Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't really see the point with current technology, except for fitness applications. It makes sense to not want to carry a phone with you if you're running, but otherwise my phone can do all that stuff and has basically the bare minimum screen size for comfortable use. I guess it's kind of neat that a watch could display the weather or "now playing" or whatever, but the experience is much better IMO with a phone-sized UI.

Now, when voice recognition gets a bit better (Siri is pretty good, but still not really usable without a nice display) and/or we have the technology to do the display on MagicSpecs or whatever, it'd make sense to have a watch-sized computer. But until then we'd still need to interact with the thing and read the information, and so a watch-sized screen or input device isn't going to cut it.

Even in the future, though, I think I'd rather have the watch look like a normal watch. I like mechanical analogue watches.
I always view them as phone companions rather than complete phone replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU