Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have no experience with any of the products you mention, but there seems to be no harm in trying Magnus' Ambience until you have scraped the dough together for something better. It's the best free algorithmic reverb I've found so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Any of the Valhalla reverbs is as good if not better than Aether with a far better UI. You can buy all 3 of them for less than the price of Aether, and they cover quite a lot of ground.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Aether is great and if you don't mind tweaky plugins you would not regret buying it, but if I had nothing and was going to buy a reverb or two today, I'd get vahallaroom and vahallavintageverb.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I saw a lot of deserved pimping in this thread for Alchemy, but I'd like to add CamelPhat and CamelSpace as two great little plug-ins from CamelAudio. I have FXpansion's Etch and Maul, too, but the CamelAudio plugins have more presets and are just easier to mess around with and get interesting results quickly, in my opinion.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
valhallaroom 4 lyfe.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
edit: gently caress, beaten like 5 times

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Also, AudioDamage's EOS was written by Sean of Valhalla. Great verb, not based on or using any of the same algorithms in the Valhall verb. I'd say that it's somewhere in between Room and Shimmer with an interesting UI(such is AudioDamage).

ValhallaVintageVerb is my new favorite, although Room is probably the most utilitarian.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Some Komplete 9 Ultimate observations:

• It took around 3 hours 10 minutes to install the K8U -> K9U upgrade on my system.
  • Before the upgrade, my samples/library drive had 257GB of content. After the install was complete, the drive had 309GB of content, so Komplete 9 Ultimate includes 52GB of additional library content alone. I did not do before/afters on my system/apps drive.
  • I first attempted the upgrade on my original 500GB samples/library drive. When I attempted the setup, that drive had around 220GB available according to Windows- The Komplete 9 installer said that disk space was insufficient by about 10GB and would not let me install, even though at the end of the day it only increased my content library by 52GB. I presume this is because it doesn't take the fact that there were many redundant packages already installed into account.
  • Anticipating this, I had already bought a 2TB replacement drive. I did a robocopy of my library drive onto the replacement, swapped the old drive out, and was able to perform the upgrade using the new drive. The takeaway here is that you'll need at least 230GB free space on your library drive just to perform the K9U setup, even if it doesn't end up needing all that space once all is said and done.
  • Service Center reported that there were updates to these products waiting for me once I registered my K9U: Berlin Concert Grand, Upright Piano, and Vienna Concert Grand. The dates on these updates are all in 2011 and 2012... don't know why K9U didn't install the latest versions.
  • As has been mentioned on other forums, the Reverb Classics plugins weren't installed, even though they're featured on the K9U box art... I'll probably get a download email from NI in a couple days.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I'm already dreading the K8 regular to K9 regular upgrade because I also need a new computer and gently caress doing everything twice.

K8 regular to K9U is a bit too rich for my blood :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

Thanks. I'm already dreading the K8 regular to K9 regular upgrade because I also need a new computer and gently caress doing everything twice.

K8 regular to K9U is a bit too rich for my blood :(

I've got K8U, but I already bought session horns as well so I don't see enough reason to upgrade. If they do a half-off upgrade sale someday I may do it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

The Battery 4 UI is beautiful. The waveforms have an almost hand-drawn look to them. It's hard to describe. I captured a video of what they look like. Best seen if you pick 480p quality and the "Large player" option (but not full-screen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFt5brELhY

The video shows one of my homemade frankenstein kits that I made on Battery 3, but updated in Battery 4 so that the colors indicate which outputs a given cell is using (I pump kicks, snares, and claps out to their own outs).

EDIT: I guess "painted" is more accurate than "hand-drawn."

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 28, 2013

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Battery 4 is the reason I want to upgrade. Battery is the only program I consistently use from Komplete - in fact I bought it standalone before I ever bought Komplete.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I bought Komplete 8 but have barely had time to scratch the surface. Is it worth doing the upgrade right now, just for Battery and Monark?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

shoplifter posted:

I bought Komplete 8 but have barely had time to scratch the surface. Is it worth doing the upgrade right now, just for Battery and Monark?
I think the argument for K8U->K9U is stronger than standard K8->K9. I love the look of the new Battery, but I personally am not sure I'll need any of the new features. I already use Battery 3 in every single project, and have never found it lacking anything but a sample record feature (which B4 still doesn't have).

Monark truly does sound great; messed with it a bit last night. Consensus I'm hearing is that it's better sounding than some of the other minimoog emulations, but if you already have one, not sure it's worth the price. And really, I don't have much use for monophonic anything.

Would be nice if NI had thrown a few of their new effects in with the standard K9... it would be a must-buy then.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if they've improved the interface for variable hi hat controllers in Battery 4? It's doable (and fairly flexible) in Battery 3, but the interface is clunky as poo poo. I'd really like to have all of the flexibility but with a simpler interface - something like BFD 2 on the surface, but with the ability to get into deeper editing when you need it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Jesus gently caress. Dave Gamble just upped the ante on the EQ front.

