Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mobby_6kl posted:

The problem is the shape - a plain cylinder, rather than thickness as such. My auto Seiko SNK809 is both smaller and thicker than the G Watch R (~38 vs 45mm diameter and 11 vs 9.7mm) for example (not sure about the Huawei) but it doesn't look disproportionally thick because it's made up of three visual layers, with the bottom one being hidden and the top two breaking up the thickness:

And now compare and contrast:

That first picture looks like a much thicker watch to me because of the "busy-ness" and the last two pictures are not at the same angle. If the last picture was at the same angle as the first you'd be able to see the whole bottom beveled "layer".

I mean, I'm not saying that the plain cylinder vs multiple layers thing isn't correct...maybe it is, but none of those pictures support that point to my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

Have fun never getting a house dummy.

Many banks and credit unions do manual underwriting. I bought my first house with a credit score of zero.

Same goes for utilities, health insurance, etc. I mean you've definitely got to do more footwork, but the idea that you have to have a credit score is a myth.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Has there been any word about a 360-2?

I procrastinated so long about getting a 360 because of its downsides, that now I'm thinking I'll just wait for the next generation of Wear devices...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Don't see why they wouldn't - it should have a 1yr warranty on it.

Good luck with Motorola though - I've heard nothing but terrible things from them w/r/t their support.

Motorola support is great and, at least in the Android thread here, their support gets many rave reviews.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's all anecdotal anyway.

That's very insightful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

The fact of the matter is some people will inevitably receive poor support and people are much more likely to be vocal about poor support than good support.

Exactly, which is why the almost universal praise I hear for their support here is surprising and interesting.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

You said this literally two pages ago and I presented myself as someone as proof that you are wrong. You need to accept that a lot of people hate the flat tire for a legit reason.

I don't think the emotion of hate for a design element on a watch is ever legit!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I think the Apple Watch is ugly. Like...really ugly...compared to the Moto 360 or that Huawei Watch.

People will still buy the Apple Watch, even if they might, in a double-blinded scenario, prefer the looks of another smartwatch. This is because of the brand loyalty and cachet Apple has built for itself. Brand loyalty and cachet aren't something to look down on, using past experiences as a guide for purchases is a good heuristic for someone to choose a product to buy.

But the Apple Watch outselling Android Wear devices doesn't say a whole lot about the style relative to other smart watches other than that, if its aesthetic appeal is on average lesser than some other smart watches, it's not lesser-enough to outweigh other factors.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

AW had a chance to define "cool" and they didn't do it, which is just mindboggling.

I don't think this is mindboggling, I think it should have been expected. (in fact I bet Google did expect it to play out exactly as it has)

In fact, I'd say that they just could not have defined "cool". No one besides Apple has the position to create "cool".

Android Wear doesn't make any products, it's basically just a set of UI guidelines and APIs.

Individual AW-using manufacturers are all tiny, more risk-averse, and have less talent compared to Apple. It's not terribly unlikely that Apple will improve the market for Android Wear using devices just like the iPhone did for Android in general. All those Android Wear-using manufacturers will benefit from Apple's investments and risk-taking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Apple watch is good

I don't think anyone here has said it was bad, so... OK?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Karki posted:

This. All this sobbing about people not recognizing your cool android wear watch

I also don't think anyone is doing this, it's just funny.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

It's good, and millions of them will sell.

And?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TraderStav posted:

First day with the 360. Took it off the charger at 6:30am. It's 5:30 and at 6%. What am I doing wrong? Ambient mode is off. Any other settings driving this or what?

From what I've read you'll get better battery life the longer you have it. I'm guessing this has something to do with the fact that the newness will wear off and you won't mess with it as much...

How is the accuracy on Android Wear pedometer? Anyone compared it to something like the Fitbit Flex and/or a hip-mounted pedometer?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Also if you have an Android phone I believe there are a few apps on the store that use Android's automatic driving detection feature to automatically write the driving activity into your Fitbit daily log.

This would be neat, but I can't seem to find any. DriveBit requires you to just manually mark when you're driving...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Thinking about getting an Apple iWatch. It looks pretty good.

Agreed!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Apple Watch preorders have been so successful, they've had to push the in-store release date back nearly two months because they don't have stock to meet anticipated demand.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/16/when-can-i-buy-an-apple-watch/

Around a million units pre-ordered in the first three days of availability, supposedly.

Exciting news!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eric posted:

It is pretty exciting. There may be a future for wearables.

I think you're understating it!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'll clean up or clarify each threads purpose later.

edit: I guess there's not much to clear up. Apple Watch in the Apple Watch thread, Android Wear in the Android Wear thread, Pebble in the Pebble thread, everything else in here.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Things are looking up for wearables - the Apple Watch is predicted to ship 15 million units for 2015!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102602586

Best news all day! Thanks for sharing!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

oh I had assumed we could discuss the Apple Watch here because it's a Wearables thread.

The Apple Watch isn't a wearable, it's an experience.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Does anyone have their Apple Watch yet?

