Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GravyWPG
Sep 15, 2011

AAAAGH! BEEF GRAVY! IT'S BURNING MY FLESH! BUT IT'S SOOOO DELICIOUS!
I use Massive for pretty much everything now, but it's already gotten lots of love.

Reaktor is probably the most powerful piece of software I own, though I still haven't dived into it. It is INSANE what you can do with it.

I also quite enjoy the D16 plugins, especially Decimort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't think that was true even 5-6 years ago, maybe more like 10? Anyway, yes Sonar takes VSTs nowadays.

e: Oh actually it looks like built-in support wasn't until 2005, but there was a wrapper prior to that.

I'm pretty sure it's using the same wrapper internally, it's just bundled in now rather than a separate purchase. Sonar is interesting in that it has a modern audio engine and solid feature set, but there are little nooks and crannies of it where you can tell it's built on a 20 year old codebase, bits that probably date back to the Windows 3.1 era.

Mister Speaker posted:

Ohmicide is fantastic.

I'm generally a fan of Ohm Force's plugins, OhmBoyz in particular is an awesome delay with lots of dubby saturated feedbacky goodness going on. It has four predelays and two separate delay channels (and pretty much every knob has its own dedicated internal LFO) so you can do some crazy complex stuff with it, and it sounds good for simple/subtle things too.

h_double fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 1, 2012

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
What compressors do you guys use? I'm not thrilled with the ones I've tried, looking for something new.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

cat doter posted:

What compressors do you guys use? I'm not thrilled with the ones I've tried, looking for something new.
What have you tried? What is the application i.e. vocals, guitar, general? Are you looking for a clean or color compressor?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hogscraper posted:

What have you tried? What is the application i.e. vocals, guitar, general? Are you looking for a clean or color compressor?

I'm poor as gently caress so I usually just use the cockos stuff or the free stuff from kvraudio. The 'classic compressor' I got from kvr is ok, but I'd like a nice colour compressor for vocals, maybe something that isn't so harsh if you'll pardon the oxymoron.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

cat doter posted:

I'd like a nice colour compressor for vocals, maybe something that isn't so harsh if you'll pardon the oxymoron.
I'll go out on a limb and say you'd like something with a character close to an LA-2A. A quick search found these two plugins. I haven't tried them myself but others seem to dig 'em. Try them out and see if you like the sound.

Antress Modern Angel: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9629869/FullPack4950.zip
Tin Brooke Tales TLs-2095-LA: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/archive/files/TLs-2095-LA_v1-1.zip

The Antress Modern Angel is part of a whole suite of free plugins. The Modern Seventh Sign might also be of some interest to you because it's modeling another classic color compressor, the 1176. It's a bit more aggressive sounding though. But it's great for really fast peak-y stuff. Really fast acting.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

cat doter posted:

I'm poor as gently caress so I usually just use the cockos stuff or the free stuff from kvraudio. The 'classic compressor' I got from kvr is ok, but I'd like a nice colour compressor for vocals, maybe something that isn't so harsh if you'll pardon the oxymoron.

Have you tried the reaper compressors at: http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

one is unlimited band and looks to be pretty awesome.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^^^ Whoops, missed some posts, especially the poor as gently caress part :blush:

cat doter posted:

I haven't got access to it anymore, but I was very fond of the compressor in the Waves SSL E-Channel plugin and the Waves Renaissance Compressor. Both had real character and basically you could put something in and it came out better.

This was some years ago, quality standards might have gone up since, I don't know.

EDIT: not exactly a compressor, but useful in adding character: Voxengo TubeAmp. In the same vein, JSMagneto -old, but featherlight and works like magic. It's hard to find on it's own, but it used to be included with Interruptor's Tape Delay. You can use these before or after a cleaner sounding compressor.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 6, 2012

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hogscraper posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say you'd like something with a character close to an LA-2A. A quick search found these two plugins. I haven't tried them myself but others seem to dig 'em. Try them out and see if you like the sound.

Antress Modern Angel: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9629869/FullPack4950.zip
Tin Brooke Tales TLs-2095-LA: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/archive/files/TLs-2095-LA_v1-1.zip

The Antress Modern Angel is part of a whole suite of free plugins. The Modern Seventh Sign might also be of some interest to you because it's modeling another classic color compressor, the 1176. It's a bit more aggressive sounding though. But it's great for really fast peak-y stuff. Really fast acting.

