Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks!! ^^^^

Also, good news, everyone!!

Modartt releases Pianoteq 4, a $40 upgrade for current users, and free for those who bought Pianoteq 3 after Jan 1st, 2011.

http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq4

For anyone who has never used/heard Pianoteq before, it has to be one of, if not THE best, most realistic piano 'synthesizers' ever made. Not a sampler, it actually models the sound right then and there.

Oh math. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

I'm leaning heavily on this lately. Its fantastic for getting rid of redundant high/low frequencies and for gainstaging your poo poo.

It also does a pretty nice job at smooth distortion. If Decapacitator feels like a meat axe sometimes, this would be the butterknife!

edit: Also the price is most definitively right.

edit2: the cpuload is something from which dreams are made. Used on every track? Hardly a dent.

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 29, 2012

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Sonimus Statson

Thanks to this I also came across SonEQ, which definitely deserves a mention. Great little 3-band eq that's light on the cpu and sounds very smooth and analog. Given that its also free and cross-platform there's really no reason not to have it. If these are his first two products, I really hope that this guy keeps making plugins.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Those of you who are looking for a nice guitar amp plugin look no further:

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/overview

I have been playing with the trial all day and it kicks the poo poo out of amplitube/guitar rig while costing only $79.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Mr Jaunts posted:

there's really no reason not to have it.

One reason would be streamlining your plugin collection. Amassing large quantities will eventually get counter-productive in a fairly major way.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm leaning heavily on this lately. Its fantastic for getting rid of redundant high/low frequencies and for gainstaging your poo poo.

It also does a pretty nice job at smooth distortion. If Decapacitator feels like a meat axe sometimes, this would be the butterknife!

edit: Also the price is most definitively right.

edit2: the cpuload is something from which dreams are made. Used on every track? Hardly a dent.

I really would pay the money for that one but alas I' m a Pro Tooler and they don't make an RTAS version. Can get a "RTAS up to your rear end" thread?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

HollisBrown posted:

I really would pay the money for that one but alas I' m a Pro Tooler and they don't make an RTAS version. Can get a "RTAS up to your rear end" thread?

What about VCC? http://www.slatedigital.com/vcc.php

Its abit pricier for SURE, but atleast you have the option, and the folks over at gearslutz seem to be falling over themselves to praise this (and other slate items)

edit: Theres also this but I frankly find it HILARIOUSLY overpriced and more than a little outdated when you consider recent developments from slate and Acustica Audio's Nebula etc...

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 4, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

When I was a young little pirate I used to love the sound and convenience of the the Waves SSL E-Channel strip. Now I'm looking for something similar, but it absolutely has to be free.

I'm working with VSTHost, which hasn't got a real basic mixer (it's modular), and I'm getting sick of having a million plugin windows open at a time, or opening and closing them all the time. I've looked into Reaper, which would make things easier on that front, but I can't get used to its midi editor and it doesn't play nice as a midi slave of SEQ24 either. It's also not really free and that's part of my (arbitrary) goal.

Basically it needs to be a combined (semi) parametric EQ/Compressor, both of decent quality, preferably lightweight. If it has a low and highpass filter, great. Gate, basic panning and stereo widening/narrowing welcome. I'm not specifically looking for something neutral-sounding.

If it's a mixer plugin with most of these options for all the channels, that's ok too.

I've been looking through the KVR database, but channel strip isn't a search option there, so I haven't even got a single candidate. Anyone got any ideas? Any suggestion at all.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been looking through the KVR database, but channel strip isn't a search option there, so I haven't even got a single candidate. Anyone got any ideas? Any suggestion at all.

I'm not familiar with the Waves plugins, but it sounds like Variety of Sound's NastyVCS might be what you're looking for. It's got filters, EQ, a simplistic compressor, a limiter and even a saturator. It's free, has a clear UI and I think it sounds great (all of which applies to other VoS plugins). It's not very lightweight with everything enabled, but you can bypass the features you're not using.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Maximum Planck posted:

I'm not familiar with the Waves plugins, but it sounds like Variety of Sound's NastyVCS might be what you're looking for. It's got filters, EQ, a simplistic compressor, a limiter and even a saturator. It's free, has a clear UI and I think it sounds great (all of which applies to other VoS plugins). It's not very lightweight with everything enabled, but you can bypass the features you're not using.
That's verily exactly the sort of thing! Fingers crossed it doesn't murder my netbook too much.

