Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I signed up for minimal's synth as a service 😔 their effects are fantastic, a serum clone that lets you chain them sounded right up my alley
too bad the presets are all dazzling sequences and nothing actually useful. but making the patches you need on the spot is fast as expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the synth definitely looks very cool and having rift built in is a big sell considering i put rift on the vast majority of my synths anyway. it's just 50% more expensive per month than the kilohearts subscription which includes everything they release and also gives you 100€ towards buying all their stuff outright every year you stay subscribed

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Is Plugin Alliance still doing their occasional big dynamic discount sales, or is that over now that NI owns them? I haven't really been paying attention and I'm not sure if I even should be.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

Is Plugin Alliance still doing their occasional big dynamic discount sales, or is that over now that NI owns them? I haven't really been paying attention and I'm not sure if I even should be.

Yeah they do - think the last one was June or July. The recent, big stuff doesn’t get the big discounts (think Kirchhoff EQ). I’m hanging on though, maybe in 2 years I’ll be able to pick it up for $30 :rms:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dug out my crappy 61 key casio and am looking to upgrade to a decent midi keyboard. as such i am looking forward to the inevitable v-collection sale, cause i want cheap 80s synths dangit!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
AIR Music's Bassline is free for a bit. It's basic, but solid, and they fixed the authorization issues that plagued it when it first came out.

https://www.airmusictech.com/black-friday.html

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Splice released a pretty nice preset pack for serum this week

quote:

Splice Originals proudly presents “Serum Classic Keys” - a rare collection of multi-genre presets that push the boundaries of Serum's capabilities to accurately recreate the sounds of some of the most sought-after keyboards such as the Mellotron, Fairlight CMI, Wurlitzer, and many other famous organs, electric pianos, bells, mallets, and keyboards. Carefully crafted and produced over the last year and heavily influenced by the likes of Bob James, Idris Muhamad, Ahmad Jamal, and many other keyboard legends, these unique sounds encapsulate the eclectic diversity of these classic keyboards, used in countless hits over the last 50 years, making this pack a must for every producers' sonic arsenal.

https://splice.com/sounds/packs/splice-originals/so_serum_classic_keys/presets

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Looking for an SH-101 clone VST. Any reason I shouldn’t get TAL Bassline 101?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pollyanna posted:

Looking for an SH-101 clone VST. Any reason I shouldn’t get TAL Bassline 101?

I thought that one was free anyway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TAL Bassline is free, TAL Bassline 101 is not. No reason not to try both the free one and the demo of the other.

I haven't quite used either, but TAL's reputation for emulation is excellent and their free software in general is solid.

I suspect though that the question is more if there is some other, definitive 101 plugin that should be looked at and I don't know.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I have both the TAL and the D16 SH101-inspired plugins and they are both sufficiently squelchy to make me very happy (and allow me to put off renovating my increasingly senile MC202).

They're both close enough in sound, features and satisfaction that I choose which one to use either randomly or out of idle curiousity.

e: The D16 one does polyphony/layers but it's totally wasted on me.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 17, 2023

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The TAL, or the TAL 101? Eh, I’ll just try out the freeware and the demo. Thanks!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
This one: https://tal-software.com/products/tal-bassline-101

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

anyone have strong opinions on the arturia fx collection? there's some nice reverbs and such in there, and the juno chorus seems good. i already have the soundtoys stuff so im not sure the arturia stuff is must-have, but also it seems pretty good to me

also, i'm sure everyone knows this, but as a reminder: everybody is doing black friday stuff now. v-collection for like $200, i upgraded my soundtoys to get the new plate for $30, arturia fx collection is $70, etc. if there's anything you're interested in, there's a good chance it's half off.

e: well, everybody except TAL i guess (lol)

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

anyone have strong opinions on the arturia fx collection? there's some nice reverbs and such in there, and the juno chorus seems good. i already have the soundtoys stuff so im not sure the arturia stuff is must-have, but also it seems pretty good to me

its pretty good and worth the sale price; highlights for me are:

