Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ev posted:

So I got a Microsoft Band as a belated gift and it's awesome. It tells me who's calling, shows new messages and emails, weather info, pretty much everything I wanted it to do, plus it seems to track my sleep fairly accurately and it wakes me up just fine with the vibrations.

Just throwing that out there in case anyone was on the fence about it, I love it but then again I must hate myself because I have a Windows Phone.... so take from that what you will.

I think there is general agreement that as a product the Microsoft Band works, it is just otherwise a very flawed product not worth the money.

The test is if you actually use it, the band is another product straddling the Smartwatch/Fitness wearable market and all of them are horribly flawed so far. Which is why I have worn a Fitbit for over a year along with a smart watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Crayvex posted:

I don't know. I have had a Band for three months and I love it. I used to have a Fitbit force but I wanted something with more functionality. I think of it as a health band with notification functions.

Do you use it for everyday wear or just for working out? It's a really intriguing device I think for working out but I still think the Charge HR hits the sweet spot between comfortable every day wear/sleep tracking and workout tracking but I also wear a smart watch so I look like a dork wearing both at the same time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Mine is spot on most of the time, I double-checked with a Polar belt and another product. It seems to vary wildly for users for some reason.

Same here. I have a feeling that body fat and skin tone are way, way underplayed by Fitbit on it's effectiveness at reading heart rate.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

My Charge HR has been quite accurate on heart rate. I don't have any tattoos on my wrist and have pretty fair skin so maybe that factors in.

My veins are pretty visible under regular light and one is right underneath the HR sensor so that may contribute to as why works well for me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

For my money, the Charge is the better choice.

Get the Charge HR, even if you don't need HR it has a better clasp and it's only a $20 price difference.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I really like the looks of it. I'll wait for reviews and see how well it compares to using an Android Wear device.

Same, I will probably wait for details on the 3G version before biting the bullet though, if they manage to keep the size down and put a decent running/music app on it I will probably buy it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Rumor is that Google will be releasing their own smartwatch in a week.

That was when Wear 2.0 was scheduled for fall, seems reasonable if it is going to happen the release would be pushed back to Spring with Wear 2.0.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If anyone is looking to buy a Fitbit Charge 2 Walgreens has a crazy good deal right now. Spend Over $60 and get 18,000 points, plus 35,000 for buying a Fitbit Charge HR 2. So basically $70 in Walgreens credit for spending $150. Also there is a Visa checkout promo for $10 off. And you can stack Walgreens points on top of that as the maximum you can spend is $50 on one purchase.

I've been hoarding my Walgreens points so I redeemed $50 worth, took the $10 Visa credit, then get back a little over $70 in Walgreens credit.

So basically the Charge 2 cost me $30.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Doesn't seem to be much interest but today is the last day to buy a Charge 2 at Walgreens and get back around $70 in Walgreens credit + $10 off with Visa Checkout. It looks like the best black friday deal on the Charge 2 is going to be $129 so if you shop at Walgreens this is a great deal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

JayKay posted:

Does anyone know if any of the new Fitbit models suffer from the "bubble banding" issues? I'm on my 4th Charge HR (all previous were replaced under warranty for the same bubble issue) and now that I'm out of warranty, Fitbit won't replace it. While they did offer me a discount on a new wearable, I'm hesitant to purchase another.

The new Charge should not considering the band is removable and the brains part of it is stainless steel and plastic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

JayKay posted:

And they're only $109 on Amazon right now. :v: So very tempting.

Yeah, I bought mine from Walgreens, $150. Then $70 in Walgreens points, $10 Visa Checkout credit, then I redeemed $50 of points I was hoarding.

Well worth $30.

Actually I really like it, it's a little stiffer than the Charge HR but the build quality is much better and the screen looks amazing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So this is either really good news or really lovely news...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/30/13802996/fitbit-buy-pebble-deal-reportedly-close

Pebble is dead, Fitbit is apparently buying the ashes.

As an owner of both products Fitbit's notification system is useless, Pebble's is good to great. Pebble's fitness tracking is poo poo, Fitbit is good to great.

So either Fitbit will combine their really good embedded hardware and software with Pebble's OS and come out with a the first non-Apple watch that is both a great fitness tracker and a great smartwatch or one of the best smartwatch makers is being scraped for IP and talent.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm really glad they are improving the sleep tracking, I have found that is one of the most underrated features of Fitbit. Whenever I am feeling lovely I check my sleep history and if I see I'm not getting enough sleep or sleeping poorly it is actionable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Is the Charge HR still cool and good? Been thinking on and off about getting one for the last year or so and I found a nearby deal on what I guess is last year's model. I exercise pretty much daily (running and/or lifting) but currently have a Forerunner 110 I use for the running part, which is barebones feature-wise but still chugging along after five years or so of use.

