Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My favourite part in any situation like this is the first person says something lovely, someone else says "hey you said something lovely" to which a bunch of idiots tell them they can't say that. It's clockwork, amazingly refined. And loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sometimes, I feel like setting up some sort of social media account, something that isn't registered to anything or anyone related to me IRL, just so I can absolutely and safely go off on these at-right chucklefuck transphobes, racists, bigots, etc. Because these people, like kiwifarms, can and will make your life absolute hell if they get your real info.

It'd be like a social media batman.

But then I realize that the thing taking on the most violence would be my mental health, so I don't.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah definitely don’t do that

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sometimes, I feel like setting up some sort of social media account, something that isn't registered to anything or anyone related to me IRL, just so I can absolutely and safely go off on these at-right chucklefuck transphobes, racists, bigots, etc. Because these people, like kiwifarms, can and will make your life absolute hell if they get your real info.

It'd be like a social media batman.

But then I realize that the thing taking on the most violence would be my mental health, so I don't.

That's how it starts LOL

It would also take up time and the more time you give it, the more it changes you.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

free Trapt CD posted:

Love to see hundreds of comments complaining about "the torches and pitchforks mob". Just a really solid, self-aware crowd this dude chose to align himself with there.

Suppose he's hoping one or two of them will buy a sample library instead of yet another pair of jackboots. gently caress the lot of them.

The fact that he hasn't said "My opinions are my own as are my actions, don't go after others for them" says more about him than his loving lovely opinions.

Dude was always going to flame out in one way or another, just super sucks it was in a manner that caused so much backlash for others.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

apatheticman posted:

The fact that he hasn't said "My opinions are my own as are my actions, don't go after others for them" says more about him than his loving lovely opinions.

Dude was always going to flame out in one way or another, just super sucks it was in a manner that caused so much backlash for others.

I’m going to disagree, I’m glad he outed the whole company as being complicit in transphobia instead of pretending he’s an aberration of a great place to work.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’m going to disagree, I’m glad he outed the whole company as being complicit in transphobia instead of pretending he’s an aberration of a great place to work.

Fair enough.

Was more referring to the Pianobook community that got several trans moderators and collaborators ran off or put in lovely situations where work they were proud of was suddenly tainted by ol "look at me I got opinions" Henson.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey VST Megathread, I wanted to report that after much agonizing I decided to spend what little mad money I have this month on a license for Jamorigin's MIDIguitar. And my first impression is really good. I'm just using it to convert the guitar to MIDI and sending it to Surge XT, the free VST and I'm getting virtually no noticeable latency. Of course I'm using a good sound device from Focusrite, but in any case I'm trying monophonic and polyphonic, and I've noticed that if I apply a little vibrato to the strings it is picking that up as well and giving them to Surge as well, same for bent notes. I would like to say it's tracking as well as my SY-300, but I'm not really sure yet. I'm playing with topnotch gear all around here so if you are playing with less quality stuff your results may vary. I'm quite impressed and suspecting this was well worth the price tag.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

don’t say stuff like that don’t tempt me :(

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

don’t say stuff like that don’t tempt me :(

My results varied with different VSTs and with individual presets. As you probably know, Surge has a bazillion really nice presets, some of those worked perfectly with no observable latency. Same for Pigments. Strumming with a mono synth of course gets mixed results, as did some other presets, for various reasons. Trying it with some old VSTs the results were not as consistently good, but the two VST3I plugins I tried seemed to do the best. Nothing unexpected, I suppose. Still experimenting with different strumming techniques, it's pretty cool.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Any tape delay plugins that aren’t going to cost $$$? I’m using reaper and the ui on redelay is not cutting it

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Any tape delay plugins that aren’t going to cost $$$? I’m using reaper and the ui on redelay is not cutting it
My son, have you heard the good word of Valhalla Delay?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

PTSDeedly Do posted:

The ones I use cost $$$, but it's always worth looking here: https://plugins4free.com/effects/Delay-Echo/?page=1

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Been playing with the MIDIguitar again, I should make the caveat that the latency, which is near zero at best, increases dramatically when you try strumming. I don't have the processing power to handle a fast strum of all the strings. But for tapping, I think it may be where it is best.

ED: Okay scratch that. Now I'm trying a preset I really didn't think I'd be able to strum and I was with little to no latency once again. So once again I'm wrong. I have latency issues at various times with different presets and I think some of that is due to those particular settings being designed for something other than what I'm doing with it.