Sounds cool man, grabbing them now. Onward to better mixes!

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if you've already tried digital fishphones stuff, but if you haven't try those out. Otherwise give these a shot and report back if they're any good: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

If you want to make a small investment, I've always been happy with the compressors that Stillwell put out. I think they're like $30 or something. It sounds like Major Tom would be right up your alley, but if it's the same price I'd be tempted to grab The Rocket cause it's more versatile and has that Decadence button... Ohhhhh the decadence button. (I think it's just oversampling mode.) Also, the Impetus control is something I wish every compressor had.

Actually consider this an endorsement for The Rocket. It's an all around good flavor compressor and it'll get gnarly as all hell. I think I could make do with just it and Mpressor.

EDIT - gently caress you guys are fast. I'm gonna dick around with those VoS plugins today and see if they're cool. Anybody have any experience with them?

muckswirler fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 6, 2012

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master
I'll endorse Major Tom. It's fantastic for bass/kick as well. Really, it's great and worth every penny. Pretty sure the Stillwell license entitles you to free upgrades for life as well. Those guys deserve your money!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well if the free stuff I'm trying out doesn't work so well, I'll just buy less food this fortnight and grab those instead. Who needs food! Food sucks!

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

cat doter posted:

Well if the free stuff I'm trying out doesn't work so well, I'll just buy less food this fortnight and grab those instead. Who needs food! Food sucks!
FYI, the demo versions never expire. However, you will love them enough to want to give them your money.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

God, I love trial versions that never expire. I've still yet to get my reaper commercial license. Which I will. Eventually.

edit: Well I'm in compressor overload atm (picked up a nice sounding tape delay/chorus thingo as well, sounds alright). To the experimentation cave!

cat doter fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 6, 2012

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Here's a free compressor that got a lot of love at Gearlsutz, http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/ I've been using it for a while.Plus its pretty.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Alright so I spent some quality time with a few of the plugins from the guys that I mentioned in a previous post: http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/ I think there's some good stuff here. I don't know if it's necessary the sound of the plugins or the controls specified and the layout, but a few of them are really nice. These are plugins with things you want/need and few parameters that you don't (although I grabbed the less busy looking ones). Setting them up was super fast. Although I found it easy to overdrive the meters on a few of them they still sounded silky and correct.

Baxter EQ - Seems smooth. The shelving filters sound good and I had no trouble dialing it on on a drum bus. As soon as I flipped it into m/s mode, I knew I'd like it. Immediately focused the kick and mated it to the bass. Totally gluey. Get it.

Density mkII - Tried it on backing vocal and drum bus. In both cases, it thickened things nicely with less gain reduction than I had imagined if the meters are to be believed. This is not SSL 4000 series compression. Think tube based program compressors or older Neve stuff? It's free and it works and it has m/s mode. Go for it.

FerricTDS - I love tape simulators and this is one of my favorite so far. Totally gonna grab the transformer emulator and give it a go. There's going to be a lot of decapitator>tape>trans in my future. If you like that sort of thing, it's worth grabbing.

NastyDLA - Sounds like a Lexicon Primetime without the weird LFO effects. Old and lovely and terribly lovely. It's seemingly free from the undulating craziness that those things tend to exhibit these days. I only played with it a little, but it seemed perfectly capable and just unpredictable enough.

These plugs are worth money. They are generally predictable and err on the side of warm and gentle (they don't get really 'digital'), kinda like the SoundToys stuff but free. Totally worth further investigation.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Anyone using FXpansion's Tremor? I've been having a lot of fun with it. The interface, especially the sequencer and modulation set up are pretty intuitive.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
For 8-bit sounds you need to have Magical 8-bit plugin. It's free, and it's probably the best NES-sound softsynth there is. It was designed by the programmer from YMCK, a jazzy chiptune band that's been going strong for about 10 years now. It's simple and it doesn't have a large palette of sounds, but it does what it does well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any awesome VSTs recommended for crazy-weird sound design? Obviously, you can get a lot of sounds from any good synth, but I'm looking for ones (that hopefully have a trial/demo mode) that are specifically design for sound design.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any awesome VSTs recommended for crazy-weird sound design? Obviously, you can get a lot of sounds from any good synth, but I'm looking for ones (that hopefully have a trial/demo mode) that are specifically design for sound design.
I'm not sure what you mean by sound design specifically. Maybe there's a youtube link with the sort of sounds you're after?

