Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd have to try it on, but I think it's possible that if the Hint isn't too stupid looking I'd rather have that then a 360 or any other smartwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

I think this is where Apple might not gently caress up watches, do it right or just don't bother. I would much more interested in a Moto 360 had they not crippled it with lovely battery life, price it $100 more, don't put a crap processor in it, put a OLED display with a low power mode in.

I get that it is a relatively new category and they are trying to be price sensitive but what is the point of saving $50-$100 if we are still talking $250 for a crippled product? We aren't exactly at the impulse purchase range.

Android manufacturers do things differently from Apple. This kind of thing where the first generation or two have a lot of compromises is just the way they do it.

If it would have taken them another 6 months to work out all the issues, they would have been missing out on 6 months of selling product. This way they get something out there that some people will buy and that gives them lots of real-world usage data.

Of course, there's downsides as well. They may tarnish their image too much or whatever. Obviously, they decided it was worth doing the release, and I don't think we can say whether it was a bad idea or not.

Personally, I'm always a fan of releasing early and iterating quickly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So, it's a case of internet blowing up over nothing.

Why, I never...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Moto360 day 1. Pulled off the charger at 7:30AM, at 12:45 (5hrs) with light-moderate usage: 76%.
Looked at it frequently, couple reminders, setup/rang an alarm...so its acceptable. More would be nice, but Im not crying at this point. Just gotta get used to wearing a watch again period. Chances of returning it are small, but if somebody wanted one ASAP at a premium Id be open to it.

Screen always on?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingEup posted:

Does a device like this exist?

No.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

grack posted:

Not to challenge a mod or anything, but there are a number of high-end sports watches that fulfill these functions like the Suunto Quest

I think he wants those things he mentioned in addition to the typical things we expect from a smart watch...notifications, apps, etc. This is the wearables thread, after all.

^^ I'm unchallengeable!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingEup posted:

No I do not. I don't even care if it has a screen. It doesn't even have to tell the time. Those four characteristics I listed are the only features I'm interested in.

I think you're in the wrong thread. Maybe try one of the exercise forums or something.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingEup posted:

Why do you say that? I thought this was the wearables thread.

Because, this thread is going to have people familiar with Android Wear, Google Glass, Apple stuff, Pebble, and the like. Those certainly can't do what you're looking for.

You're going to find people who use something more specialized like what you're looking for elsewhere.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

I'm not, the 360 looks much better than the LG watch when they're side by side.

I got an email from Motorola asking if I wanted to refund my purchase because they put the wrong colors on the order page last Friday.

I have no idea how Wear really works in practice, but that bezel sticking up around the LG watch makes me think of cases that stick up around the screen on smartphones and how they make it difficult to swipe from the edge sometimes...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Technically he's right, "Wearables" does stand for "Smartwatches and Activity trackers" the same way "Mobile" stands for "Smartphones and Tablets". I think the situation is a lot like the Windows 8 Tablet thread and the iOS/Android Games threads where the location really comes down to editorial call.

stuff

yep

That's not to say activity tracker discussion isn't welcome here. I encourage and welcome it.

But, right now, if you're looking to get advice right now about the hardcore activity tracker he's looking for, there has been (nearly?) zero discussion of such things here.

Vagrancy posted:

Keeping trackers in the same thread as smartwatches makes sense because they both make up the general category of "bluetooth stuff on your body for your phone".
He specifically said he is not interested in bluetooth stuff for your phone.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Well, there was relatively zero discussion of anything until the Moto 360/Apple Watch hit so that's not the best metric.

Except when there has been discussion of these types of devices in YLLS.

Anyway, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about. I agree that such devices fit into this thread. I think they should be discussed in this thread. I think it's plausible that there are those whose use such devices in this thread. I don't think they've been discussed in this thread in the past. I know they have been in YLLS.

If we're disagreeing about anything it's the thin marginal difference between your probability estimate and mine about where he's most likely to find the greatest number of those who can help him and we're basing our estimates on gut feelings about typical users. I'm sure you wouldn't say you're 100% confident, and neither would I.

That certainly isn't something worth the number of words we've put in to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Vague question here but is the Motorola Hint something to be excited about? I've never used a bluetooth headset before but I've been thinking about picking one up lately, maybe with the new Moto X.

