Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Totally echoes my experience with the Polysix. It sounds like the hardware and the controls operate in much the same way.

The MS-20 not as much imo. The hardware sounds more rubbery and alive. You touch a knob and it's immediately satisfying. It could just be that the originals are less well behaved and the filters are generally gnarlier. This is based on my memory of the plugin, but I do play with an original with relative frequency. Still a good plug though.

All the Waldorf plugins sound amazing, including the PPG Wave. Might want to check that out if you're interested in wavetable synthesis. Aren't original wavestations pretty cheap these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Have you guys tried out Diversion?

http://dmitrysches.com/

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/computers-software/virtual-instruments/diversion-522031/review

Playing with the demo now and absolutely loving it.

edit:

Saurus from tone2 is now available as well:

http://tone2.com/html/saurus_synthesizer__vst_au.html

keyframe fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 6, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
So I've been using Diva for about a month now, and it has infiltrated all my current projects - some with as many as 8 instances; running fine and dandy on my aging E8500 in cubase. I dont use the divine setting, but that gets done in offline rendering anyway automatically (if you specify)

Very glad I picked this up, and it is quickly becoming my #1 workhorse. This combined with my nebula addiction; I have all the emulated analog mojo I need!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
How is Diva on the CPU?

I picked up Razor and loving it but it is absolutely retarded how much CPU it uses. Some patches use like %60-70 on one instance of razor.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Variable. If you read my post, theres that end - on the other; there are single patches that kill my CPU instantly in divine mode.

I dont really give a gently caress all of my output goes to audiotracks as soon as possible

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

So I've been using Diva for about a month now, and it has infiltrated all my current projects - some with as many as 8 instances; running fine and dandy on my aging E8500 in cubase. I dont use the divine setting, but that gets done in offline rendering anyway automatically (if you specify)

Very glad I picked this up, and it is quickly becoming my #1 workhorse. This combined with my nebula addiction; I have all the emulated analog mojo I need!

My copy of it from the beta period still works fine. If I understood synths better Diva would definitely be my next purchase.

I just bit the bullet and got Razor and my god does that thing makes some amazing sounds, but I have no idea how to save my own patches and from what I understand it's kind of designed that way which for the money sucks a loving dick.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My copy of it from the beta period still works fine. If I understood synths better Diva would definitely be my next purchase.

I just bit the bullet and got Razor and my god does that thing makes some amazing sounds, but I have no idea how to save my own patches and from what I understand it's kind of designed that way which for the money sucks a loving dick.

You can save your patches of course. Just append to a empty slot or save as ensemble.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The full version does come with a very healthy preset collection. Among these, a large bank of classic jupiter and juno sounds.

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010
Best free VST I've ever used. Guitar suite.

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

- Boss DS-1 (Distortion stompbox)
- Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive stompbox)
- Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)
- Oberheim PS-1 (Phaser stompbox)
- Univox Univibe (Modulations stompbox)
- Fender Twin 1969 (Guitar amplifier)
- Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb (Guitar amplifier)

In particular, the tubescreamer in front of the JCM900 sounds awesome (with a speaker sim, of course). Oh, speaking of speaker sims:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

They have a free speaker cab VST that's really good. They also have about a half dozen VSTs that are assorted amplifier sims. The Legion sounds good, kinda like a 5150. They also have some stuff for Macs.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Oh cool, my DS-1 broke

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone here have Nuklear?

http://www.hamburg-audio.com/index.php?nav=1000

They announced today Studio one owners get it for free (runs monophonic, you have to upgrade for poly) and there are some really cool presets in it but it is alien tech to me and the manual is rear end so I was wondering if anyone here uses it and can give a couple tips on how to use it.

Also all synths need to strictly follow the Massive/Absynth/FM8 way of easily categorizing and saving your patches. If I lose another sound I spent 2 hours making to some lovely save system again I am going to break something. :arghfist:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

bloodpuke posted:

Best free VST I've ever used. Guitar suite.

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

- Boss DS-1 (Distortion stompbox)
- Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive stompbox)
- Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)
- Oberheim PS-1 (Phaser stompbox)
- Univox Univibe (Modulations stompbox)
- Fender Twin 1969 (Guitar amplifier)
- Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb (Guitar amplifier)

In particular, the tubescreamer in front of the JCM900 sounds awesome (with a speaker sim, of course).

drat, it's PC only. I could've really used a good DS-1 emulation. :sigh:

quote:

Oh, speaking of speaker sims:

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

They have a free speaker cab VST that's really good. They also have about a half dozen VSTs that are assorted amplifier sims. The Legion sounds good, kinda like a 5150. They also have some stuff for Macs.

Seconding this recommendation. It is amazing how much the sound of my amp emulations improved just with their free cab download.

bloodpuke
Mar 7, 2010
I've used many other speaker cab sims before, including ones where you can select which microphone is used and the placement, and really fine tune things, but poulins lecab always sounds better.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Izotope released something called Iris. I can't really call it a synth its more a sound design tool and is pretty unique. It's pretty much alchemy lite. Check it out here:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/iris/

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 17, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Not so sure about that "unlike anything else" part. Looks an awful lot like alchemy to me!

We shall see though - yes, we shall!!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Not so sure about that "unlike anything else" part. Looks an awful lot like alchemy to me!

We shall see though - yes, we shall!!

No you are totally right I was wrong. After playing with the demo it is basically alchemy but nowhere near as good.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
atleast the UI is pretty huh

edit: I'm sorry to go on and on about Diva - but I just got a Roland SH-01 Gaia, and that only made it more clear how amazing it actually sounds.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Have you tried out Tone2 Saurus?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
The demo yes. I believe I uninstalled it after around 15 minutes. I really saw no reason to keep it, or buy it for that matter.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I like it a lot. It is simple to get a sound you want and sounds good. I think I will narrow down my synths to Massive/Alchemy/Saurus

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
It was more of a "I already have things that does this better" kind of thing for me. And it wasnt fun to use, which is somewhat important.