Tube-Culture (used very sparingly on the master bus)
Fragments (big fan of granular-y things with pitch shifting; has a MI Beads but in-the-box vibe)
Sitral-295 EQ (lovely for mid-side EQing)
Plate-140 (perfect for when you want a subtle reverb)

however the pre-amp emulations stink imho as they have no oversampling and therefore introduce nyquist-y artefacts of higher frequencies when you're working at 44 or 48k

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got the full collection because it was the same price for me as if I just got Coldfire, which is incredible.
I use the Thermionic sometimes, the Lexicon reverb a fair bit and Fragments is cool for messing about with too, a neat playground.

Tbh it's pretty much the same deal as NI Komplete: if you reckon you will use more than two of the things then it's probably cheaper to just get the lot than cherry pick.
I don't regret getting the bundle even though I barely use the preamps unless utterly abusing them, the delays and reverbs are perfectly usable and the modulation effects do what they say they do.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm considering picking up a pitch correction plugin for vocals. Once upon a time I had a :filez: version of Auto-Tune (probably version 4 or 5) that I'd throw on my vocal takes with mild settings to keep my long held notes from falling out of tune (rather transparently). The only action required on my part was choosing the key and a tad bit of dialing in the intensity of the correction for a given take. I'm looking for something that can give me a similar workflow. The option to crank the correction to 11 to make the classic auto-tune effect would be nice to have too, but not essential.

The obvious answer is to get Auto-Tune, which maybe I will, but it's not cheap so I may want to explore other options. From what I can tell, Auto-Tune Artist would be the one to get, which is currently $175.

Waves Tune Real-Time seems like a decent alternative @ $30 (and 3 plugins for $50 if there's anything else worthwhile). From the looks of it, it seems like basically a copy of older Auto-Tune versions, which should get the job done.

There's also of course Melodyne (Essential for $50), and while powerful, from what I can tell the workflow for doing small corrections like this is a bit slower/clunkier compared to the the auto-tune-esq software.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Melodyne absolutely allows you to pick a scale, select your whole performance and use one slider to move it a bit closer to where you want without fussing with individual notes. Problem is, afterwards you will definitely want to reduce the pitch drift a bit and that option is only in Assistant and up.
IMO the first thing you should do is check if your DAW has something like this already built in :v: (I think the faux-Melodyne functionality in Logic, Studio One, Samplitude and FL Studio is solid, though the latter two can sound synthy as you move further from original notes) barring that maybe check the trials for everything and see what you prefer? Outside of what you've mentioned Slate Digital also has MetaTune in their sub, another real-time one

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

If you're not looking for a perfectly transparent sound, most vocal processing plug-in suites also seem to have pitch direction these days. My favorite voice design plug-in lately has been vocalsynth, which has decent pitch correction, but is mostly for wild vocoded harmonies. Nectar also has pitch correction, and I've got half a dozen max for live plug-ins that also do the thing.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ruffian Price posted:

Melodyne absolutely allows you to pick a scale, select your whole performance and use one slider to move it a bit closer to where you want without fussing with individual notes. Problem is, afterwards you will definitely want to reduce the pitch drift a bit and that option is only in Assistant and up.
IMO the first thing you should do is check if your DAW has something like this already built in :v: (I think the faux-Melodyne functionality in Logic, Studio One, Samplitude and FL Studio is solid, though the latter two can sound synthy as you move further from original notes) barring that maybe check the trials for everything and see what you prefer? Outside of what you've mentioned Slate Digital also has MetaTune in their sub, another real-time one

I use Live, which doesn't have built in pitch correction, or at least I thought, but according to Octatonic there are M4L patches that can do it, so maybe I'm all set.

Downloading all the trials/demos would be the sensible thing to do...

