Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Anybody know anything about viddancer.vst? Offhand it looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Soundtoys has released their first new thing in forever, it's a grownup version of Little Plate and it sounds fantastic. Upgrade is pretty cheap if you already own a lot (or in my case all) of their products.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/superplate/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trig Discipline posted:

Soundtoys has released their first new thing in forever, it's a grownup version of Little Plate and it sounds fantastic. Upgrade is pretty cheap if you already own a lot (or in my case all) of their products.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/superplate/
They sent me an email about an upgrade offer to upgrade to Soundtoys 5.4 for $29. Apparently I'm on 5.2 right now. What would I get by upgrading to 5.4 besides SuperPlate? I don't really need another reverb plugin in my life. Valhalla Shimmer is still my go-to.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

I don't really need another reverb plugin in my life.
said the same words idly browsing the page for the Strymon BigSky native port today :shepface:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ruffian Price posted:

said the same words idly browsing the page for the Strymon BigSky native port today :shepface:
Hahaha, I got Eventide's Blackhole on sale a while back and that should cover all my non-Valhalla Shimmer reverb needs but I never use it! I tried it out when I first got it and it was cool, but I still just use Shimmer for everything. It's my brand :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

They sent me an email about an upgrade offer to upgrade to Soundtoys 5.4 for $29. Apparently I'm on 5.2 right now. What would I get by upgrading to 5.4 besides SuperPlate? I don't really need another reverb plugin in my life. Valhalla Shimmer is still my go-to.

It's basically just SuperPlate, yeah.

Shimmer is your go-to reverb? I use it a lot, but not as just a pure reverb. It's such a distinctive and diffuse sound that I can't imagine it working for everything. I suppose it depends on what sort of music you're making though.

My go-to reverbs are Valhalla Vintage Verb and Pure Plate. I just got UAD Hitsville Chambers though and it sounds amazing, so I may have a new favorite room reverb.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trig Discipline posted:

It's basically just SuperPlate, yeah.

Shimmer is your go-to reverb? I use it a lot, but not as just a pure reverb. It's such a distinctive and diffuse sound that I can't imagine it working for everything. I suppose it depends on what sort of music you're making though.

My go-to reverbs are Valhalla Vintage Verb and Pure Plate. I just got UAD Hitsville Chambers though and it sounds amazing, so I may have a new favorite room reverb.
Yup :) I make ambient-leaning electronic stuff, so it's fantastic for that. I don't use it on like bass or drums. But for pads and keys and leads and strings? You better believe it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh that makes sense! I mostly use it for ambient stuff as well, but I do a lot of other things that it doesn't work for.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eventide SP2016 for some reason I really love.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I'm just getting into digital music production (using virtual instruments), and it's super fun so far. However, I'm a little lost on figuring out everything, and this seemed like a good thread to ask.

So far, all of my VSTi needs have been met with Spitfire Audio's BBC Orchestra or LABS. This is great, because both are free, and I am just dabbling in this hobby and don't wanna spend a bunch of money yet. However, I am trying to write a piece with with human percussion, i.e. claps, stomps, etc, and LABS does not have clap / stomp VST as far as I can tell. I found both "Snaps Claps Slaps Stomps and Shouts" from RedRoom Audio and Claps-Stomps-Snaps from Loops de la Creme, which both seem cool, but they both require a full version of Kontakt, which is expensive.

Is there a way to play these files without Kontakt? Alternatively, how do people go about finding VSTs that aren't tied to Kontakt?

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
I remember seeing this not too long ago, but I can't vouch for its quality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AudioProductionDeals/comments/136g2cc/robotic_bean_hand_clap_studio_claps_and_snaps/

that subreddit is pretty active for deals and that's where I discover a lot of stuff. If I see there's a bunch of discussion about something in particular, I'll go check it out on Youtube or see if there's a demo.