But yes, definitely narrow down, its a good idea. Once I get a new interface I'm considering a Blofeld, and I think I'll be set for a good while as well.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

atleast the UI is pretty huh

Chris Randall of Audio Damage did the UI. I dig it, as well. Does Alchemy implement those spectral tools?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yes Alchemy has spectral synthesis where you can draw on screen or import a png file and generate audio from that. Iris's UI and tools are much nicer for drawing poo poo on screen but considering how much more alchemy gives you I see no reason to buy Iris over Alchemy.

Also Camel Audio is literally the best loving company. Just go download the free alchemy player and click on try the full version in options to unlock alchemy for a month with no restrictions. Be warned you will lose weeks to it just loading samples and playing with it, its very addictive :unsmith:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Buy alchemy and a zoom H4N and the world is literally your instrument!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh man I really want that Zoom H4N :allears:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Its not a waste of money!

Mine doesnt see much use these days, but I did record pretty much non stop for 3 weeks when i first got it - built up a decent library of sounds.

GravyWPG
Sep 15, 2011

AAAAGH! BEEF GRAVY! IT'S BURNING MY FLESH! BUT IT'S SOOOO DELICIOUS!
I don't remember Alchemy having the spectrograph

e: I have a Zoom H1 and it is amazing for the price. So tiny you can take it anywhere, and it was like 99 bucks. The quality is great, too.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

GravyWPG posted:

I don't remember Alchemy having the spectrograph

Here it is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-77O8KR44&feature=related

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
What do you guys think about Alchemy vs. Absynth? It seems like the idea is the same, but I'm just getting into the ridiculously complicated world of Absynth and it seems like you can do ANYTHING. The granular stuff is freaking nuts!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

The Mystery Date posted:

What do you guys think about Alchemy vs. Absynth? It seems like the idea is the same, but I'm just getting into the ridiculously complicated world of Absynth and it seems like you can do ANYTHING. The granular stuff is freaking nuts!

Absynth is a pain in the rear end to use, the interface and the workflow is terrible. I gave up on trying to learn Absynth and use it as a rompler pretty much. Alchemy is extremely easy to use in comparison (yet super deep) and really encourages experimentation.

I honestly don't think Alchemy has an alternative or substitute.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Throwing in some love for Amplitube, hands down best VST for amp simulation, and it can also be run as a stand alone executable. For something so featured it runs really light in all my DAWs. I'm not crazy about their new pricing model with the custom shop and everything but it's still a personal favorite.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Ended up buying Iris. I played with the demo for a few hours and got musically useful results out of every preset I made from my own samples. I love the simplicity and immediacy of the interface, and it sounds amazing. Layering and mapping out interaction between the layers is drat fun. Lots of chance for unexpected sounds as well.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Can anyone recommend a good free VST that does 303 or in general acid-y sounds well?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Double Bass posted:

Throwing in some love for Amplitube, hands down best VST for amp simulation, and it can also be run as a stand alone executable. For something so featured it runs really light in all my DAWs. I'm not crazy about their new pricing model with the custom shop and everything but it's still a personal favorite.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in love with Amplitube. I think it's a bit overpriced, but they pretty much always have various bits and pieces of it on sale so if you're patient you can get a pretty good selection of gear fairly reasonably.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of IK sales, it looks like they've got Classik Studio Reverb marked down to $49 again. It's a really flexible set of reverbs, I use it on tons of stuff.

http://www.audiomidienews.com/audiomidienews/2012/4/12/csr-classik-studio-reverb-79-off.html

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In this whole Iris vs Alchemy debate, isn't Iris cheaper than Alchemy? Alchemy is $249, Iris (basic, digital download) is $149, with Iris+2 (again, digital download) is $199.

Not saying it's a big difference, but it's at least something to consider when comparing the two.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In this whole Iris vs Alchemy debate, isn't Iris cheaper than Alchemy? Alchemy is $249, Iris (basic, digital download) is $149, with Iris+2 (again, digital download) is $199.

Not saying it's a big difference, but it's at least something to consider when comparing the two.

It's the intro price till may then iris goes up to 249$ as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah, ok. Fair enough. My girlfriend actually just asked me what I'd like for my birthday, and I told her 'Alchemy'.

Got a general question. Jim Stout's tutorial for making monster voices involves vocoding his voice alongside a dog growl and a pitched down horse breathing sound. I'm mostly green to the whole vocoder world, but is this something that most vocoders offer as an option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Z_Rop_iGk&feature=channel&list=UL

He's using the Roland V-Synth for all of this. I'm hoping (and betting) that this isn't just a VSynth-specific feature.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free VST that does 303 or in general acid-y sounds well?

here's a whole page full not sure which are free if any but its a starting point

http://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_vst_plugin_software.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah, ok. Fair enough. My girlfriend actually just asked me what I'd like for my birthday, and I told her 'Alchemy'.

Got a general question. Jim Stout's tutorial for making monster voices involves vocoding his voice alongside a dog growl and a pitched down horse breathing sound. I'm mostly green to the whole vocoder world, but is this something that most vocoders offer as an option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Z_Rop_iGk&feature=channel&list=UL

He's using the Roland V-Synth for all of this. I'm hoping (and betting) that this isn't just a VSynth-specific feature.

Yes, that's a really basic use of a vocoder. A vocoder takes two sound sources as inputs (in that example, his voice is the carrier, the animal noises are the modulator), which can be anything -- synth tones, drum loops, whatever.

h_double fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 19, 2012