Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hotsauce posted:

So crosspostin from the Android Wear thread. Made a grumpy over there, so maybe you all will love me here:

Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

Please see my reply on the AW thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Spermanent Record posted:

I was quite tempted by the Gear S3 but this pic on XDA has put me off.

I guess Samsung only care about their PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS when they can be photographed for adverts.

Well, i mean...every product has instances of breakage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Vivoactive HR has great functionality ruined by the fact that it ugly, ugly, ugly, and huge.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It seems like the only reason to buy it is if you think its so much more fashionable than the Charge HR. It's the same price with less features (depending on how much you weigh its fashionability as a feature). And by "less features" I mean it looks like the HR has every single feature the Alta HR has plus some.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

god this blows posted:

I am interested in it as it has the highest battery life rating.

Oh yeah, thats a good point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sweethome updated their fitness tracker recommendations.

The main reason I share it here is that they've got a lot of pretty good comparative analysis showing how pedometry and heart-rate monitoring compare.

Just a couple of samples:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, but who couldve guessed that there own app store wouldn't work out?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I predict failure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bill Barber posted:

You'd be surprised. I see SO MANY loving soccer mom's with the Blaze. $300 is probably too much, but I wouldn't automatically count it out.

Huh.

I don't know that I've ever seen one in Real Life and, as a dad with a daughter at just the right age, I'm around soccer moms all the time. I wonder what the sales have been like on the thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

logikv9 posted:

got a gear s2 for 100 refurbished and it owns

too bad :samsung: but it's otherwise incredible

Yeah, that thing is pretty great. I wish the app situation was better, but still its good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just thought I'd post this here since I just figured it out.

I forgot to turn off an exercise on my Fitbit Charge so it was like 7 hours of time on the elliptical.

Turns out you can't edit the duration of an exercise in the Android app.

However, you can install the Fitbit app from the microsoft store on windows and it lets you edit the duration there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Android 9 finally broke the Band 2 app haha. gently caress Google; what kind of operating system does that with no way to roll back? My next phone was already going to be iOS or Andromeda if that ever materializes but god drat.

It's fairly common for not-updated apps to stop functioning on newer OS's.

And you can roll back your OS on your phone.

Your post is a miasma of wrongness.

Anyway, the Charge3 might meet some peoples needs. Think Charge 2 but you can get notifications from any app, not just text messages. Also can do canned replies to messages.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

Are there any inexpensive smart bands that sync with google Fit. The recent update went whole hog on needing heart rate monitoring and I'm debating becoming the product and finally turn on all active tracking.

Huawei Band 2 Pro
Mi Band 2 (or probably the soon-to-be-released Mi Band 3)

That's the only fitness band things I could find compatible with Fit at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If you already have a fitbit, I did just find this app that keeps your fitbit data synced to Google Fit.

It can do it automatically every hour, every day, or on demand. Seems to be working fine for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I like my Charge 2, but I would definitely not get one right now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

My Charge 2 doesn't have any problems staying connected with my OG Pixel. But I do know lots of people have problems with Fitbit bluetooth. My wife is always having problems with her Versa and her OG Pixel.

Anyway, I find the HRM on the Charge 2 to be decent. Not as good as my Polar chest strap, but it seems to be good enough.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The HR sensor isn't the most accurate during exercise, but that applies to every PPG sensor basically. Fitbit, Garmin et al, all the same poo poo show.

This is true, but I wanted to point out that part of the poo poo show is that the heart sensor is inconsistently inconsistent. In other words, for some people they seem to work better than for others.

As I mentioned a few posts back my current Charge 2 HR sensor is not terribly worse than my Polar chest strap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cougar cub posted:

I’ve been trying out the Garmin vivosport and it’s been fine so far. Biggest complaint is that Garmin Connect has only offers single session stats for activities that aren’t running / swimming / cycling / walking. I want to be able to track the different sports I play damnit. I can fake it by saying I’m swimming when I’m actually playing basketball but it’s annoying and seems so short sighted on Garmin’s behalf.

It looks like Polar has the most extensive stat tracking and reporting - especially once you go through the website. I’d be willing to try an a370 if the reporting is better. What are current or previous users thoughts on Polar Flow app and website?

I haven't used them in a while, but I assume they're still the same...They're kind of like what you should expect for a company that isn't like a super modern internet-first company. They mostly work, but the UI and UX is subpar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

This seems like a stupid question (and the wrong thread?), but:
I have a FitBit Inspire HR and an Android phone. I use Strava and the FitBit app (and occasionally the Google Fit app, but not much). I have no idea how to track a session on a stationary bike.

Strava doesn't have anything in the app. I can log into the website and log it as an "indoor" ride, but that's not really the same thing.

The FitBit app doesn't have the function to track anything beyond a walk, a run, or a hike. I can manually add an exercise, but no option about riding a stationary bike. The app picks up my elevated heart rate, but doesn't designate it as an "exercise".

When I added an indoor ride in Strava, it syncs with FitBit, but, like, several hours off from when I exercised and double counts my calories burned.

I can track a stationary bike ride in Fit, but that doesn't sync with Strava or FitBit, and is thus useless for me.

Doing an after-the-fact indoor ride in Strava is my best bet, but there has got to be an easier way to say that I exercised on a stationary bike in either a fitness tracking app or a cycling app!
Does the fitbit app have an option for spinning or a spinner? With my charge 2, in the app you can go to exercise shortcuts and add spinning.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What's "false" about the accomplishment?

Also, yes, the Versa sucks at syncing. It's a pretty stark example of how much review sites suck since you constantly see it recommended on sites like the verge.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Two companies terrible at BT. Does that mean it'll be twice as bad or half as bad?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Garmin 645 Music is half off today. $200 bucks.

According to camelcamelcamel, this is actually half off compared to its regular price instead of one of those "half off a price the thing never sells for anyway".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

So running is a waste of time?

If your goal is calorie burning, it's hard to get a lot more calories from running vs a good walking speed.

It's not really a function of distance, it's a function of time spent exerting yourself. Walking 5 miles will take a lot longer than running 5 miles.

Running will burn something like 13 calories per minute and walking will do something like 8...but it all depends on what your running and walking exertion levels are and your general fitness level.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Speaking of the Versa...

Wife used to have problems with her Versa maintaining connection with her Pixel. Twice a week she'd have to follow half a dozen steps to reset the connection or whatever.

Yesterday she mentioned she hasn't had to do anything to it in several months...it's just worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Does it at least count the steps towards the daily total

hah!