Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Does anyone know of a free Mellotron VST? I want to experiment with the sound a bit but I'm not ready to commit money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Here are some free Mellotron samples.

quote:

The 3 Violins and Combined Brass were sampled in 2003 from a 1973 Mellotron M400S. The String Section, Combined Choir, GC3 Brass, M300A, M300B and Woodwind 2 were sampled in 2008. The MkII Flute and Cello were sampled in 2010. The first 5 notes of the Cello were produced by a double bass, hence, the difference in sound from the rest of the notes. The tapes and frames were brand new when sampled. The 3 Violins sound is the harsher sounding MkII Violins and not the M400 violins, which are really the MkII violins with the top end rolled off. The samples were recorded "hot" with the tone control fully clockwise. This is not how M400's are normally played. The tone control is generally set from about 1/8 to 1/3 clockwise, assuming the amplification system tones are flat. You may want to cut the top end due to the brightness of the samples. A volume pedal is a must for authentic Mellotronic dynamics. Each set of samples is about 20 megabytes.

These samples have not been looped so as to retain the need to use the spider technique of playing a real Mellotron. If you want to loop them, that's your choice. They are approximately 7 seconds in length and retain both the initial attack, and in many cases, the bad endings.

So, you'll have to roll your own patch in your sampler of choice, and you'll probably want to add a lowpass filter and some volume modulation, but all of that is pretty quick & easy.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Declan MacManus posted:

Does anyone know of a free Mellotron VST? I want to experiment with the sound a bit but I'm not ready to commit money.
SampleTank Free comes with sound set that's pretty much a sampler of their various sound libraries. (Sort of like NI's free Komplete Elements.) The free library includes a few patches from their Sampletron product, which is a pretty awesome Mellotron/Optigan library. They had a great sale on sampletron a few months ago, and I picked it up then. It's $99 now I think.

Even though it's free, you need to create an IK Multimedia account to get the Sampletank Free download.

Sampletank:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/

Sampletron:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletron/

EDIT: Their website is confusing as hell, in my opinion. Once you're registered and approved, you go to the "User Area" of the site to see your available downloads. It's not obvious, but the plugin and sound library are two separate downloads. 32-bit only.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 12, 2012

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

renderful posted:

Both 8Dio and Sound Iron are great companies. I believe they used to be the same company, and then split into those two. I've got sample packs from the first incarnation and they're well organized and perfectly recorded.

Tonehammer. I was sad when they dissolved but actually they've released so much new and better stuff as two companies it's been a good thing for all.

Kontakt is the single best VST I ever bought just because it allows me to use so many cool sample libraries like the ones these guys put out.

Embertone is another great small vendor, just a few instruments now but their solo trumpet is amazing ($30! wtf!?) and their violin demo sounds the best I've heard.
https://soundcloud.com/embertone/embertone-solo-violin

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

mr_package posted:

Embertone is another great small vendor, just a few instruments now but their solo trumpet is amazing ($30! wtf!?) and their violin demo sounds the best I've heard.

Thank you so much for this. I want everything, and I can actually afford it!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess my app will stay stand-alone then.

Don't give up just yet, you can use the Juce framework as an alernative to the VST SDK, and as an added bonus you can compile to AU in the same go as well:

http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce.php

Declan MacManus posted:

I like Tapeworm:

http://tweakbench.com/tapeworm

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 12, 2012

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

mr_package posted:

Yeah, good stuff. I just got hip to them this week when I was looking for an Ocarina reproduction.

Progressive Trance cover of Saria's Song in 3... 2...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Declan MacManus posted:

I've kept Tapeotronic in my collection for some reason. Plus some of the other ones from the same guy. They're decent.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have my recording rig set up out here but I'm definitely going to try all of these.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

This was the one I was trying to think of, thanks. And actually, most of the Tweakbench stuff is good.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Heads up, NI is giving away a free plugin for the holidays:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#...urce=newsletter

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Regarding that NI Driver-- I only played with it for a few minutes, but it seems pretty great and the price is right!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

u-he just released a revamped version of their Podolski freeware synth.

Also, some of the current deals on Waves bundles are really attractive. I keep hovering over the Buy button on the API Collection + V Series bundle, but I'm trying really hard to save for something else...

EDIT: Really pleased with that NI Driver freebie. I hear NI is also sending out vouchers to existing customers, but I haven't received anything yet.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got a $30 voucher yesterday. Only good until the end of the year, though.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I got 25 Euros. Dunno what to get though. Are they combinable? I may have another 50€ voucher lying around in some inbox.

Edit: On the other hand, I already have Komplete, so it'd have to be some sort of sample thing... Any recommendations?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have Komplete Ultimate, so I'm in the same boat only worse. The only thing that really appeals that I don't already have is Vintage Drummer, but I'm not sure I want to pay $89 for it.