10 minutes with the demo and I am blown away. You get a really nice discount if you own Equality and log in as well.

I actually got really excited, over an EQ. What the gently caress is wrong with me...

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Holy poo poo I've been looking for something like that. Holy poo poo 150 loving pounds.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
yeah but you get to be all smug and superior to everyone else who does not have one. how can you put a price on that?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Last time I played that game I ended up with a TB-303.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Sounds like that was a winner, so might as well continue on.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Also guys I almost forgot.. did you check out the drop yet?

same dude who made the glue

do I really need to say anything else

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Give me three stepped bands and two fixed filters then crank the mojo factor. Keep the other two bands for ya momma.

For serious though, those both look really nice. The Sonoris one looks great too and potentially more useful with linearity selectable on a per band basis. Suddenly EQs!

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Also guys I almost forgot.. did you check out the drop yet?

same dude who made the glue

do I really need to say anything else

Haha, now plug-ins are jumping on the "our software isn't done, but we're ready for you to pay full-price to beta test it!" model?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Thats not full price. People are paying, by the hundreds.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I don't doubt people are paying, but I think it's pretty silly to buy a beta of something you're going to need to work in real time, where a memory leak or whatever is going to make it unusable in a session. You're probably right about the eventual price, but there's nothing on that page to indicate paying now has any benefits other than getting access to the beta now.

edit: If you want to give the company money because you trust them and like their other products, more power to both of you. I'm just amused that people would pay for unfinished audio software when the consequences of it not working perfectly are often not being able to use it for what you bought it for. It's not really the same thing as paying for beta access to a game, IMO it's more like paying to beta test a firewall or antivirus. My audio hardware and software purchases are informed as much by reliability as by how something sounds, I wouldn't buy a plug-in I wasn't sure I could run for 5 hours straight when I wanted to, and I wouldn't buy an LA-2A hardware unit listed as "works mostly" either (although at least with that purchase I could open it and try to fix it myself).

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 1, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Well... It works. I dont understand why you're complaining. The Glue went through exactly the same process - as did many others. Not only are they paying for a beta, they are actually helping him hunt down bugs. Imagine that.

edit: Did some research, the framework as you see is up, running and stable. As the beta is seeded he is busy building new filtermodels and adding them on the fly. Next up I believe is the SH-101 filter.

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 1, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Oh man, u-he Diva is roaming into Virus/Massive territory. I know Diva's supposedly a VA powerhouse, but I am seriously daunted by the UI and options.

But with these planned updates... Diva's going to be an absolute monster.

Anyone here use it? I am all about VA, but like I said... I'm kind of terrified by this thing.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I've used it almost exclusively for 6 months now or so - and it is BY FAR the best instrument purchase I have ever done. It is splattered all over my tracks.

But I must say I find it strange you seem overwhelmed by it. Me an my producer friends always say we love it because a) it sounds better than anything else for what it does and b) the UI is simple and clear.

I saw that newsitem and was very excited as well.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any love for synthedit? I love being able to make a synth exactly to the specs I want, or just some stupid one off thing for a wierd noise. I use a bunch of crap I've made it in regularly:

This is my simple sine bass plugin, just an amp adsr and a pitch one (with some special toggles).

This is a pulse wave synth with a variable fm oscillator, with envelopes for pitch, pulsemod, filter and fm. Makes some unique noises on top of regular va duties. I don't use this so much anymore, as I've replaced it with...

Still a work in progress obviously, but I've used the wip versions on so many tracks it sticks around. It's probably finished enough except for making it look ok. It's your regular virtual analog with loads of voices, modulation sources, variable filters and extensive fm options.

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 2, 2013

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

But I must say I find it strange you seem overwhelmed by it. Me an my producer friends always say we love it because a) it sounds better than anything else for what it does and b) the UI is simple and clear.
It's the fact that it seems so customizable; don't you select different oscillator and filter views based on what you're trying to emulate? It's a handsome UI, but I'm just afraid I'd get lost in all the options.

But... I'm almost certainly going to get over my apprehensions and snag that plugin when the update comes out.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Synthedit is awesome and you're awesome for building stuff with it.

Paid beta audio software is stupid as hell. It's not like there aren't a million other options that are just as good for the same price or less. Also they're finished and stable. When a recent patch note is 'fixed multiple instances causing crash', it doesn't inspire confidence. Actual tools need to work 100% of the time no questions asked. I'd rather use stock DAW plugins that I know are going to work than risk the vibe of a session by using something that's untested. You can't get vibe back.

It depends on how you use your rig and if people other than you depend on its stability, but why not either just buy something else that's complete or just wait?

Also, they integrated 'the glue' into Live. Ugh. It doesn't sound ANYTHING like a G or E series and it's grainy as heck. Please do not use it. Thanks.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

muckswirler posted:

Synthedit is awesome and you're awesome for building stuff with it.