I wouldn't, it had quality control issues and honestly the Charge HR 2 is a huge upgrade.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

My Charge 2 finally updated to sleep stages the other day and I have to say it is pretty drat cool if their accuracy claims are true and I have no reason to believe that they are not. For instance on Tuesday it shows me waking up right out of REM sleep and I had a vivid memory of a dream I was having when I woke up and then last night it shows when I was woken up by my partner getting into bed as being in deep sleep and I remember being completely out of it when he woke me up and falling right back to sleep.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nokia Health is probably on it's way out.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, while I don't think it's worth getting upset over, it's not unreasonable to want your watch to show you the date.

Yeah, my job is very deadline specific and subject to audits so I’m looking at the date on my watch constantly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Corporate fandoms are just so bizarre, like there are people desperate, DESPERATE to work retail for AT&T. Like not I need a job, it's not that they think it pays particularly well, they just inexplicably think AT&T is just an awesome company to work for and they will get to play with the latest tech gadgets all the time and have fun all day. :iiam:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

(9to5 Google posted:

While Glass lives on as an enterprise product, it never came close to reaching Google’s wildly ambitious vision of replacing the smartphone. Others have since entered the smart glasses space, with North being one of the more notable players. Alphabet is now rumored to be acquiring North after Focals sold poorly.

The Globe and Mail this evening reports that North is in the “final stages” of an acquisition from Alphabet. Google’s parent company is said to be paying $180 million for the Canadian company.

This comes after North in December stopped selling Focals to focus on launching second-generation smart glasses sometime in 2020. “Focals 2.0” has been teased over the past several months with North claiming that they would be the “most significant product introduction to date in the category.”

A “lighter” and “sleeker” design would have a “10x display,” while miniaturizing the technology by 40%.

I hope this works out, I've been super intrigued by these since the first version, almost bought a pair, I could just never bring myself to do so without using them in person first. I absolutely love my Apple Watch, and find the notifications INCREDIBLY helpful for work, almost to the point of vital to me at this point but the watch glance has always been so conspicuous.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

AMAZON ANNOUNCES HALO, A FITNESS BAND AND APP THAT SCANS YOUR BODY AND VOICE
It makes a 3D model of your body and tracks the emotional tone in your voice
The microphone on the Amazon Halo band isn’t meant for voice commands; instead it listens to your voice and reports back on what it believes your emotional state was throughout the day. If you don’t opt in, the microphone on the Band doesn’t do anything at all.

Can't wait to send Amazon nudes and have it track my emotional state.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Gangringo posted:

What is the most comfortable device to measure blood oxygen overnight on an iPhone?

We had planned to wait to get the new Apple Watch when it comes out for the blood sugar monitoring, but my grandmother is having health problems and we need to be sure she is getting enough oxygen while she sleeps.

There are actual FDA certified medical products for this situation is this is a legitimate medical concern, she needs to be talking to her doctor about these concerns, not Something Awful.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I think all SleepNumber beds have sleep tracking, while I understand the tech I still think it is absolutely nuts that our bed can figure out our heart and breath rate though an air tube.

And honestly, I have found the sleep metrics helpful. Probably not as actionable as I can make it, but it is nice to know that it's not all in my head when I feel like garbage at work and have no idea why.

Also, the SleepNumber was worth every penny, I have no idea why people find them so divisive, we have never slept better in our lives.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I have one and it’s Ok? Main problem is that my SO and I have different numbers and she sleeps weird so sometimes the bed gets off centered.

Granted we only have the queen so maybe the king is a lot better.

We have a king iLE, so yeah, things may differ significantly on other models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I really, really, really hate myself for asking this, but has anyone tried the Echo Frames?

I find myself listening to more and more podcasts and audiobooks and while my Sony Linkbuds are great for that in the office but I oddly feel like Echo frames might be a little less dorky than this:

For basically the same functionality.

Pre-edit: I am not completely insane, I have an FSA and my company reimburses me $2,800 a year for medical expenses, it's use it or lose it, last year I didn't use $1,200, apparently since I am blind if I pop some prescription lenses in them they are FSA and healthcare reimbursement eligible.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 17, 2024