Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Splizwarf posted:

I see this as an anti-Glass reason a lot, but video-recording wearables have been around for at least thirty years. I've wanted a Looxie for a while (their prototype debuted in 2008) and that just looks like a Bluetooth earpiece.

At least Glass is obvious and visible to people who are concerned about being recorded, most of the other types are trying to be unseen or actively concealed.

I think the issue is more that Glass is a device they want to make ubiquitous, which is also capable of recording. It's not like walking around with a dedicated camera attached to you, obviously for the purposes of recording video, it's just a general device they want everyone to have. You wouldn't assume every time you see someone messing with their phone that they're surreptitiously recording video, and with Glass you wouldn't even be able to tell if they're using it at all. In terms of voyeurism or whatever it'll definitely be hiding it in plain sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think you can do all the controlling by touch too, or most of the basic stuff, and yeah people will get around the LED if they want to. It's not really about Glass itself though, more that this is kind of a big shift in what will be normal for people to have, and how it will change privacy and public space. When cameraphones got popular it meant that there was always someone, somewhere, ready and able to document what was going on, which changes people's behaviour. Social networking meant it could be shared with the world instead of just the photographer's immediate friends, which makes people even more guarded (or can have consequences if they're not guarded enough).

If these become popular, potentially every public space could become documented by default. Like CCTV and microphones everywhere, ubiquitous and accepted. How's that going to affect people psychologically, or society in general?

Also has anyone ever read Accelerando? It might be a common concept, but part of it involves people in the future using these kinds of wearables, not just for recording but also as a kind of mental augmentation - having the device perform tasks like research and analysis, like virtual assistants, keeping track of relevant info and notifying the user when something important happens, all hooked into the mind to the point where it becomes a part of who the person is, they're so used to using it constantly. So if they can't use the device for whatever reason, it's like a huge part of them is missing, they feel slow and stupid and they're unable to function 'normally'. Meanwhile Google is developing Google Now...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that's a good point too - I wasn't saying the shift is necessarily bad, just that it will probably have a major effect, even if it's outwardly a subtle one. And the general accessibility stuff is fantastic as well. That's what I was talking about with the novel really - people so used to having all this additional knowledge and capability that it's a shock when they're back to their normal naked state. A lot of people already rely heavily on computers and phones for their day to day lives, being able to quickly look things up or be informed of things they need to remember, so I can totally see this ramping up as wearables become this ubiquitous presence. Not necessarily a bad thing, and for some people it could transform their lives, yeah

Although you can guarantee when these get well-known groups like ATOS will be making drat sure people can't use them in interviews. Confidentiality and all that, it's for your own good sir! But by then the government will probably have made sure that anyone who'd want to do this couldn't afford a pair anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh that was more of a 'the British government are actively demonising the vulnerable and driving people into poverty' comment. But that's for the UK thread.

Yeah honestly I see Glass having a high-end-smartphone price point, especially if they manage to mass produce it. And developer kits always come at a premium anyway, even if the hardware has been released generally. Guess we won't have to wait long to find out though!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Any word on what these things are running? L developer preview? I'm just wondering if the Project Volta battery gains stuff (and whatever ART helps with, although it might be under the same umbrella) is in place yet

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Three Olives posted:

That is straight up bullshit, what the hell Motorola?

Well they're taking that 1.1 Wh rating at face value, and not the 300 mAh, for some reason. Multiply 0.3Ah by 3.8 and you get 1.14 Wh, which does round to 1.1

I mean it's still a smaller battery than they said, which is kinda lovely

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Argyle posted:

Got this email from Motorola this morning:

That lovely typography makes it look like an internet prank someone knocked out in 5 minutes. Hell so does the writing - "it's meant to work with a phone"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh I wasn't talking about the explanation that it's meant to be paired with a phone - plus it makes sense to get an ad in for the Moto X too. I meant the actual ad copy reads like amateur hour. It's meant to be a marketing release for a major new product line, you'd expect phrases like 'designed to be paired with an Android phone like the upcoming Moto X', and not 'you're meant to use a phone with it, you can like pre-order one while you're at it' in a crappy font

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Although I'm fully android for my phone and will not be switching back, I usually think apple has the better design choices. I honestly think the moto 360 is the best designed watch out there when it comes to the realistic watch faces you can put on it and the apple watch looks like complete garbage. The os looks hideous too

Something about the Apple watch reminds me of the watches you can get in those vending machines where everything's in a ball. It feels like they started from 'square screen' and then made design choices based on trying to add roundness where they could, it looks sort of weird and tacky. But functionally a square is better for the things we typically use screens for - every part of it is equally useful, whereas on a round watch you have to use the middle area for something like more than a minimal amount of text.

It'll be interesting to see how much Apple influences things though, they might set a trend - in smartwatches anyway. Also it's kinda funny in a way, if you look at old 50s and 60s sci-fi they tended to make all the video screens round, including little video watches people would talk to. The aesthetic was always cute and quaint compared to the functional designs we actually ended up with - but now the watches are here, and they're circular!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that looks awkwardly huge on a lot of the people modelling it

But yeah, probably fine for people with bigger wrists or for just Getting Exercise Done. I like that 'it's water-resistant' shot though, there's almost no water on the model's arm so it looks like they just gobbed on the watch

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

They'll probably look better as they get more prevalent (especially since Apple's one is square) - I think everyone's more used to round watches and how nicely they suit their function. Making it an actual screen with other utility changes that, just depends how that plays out really.

Still, it depends on the design - round ones look nicer and a round screen is a New Thing which is automatically interesting, so the squares have a bit of catching up to do. And I don't like that one Three Olives posted a while back (in that photo at least) because it sort of looks like something an engineer made at home with a small display panel, making a watch as a proof of concept. Cool and all but not exactly elegant design

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Three Olives posted:

https://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/5940J_001.html
http://us.tagheuer.com/en/luxury-watches/monaco-watch

This argument is insane, you can say you think the G Watch and Apple watch are ugly, that you are personally more attracted to round watch faces as a fashion accessory but the just say they inharently are more watch like or look more high end in the context of analog watches is just not substantiated by the current or past high end watch market.

The vast, vast, vast majority of watches are round, for a reason. Of course there are square ones, but those tend to be seen as a design statement because of it. Popularity is completely subjective, but they're still in the minority. Maybe with screen functionality smartwatches will start to pull that trend back

And come on, that first link? I don't think you could find a 'square' watch any more reluctant to stray from circular forms. Pretty much makes the whole point

e- I was going to say square analogue watches and clocks tend to feel really 70s to me, then I read the blurb on that Monaco one and... yep! Not that it's a bad thing, but personally it feels like a bit of a clash to have new modern technology using a dated design (as in one that evokes a past design trend, not "old and sucks"). Maybe I'll feel differently when I get used to seeing them with screens and different watch faces though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 18, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Skywalker OG posted:

Verizon is selling the LG GWatch for 100. Is this a mistake to purchase?

You probably got it already if you're getting it, but there's $50 Play Store credit if you buy yr watches there today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The goon dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdWQQjmsuTo

Apparently it's secretly Sony, and it's probably not even going to be a smartwatch (if it appears at all), but who knows what the future may hold???