Paid beta audio software is stupid as hell. It's not like there aren't a million other options that are just as good for the same price or less. Also they're finished and stable. When a recent patch note is 'fixed multiple instances causing crash', it doesn't inspire confidence. Actual tools need to work 100% of the time no questions asked. I'd rather use stock DAW plugins that I know are going to work than risk the vibe of a session by using something that's untested. You can't get vibe back.

It depends on how you use your rig and if people other than you depend on its stability, but why not either just buy something else that's complete or just wait?

Also, they integrated 'the glue' into Live. Ugh. It doesn't sound ANYTHING like a G or E series and it's grainy as heck. Please do not use it. Thanks.

Artifacts? really? Did you compare the normal version with the same material? How hard are you hitting it? To me it feels sketchy beyond -4-5 so I try to deploy a few of them doing different things on my drumbus. I will say that its not seen much use since the big breakthroughs in nebula compression in the last 6 months.

Is this thread ready for Nebula realtalk??

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

field balm posted:

Any love for synthedit? I love being able to make a synth exactly to the specs I want, or just some stupid one off thing for a wierd noise. I use a bunch of crap I've made it in regularly:

I do a similar kind of thing, except I've been using Reaktor. Although, I usually don't end up using whatever I make, more just experimenting with what I can do.

How is synthedit anyways? I've never used it before.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Artifacts? really? Did you compare the normal version with the same material? How hard are you hitting it? To me it feels sketchy beyond -4-5 so I try to deploy a few of them doing different things on my drumbus. I will say that its not seen much use since the big breakthroughs in nebula compression in the last 6 months.

Is this thread ready for Nebula realtalk??

I'm familiar enough with quad compressors that I can mentally apply the compression character to anything I hear whenever. I have beaten/monitored so much material through those things it isn't even funny. There's a sweet spot on the hardware that sounds really nice. Also, I was taught to never makeup gain on it. That's harder to do in the box and could be the issue that I have with the plugin.

It's one of those plugins that just makes me go ewwwwwwww and it doesn't really fit my workflow. I look to a 4000 series compressor for a few very, very specific things. IMO that plugin doesn't do those things and there are other plugins that do what it claims to do better. On drum busses I'm usually looking for distortion and/or funk not more bite or whatever ESPECIALLY ITB. Hope that makes sense.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone of you clowns use Sugar Bytes WOW and have a strong opinion about it one way or another? Thinking about picking it up--currently using Live's filter.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Yeah I've never gotten that to work (no makeup) - I know its supposedly THE WAY to do it, but it could be like you said. Hard to do with ITB. I'll experiment some more with the nebula things though. They add a fair amount of saturation. this has alot of promise. Fat as all hell.

Suppose it could depend on the material, what you want from it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I bought DIVA at a discount as a paid beta. I don't think my IQ dropped any points because I did so. In fact I didn't even use it for months anyway because I was waiting for the 64-bit version. So I got a synth I wanted from a company whose quality I trusted - at a discount.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Didn't this thread start as a spin-off of the "VST or V$T?" thread, where it took 2 pages to convince most of ML that it was worth it to pay any money at all for any VST? A year later the general opinion is it's perfectly normal to pay money for a beta of a VST, and people are cool with not being able to use their new toy in all their projects for a few months?

Never underestimate the power of marketing I guess?

e: \/\/ - Right, I get that if you know you're going to buy everything a company makes, you might not bat an eye (but it's still potentially money you can't use for stuff you need right now). Wouldn't it make more sense if the companies put out some kind of subscription or bundle price for those kinds of customers, instead of pay as you go beta to final, plugin by plugin? The way most of the established plug-in companies do it?

Soundtoys for instance has open betas for the 64bit versions of their plug-ins right now. They aren't selling access to them, anyone who owns any of their bundles gets to help them beta test them for free by virtue of already being customers. That kind of setup seems way more legit to me, and rewards loyal customers better, IMO.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 3, 2013

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Eh, I mean I get the attitude if a company has a habit of putting out great stuff. U-He isn't exactly a gamble when it comes to quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Spitfire Audio does the same thing-- if you buy v 1.0 of any of their libraries it's effectively a beta because you know that 1.1 is coming in ~1 month. This is actually to your advantage because you get to email them and complain about stuff and then that's what goes into the 1.1 and 1.2 updates, as well as the discounts (typically a 30% off coupon for future purchase).

I have no problem doing this but as the poster above notes related to U-he it's only for companies with a good track record for putting out excellent product and listening to customer feedback.

I've been rolling over Spitfire discount coupons for a year now. Every time they come out with a new product I buy it early and use the coupon code from the last one for further discount. :-)

Now here's a deal: $15 for Tronto analog synth. Today's the last day: http://www.vstbuzz.com/

Note: VCO is included with Tronto but is actually available for free as an Easter promotion on KVR: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378151

I bought this and it's one of the best values I've got for $15 in a while.