It depends on how visible it is. BT headsets have got the I'm-a-douche thing going for them, so it's going to have either be not very obtrusive, or be obviously not a BT headset.

The idea is great, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing one in person.

ilkhan posted:

No issues with responsiveness in my mind.

How well does the raise to activate feature work? It seems like one of those things that you'll get irritated because it works most of the time, but some times it doesn't...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

Has anyone done a (vaguely) scientific battery comparison of the 360 against the G Watch / Gear Live. Have read reports of it being everywhere from fine to unusably terrible.

Hahaha.

This is the tech community, why would anyone do what you're asking when rumor and innuendo are so fun?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Something I was thinking about today was does a circular smart watch make any sense? Analog watches are circular because the mechanism is circular but the top of wrists are not circular therefor circular watches aren't more comfortable or maximazing display they just cut display space, they are just cutting functional display for an outdated aesthetic. Well that and the gee wiz you don't see many round displays like we had blue LEDs loving everywhere for a while.

Which is fine but for something that isn't going to pass for analog it seems like a big trade off for questionable aesthetic reasons, I wonder how common they will be in a few years if the concept of the smart watch takes off.

It's not a "questionable" aesthetic reason. Aesthetics are important, and to many people round looks better. If you pay attention, we're surrounded by things that are made in less-than-ideal ways because of historical reasons because people now think the way its always been done is the best looking.

Additionally, as far as I can tell it's not a "big" trade off. There's hardly any difference in using a square vs round display.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I'm sure Motorola executives are quite aware of the sunk cost fallacy and why would google put up with supporting such ancient SOC on a nascent platform that they consider very important?

The only thing I can think of is Google fully intends on supporting poo poo chips long term on the platform to get watches at very low price points going forward and having a flagship using poo poo chips sends a message that if someone wants to get into the game with poo poo chips that meet the performance specs they aren't going to be abandoned by Google.

Fun fact: research shows that being aware of fallacies and biases often does little to prevent yourself from falling victim to them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Evil Robot posted:

EDIT: I don't see any fundamental reason why Pebble would be less accurate than a Fitbit given that you're working off of the same input (accelerometer data) as long as the sensors are comparable.

Because accelerometer data from something on your wrist has to be massaged to be semi-accurate as a step counter. Pebble may or may not be as good at massaging that data.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

smackfu posted:

A wrist pedometer is pretty fundamentally inaccurate. But as long as it is somewhat consistent relative to reality, it's useful for its purpose.

I was pretty concerned about this so when I got my fitbit flex I wore a real pedometer on my hip for awhile and the fitbit was never off by more than 7%.

That being said, it all depends on how you walk and the types of activities you commonly do.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/sepm-lg-g-watch-124442

$159 for the G Watch. I've used it for a bit now and for $229, no but I would pay $159 for it today.

Oh and no guessing on if it will get through the day, I get all day battery with full brightness and always on screen.

Too bad it's half as good looking as the 360. Seeing as how these are definitely luxury items, I'll be waiting for the next generation where I can get something that looks good and has solid battery life.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I'm a boring Gap/Polo/J.Crew/Etc dresser and I've run the G Watch by my bitchy fashion forward friends and none of them have said anything negative about it, it doesn't look geeky at all.

There's a difference between "not looking as good" and "looking bad".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

I don't think I've seen my g watch r drop below 60% yet and I wear it from 8am to 10pm most days. After 3.5 hours today it's at 94%.

So you paid for ~60% larger battery than you need!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The Verge has a first look with the Microsoft Band paired with an iPhone 6: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/30/7132901/wearing-the-microsoft-band-is-this-the-next-big-thing-in-fitness

These kinds of things always made more sense to me on the underside anyway, I guess I'd just be worried about whether it actually gets the battery life claimed.

I wonder if the heartrate thing works when you're wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wear my Fitbit Flex 24/7...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I would buy the MS Band so hard if it just disappeared from my consciousness like the Flex does.

As it is, it seems a bit too bulky. Need to check one out in person.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Subterfrugal posted:

-Connection to my phone isn't constant: The Band is paired, but doesn't "connect" to the phone so I can still use my Bluetooth headphones. I'm not sure if it connects to updated data or if it's just passed passively.