Octatonic posted:

If you're not looking for a perfectly transparent sound, most vocal processing plug-in suites also seem to have pitch direction these days. My favorite voice design plug-in lately has been vocalsynth, which has decent pitch correction, but is mostly for wild vocoded harmonies. Nectar also has pitch correction, and I've got half a dozen max for live plug-ins that also do the thing.

The option to make it transparent rather than sounding effect-ish is something I'm looking for, as sometimes I'm using it in situations where I don't want it to be noticeable.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 22, 2023

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
wondering if it's time I purchase the FabFilter Pro-Q 3 which is on sale at $127, if only to see what all the fuss is about

I've been getting by on the Ableton stock EQs. Please post good reasons for me to make the jump (aside from the fact I paid off my entire credit card yesterday woooo)

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Workflow mainly. It removes a lot of the hassle of automating eq for sidechain and stuff, and is really good at killing specific frequencies. There's a 30 day trial.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ProperCauldron posted:

wondering if it's time I purchase the FabFilter Pro-Q 3 which is on sale at $127, if only to see what all the fuss is about

I've been getting by on the Ableton stock EQs. Please post good reasons for me to make the jump (aside from the fact I paid off my entire credit card yesterday woooo)

dynamic bands are a must have feature imo

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
TDR Nova has dynamic bands, sidechain compression, and a free version. Is there something that makes Fab Filter $100 better?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4656

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

OutOfPrint posted:

TDR Nova has dynamic bands, sidechain compression, and a free version. Is there something that makes Fab Filter $100 better?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4656

Nova has 4 bands, pro-q3 has infinite. Free version of nova can't sidechain or EQ match. The dynamic bands on pro-q3 also have a smart algorithm that are aware of the type of audio you're using them on and adjust their attack and release accordingly. Setting up and using the dynamic bands is also a lot quicker and more intuitive in pro-q3. Nova also does not have notch, tilt shelf, and flat tilt bands (the latter of which is great for quick brightness/darkness adjustments on a channel). Unless I'm mistaken, nova also does not have mid/side or left/right modes. Pro-Q 3 has a gain scale slider which lets you adjust the severity of the adjustments made by every band at the same time, so you can dial back your EQ moves or exaggerate them as needed. Nova doesn't have a linear phase mode. Pro-Q lets you solo the effect of a single band so you can hear only the frequencies that it is affecting. I mean the list goes on.

EDIT: If you don't want to spend any money, nova is a great option. But there's a reason Pro-Q3 is as popular as it is.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
iZotope Creative Mix Bundle 4 (VocalSynth, Stutter Edit 2, Neon Verb, Neutron Elements) is on sale for $49 (usualy $650 to buy all these). I had dicking with ah, ahem, trial of VocalSynth and knew I wanted it so I had my eyes out and frankly I think $50 is a good deal just for that, it's whacky and powerful.

https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/creative-mix-bundle/

It's tempting to pick up Ozone as well, but I am nowhere close to maxing out my understanding of ableton's built in mixing and mastering.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 26, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Plogue's SID chip emulator is finally here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XxqbbT5qA

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im definitely gonna buy that next black friday

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL9VRsUAH0w

V Collection X is out now. $599 MSRP but it's $149 for registered users on Arturia's site until 1/7.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's showing as $199 to upgrade from v-collection 9

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Achmed Jones posted:

it's showing as $199 to upgrade from v-collection 9
Huh, it's showing as $149 for me for some reason

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
drat they want $299 from me to upgrade from 7 which is basically the typical cost for the full version of V Collection when they do sales. When I got 7 it was even only $199 just because I had some freebie already tied to my account. I guess means I'm hosed that I didn't take the offer to upgrade to 9 for $99 or whatever it was. Maybe next summer or black friday they'll offer true upgrade pricing but I'm not holding my breath. Not sure I'll continue with V Collection as honestly after having it a while I think it's overrated. Not that it's bad, more that lots of people recommend it as one of the must-have plugin bundles (e.g. on the same level as Komplete in terms of overall usefulness), when in reality I think it's more of a niche product.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm really liking the synths in it, it's just that the fact it's great to have _a_ v-collection doesn't imply that you need the _latest_ v-collection. same goes for all the packages (and daws), really. i can't even imagine paying half that, unless i'm really misunderstanding the difference between 9 and 10.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Splinter posted:

drat they want $299 from me to upgrade from 7 which is basically the typical cost for the full version of V Collection when they do sales. When I got 7 it was even only $199 just because I had some freebie already tied to my account.

