Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like Google Glass purchases will be open to the public for one day, Tuesday April 15th.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleGlass/posts/HaUCDHtRvcn

What do they have in the way of working, practical apps thus far? I can't imagine many people being interested in paying $1500 for what amounts to little more than a head-mounted camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like the big niche right now is sports: among the best are two different golf apps, a workout coach app (it plays you an exercise in the display and then uses the accelerometer to count your reps), and Strava for both running and cycling.

There's also IFTTT so you can define your own notifications and such to Glass. Couple cooking apps too.

Word Lens, the realtime translation app, is the coolest looking one. That's the app that'll let you look at something in a foreign language and it'll show you the same view, but with the text translated. It works but it will murder your battery.

And then if you want to share photos there's all the various social services you care about and some you don't (FB, Twitter, G+, Tumblr, Path).

Most of the other apps in their "Glassware" portal look pretty useless.

I don't suppose anyone's working on a navigation app? I've been thinking that that would be nice to have for walking around a major city.