Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The lovely battery life on the 360 is disappointing but not all that surprising. After all, these are the Epic 4Gs and Droid Bionics of the smartwatch world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

KingEup posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for a wearable (now that the Apple watch has been unveiled).

It has to have the following characteristics:

1. It must be completely waterproof (because I swim).
2. It must monitor my heart rate (constantly over the course of the day)
3. It must be a stand alone device (so I don't have to carry a phone around when I run, swim and cycle)
4. It must be able to upload my heart rate readings to another device so I can plot them on a graph over time.

Does a device like this exist?

I'm not sure, but I think the latest Samsung monstrosity can almost fulfill your criteria.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Hold on with Samsung's solid record of making poo poo watches that no one buys and all indications of this being in the same boat, basically zero demand for a watch that makes phone calls and both Google and Apple making big and solid smartwatch pushes why are all the carriers signing up for this?

Part of me admires Samsung's willingness to throw as many turds as they can come up with as fast as they can at the wall and carriers now willing to take some risk in devices but come on. I mean this isn't hard, Samsung knows how to make OLEDs, they know how to make watches, put a OLED with a decent battery in a case that doesn't even have to be round designed by a competent watch designer with Google's software that most people agree isn't complete poo poo unlike the Gear and the Fit and you could probably move some units.

My entirely uneducated guess is that they figure the smart watch market is so new it's still anyone's game. With Samsung traditionally being more willing to accommodate carriers than Apple or Google they figure they might as well see what happens. If Samsung can get a dominant position in this space (they most likely won't) carriers would have a better shot at pushing their own services through them than the more tightly controlled Apple\Google platforms.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm surprised no one on XDA has made a port for it. Is the bootloader unlocked?

They'd have to do a heck of a job to get the UI to work with the rotating bezel. If only Google hadn't locked down Android Wear so tightly.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

lostleaf posted:

Thanks. Do you have to press the back button every time you pay or just each time you put on the watch?

When you put on the watch.
E: sorry yeah you hold down the back button when you want to pay, you only have to enter the pin when you first put on the watch.