Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Takes No Damage posted:

Any general fitness tracker recommendations for '22 or are things largely the same as last year? Looking for Father's Day gifts to replace an aging FitBit.

Not looking for anything super fancy, the primary wants are heart rate and step counter, with water resist being a plus. Should I just look up modern FitBit vs Garmin comparisons? Any phone integration would be Android if it matters.

You might do well with the MiBand / Amazfit range - cheap, long battery life, waterproof. Reviews often criticise the GPS accuracy but they're otherwise very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Garmin vivoactive are a decent "non-sporty" user choice since they have big screens and are designed for normal people. Just avoid the 3 series if you still find it around.

They are. I got one, albeit with the smaller screen. I wouldn't call them non-sporty so much as accessible and useful for people who aren't hardcore athletes, which a lot of the other Garmins are clearly aimed at. It's a good watch, so so battery life (5 days), good tracking and customisation.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
The Amazfit bands are a solid performing low-end entry. Keeps a charge, does a lot of the basic stuff. It'd be a good solution for a lot of people.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
My broad comment about any Garmin kit is that it's good but the phone-side app is a bit clunky. You might attribute it to them not having as good access to or experience with phone internals as (say) Google, but for whatever reason it's a bit complicated and fiddly, e.g. figuring out how to change the watchface on your device