If it's what I suspect, maybe Absynth is something to look at. You can create some terrifyingly weird ambiences with that, way into non-muscal territory.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by sound design specifically. Maybe there's a youtube link with the sort of sounds you're after?

If it's what I suspect, maybe Absynth is something to look at. You can create some terrifyingly weird ambiences with that, way into non-muscal territory.

Ah, sorry for being vague; I actually have Absynth (version 3) and you're absolutely right. I'm looking for both non-musical synths, as well as those that can take samples are REALLY change them around to something unrecognizable.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

I have found none better for severely loving up both samples and generated waveforms. (Or both, together)

It singlehandedly transformed me from a presetwhore to a sound designer!

Generous demo as well, give it a go.

edit: Dont be fooled by the soundlibrary - it can do so much more than traditional Romplers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAYMv5tpL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOYSZdGuUc

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 26, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah, sorry for being vague; I actually have Absynth (version 3) and you're absolutely right. I'm looking for both non-musical synths, as well as those that can take samples are REALLY change them around to something unrecognizable.
Crystal seems to have possibilities in that direction. With the caveat that samples you want to use need to be enclosed in a SF2 Soundfont, I think. The links to the extra soundbanks were down last time I tried, so I haven't had the chance to test it extensively (links seem to be up now, so that's going to change soon :)). As it's free, it's worth a try for what's included in the primary download anyway.

ShortCircuit of ShortCircuit² is a multitimbral sampler with extensive routing capabilities and built in effects (like Kontakt, but free, I guess), you could get some mileage out of that if you know what you're doing. It's poorly documented though, as it's a discontinued product.

I'm going to take a look at the BR808 now, which might be in line with what you're looking for too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Alchemy

Holy poo poo, this! What's sad is that I've already seen those Jim Stout videos, but had totally forgotten. Thanks!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Yeah its what I reach for EVERY TIME I want something unique. with 16 LFO's/ADSR/Sequencers etc its hard to run out of options.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

:psyboom: Holy loving poo poo, this thing! BR808! Despite the naming scheme, not a drum sampler/synthesizer.

After an hour with this, I'm ready to toss all my other vsti's out. It's got a million options for everything. It has no presets or help file as far as I could find out, you're completely thrown in the deep end.

Full samples (not single cycle samples) as oscillators! Or some of the more classic waveforms. Or Mathematical stuff. Or analog emulation stuff. Phase modulation, ring modulation, amplitude modulation, additive synthesis, subtractive synthesis, FM, all sorts of filters, effects, routing, envelopes, lfos... A speech synthesizer, what the hell.

It took me a few minutes to get how it all works together. Couldn't get the samples going, deactivating the reverb muted the output... but then the whole tabbed interface clicked for me. Well, how it makes sense, I obviously haven't scratched the surface just yet.

I don't know how this compares in quality to other, perhaps paid for vsti's or hardware synths, but it sounds amazing to me. And, again, it's mindblowingly in depth, you could get lost in there for hours just trying all options once.

This is one of these instances where I don't get how this can be free. You could throw $2000 towards a hardware synthesizer that is more limited and less flexible than this.

Perhaps I'm overly enthousiastic again, but I haven't had a random find like this in years. I hadn't heard of it, never seen it recommended before. And it's definitely a lot better than most of, at the very least, the free vsti's that I have seen recommended and tried. Probably better than some paid ones as well, I'm guessing.

If you're struggling with the basics of synthesis, forget about it. If you deeply enjoy making sounds from scratch, you simply have got to try this. And don't be fooled by the demo tracks on the website, you can gently caress sounds up beyond belief as well. In fact, don't listen to them at all and get some hands on experience.

Well, anyway, strongly recommended, works for me.

EDIT It's a bit finnicky about what samples it works with and eats cpu cycles like there's no tomorrow. And obviously you can make poo poo sounds with it too, if you don't put in the work. Still like it a lot though.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 26, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lump Shaker posted:

Anyone using FXpansion's Tremor? I've been having a lot of fun with it. The interface, especially the sequencer and modulation set up are pretty intuitive.

I like Tremor a lot but holy poo poo it is a CPU hog.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

I like Tremor a lot but holy poo poo it is a CPU hog.