Hope this helps!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I think NI's Summer of Sound is still in effect for the next three days, which means you can crossgrade from any Kontakt Player library, including freebies (that NI takes a fee for, but companies treat it as advertising) like ProjectSAM's Symphobia selections or Heavyocity's Foundation packs, into full Kontakt for half price. Getting the full thing is recommended one way or another as it's gonna make a whole wealth of free poo poo usable for you.

Outside of that, OT's SINEfactory Gearbox has a solid selection of body percussion recorded in more detail than their LA Sessions :negative:

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Well they finally got me and I upgraded to the NI Komplete 14 Collector’s Edition today. So many plugins and instruments. Definitely going to need to invest in a large external SSD for the install and move my VSTs there.

What DAWs are you all using these days?

I have Studio One Pro 5, Reaper and FL studio Pro. I think I also have a version of Bitwig and the starter version of Ableton but never messed around with them.

Looking for something with good workflow that I can learn and easily integrates with NI suite.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Richlove posted:

What DAWs are you all using these days?

Stick to one and learn it. I can think of very few situations where you'd need more than one DAW outside of niche pro audio situations. All of them have their pros and cons, each individual, and it'll come down to a decision based on your research based on your workflow and needs.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The best DAW is the one you know how to use

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I've been using Ableton for years but I've started to think of it more as an amazing instrument and have pivoted to Logic for finishing tracks. The above advice is the way, really it's what works for you and what you'll learn inside and out.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I totally agree that the best DAW is the one you use. Personally I've been Bitwigging since version 1 and I don't know that I'll ever switch at this point. I have Logic as well and it's probably been five years since I even opened it. In 30 years of making music on computers Bitwig is the first DAW I've used that I will actually just regularly sit down and play with like a toy, and that has resulted in me expanding my sonic palette and coming up with things that I never would have made in a traditional DAW.

Richlove posted:

Well they finally got me and I upgraded to the NI Komplete 14 Collector’s Edition today. So many plugins and instruments. Definitely going to need to invest in a large external SSD for the install and move my VSTs there.

If you haven't started messing with it yet, dig into Playbox. It is so goddamn fun, just the perfect happy accident machine.

I think I made this the first day I got Playbox and I still really like it: https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/what-have-you-done (playbox comes in at around 0:45)

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 2, 2023

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Scatterfold posted:

Stick to one and learn it. I can think of very few situations where you'd need more than one DAW outside of niche pro audio situations. All of them have their pros and cons, each individual, and it'll come down to a decision based on your research based on your workflow and needs.

Solid advice for sure. Just hard getting started. I am most confortable recording live audio with Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition but want to play more with the Nextar Impact LX49+ I acquired.

I will definitely check out playbox as I liked the song you linked. I can see myself hitting the random preset and just rolling with it!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Playbox still makes me fuckin cry

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

Is there a way to play these files without Kontakt? Alternatively, how do people go about finding VSTs that aren't tied to Kontakt?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Kontakt’s main thing is that it organizes samples and their behavior.

If you press a middle C key, Kontakt catches that note and knows that it should play back piano_c4.wav or something. This is really convenient when dealing with chromatic sounds, because you can just throw a lot of these in a folder with sensible names and then map them, and the samples plus that mapping are a Kontakt preset. A library is a set of presets. Sometimes, the differences can be really superficial - as in two or more presets use the same samples, except one preset has EQ and reverb and the other has not.

Kontakt now has monolithic libraries. It used to be so that if you got the library, you’d get a folder chock full of .wav files and a little mapping file telling Kontakt that middle C maps to that .wav file. However, a monolith is a single, secured file where you can’t touch all of those individual files anymore.

This is good for manufacturers because there was a case where someone ripped a bunch of those files and stuck them in a Reason instrument and then tried to sell that. That worked for a few days or so, then the dude got caught. Libraries cost a lot to develop and used to be really easy to copy.