I'm a little unclear what this means.

You can usually have multiple BT devices connected to a phone at once.

Anyway, I believe the band is BT LE/4.0/whatever which doesn't maintain a constant connection. So not particular to the band, just the BT protocol it uses.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CrandleBerries posted:

So I purchased a Basis Peak a few days ago.

Well that's pretty bitchin. Do you have a "real" heartrate monitor like a Polar chest band or something to compare heartrate accuracy?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CrandleBerries posted:

its crazy to see how your heart rate changes over time.

Yeah, it was really interesting to me when I started wearing a polar chest band when running. With it connected to my phone, it's neat to see how the heart rate changes with speed/elevation/location.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

We do our grocery shopping at walmart (yet that sucks, but they're the closest grocery store by far) and last night I noticed they had set up a whole display section for wearables. There were probably 20 different models. Mostly fitness trackers, but they had several Android Wear devices, including the 360.

Just thought that was interesting...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sextro posted:

From my own research it seems the Basis Peak and the upcoming similar device from Jawbone (2015 release) might be the best available for what you've mentioned. If the jawbone weren't so promising I'd have bought a peak already.

I think this is the right post.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I get their reasoning behind releasing the band when they did, but it seems like version 2.0 will be much better once they've got the insight from all the early adopters.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need something to just do basic fitness and sleep tracking; heart rate isn't an issue. The only issue is that while I am on my feet most of the date, I work with my hands for a significant portion of it. Will that throw off step measurements? Also, what is the better ecosystem at this point, Jawbone's or Fitbit's? I am on an android phone if it matters.

I like to do carpentry of various sorts and it always throws my fitbit flex off. One thing that happens in particular is that hammering or chiseling or the similar turns sleep mode on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on...

My guess is that the fitbit that clips to your pocket or whatever is a lot better about this, but I'm not sure if that one does sleep tracking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Well, I finally got my 360 setup the way I like it

Man, I was positive I was going to wait for the Moto 360 v2. Now I'm not sure if I can wait!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TollTheHounds posted:

I mean, I know I slept like poo poo last night, why does having it in a graph help?

It only helps if you're willing to put in the effort to isolate variables and track sleep quality. Basically, it helps you experiment.

http://www.gwern.net/Zeo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Not really, hold down the button until the timer shows up, it will start to track calories via heart rate and break out your workout on the website with a minute by minute heart rate. It took me a bit to figure that out.

That's pretty nice. I use a Polar chest strap when I run, but that's a pain. Maybe I'll upgrade from my Flex to the Charge HR...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Dude, you wanted the 360 because round LCDs are still exceedingly rare and as such it looks higher tech, it wasn't some super important personal style issue. It is just like how first green LEDs were on everything and then everything had blue LEDs, then everything had white LEDs and now no one gives a gently caress.

No, round watches are better looking to some people. Sorry, I know you like some of the square ones, but to some people they're less attractive than round.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it's definitely not as good at tracking workouts as a chest strap. It seems to be meant more for tracking overall daily health since you can comfortably wear it all day. I'm not going to work with a chest strap.

Isn't a heart rate monitor that is off 20-40 bpm pretty much useless?

Maybe it's more accurate when you're just sitting around and not running.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Haves and have nots

Really? I mean, are we the comments section on some stupid gadget blog now?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Supradog posted:

My brother has a Mio Link wrist hr monitor that he really likes. They also have models with displays and more stand alone functionality.

[url]http://www.mioglobal.com/en-uk/compare-mio-heart-rate-monitors.htm

There's all these crazy wearables out there that most people have never heard of.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I still use a Flex and the wife uses a Zip. The big difference as far as I can tell is that the Zip tracks flights of stairs (and does so poorly). It seems to work just fine...probably even better than a wrist mounted pedometer since it has less noisy data to work with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

The Zip doesn't do stairs, the One does, maybe you mean that?

My Mum is super happy with her Zip, it's perfect for her in that the UX is literally "bash it with your hand" and the app opens to the exact basic daily stats that she wants to see. She's really happy with it. Good present, good purchase.

Oh gently caress. Yeah. I'm a dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, this Huawei watch is nice lookin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016WQrGexnE

(terrible advertisement, though)