This.
I loved it, and it popped up (at 50% even!) right when I was looking for a VST drumsynth. Unfortunately, my CPU couldn't handle it (Core 2 Quad, from around 2006-ish) so I ended up not buying it after all. Once I can scrape up enough money I'm buying a new CPU, and after that I'm definitely getting Tremor! Like Synth Squad (my favourite synths ever), it's easy to use, powerful and sounds absolutely great!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Your Computer posted:

This.
I loved it, and it popped up (at 50% even!) right when I was looking for a VST drumsynth. Unfortunately, my CPU couldn't handle it (Core 2 Quad, from around 2006-ish) so I ended up not buying it after all. Once I can scrape up enough money I'm buying a new CPU, and after that I'm definitely getting Tremor! Like Synth Squad (my favourite synths ever), it's easy to use, powerful and sounds absolutely great!

Fxpansion is awesome. I can write a book about how much BFD2 rocks (which by the way is on sale for $140 right now, if anyone needs a drum plugin get this)

Synth Squad is going to be my next fxpansion purchase, I loved the demo. I think the only thing from them I didn't like is Etch, it just didn't make any sense to me when I tried it out.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I bought U-He Diva!

Have used it in a few releases already, still trying to figure it out somewhat. Holy poo poo does it ever eat CPU!

It does sound very very nice though - it can be both very juno'ish or moog'ish. Will report back in a few weeks when I've learned it a little better.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What's a good cheap synth for making the kind of rounded plucks that are so common in progressive house? Sylenth makes some really good sounds but it's a bit on the pricey end.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
synth1?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Never was able to get it to work on OS X

iloveyouall
Oct 26, 2007
Any synth. The rounded pluck your after has more to do with amp and filter envelope settings. I have created that sound with Massive, Thor, Absynth, ES-2, ESM, Alchemy, Diva and various others. Stick with one synth and learn how to use it. I know its hard with all the awesome vst's floating around but they all serve similar purposes.
For massive, start with a new sound and use the modulation envelope 4 which is already assigned to the amp. Open a low pass filter (probably 4 pole, but of course up to you) and assign mod envelope 4 to the filter as well. Lower the attack, sustain and release all the way, and slowly bring up the decay.

iloveyouall fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 31, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Do you have AIM by any chance? And I mostly stick to Massive, I play around in others a bit but Massive is awesomely powerful and I want to learn it first.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Do you have AIM by any chance? And I mostly stick to Massive, I play around in others a bit but Massive is awesomely powerful and I want to learn it first.

Perhaps we could say that the list of sounds it can make is ........... massive???

fake edit: please don't ban me

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Or you guys can join the musicians lounge IRC and we'll figure that poo poo out. A lot of us there use massive. :colbert:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471540

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had these Korg legacy VSTs for some time now:

Polysix, MS-20 and Wavestation.
Their interfaces are terrible (and too small for me, I have problems reading what's on the knobs), but they sound good. My question is this: are they proper recreations or their physical counterparts?
The Wavestation in particular caught my attention because it's so unlike the other synths I have used. Are there any good resources on these synths? Also looking for opinions on the VSTs themselves.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If anyone's looking for a good retro synth sound, I highly recommend stopping by GForce Software's site. Years ago, I got their Future Retro Pack, which included the ImpOscar, M-Tron, Oddity and MiniMonstah plugins, and use them constantly. Both the ImpOscar and M-Tron have seen updates since the pack came out, and I'm wondering if I'd enjoy them even more now, but holy poo poo, are these synths worth it anyway. Oddity is great for weird sounds, M-Tron actually beats it's real-life counterpart, the Mellotron, as it doesn't warp, and is easily expandable.

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/

Check these out, for sure. Though, I'd be surprised if many of you didn't already know about them. Just wanted to chime in to say how great they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

My question is this: are they proper recreations or their physical counterparts?
The Wavestation in particular caught my attention because it's so unlike the other synths I have used. Are there any good resources on these synths? Also looking for opinions on the VSTs themselves.

I used to own a Polysix so, bare in mind, that the following statement is based off of my own fairly unreliable memory: The Polysix in the Legacy Collection, sounds -a lot- like a Polysix. That synth has a fairly distinctive filter to it and, except for the inevitable zipper noise from using controls that operate in discreet steps, it's captured really well in the software. I don't really know how low level they went went simulating the hardware, but they faked the sound pretty drat well.

Wavestation is basically sample playback, other than the DACs there isn't any unique circuitry to try to emulate. In theory it can be emulated the same on any hardware it's instantiated on that's fast enough to run it, same with the M1.