Millions of people. Have you been living under a rock?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why are you giving him a hard time for asking about a wearable in the wearable thread?

Tusen Takk posted:

Dropping in to say that my Space Grey Apple Watch Sport is truly suiting my needs

Being honest, I wasn't going to buy one until I found out I would get a 50% discount on it, and I only really wanted one for the fitness and cardio aspect of it. I'm not sure that I would have paid $399 + tax but ask me again in a few months.

This isn't the Apple Watch thread.

Stop being children.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MachinTrucChose posted:

EDIT: it seems like I didn't read the reviews close enough. Having read a few more, and some forum discussions, it appears the Charge HR simply cannot provide accurate measurement (or anywhere close) during training. Which begs the question, what the hell is the point of paying extra for the HR feature over the Charge? Why isn't this the #1 thing the reviews bring up? Why would people care about HR monitoring if they're not exercising?
I dunno, it feels like it's widely reported that the HR sensor is pretty flaky.

The Wirecutter mentions it multiple times, but they still recommend it over the Charge because of its better clasp.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Milkman posted:

Considering getting some kind of fitness band. Looking to track runs/cycling/sleep. Stair-climbing and sleep cycle alarms are a big bonus. Don't care about phone notifications but being able to double as a watch would be nice. Looks like the options are the Jawbone which is subject to fall-apart and the Fitbit Charge which requires uploading your soul to their servers?

For my money, the Charge is the better choice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Get the Charge HR, even if you don't need HR it has a better clasp and it's only a $20 price difference.

Yeah, this is what I meant.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Look into life logging cameras. I don't know anything about them but I've seen them pop up on the radar a few times over the past few years.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cop gay. So What posted:

I know you posted this over a month ago but in case anyone else has this problem...

You have to manually log biking in the Fitbit web dashboard (fitbit.com -> click Log tab -> click Activity -> Scroll down). You have to hunt a bit but you can find it. If you log the time-frame you're biking, it will automatically adjust your steps and stair count. It will not do this automatically, but no amount of software is going to be able to do that - at it's heart it's just a pedometer and will be fooled by any number of physical activities.

I have to take mine off before I brush my teeth because otherwise it logs a hundred or so incorrect steps.
The fitbit isn't accurate enough for 100 steps to matter.

Heck even if it was perfectly accurate, 100 steps isn't going to matter.

Unless you're only walking like 200 steps a day, it's already logging (or not logging when it should) hundreds of Inaccurate steps daily if you're getting 5k+ steps daily.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

It's not 100 steps.

I'm not sure what you mean...

Cop gay. So What posted:

I have to take mine off before I brush my teeth because otherwise it logs a hundred or so incorrect steps.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

eddiewalker bikes with his on, cop gay so what brushes his teeth. The first logs more than 100, the second doesn't.

Well yes, I'm not sure what that has to do with my post though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I might be crazy, but the Samsung S2 looks pretty sweet. I really like that rotating bezel and it seems like a pretty sleek looking smartwatch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about Google cardboard? I just bought a plastic one with a strap, so its wearable. Is there any update on the view master branded one?

Seems like this would be a good thread to me!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vintimus Prime posted:

Looks like the S2 will go on sale 10/2 (Friday) for 299, and the classic for 349. Pretty decent pricing. Anyone going to bite the bullet and purchase?

I really like the looks of it. I'll wait for reviews and see how well it compares to using an Android Wear device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don't Lol me posted:

Anyone have any idea of the actual EU/UK release date of the Huawatch? Googling shows most of the articles are from the start of September, and we're well past any semblance of an October release date - can't find an UK online store that will allow preorder or even mention a price.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's so frustrating that the S2 is not Android Wear. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Len posted:

Does anyone know how durable fitbits are?

very

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Also remember that, AFAICT, these HR sensors are kind of lovely in that they don't work well for some not-insubstantial portion of people. I have just normal white dude arms and neither a Charge HR nor a Moto 360 can reliably read heartrate data.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That is a pretty nice watch. The OS even looks really good. I'm just not sure if I could get myself to give up the larger app selection of Android Wear.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'd really like to replace my Flex. I'm thinking about the Band 2...how does its pedometer/movement-tracking accuracy compare to the Flex or other Fitbit products?

Most smartwatches have poo poo accuracy for their pedometer, so I'm just wonderin...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

My average fitbit step count was about 10k-12k but with the band 2 it's about half that. At first it irritated me but I'm sure now that the fitbit was inflating the count pretty badly. Like it or not though, fitbit is the baseline that people use, including insurance companies or whatever.

I spent a lot of time with a real actual pedometer and my Flex back when I first got it a long time ago. The Flex was never more than about 8% off (high).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

Been thinking about getting a smart watch just because they look kinda fun to gently caress around with. I like the look of the Moto 360 and would definitely want something running Android wear, as they seem the most versatile. Do they do yearly updates on these things or is a new one coming out soon? What are some of the really cool or goofy/neat things you can do with these things?

Rumor is that Google will be releasing their own smartwatch in a week.