Thanks man, I'll be checking that out thoroughly.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
So Eventide's new native plugs are on sale. I'm fairly interested in Black Hole which is half off. It's so new demos are pretty sparse though. Anyone have a chance to play with it? Have any audio up somewhere?

zomboid
Mar 2, 2011

Startyde posted:

So Eventide's new native plugs are on sale. I'm fairly interested in Black Hole which is half off. It's so new demos are pretty sparse though. Anyone have a chance to play with it? Have any audio up somewhere?

Check out ValhallaRoom before you bite. It's 50 bucks normally and is loved by many, including myself. Lots of professional soundtrack composers use it. It's great for subtle gluing reverb and also freaky weirdo space verbs. Added bonuses: the interface is clean and easy to work with, there's tons of really good usable presets as starting points, and it's algorithms are named after starships from the Alien films.

http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallaroom

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Besides Cubase's Reverence I havent used anything BUT Eos and ValhallaRoom for over a year now? Its that good. (Well apart from the Nebula VNXT 140 plate program that swallows 90% of my E8500)

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Is there any good reason to own both Z3ta+2 and Massive? I was going to pull the trigger on the NI sale to upgrade from my ancient Komplete 3, mostly for the sake of Massive. However, as far as I can tell without a demo (Cakewalk :argh:) Z3ta+2 appears to do what Massive can as a wavetable synthesizer, but has more oscillators, envelopes, lfos, the ability to directly see and manipulate the shape of the waveform itself, and the ability to oversample the waveforms. Massive's bend modes for controlling the oscillator shapes is pretty cool, and I'm not sure if it's directly duplicable in Z3ta+2. Aside from that, Massive seems to have a generally better UI but that's about it. Is this assessment reasonable/unreasonable?

I'll also piggyback a technical question I'm stuck on, as far as I can tell this is the thread for it? I'm running into a weird issue with the FM7 (and I assume by extension the FM8). I'm getting a really strong flange-sounding effect on the first notes of an instance of the instrument. It happens specifically when I have unison detune on. From searching the internet it sounds like I need to dephase the oscillators, i.e. make them start at different points in their cycles, but I'm not aware of a way to do this on the FM7. Is there a way to get around this or is it just a strange oversight in the synth?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
IK just put the full version of Amplitube 3 on sale for $99. Just sayin'. I have it and it's pretty frickin' awesome.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

mofolotopo posted:

IK just put the full version of Amplitube 3 on sale for $99. Just sayin'. I have it and it's pretty frickin' awesome.

Seconding, I've got a tooooon of plugins and this one's on pretty much every track with guitars. Easier than the real thing and sounds, to my ear, pretty much as good, if you familiarize yourself with the cabs especially (or if you've got a particular cab sim you like).

That S-Gear 2 plugin is no slouch, either, Softube-like quality and approach but with some well-done effects and a price that makes sense for three amps and a few effects (obviously not taking the "whole warehouse of stuff, have fun" approach of AT3, which is really a steal at $99, but the rest of the year the price disparity is fair, I think :v:).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yes, anyone who doesn't already own Amplitube 3 best get on this deal, it's amazing. I love the poo poo out of AT3 (really liked AT2 as well, thought not as much), and it's the only guitar amp sim I'll need for a while.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Not just for guitarists either. Jazz Chorus model is pretty drat good, sounds great on epianos.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Cross-post from the hip hop thread, 'cause it applies here too and I can't compete with some random dude's nunchuk video over a Satellite High track -

