Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Just called my local Best Buy to see if they had any 360's. Apparently Best Buy's stocking system is glitching and reporting that some stores have them available for in-store pickup, when they in fact do not. Make sure you call the store directly to see if they actually have anything on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Despite the unavailability, subpar battery life, and still-limited applications of Android Wear, I still really really want a 360.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

maltesh posted:

I would be gobsmacked if they forgot that there were left-handed users. I mean, it's already got orientation sensors, I can't imagine it not being flippable for other- wrist wear.

The screen flipping over would be simple, but the hardware button layout would be different:

Watch on left wrist = knob on top, button on bottom
Watch on right wrist = button on top, knob on bottom

How that actually affects usage, I have no idea.

edit: Then again, I would think that most left-handers would be used to the knob being on the "wrong" side, since that's where it is on 99.9% of all watches.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 10, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Best Buy says in-store pickup for the 360 in 3-5 days, but the add to cart button refuses to actually add it to my cart. Anyone able to get this to work?

A BB employee told me their inventory system is completely borked with regards to the 360's. I think the official arrival date for most stores is Sunday the 14th.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Stopped by Best Buy on the way home from work and checked out the 360 in person. My mind is made up, I'll bet getting one as soon as I can get my hands on one. In my opinion, they nailed the physical aspect of the device and it fits on my wrist perfectly.

I don't know what's wrong with Los Angeles Best Buys, but none of them have their 360 displays set up yet.

One CS rep I talked to told me that the West Hollywood store is getting two units on Sunday.

Two.

Either that's totally wrong, or Motorola and Best Buy are seriously loving up this launch.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

w00tazn posted:

Just called the Best Buy I normally go to and the guy was saying that they've been taking preorders in store for the Moto 360 and that they weren't even going to have any to sell tomorrow. :(

Just placed a preorder myself, although they admitted they had no idea when they were receiving them, or how many they would get. Better than nothing, I suppose.

edit: They had the 360 display set up. I had reservations about the size, but once it was on my wrist, it looked no bigger than any other men's fashion watch. I do have big wrists though --I had to fasten the strap on the second-to-last hole. It's definitely thicker than I was expecting - I think it's a full centimeter thick. I'd be worried about bumping/catching it on stuff. The leather straps are comfortable and well-built, if a little plain looking. I think a metal strap would suit the 360 well, and help disguise the thickness of the watch.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 14, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Got this email from Motorola this morning:

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

baka kaba posted:

That lovely typography makes it look like an internet prank someone knocked out in 5 minutes. Hell so does the writing - "it's meant to work with a phone"

This is obvious to those of us who have been following the development of wearables over the years, but your average consumer has little to no idea how they work or what they actually do. After the Apple press conference, I had to clear up the following things to a coworker:

- No, your watch does not need its own data plan.
- No, you don't plug headphones into it.
- No, it doesn't let you run full iPhone/Android apps on your wrist.
- No, it does not replace your phone.
- Yes, you need it continuously paired with your phone to do anything useful.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

It was a little touch-and-go back in 2012 when Apple replaced Google Maps with Apple Maps, and you couldn't get Google Maps in the app store for a good long while.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

On a side note, why do all tech reviewers have such dainty wrists? I didn't realize how much smaller it was than the Gear Live, which fit me perfectly.

Yeah seriously, I tried a 360 on in Best Buy and it looked totally fine on my wrist. Which made me wonder how MKBHD can have hands the size of dinner plates and wrists the size of a single Twix bar.

edit: For reference, I have wrists the size of a coffee can and hands the size of a coaster.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

w00tazn posted:

Got my order in for a black one, estimated shipping Sept 24.

Me too for silver!

It told me there was a problem processing my card like 4 times in a row. It wouldn't even process my Motorola credit when I tried that. But it went through eventually.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 16, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Is there an Android Wear SMS app that would allow me to send canned responses via my watch? At work we use text messages a lot, but I'm frequently in a position where responding via voice is not an option. Being able to just reply "OK" from my watch would change my life forever.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

ninmeister posted:

You can already do that. When it's asking you to speak, swipe up, there is a good sized list of quick responses.

I am a moron and did not know that feature existed. Thanks!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

My 360 arrived today. Took less than fifteen minutes out of the house to get my first "is that the iWatch?!?!"

Argyle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 24, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Apparently the new update helps with the battery.

It seemed to help mine. Before the update I would take it off the charger at 9:30AM, and it would be nearly dead by 9:30 PM. Yesterday, it was off the charger at 9:30, and when I went to bed at 1:00 AM, I still had over 30% left.

So either the battery gets better with time, or the update seriously worked some wizardry. The improved bluetooth connection might have helped a lot.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch

It absolutely is.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm really disappointed by "ambient mode." It still turns the screen completely off all the time, which I hate. The tricks the watch has to do to get 12 hours out of the underpowered battery is by far the worst part. I was at 22% after 7.5 hours today.

Did you get the software update? In settings, you should have Software Version 4.4W1, tap it and it should show build# 1.0.1.144822. With Ambient off, I'm getting two full work days out of my 360. Heck, yesterday my battery only dropped to 77% between 9 AM and 9 PM.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yup, G Watch R.

The screen/hardware blows away the Moto 360. I'd say the watch is better in every way, except I think I like the 360's appearance as a fashion accessory better... which is not insignificant.

This is why I'm sticking with my 360. Even knowing that the G Watch R will outperform my 360 in almost every capacity, I just really, really prefer the way the 360 looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

G Watch R video review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xQgFBM2kI

Looks ridiculously huge on him. Not so bad on your average whitey

I have never seen a goatee wrap so closely around somebody's lips before.