Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they were testing them at the event they were using 2014 Xs and Gs running 4.4.4 I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a Google Now issue too.

Better never close the weather if you still want to see it before the next day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

360 has an awful CPU and the G Watch has an awful screen type.

Come on now, how hard is it really?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's ugly and it does all the same stuff other smart watches do.

And it's not ready for 6 months.

Turnquiet posted:

It keeps the screen off unless you raise your wrist, just like the rest. Doesn't setting that on the 360 fix its battery life problems? 360 also doesn't look like a samsung product, so its got that going for it too.

It helps get it closer to reasonable but it's still pretty bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ijyt posted:

I just want enough people to buy the Moto360 so I can buy the Moto360-2.

It's going to be called the Moto One.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess I'm not really surprised watch nerds are into that ugly thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

baka kaba posted:

That lovely typography makes it look like an internet prank someone knocked out in 5 minutes. Hell so does the writing - "it's meant to work with a phone"

In the Apple press conference thread we had people thinking Android Wear devices work with iPhones.

(Obviously they didn't know "Android Wear" is the actual name, they're not that dumb.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Eh, it requires a lot of background services to kick notifications and such to the watch, and there's no layer on iOS that apps could talk to for routing things to the watch. And Pebble has shown that it's harder to get rich notifications from iOS than it is Android.

Also unlike apps for Google services, allowing Android Wear on an iPhone has no benefit for Google except the sliver of the sale price they get.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Something I was thinking about today was does a circular smart watch make any sense? Analog watches are circular because the mechanism is circular but the top of wrists are not circular therefor circular watches aren't more comfortable or maximazing display they just cut display space, they are just cutting functional display for an outdated aesthetic. Well that and the gee wiz you don't see many round displays like we had blue LEDs loving everywhere for a while.

Which is fine but for something that isn't going to pass for analog it seems like a big trade off for questionable aesthetic reasons, I wonder how common they will be in a few years if the concept of the smart watch takes off.

The watch faces are still circles. If you use a digital clock watchface you are the worst.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they don't call it the Apple Pi I will be so angry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every generation of Thinkpad has been worse since Lenovo took over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I've had my G watch a few days now and I have to say Google Wear is just so immature I'm glad I only paid $115 and not $250 for a Moto 360. In raw actual functionality I would put it just a step above my Pebble once you consider the readability of the ePaper display coupled with the battery, size and weight.

It's probably worth $115-$150 but there are a lot of Google now voice commands that work well on the phone and would work well on the watch but are inexplicably broken to the point where it makes a lot of it seem pointless. Wear 2.0 is apparently imminent and it's been heavily implied that is going to be fleshed out a lot more so I would suggest holding out until 2.0 and seeing if something launches with it that isn't making a bunch of compromises.

Well you actually received it so that's a bunch of steps above a Pebble.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

What? Is there some Pebble shipping problem I hadn't heard about? They have been widely available in stores for months and months.

Pebbles sent to Canada tend to disappear.

You have to be really amateur to mess up US to Canada in 2014.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a pretty stupid argument.

They have square watermelons too. Just because something exists in a different shape doesn't mean that they're all equal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't say any of that. I just said that your claim that square watches existing in a minority somehow means people are wrong to associate round with a watch is ridiculous.

Of course circles are more inherently watch like. The watch faces on square watches are still circles, the watch mechanism is circular, and most watches you're ever going to see are circles.

But I don't think 'square' is why those smartwatches are unappealing to people. They're not even actually squares. If you were to plop an LCD into a casing looking like either of the 2 you linked it would probably be a lot more appealing. All the 'square' watches out now are big rectangles in chunky plastic casing and band. That Sony one is especially bad. There are toy smartwatches that look exactly like that but with brighter, kiddy colors.

Now personally, I think a smartwatch actually needs a decently sized bezel not to look off. But that one's just my personal preference. I think the LG watch looks better than the Moto 360*.

*: In promotional images anyway. The backlight messes with the illusion in actual usage pictures.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can a phone actually connect to 2 Android Wear devices?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no on-board GPS round one yet, nevermind the other things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My ideal Android Wear watch:
Is a watch.
Has Android Wear.
Wristband ideally.
Uses a battery. No hand cranks for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Pebble is about 50% overpriced even at $150 or whatever it costs. There's some room there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also a watch? Who cares about a watch, buy a TV you nerd.