Thinking about some plugins thanks to summer sales going on... There's some dumb drama over this plugin because the company had some issues earlier on, but forget the "story" bullshit and what you have is a fully-featured channel strip that's both cheap and good. Mixcontrol Pro channel strip, $49. Three saturation modes each sound good (to give it a "channel strip" consistency used as inserts, or master bus, however you prefer) and the various functions are well done (standout is probably the comp, it'd be worth $50 just for the comp - but the EQ, gate, stereo space adjustment and limiter work very well too). Offers low and high resource utilization mode with effectively no latency in the low-resource mode, so you can track with it or mix with it without issues. I am really digging this plugin, it has no annoying copy protection call & response crap, you just buy it and it's yours... and it doesn't have any bugs in my setup. Cross-platform, and buying it gets you the mono and stereo versions. My only complaint is the metering could be faster, but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in accuracy and ease of readability. You'll have a good idea of what's going on with your frequencies, making the EQ plenty easy to use.

Other plugin, and this one should be interesting for rap production, is Voxengo's Voxformer. It's a vocal channel strip plugin that has taken on a much more generalist role in a lot of folks' setups, both because of continued development to make it fit the general channel strip role and because it just worked really well for that from the beginning. But drat is it good at vocals. It won't do your thinking for you, but it'll do the work. Voxengo plugins are always really good bang for the buck, this is one of the best they make. No-brainer imo, if you don't want to spend five times as much or more this hits the spot.

Just my opinion, but - I feel these are pretty much the only two commercial channel strip plugins under $250-ish that are worth spending money on, and they bump up, quality-wise, against much pricier options.

Not in the Hip-Hop thread, Voxengo GlissEQ is flat out awesome. I don't think any other EQ I've ever tried, inclusive, has added as much to mixing as GlissEQ.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
On a much more specific front, those of you with BFD 2 might want to check out Audiomidi's newest No-Brainer, which is a nice Zildjian cymbal pack from Digital Vault:

http://www.audiomidi.com/Gen16-Digital-Vault-Z-Pack-No-Brainer/dp/B00439GVLQ

$25, down from an MSRP of ten times that.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Flanky posted:

Is there any good reason to own both Z3ta+2 and Massive? I was going to pull the trigger on the NI sale to upgrade from my ancient Komplete 3, mostly for the sake of Massive. However, as far as I can tell without a demo (Cakewalk :argh:) Z3ta+2 appears to do what Massive can as a wavetable synthesizer, but has more oscillators, envelopes, lfos, the ability to directly see and manipulate the shape of the waveform itself, and the ability to oversample the waveforms. Massive's bend modes for controlling the oscillator shapes is pretty cool, and I'm not sure if it's directly duplicable in Z3ta+2. Aside from that, Massive seems to have a generally better UI but that's about it. Is this assessment reasonable/unreasonable?

They're both great (and fantastic sounding) synths, though they are fairly different in sound and design.

Z3ta+2
PRO: Great for complex, lush, arp-y sequences
PRO: Awesomely huge (quality) built-in preset library
PRO: Impressive built-in fx
CON: Kind of a pain in the rear end to program. Entering stuff into the modulation matrix is pretty fiddly, and there's lots of multi-page sub-windows to keep track of. Creating new arp sequences involves importing them as a .MID file.

MASSIVE
PRO: Beautifully designed UI, VERY intuitive, easy to see what's going on with the whole patch and tweak things on the fly
PRO: Lots of routing possibilities, fx well suited to the overall synth design (tube sims, bitcrusher, etc.)
CON: Built-in preset library is just so-so

Overall they're both really solid, it all depends on your workflow and what kind of sound you're after. You can find some patch demos on youtube for Z3ta+ that give a good sampling of what it can do. I love the way it sounds but I've never found it super inspiring for sound design. Massive isn't as comprehensive a synth, but it's very satisfyingly hands-on and well-suited for on-the-fly tweaking.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

Mixcontrol Pro channel strip, $49. Three saturation modes each sound good (to give it a "channel strip" consistency used as inserts, or master bus, however you prefer) and the various functions are well done (standout is probably the comp, it'd be worth $50 just for the comp - but the EQ, gate, stereo space adjustment and limiter work very well too). Offers low and high resource utilization mode with effectively no latency in the low-resource mode, so you can track with it or mix with it without issues. I am really digging this plugin, it has no annoying copy protection call & response crap, you just buy it and it's yours... and it doesn't have any bugs in my setup. Cross-platform, and buying it gets you the mono and stereo versions. My only complaint is the metering could be faster, but what it lacks in speed it makes up for in accuracy and ease of readability. You'll have a good idea of what's going on with your frequencies, making the EQ plenty easy to use.