ED2: Okay, I'm now playing the VST and simultaneously sending out to my NTS-1 via my old MAudio MIDIsport, it's tracking perfectly though it lacks things like the tremelo, which the VST Pigments does pick up, as well as bent notes.

ED3: And now I've been sending MIDI from the VST to my NTS-1, my Mininova, alternately or together, in addition to the VSTIs. And it does appear to be picking up a lot of tremelo and vibrato and so forth in addition to bent string, once again it appears to be a matter of choosing the right settings or preset. It really is nice to be able to control my Mininova with my guitar.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 6, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

The ones I use cost $$$, but it's always worth looking here: https://plugins4free.com/effects/Delay-Echo/?page=1

Try TAL-DUB II if you haven't. It might not be quite what you're looking for, but it's a characterful delay in it's own right.
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/598/

Also DVS Space Echo is really good for long warm delays

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2530/

but actually:

Oldstench posted:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Posted this in Stupid Music poo poo, but for visibility sake, Waves has started its subscription only model. Your owned plugins (should) keep their licensing, but you can no longer purchase plugins through them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WavesAudioLtd/status/1640045183235391488

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

Posted this in Stupid Music poo poo, but for visibility sake, Waves has started its subscription only model. Your owned plugins (should) keep their licensing, but you can no longer purchase plugins through them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WavesAudioLtd/status/1640045183235391488

Why can't companies just offer the two pronged approach? Allow people to buy them or subscribe to them. Maybe offer a subscription discount based on how many eligible plugins you already own in your account, I don't know. Even not offering the discount would be preferable to not allowing a user to purchase them.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Why can't companies just offer the two pronged approach? Allow people to buy them or subscribe to them. Maybe offer a subscription discount based on how many eligible plugins you already own in your account, I don't know. Even not offering the discount would be preferable to not allowing a user to purchase them.

MBAs want continual revenue, simple as.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bought my copy of CR8 just under the wire, it appears.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i knew i shouldn’t have wished that waves would stop marketing their plugins as being perpetually on sale as a cheap way of inducing fear of missing out on a monkey’s paw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Audiothing gently clapping back...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Audiothing gently clapping back...

I got into an argument with someone trying to argue the company they work for was deserving of changing to a subscription model by simply saying I personally would not subscribe and continue on with an old version. They were mad I would continue using the thing I already paid for in a theoretical world where they charged differently for updates.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I got into an argument with someone trying to argue the company they work for was deserving of changing to a subscription model by simply saying I personally would not subscribe and continue on with an old version. They were mad I would continue using the thing I already paid for in a theoretical world where they charged differently for updates.

Wow, the corporate shill virus has infected their mind. I hope this wasn't a friend or acquaintance. If so, my condolences.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wow, the corporate shill virus has infected their mind. I hope this wasn't a friend or acquaintance. If so, my condolences.

Nah just an iOS music dev spouting nonsense in the discord you gotta join to get any kinda support

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

Nah just an iOS music dev spouting nonsense in the discord you gotta join to get any kinda support

This is the question of our time though. How do I squeeze more money out of these idiots? And its lesser-known corollary, how do I turn it all into passive income?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

petit choux posted:

This is the question of our time though. How do I squeeze more money out of these idiots? And its lesser-known corollary, how do I turn it all into passive income?

Lol I know this isn’t the ios apps thread but I’m gonna name them anyway cause this was months ago and they didn’t stop their false advertising. Sorry in advance for the rant.

It’s beatmaker 3, which is a good product to be fair. They charge $26.99 as is. This is their version history to show the maintenance work they think is worth discussing a change to a subscription.

This all started because someone was asking when the iphone version was coming (note the app description).

They always get mad when the iPhone version comes up, they ‘stopped development of it years ago and that app description is from 2019 so actually you’re wrong for even asking about something so minor and old. Plus you’ve gotten plenty for your $27 (which should really be a subscription model to sustain the work they’re doing).’ Someone else said the app description could be updated if that’s no longer the case, and they agreed.

Screens from today, at least 6 months later

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Moving to a subscription only model works if you have an application that is too expensive for people to easily afford, have a majority market share and the industry standard product, or offer recurrent services.

I learned Maya back in college in the 00's. I didn't buy a copy because that was over $3,000 at the time. Paying $20 per month over the course of the semesters for a student subscription would have been affordable if it were available.

