Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm getting back in the box - are there any must-have (or maybe just really really good) plugins for mixdown in the last 5-7 years?

I'm set on reverbs and delays (really like Valhalla) and I guess am wondering if there's a similar-level offering for like buss compression + channel strip stuff?

When I google this I get reddits saying the stock stuff is all you need and I don't disagree but between Reaper and Logic I feel like ReaComp is "okay" and kinda hate everything else. Or rather really like using it (*loved the new compressor interface in LogicX) and then hate the mix. Same for EQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm getting back in the box - are there any must-have (or maybe just really really good) plugins for mixdown in the last 5-7 years?

I'm set on reverbs and delays (really like Valhalla) and I guess am wondering if there's a similar-level offering for like buss compression + channel strip stuff?

When I google this I get reddits saying the stock stuff is all you need and I don't disagree but between Reaper and Logic I feel like ReaComp is "okay" and kinda hate everything else. Or rather really like using it (*loved the new compressor interface in LogicX) and then hate the mix. Same for EQ.

soothe2 is pretty goated

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/adptr_sculpt.html my fav bus compressor right now. adds a ridiculous amount of latency but that shouldn't matter at mixdown stage. also the rare compressor where using presets makes sense because there's a little measurement tool built-in that sets optimal input gain. DO NOT get it at full price, however, they're running deep sales on it every so often.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've not been disappointed with anything I've got off Plugin Alliance (they've got a Freeby pack too with some useful things) but I absolutely agree wait for the frequent sales, whatever it is you are looking at will almost certainly be under £30 at some point. None of those ampsims, for example, are £149 worth of good but are astounding for £30. I've got a a few amps, channel strips and a bunch of other bits n bobs that I picked up cheap off there, I probably use the amps and channels most and maybe Shadow Hills on the master.
Not to be all Reddity but I am finding myself using stock effects in my DAW more and more, but that's because Cubase has really upped it's game recently with dragging old stuff into the modern age and adding in new things. I guess as with any VST purchase it comes down to "do I have something that does this to the standard I want and in a usable fashion".

Please note this is pre-NI acquisition figures so stuff like Kontakt or the higher end Izotope things may not be included!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

Dan Worrall does good comparisons. You want Fabfilter. Tokyo Dawn Records has good stuff. Toneboosters is also good and very affordable.

For reverb Valhalla is glued to my template. I really like that NI Raum is airy and light, and Soundtoys Superplate is fine too, though Soundtoys is more for flavor than utility.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I’ll second the Shadow Hills compressor, and I have the Black Box Analog Design HG-2 in my master fx to give things a little oomph and saturation. Almost everything else I use are stock FX or Reason REs that you can’t really get outside of that ecosystem.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fabfilter stuff is indeed excellent.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Dan Worrall does good comparisons. You want Fabfilter. Tokyo Dawn Records has good stuff. Toneboosters is also good and very affordable.

For reverb Valhalla is glued to my template. I really like that NI Raum is airy and light, and Soundtoys Superplate is fine too, though Soundtoys is more for flavor than utility.

I missed raum when they were giving it away for free, thought I ended up making the best of it by picking it up for like $15 until I opened guitar rig one day (that I got in a bundle when I bought massive) and went "wait, this had raum the whole time?"

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I missed raum when they were giving it away for free, thought I ended up making the best of it by picking it up for like $15 until I opened guitar rig one day (that I got in a bundle when I bought massive) and went "wait, this had raum the whole time?"

NI is so puzzlingly bad at this sometimes. It’s the same with their Reaktor stuff, hamstrung by the fact that you have an awful patch browser instead of something unified.

If they were clever they’d take a page out of the book of Kilohearts and would have effects available as snap-ins and standalone versions, native or Reaktor-built shouldn’t matter. The discoverability of it is awful from time to time.

Plus, Kilohearts’ way of doing this can unify all effects so that you don’t have a slightly different reverb in one synth or Kontakt. I really do believe that they’e painted themselves in a corner in that sense in terms of developpment. Still no scalable interfaces.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 23, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Two Notes just gave me a free copy of their new Genome thingy, apparently because WoS is old and unwanted now. Works for me, since I still keep my many cabs, and it's not like my Torpedo Live stops working somehow.

Interestingly it seems like it can load Neural files and amps? So I guess I can try the new fangled digital stuff that isn't just resorting to using Amplitube because I'm away from my amp. I'm keen to see what it's like and will probably post here about what I think.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Neural Amp Modeler is awesome, it's really cool that can load them. I use ToneX, which is IKMM's product but similar in concept, related - and have made captures of a lot of my gear now. It's crazy good. With a well done capture of my gear, I can get them to A/B identically, to the point that I have to double and triple check my meters.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I ended up making models of my Blackstar Series One and honestly it's so close the differences don't matter. Given that every time I play guitar I end up using an amp model anyway I've decided to move on the Blackstar, because also I'm never gonna need a 50W head without a cab for playing live, and I don't do any music in any sort of professional capacity these days, so a digital model is good enough.

I don't think it feels as good as a real amp, as nebulous and undefinable as that could ever mean. It's always fun to plug in to an amp and cab, but I live in an apartment and live a quiet and much more relaxing life so I have no need for that any more.