You know, the thing that wasn't in Komplete that I use most is Alicia's Keys - it's a very distinct sound from the rest of the pianos in Komplete, and it's pretty much exactly the perfect piano sound for a lot of the stuff I do. Very mellow and dark. Reminds me of my mother's old piano.

I also got Session Horns a little while ago. It's decent.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

You know, the thing that wasn't in Komplete that I use most is Alicia's Keys - it's a very distinct sound from the rest of the pianos in Komplete, and it's pretty much exactly the perfect piano sound for a lot of the stuff I do. Very mellow and dark. Reminds me of my mother's old piano.

I also got Session Horns a little while ago. It's decent.

Alicia's Keys and Session Strings Pro are both pretty awesome, and make Ultimate worth it since they make up the price difference. I thought about session horns, but the stuff I want to do doesn't really sound like the examples they put up. I guess you could describe what I want as "cinematic" sounding, though I wouldn't be arranging scores. Unfortunately, the sample libraries I like the sound of are all too expensive to justify occasional use.

Edit: If you bought Ultimate more than a few months ago, you probably can get Vintage drummer. They sent me an email a while ago with download links, since it's just a reworked version of the Abbey Road Drummer Series.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

wayfinder posted:

Edit: On the other hand, I already have Komplete, so it'd have to be some sort of sample thing... Any recommendations?
I've used every one of my vouchers on Maschine expansions. They just released a new one I'll snag if I ever get the Christmas voucher.

Raw Voltage and Vintage Heat are badass if you have Maschine but haven't gotten any expansions yet.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 18, 2012

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Mystery Date posted:

Edit: If you bought Ultimate more than a few months ago, you probably can get Vintage drummer. They sent me an email a while ago with download links, since it's just a reworked version of the Abbey Road Drummer Series.

WHAT

Sheeeeit.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

So, Native Instruments customers were supposed to get voucher emails (and many did), but there must have been some problems because a lot of folks didn't get the mail, including me.

Turns out the voucher code's valid for anyone- but it's only valid til the end of December.

One of the NI forums administrators posted the code here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1123871&postcount=23

Standard $30 USD / 25 Euro deal.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 19, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

EastWest is having a holiday sale- 50% off
http://www.soundsonline.com/Holiday-Promotion

Does anyone have Hollywood strings/brass and can weigh in on whether it's worth it (it comes to $600 for both)? I had really good luck with their Symphonic Orchestra Silver but costwise this is another ballpark. It's for big dumb symphonic pieces and the occasional Bartok/Glass ripoff.

Anyone know if Ministry of Rock 2 is well-reputed?

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

EastWest is having a holiday sale- 50% off
http://www.soundsonline.com/Holiday-Promotion

Does anyone have Hollywood strings/brass and can weigh in on whether it's worth it (it comes to $600 for both)? I had really good luck with their Symphonic Orchestra Silver but costwise this is another ballpark. It's for big dumb symphonic pieces and the occasional Bartok/Glass ripoff.

I have both HS and HB. They are good, definitely have that "Hollywood" sound. But there are plenty of excellent competitors in the orchestral world. Depending on how serious you are about divisi writing or insisting that your violas and violins be written separately you might be better off with something like Spitfire Albion I and/or II, which uses shared sections, e.g. "Strings High" and "Strings Low".

There are some other interesting strings libraries such as 8Dio's Adagio series.

Cinematic Strings 2 is another good one-- I don't have it but very popular for excellent sound and ease-of-use/workflow.

Also the sys reqs for HS are pretty high-- you really want to load the samples off an SSD and have a lot of RAM (I would say 8GB absolute bare minimum). For $600 I'd grab them, unless that's your entire budget. I mean, LASS is $1000, doesn't sound as good (but does offer other advantages) so ~$300 for HS is a steal. But "pro" orch libraries are expensive so once you step into that world you kind of develop a different perspective on pricing. :-)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Mystery Date posted:

NI is saying this isn't true. Sure you're not thinking of 60's Drummer?

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

NI is saying this isn't true. Sure you're not thinking of 60's Drummer?

Whoops, I was thinking of vintage compressors. Sorry about that. That's what happens when you post from work and don't check later to make sure.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rightyo, no worries.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The Mystery Date posted:

Whoops, I was thinking of vintage compressors. Sorry about that. That's what happens when you post from work and don't check later to make sure.
Yeah the Vintage Drummer's a completely new product. Looks interesting, but I'm holding out for the next Komplete. Will give me time to use all the stuff I haven't spent much time with in K8U.