Adobe has an industry standard product in Photoshop. It doesn't matter much if they pissed off their client base moving to a subscription model, because it's too big to be ignored.

MSPs exist for small companies who need IT services but don't want to shell out for full time help.

Then here comes fuckin' Waves with none of that poo poo but some MBA rear end in a top hat shouting "recurring revenue!" from the treetops thinking they're big enough to get away with it.

Anyway, check your emails, Pligin Alliance sent out a $20 no minimum spend coupon last night. I picked up their Bassman sim free with that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
friends don’t let friends buy waves

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I finally upgraded my old iMac with a Mac Studio a few weeks ago. Paid to upgrade my half-dozen or so Waves products.

Now this. I wouldn't have paid the money if I knew this was coming. I'm already annoyed how many of my plug-ins were rendered useless with the OS and chip upgrade. Ah well - it's not like I've been making music anyway, and this great purge allows me to concentrate on a smaller variety of tools, I guess....

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

friends don’t let friends buy waves

“buy” waves

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I've been in multiple pro studios that used the cracked Mercury bundle like it's the most normal thing in the world. I'm sure Waves saw the writing on the wall, they have the analytics.

What's annoying is they won't let you access the new "cloud" StudioRack presets even if you already have all plugins they use licensed. So if I want the Mick Gordon kick chain I need to pony up like a new user :mad:

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I have some waves stuff, but the only ones I have that feel hard to replace are the z noise and the Abbey Road mastering one. The z noise just seems to work really well and I'm used to using it, I'm sure another noise reduction would work fine though. The mastering one I like the stereo spreader and the m/s eq, is there anything anyone could recommend?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Don't worry waves is already backtracking

email waves sent posted:

Over the past few days, many of you have expressed concerns about our decision to discontinue perpetual plugin licenses and our move to an exclusive plugin subscription model.
I would like to start by apologizing for the frustration we have caused many of you, our loyal customers. We understand that our move was sudden and disruptive, and did not sufficiently take into consideration your needs, wishes, and preferences.
We are genuinely sorry for the distress it has caused.   
After respectfully listening to your concerns, I want to share with you that we are bringing back the perpetual plugin license model, side-by-side with the new subscriptions.
You will again be able to get plugins as perpetual licenses, just as before.   
In addition, those of you who already own perpetual licenses will once again be able to update your plugins and receive a second license via the Waves Update Plan—again, just as before. This option, too, will be available alongside and independently of the subscription program.   
We are currently putting all our efforts into making perpetual licenses available to you again, as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you can keep up-to-date on this news page, where we will post the latest updates on perpetual license availability. 
 I would like you to know that we are committed to you, our users. We listened to your feedback, and we will continue to listen to you. Waves is a company filled with users and creators, just like you, and we are all as passionate about the products as you are. With this in mind, we will strive to find the way to make things right by you, and hopefully regain your trust.   
Thank you for your feedback and continued support—I wish you all the best,   Meir Shashoua
CTO and Co-Founder, Waves Audio

Now you can have 2 simultaneously lovely upgrade plans!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, lookie-here :smug:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Humble has a no-brainer bundle right now. A bunch of loops and Cherry Audio synths at pay-what-you-want.

PS-20 is my go-to bass synth.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/level-up-music-creators-power-pack-software

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

OutOfPrint posted:

Humble has a no-brainer bundle right now. A bunch of loops and Cherry Audio synths at pay-what-you-want.

PS-20 is my go-to bass synth.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/level-up-music-creators-power-pack-software
Actually mixcraft is in there and that seems a cheap way to get a daw that isn't crippled but has an ableton like grid. I'm checking it out now.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I bought software I'll forget to install. Go me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

It's so good. I probably have twenty different delay plugins but Valhalla is the one I use all the time. Probably 80% of my delay usage is Valhalla now, with the rest of it being mostly Bitwig's built-in delays and Audiothing Wires.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, Wires is such a fun delay. It's a bit hard to tune to something that sounds good, but once I find that sound, nothing else comes close.

It's also part of the reason I've been working off and on for a year or so on a CIA themed album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If anyone has a recent full version of Kontakt and wants an absolute dickload of instruments for $49, Plugin Boutique is selling Rigid Audio's entire catalog at a huge discount right now.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/57-Complete-Collection/8644-Rigid-Audio-Everything-Bundle