ravaged by the plague so I'm not going outside for the foreseeable future and my phone lives in my pocket. If I took a lot of calls I would start using a bluetooth headset, not my watch. I stream my music. Is really just down to I could look at what time it is even more frequently and monitoring when I jerk off?

Everyone has different desires out of their watch, like I don't really care much about GPS even if it's included in the one I just got. I do care about being able to glance at my wrist when a message comes in without having to pick up my phone, and the various fitness related functions do gently push me into being more active even if I'm still woefully short of doctor recommended activity levels.

In a post-pandemic world they have other nice utility like music controls (sometimes even playing the music without a phone involved at all), or contactless payment (acting as credit card, or sometimes a public transit pass). In a general sense a smartwatch is merely a smaller smartphone and anything the smartwatch does the smartphone can also do, but there's something to be said for the convenience of having it strapped to your wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

butt dickus posted:

that's a good way to remove the oleophobic coating from your screen

Does it even have an oleophobic coating? The Forerunner series is strictly side button controls as far as I know, it's targeted towards athletes and such who often don't have pristine hands during use.