Anyway, if the manufacturer does not offer a monolith, then you could theoretically get all those samples out and program them yourself in DecentSampler or so - dragging each sample to the correct location. Takes effort, but if your hourly rate is worth it, it’s cheaper.

You also see Kontakt Player options from time to time, but manufacturers will need to pay NI for that, so some aren’t offering that option because the library is too niche.

Basically, instruments without Kontakt are just zip files with .wavs in there, or they will be explicitly compatible with other samplers like EXS24 or Ableton Sampler or whatever. Some manufacturers like Spitfire just develop their own Kontakt clone, but since Kontakt is kind of an industry standard, this only is a good idea if you have experienced developers working for you anyway. This is not necessarily cost effective for engineers who just have cool instruments and nice microphones but don’t know Java from Javascript.

For pianos, you also have Pianoteq, which is physical modeling. You trade space (yay, no 30 GB disk space consumed)for speed (because the sound is rendered in realtime on your CPU the fans may start up).

For orchestral instruments, there is SWAM. If you just need drums, Superior Drummer, or if you want to get weird, XLN XO or Algonaut Atlas. It’s mostly real acoustic instruments that can be mimicked well by samples, and thus make a good fit for Kontakt.

Also, if you want Kontakt plus one other big expensive NI plugin, Komplete is a better deal because then you get all the extra libraries.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have a particular video they like that explains NI's Playbox? I just upgraded from Komplete 13 to 14, and so I'm playing around with this and having trouble wrapping my head around it.

I know it just has the 8 notes you play and you're getting chords, and it's not like I'm going to use it for leads (I don't think), but I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm supposed to do with it, or how to get into it I guess.

Any particularly good videos on this one?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Laserjet 4P posted:

For pianos, you also have Pianoteq, which is physical modeling. You trade space (yay, no 30 GB disk space consumed)for speed (because the sound is rendered in realtime on your CPU the fans may start up).

Side note but Pianoteq is surprisingly easy on the CPU. It will run well on a Raspberry Pi 4 and there are folks using one as a dedicated Pianoteq box.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Richlove posted:

Solid advice for sure. Just hard getting started. I am most confortable recording live audio with Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition but want to play more with the Nextar Impact LX49+ I acquired.

I will definitely check out playbox as I liked the song you linked. I can see myself hitting the random preset and just rolling with it!

If you are accustomed to Cool Edit and Audition, REAPER shouldn't be hard to work with.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
No idea how long this has been going on but ohmforce has released all their legacy plugins (ohmicide predatohm ohmboyz etc) for free on their website

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Alright, maybe someone can ELI5 what I need to do here.

I have a modular rack and some desktop synths and mostly I use a combination of modular gear/sequencers and Korg Gadget on iPad2 (via Tapai midi controller -> Mutant Brain) to control everything.

My final output chain is a Zed 10 FX -> Tascam 4x4HR -> PC running Studio One 6. I mostly have only used this for recording and some very light post processing, and once in a while messing with VSTs.

My Desire: use the Reason 12 Rack plugin's sequencers to send note data over MIDI to control modular drums.

What works now: I have the Mutant Brain set up with MIDI channel 10 as 4 drum gates, corresponding to inputs from C4, D4, E4, F4. The PC goes to the Mutant Brain via the Tascam.
* If I make a normal piano roll on that track and send those notes, picking those notes, the triggers fire as I would expect and corresponding Mutant Brain triggers also fire.

What I am being smoothbrained about : W

This is Reason's Beatmap Algorithmic Drummer. If I load Reason Rack into a channel in Studio One, set its midi output to Tascam 4x4, and then pick this controller as the instrument, I see the UI and I can hit play, and see "NOTE" events firing in the VST, but nothing else happens in the DAW, MIDI events are not generated.

I feel like I'm missing a step. Or six.

edit: yes I ensured I am setting the same notes / midi CC in Beatmap, as I have set in Mutant Brain, and which are working in Studio One.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
You have to load a specific midi out module

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SR_qQDGHuI

Reason is still pretty skewmorphic so if you don't have anything below your instrument or generator its a sign that a step is missing.