Same, except I have V collection 8. WTF Arturia, I thought you were cool! I have a keystep, a keylab 61 mkII, and a minifreak plus Pigments. You'd think I'd get a loyalty discount at least. For 300 united states dollars I'd rather get Komplete 14 Standard (which is still on sale somehow?)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you have the full version of Analog Lab, you can still buy preset packs for the new synths, it just won't let you edit the patches.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
In my experience it's difficult to get a dry signal from analoglab, all the presets have fx baked in

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

boy it sure would have been stupid to buy V-collection 9 just a couple weeks ago, huh.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Same, except I have V collection 8. WTF Arturia, I thought you were cool! I have a keystep, a keylab 61 mkII, and a minifreak plus Pigments. You'd think I'd get a loyalty discount at least. For 300 united states dollars I'd rather get Komplete 14 Standard (which is still on sale somehow?)

Yeah I also have Pigments too which doesn't seem to affect my price. And yeah, Komplete is much more versatile and generally useful for most genres. V Collection is still great and fun, I just don't see it as a must have bundle for new producers in most genres as I sometimes see it recommended as it covers much less ground in terms of production tools.

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm really liking the synths in it, it's just that the fact it's great to have _a_ v-collection doesn't imply that you need the _latest_ v-collection. same goes for all the packages (and daws), really. i can't even imagine paying half that, unless i'm really misunderstanding the difference between 9 and 10.

This is where I was at with upgrading from 7 to 8 or 9, but with 10 I felt like they finally added enough to justify the upgrade (at reasonable upgrade pricing). That's how I've operated with Komplete, going from 8 all the way to 12 and then to 13 (but skipping 14 and likely 15) with the price for each jump only $100 regardless of how many versions I skipped. Maybe Arturia is just doing this because 10 was just released, and they'll go back to reasonable upgrade pricing even coming from 7 for black friday.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

boy it sure would have been stupid to buy V-collection 9 just a couple weeks ago, huh.

not really, i got v-collection 9 for $200. i only am being offered 10 for $200 because i have 9 (and some stuff i bought at the same time). if i hadn't bought 9, i also wouldn't have bought that other stuff. according to some forum post i found:

quote:

Arturia V Collection X is available now for 599€. Existing Arturia customers get a 100€ discount and can purchase it for 499€. There are also various upgrades/crossgrades available for existing customers:

V Collection 9 or Sound Explorer Collection 2 + 3 or 4 products of VCX = 99€
VC 9 (or SEC 2) + 1 or 2 products of VCX = 149€
Upgrade from VC 9 or SEC2 = 199€
Upgrade from VC 6, 7, 8 or SEC1 = 299€
Crossgrade from Pigments, or FX Collection, or 3+ software = 399€

so i'm still pretty pleased with my purchase of 9. i'll probably not be upgrading for a few versions, like splinter said, though. and either way i'll almost certainly wait until a big black friday or summer sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There isn't enough new stuff in 10 (I have 9) for me to want to bite with the upgrade this time round.
All the factory patches from say the 303 have been put in Analog Lab anyway.
I like the new browser system though it definitely feels like trying to be "more Native Instruments" and reminds me of the recent Kontakt overhaul.

It's a bit cheeky when they recode old stuff like the Jupiter or whatever that that's not included unless you upgrade but I guess I understand from a "we basically made a new synth by redoing an old one from near scratch" perspective.