I do feel sad that when I had a large collection of fun and weird amps this modelling tech wasn't around, at least not at a level where an end-user could extremely simply make models. I would've loved to have made accurate models of the 80s tube Peavey Triumph I had, and my modded Jet City, or the Vox AC100. Realistically it would've just been for me, and that's alright.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Seconding Tokyo Dawn Records, their stuff is awesome and they offer a bunch of really cool free VSTs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Atomic Amps made Tonocracy, their modeling and capturing software, free. It came out several months ago for $300 ($150 on sale). So that's kinda neat. It does proprietary, walled-garden captures in its own cloud-based format (but you can very easily publish them to the cloud, or privately share them with other users via a link), but it can also load and use NAM captures, so the world's your oyster really - there's so much quality stuff out there for it, and a guy who has been involved in the beta testing has a relative shitload of great gear captures over on TheGearPage. Here's his thread, and it has tremendously useful information about the software and tips for new users as well. Highly advise reading it.

The capture process is the best I've used so far in terms of interface, with extremely good calibration that allows for very consistent capture quality and signal level, something I struggle with in ToneX - quality is great, signal level varies a lot, I haven't been using my multimeter to calibrate it but I'm about to be doing that after how much better Tonocracy has shown me well-calibrated capturing can be from a user experience standpoint. I'm gonna be frank that the quality of the effects overall and even the included "Schemaccurate" amp models (... Tonocracy? Schemaccurate? good god man) are not as good all around as top competitors, but they all work and some of them do sound nice. User interface might could use a bit more time in the oven in some aspects but I don't find it hard to use. I want to reiterate, the capture process here is THE BEST I've used so far and that includes ToneX and NAM. It's just so easy. You don't even have to have a nice GPU, as it captures locally but then uploads and processes on a GPU-based cloud server, takes about as much time as my 3080 takes to cook a ToneX max quality capture. But you can queue them (it does so by default, it's seamless and easy), which I hope comes to ToneX soon - batch processing would really help the workflow there. Here, making a bunch of captures in a row is so quick and straightforward, I got done capturing my Keeley Muse Driver in a fraction of the time it took me to do my last ToneX capture of a pedal across a range of settings.

Definitely grab this, IMO, try it out, anyone can make great quality captures with the minimum requirement of just an audio interface that has 2 inputs and one extra output apart from monitor outputs. Guitar -> Input 1, capture Send out of Output 3 (assuming 1 and 2 are monitoring), capture Return into Input 2. For calibration, a multimeter is very helpful, though you can calibrate instrument level and return level without one. But with one you can calibrate the Send precisely and having all three of those makes the model quality extremely consistent, model level extremely consistent, it's awesome. Oh, and, SOME HOW, this is the capture software that finally adds an input and output gain trim to the capture when A/Bing and trimming the gain. Man, that's nice. ToneX does not let me level match the capture and the real hardware on the A/B screen prior to approval - it has an input gain trim, but no output trim, and as a result you have to raise the return input level to try to match (because the profile is always louder especially if there's clipping).

I so sincerely hope IK Multimedia copies these usability features, because it's just opened my eyes tremendously. In the meantime I'm just gonna manually calibrate the dry send signal level and match the amp or pedal that it is capturing to the exact same signal level, because that seems to be a key factor. Read the mV and get 'em the same, would it be easier to have a software button do this for me, absolutely, and I'll welcome it if it comes.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 16, 2024

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6mkL6x1DE

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I've been saying for awhile that 2024 is the year of jungle and that seals it

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat I never knew I needed this but now I do.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
behringer managed to gently caress up a free VST rollout :laugh:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2024/04/09/behringer-vintage-vst/

quote:

Behringer launched Vintage, a free analog modeling synth, and the German company’s first synth plugin. However, there’s a twist – the plugin isn’t available for download right now.

The Mac and Windows release is a Prophet-inspired synth that Behringer states they modelled on the analogue circuitry of iconic vintage synths.

However there’s been a bit of a hiccup with the release, and the product page and download link for the plugin went dead shortly after going live

:laugh:

This was announced like 4/4 so it was too late to be a 4/1 gag, and here we are on 4/12 with no updates from Uli's Private Jet.

rio posted:

drat I never knew I needed this but now I do.

I'm weird enough that this just cements my desire for a working amiga :shrug:

edit: wow there's a single "untested" A400 on ebay, for $1800. Yea, no. VST it is.

edit the second: wow recapped A1200s go for $2500 I should get into recapping

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 12, 2024

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i wanna get the amigo plug-in and it's cheap enough that i probably will but there's still a part of me that feels like i don't really know what this does that slapping a bitcrusher after slicex does not. a lot of what makes the music made on amigas sound like it does comes more from the tracker workflow and memory restrictions rather than the converters. either way it looks cool and i've heard some great music made with it and it's really affordable so whatever

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's weird to me to see people talking about the sound quality of the emulation. It's attractive to me as a workflow thing, where if you have samples of the type you'd use in a tracker lying around, ie single note with or w/o loop or drum loops, this is a low friction way to use them.

There's a free Ami Sampler vst that's missing a bunch of things that Amigo has, but allows you to layer or split multiple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
I know it's not VST related, per se, but maybe you guys can help me.

I'm looking to automate my guitar player's effects for our live shows but I'm a little lost on how to do this, exactly.

I believe I have all the necessary equipment. I have Behringer V amp 2, a usb2midi and Reaper. I'm just confused about how to go about selecting the specified patch on the v amp with midi. Here is the manual https://www.manua.ls/behringer/v-amp-2/manual and under "midi implementation" there seems to be no patch selection, but it says in the manual that you can do this with a midi foot pedal, so I'm assuming I should be able to do this with Reaper?

I already use midi with Reaper to control our dmx lights, so I know how to use reaper to transmit midi, but I feel that's a bit simpler as I just have Reaper output to a virtual midi cable which is picked up by QLC+ and then send through a usb2dmx cable to my lights.

I'm just lost with how to do this with this pedal and I've never used a midi foot controller before either. Any help would be appreciated!