How is this for acoustic instruments (guitars, banjo, ect..)? I've been in the market for something like this forever now, but I work much more with acoustic sources than VST synths and the like.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

How is this for acoustic instruments (guitars, banjo, ect..)? I've been in the market for something like this forever now, but I work much more with acoustic sources than VST synths and the like.

Very good and quite flexible, three different saturation modes give it three different colorations which are blendable with dry input separately from other processing, or no coloration at all if you choose. I do think it's bumping up against the Slate console emulations in quality, but for about 1/5 the price (and with a different overall feature set and workflow, too; you don't get nearly as many variants, saturation is the only one that has three distinct styles or off rather than wholly modeled console sections), but everything else is quite fully-featured for what they do and it sounds great for the price.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 15, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Arturia seems to have dropped prices on all their softsynths now too. $99 for JP8 really isnt that bad. I just dropped 200 on nebula programs so I'll have to wait a while. Deffo gonna grab it though!

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

h_double posted:

They're both great (and fantastic sounding) synths, though they are fairly different in sound and design.

Z3ta+2
PRO: Great for complex, lush, arp-y sequences
PRO: Awesomely huge (quality) built-in preset library
PRO: Impressive built-in fx
CON: Kind of a pain in the rear end to program. Entering stuff into the modulation matrix is pretty fiddly, and there's lots of multi-page sub-windows to keep track of. Creating new arp sequences involves importing them as a .MID file.

MASSIVE
PRO: Beautifully designed UI, VERY intuitive, easy to see what's going on with the whole patch and tweak things on the fly
PRO: Lots of routing possibilities, fx well suited to the overall synth design (tube sims, bitcrusher, etc.)
CON: Built-in preset library is just so-so

Overall they're both really solid, it all depends on your workflow and what kind of sound you're after. You can find some patch demos on youtube for Z3ta+ that give a good sampling of what it can do. I love the way it sounds but I've never found it super inspiring for sound design. Massive isn't as comprehensive a synth, but it's very satisfyingly hands-on and well-suited for on-the-fly tweaking.

Thanks so much! This was really helpful. I decided to get the upgrade after all.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure some of you might have seen this one already (it's old), but recently I came accross a beautiful piece of software called jBridge.

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

quote:

Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process, in this last case.

Now that Ableton finally whipped out a 64bit version I needed something to sort out a bunch of old unsupported plugins that I still use. jBridge did the trick and all those 32bit plugs are now working in the 64bit environment.

Thought I'd share this with you guys in case someone here runs into the same problem.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Its not entirely stable. And therefore useless to me.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Blessed be Reaper 64-bit's native 32-bit bridging going back a long time now. I'm sure there are plugins that it doesn't cooperate with properly, but I've got VSTs going back to early 2.0 standards and it handles them fine. Haven't ever encountered a crash caused by issues with the VST bridging (well, it's actually just been very stable in general, but that's an area that can cause serious issues if it's not done right so rock on with your Cockos).

Just a side note, ever since the proliferation of competing ____ OS in advertisement, mainly on tablets and phones and such, pronounced as "Eye OhEss" or "Android OhEss" or whatever, now I have a hard time not seeing Reaper's developer as CockOS. :kiddo:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Agreed posted:

Just a side note, ever since the proliferation of competing ____ OS in advertisement, mainly on tablets and phones and such, pronounced as "Eye OhEss" or "Android OhEss" or whatever, now I have a hard time not seeing Reaper's developer as CockOS. :kiddo:

It's a touch interface. :q:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

http://www.x-buz.com/BuzCompFree.html These are my favourite free compressors. Features hard and linear compressors and a 3 band version of each.

