Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Whatever happened to SixthSense?

http://www.pranavmistry.com/projects/sixthsense/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-VjUKAsao

Imagine if this had been released open source as the creator promised. By now you would have people making rigs with dual depth-sensor cameras and pico projectors attached to a shirt or jacket while the smartphone/tablet/ultrabook running it could fit in a pocket or pouch.

I'm currently going to uni hoping to work on stuff like this in the future, specifically making computers more accessible to people through ergonomic accessories and UI's. Still a long way off on that and making do currently with a smartphone on a neck lanyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A computer with a built in GPS, some form of voice recognition, probably semi-constant monitoring of your viewpoint for next-gen streetview and god knows what else.

Yeah that's going to be a great target for muggers when the wearer can take a photo in seconds and instantly share it to god knows how many social networks or send it straight to the local police station with brand new Security app 2014!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Pretty sure that taking photos or recording videos with glass causes an LED to light up and requires voice commands like "Ok glass, take a picture."

Sure that could probably be changed by rooting it and a piece of tape could easily hide the LED but it'll give you an indication when the average creep on the street is trying to be creepy.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
You see I'm not too worried about that although I do acknowledge that it will be abused I see the benefits far outweighing the costs. It was only a couple months back when Google Now automatically woke me up for a medical appointment I'd forgotten about. It even shifted the time to take traffic into account and provided a one click card to open up real time navigation.

As for Glass itself, it can be thought of as an external mental augmentation similar to the physical augmentation of a Cyberdyne HAL suit. I'd like to get my hands on both of those as I've suffered from chronic pain and impaired mobility for most of my life. Pain/fatigue make it difficult to focus at times while I as well as thousands of others put up with daily abuse from members of the public and government employees trying to "get the filthy cripples off welfare!".

Sadly first gen Glasses look like they'll be prohibitively expensive just like the HAL suits otherwise I'd happily use one to film my next ATOS assessment. That's one thing where this kind of technology can be a great bonus, minorities with access to Glass will be posting a lot of videos showing the abuse they receive from bigots in first person format.

A recording of someone who looks different being threatened and insulted has a lot less psychological impact than a POV shot of someone getting up in your face while screaming slurs. I'm pretty sure that will cause rapid societal change.