I've gotta say, though, I'm really pleased with NI as a company. I bought K8U back in May and since then I've gotten what 8 or 9 different free additional products from them (the Abbey Road re-reboots and the Vintage Compressors/Transient Master standalones)? And I've gotten maybe 5 or 6 discount vouchers from them for various things through the year.

Plus their products are mostly solid, have easy installation/activation, and all now available in both 32 and 64 bit.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And they sound loving fantastic. My only real bitch with NI is that there's no easy method (or method at ALL as far as I've found so far) to use variable hi hats with the Abbey Road drummer series, which makes it borderline worthless for those of us with Midi drum sets. BFD has this as just a simple check box, Kontakt should as well.

Oh and you can do variable hats in Battery but it's a huge pain in the rear end compared to BFD.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Radiapathy posted:

So, Native Instruments customers were supposed to get voucher emails (and many did), but there must have been some problems because a lot of folks didn't get the mail, including me.

Turns out the voucher code's valid for anyone- but it's only valid til the end of December.

One of the NI forums administrators posted the code here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1123871&postcount=23

Standard $30 USD / 25 Euro deal.

Hell, I got an e-mail even though I'm not a customer (yet - Komplete Audio 6 interface coming on Christmas). If they have a Christmas sale, I'm picking up Massive or FM8.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Is there a good free multiband compressor?

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
Anyone have any recommendations for a good cheap/free theremin VST?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sears Poncho posted:

Only one I know of is Spook Keys, which is a freebie for Windows.

Also Sears Poncho is a completely awesome username.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

h_double posted:

Only one I know of is Spook Keys, which is a freebie for Windows.

Yeah, that was one of the ones that came up on a google search - downloaded it, but haven't got a chance to try it out yet, looks pretty solid though.

h_double posted:

Also Sears Poncho is a completely awesome username.

Thanks. I wanted a real one.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

I've used every one of my vouchers on Maschine expansions. They just released a new one I'll snag if I ever get the Christmas voucher.

Raw Voltage and Vintage Heat are badass if you have Maschine but haven't gotten any expansions yet.
Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up using the voucher last-minute on Raw Voltage. I was all set to spend it on Vintage Heat when listening to the sample tracks for that pack, and the first few sample tracks for Raw Voltage really didn't grab me, but in the end I decided to go with it. Some of the more interesting melodic demos in the Raw Voltage set sounded really nice to me.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Sears Poncho posted:

There's a few sample libraries out there.
Here's one: http://www.wavelore.com/products.php?product=WLEP It's $30 until Jan 7, but requires Kontakt.
IK's Samplemoog is €80, but drops in price quite often and has 3 theremins and loads of Moog synths, and doesn't require Kontakt:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/samplemoog/
Then there's this, which is more theremin 'inspired' but would probably still get the job done:
http://www.sampleism.com/noisymichael/resonator
Requires Kontakt, but is only £2.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Samplemoog is pretty freakin' great, I have to say, and does a lot more than theremin sounds. If you can afford to wait until it goes on sale again, I highly recommend it. I think I grabbed it for $50 US.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

ReaXComp takes some getting used to, but is pretty good for a freebie:
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/index.php

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ashgromnies posted:

I've been relying on the GVST bundle for a lot of basic stuff, so that's where I would go for this as well.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
What's the best violin/strings VSTi that I can get without paying anything because I literally have no money? I've been using DSK stuff and virtuoso has a lot of great sounds but I think the strings are lacking. I've tried a bunch of other stuff but they all sound like they were made in 1998 and I can help the sound a bit with some nice reverbs but it still sounds kinda crappy and cheap. I've been working on remixing some old video game music to sound modern but I find it kinda funny how a lot of my string sounds actually sound really similar to stuff I'm trying to improve.

I was planning on adding in one violin at a time to the track and panning them out like an orchestra layout and making very very slight pitch modulation on each violin to make it sound more realistic but reaper just keeps crashing. Either the DSK VSTis are unstable or I dunno what, my PC is more than powerful enough to push that much stuff.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been relying on the GVST bundle for a lot of basic stuff, so that's where I would go for this as well.

Should have been more specific, I use OS X -- the GVST site only mentions Windows. Are VSTs platform-dependent? edit: yes, they are :(

I'm looking for a free oscilloscope VST too if anyone knows of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ashgromnies posted:

Should have been more specific, I use OS X -- the GVST site only mentions Windows. Are VSTs platform-dependent? edit: yes, they are :(

I'm looking for a free oscilloscope VST too if anyone knows of one.

http://betabugs.de/products/oszillos-mega-scope/

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4

are both decent and have both Mac + Windows versions.

The betabugs one makes you sign up for a beta program, but they immediately email you a download link.

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 17, 2013