Pretty sure it works the same way for reason rack but.... not sure on that one...

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 17, 2023

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
tjhe midi out seems to load and self patch and I see CC data there and none inside of Studio One.

The good news is this motivated me to SYSEX-flash my mutant brain, and it's more useful now and I understand MIDI better. still no out from unReasoned computer, much sad.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Have you setup an external device for it with appropriate input in Studio One, and enabled input monitor on its track? (Sorry if these are dumb and obvious questions.)

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
I scanned the last year or so of the thread and a few people have been talking about it in various contexts, but drat, Surge XT is so sick. There have been some okay free VSTs in the past, but they usually fell into the realm of "has a few nice presets here and there, but otherwise very mediocre" but Surge is chock full of good stuff. Spent an hour or two yesterday just going through all the presets. I'm just getting back into making music after a few years away so it's lovely to see nice surprises like this

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Surge is amazing and kicks the snot out of several commercial/stock plugins easily. It’s really easy to do basic 2 op FM with, can do chiptune stuff, and the dual layer setup is something you never knew you missed until you do.

The UI is starting to get too big for its britches however, and dumping the filter and amp envelopes so that they are generalized would be a better idea. All LFOs are envelopes and they should just embrace that with loopable MSEGs.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I have a few favorites that are free, like Kinichi Watabe's CRA-6. Apparently not that easy to get, if you want a copy of the old zip file let me know. Another fav is Arguru's Stardust. Arguru was a real hero of free software, he was the guy that made Psycle. He died in a car crash like 10 years ago.

But that's now why I'm posting. I wanted to ask a q about video software, something I don't know much about at all. Supposing I wanted to make a video of slices of other videos, I have them all on my hard drive. You know, like taking words from different videos and redoing them as a different sentence. That's easy with just audio but I haven't yet found a fast and easy way of doing that with video. Are there any programs that make this easy and fast that anybody knows offhand? I have Vegas, it does it but it's a chore. I'm doing a song and RN I'm thinking I'll have to do each verse as a separate project and then paste them together. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

petit choux posted:

Supposing I wanted to make a video of slices of other videos, I have them all on my hard drive. You know, like taking words from different videos and redoing them as a different sentence. That's easy with just audio but I haven't yet found a fast and easy way of doing that with video. Are there any programs that make this easy and fast that anybody knows offhand?

Reaper may be worth a try - the video editing is rudimentary, but it's quick to set up, should support most codecs through FFMPEG, and will let you mash together clips quickly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://github.com/antiboredom/videogrep

Premiere and Descript also let you cut via text selection in a visual editor.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well thanks, both of you. Well I never considered trying REAPER. I use it regularly, I will have to try it for that. Thanks much. Of course I wanted to have music as well, if I can actually do my slicing there it would be wonderful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i decided to finally give surge xt a try and it's extremely powerful for sure. however the first thing i tried making with it was, like usual, a reese bass and i noticed that on low notes whenever the detuned waves cancel each other out there's a noticeable click. it's not cpu underruns to be clear, i have several other instances that play fine. anyone else have any issues with this?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Share your patch. Or did you just pick saw classic and crank unison all the way up?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Laserjet 4P posted:

Share your patch. Or did you just pick saw classic and crank unison all the way up?

literally just saw classic with two voices of unison

watho
Aug 2, 2013

okay going back i can't seem to recreate it and loading the project the clicking has disappeared. problem solved i guess :shrug:

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
FYI: Generate by Newfangled Audio is on sale for $49, down from $150, and potentially more if you own other products by them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AudioProductionDeals/comments/16hvbmg/newfangled_audio_generate_marquee_polysynth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

has there been a faster rise and fall as with minimal audio? just completely speedrunning the cool products to awful business model pipeline that usually takes about a decade