Grancomp in particular is on nearly every channel of my tracks. It's super low cpu, has selectable saturation types, multiple types of gain reduction, a built in limiter and good monitoring.

These are the best distortion plugins I've used: http://www.mokafix.com/en/effects-overview.html. All recreations of actual guitar pedals, but sound awesome on synths (and some on drums, particularly the sentor). The shop seems to be shut now, so I suppose they're free if you can find them.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Its not entirely stable. And therefore useless to me.
That sucks but yeah you're right. I have had issues with some plugins lagging and choppy sound, but got around that by tweaking inside the jBridge menu.

On the other hand, there are a couple of plugs that don't load the user interface. The old mdaPiano comes to mind first (in fact I think the whole mda series does this). It's kind of annoying, but at least we can still twiddle with their settings in the regular Live window.

Guess it doesn't work with every plug on every hardware setup etc.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can anyone recommend a good free VST with a nice simple synthy string sample in it like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJthA4l8S5U&t=111s 1.50 in.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free VST with a nice simple synthy string sample in it like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJthA4l8S5U&t=111s 1.50 in.

Sounds like a manipulated violin sample to me but I'd say mellotron strings would come pretty close. Pretty good free vst, Stringer does some string synths, but also has mellotron samples. You'll get there closer with a ROMpler style synth like Wusikstation I'd wager, but it's not free.
NI Kontakt Player is free, requires registration, and has some really great instrument samples. It allows for some editing of the sound as well, really well done multisampling considering the price.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks for the tip about Kontakt. I installed it, but it seems to be running in demo mode and keeps timing out. Do you know how I can switch it? I thought it could be run as a "full" product without buying something.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Thanks for the tip about Kontakt. I installed it, but it seems to be running in demo mode and keeps timing out. Do you know how I can switch it? I thought it could be run as a "full" product without buying something.
Are you confusing Kontakt Player with Kontakt? Because they're not the same thing AFAIK.

If you're looking for a fully fledged free sampler, take a look at Shortcircuit. It's discontinued, but that just means there are no now versions coming out. Version 1 has a minimal help file, version 2 has nothing, but you can figure the most basic functionality out if you've ever used a sampler before. It requires you to make shortcuts to the samples you want to use in a subfolder in the folder where the vst resides. That was the most confusing thing at first.

Conveniently, I once sampled an old string synthesizer (Welson Symphony) and I still have those samples available for download as a rar here, if you need something to play around with (with whatever sampler you prefer). You'll have to reprogram the envelope curves if you're not using Kontakt though.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Popcorn posted:

If you downloaded the free Kontakt Player, that doesn't have to be registered or anything, but the "factory selection" sound library, which is a separate download, does have to be registered in the Native Instruments Service Center, which is a separate application that I presume will be installed by one of the downloads.

The full version of Kontakt obviously has to be registered in Service Center, if you bought that.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

So I can use the Kontakt Player free, but without any samples to use with it?

e: official NI Kontakt ones I mean.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 30, 2012

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Only certain libraries support Kontakt Player. Basically the ones where a developer paid money to NI in order to support the free player. Since this is added cost to them it is usually only for libraries which are already bigger and more expensive. SoundIron has been doing something cool where it lets users choose a "Player Edition" of some of their existing libraries for a small extra cost.

http://www.soundiron.com/instruments/pianos/emotional-piano-player-edition/
http://www.soundiron.com/instruments/choirs/requiem-light-player-edition/

But they're still the exception, not the norm.

For $99 you could get UVI String Machines, they're more on the synth side and that youtube sounds like it's a sample-based but if you like that type of sound it might work for you.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Popcorn posted:

The factory selection is free, but requires you create an NI login. They send you a serial to "register" it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Popcorn posted:

At the link I provided in my earlier post you download the Kontakt player and the factory selections library separately, but they're both definitely free. In order to use factory selections, you need to get a registration code from NI (you need to enter a valid email just to download it).