Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

snorch posted:

Cockos ReaPlugs ~ Free as in beer
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

If you don't already use REAPER, you'll want these in your arsenal. It's a collection of simplistic yet powerful and versatile plugins that are very light on CPU load.

ReaComp is a compressor with tons of condigurability and sidechaining support. It is hailed by some as one of the most transparent compressors out there.
ReaEQ is a no-bullshit IIR EQ that supports an unlimited amount of bands.
ReaFIR is an FFT dynamics processor/linear phase surgical EQ, great for noise suppression or mastering.
ReaJS offers you the ability to do whatever the hell you want to the incoming audio and MIDI using the JS scripting language. There are already hundreds of JS effects bundled with the plugin, including some written by Stillwell that clone his VST functionality to some degree. Be sure to check out the floaty delay (a delay that constantly varies speed and has a fattening effect on everything it touches), the presence EQ, the various compressors and limiters, and also the tons of simple utilities. A comprehensive list can be found here.

Then there's the noise gate, delay, network streamer and multiband compressor. I'm not sure if the vocoder, pitch shifter and autotune clone are included in the package, but they are bundled with REAPER.

Some of these VSTs are a bit hit and miss, but for the price (NOTHING) the ones that are great are surprisingly great. I use the EQ on everything and the reverb is surprisingly versatile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

What compressors do you guys use? I'm not thrilled with the ones I've tried, looking for something new.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hogscraper posted:

What have you tried? What is the application i.e. vocals, guitar, general? Are you looking for a clean or color compressor?

I'm poor as gently caress so I usually just use the cockos stuff or the free stuff from kvraudio. The 'classic compressor' I got from kvr is ok, but I'd like a nice colour compressor for vocals, maybe something that isn't so harsh if you'll pardon the oxymoron.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Hogscraper posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say you'd like something with a character close to an LA-2A. A quick search found these two plugins. I haven't tried them myself but others seem to dig 'em. Try them out and see if you like the sound.

Antress Modern Angel: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9629869/FullPack4950.zip
Tin Brooke Tales TLs-2095-LA: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/archive/files/TLs-2095-LA_v1-1.zip

The Antress Modern Angel is part of a whole suite of free plugins. The Modern Seventh Sign might also be of some interest to you because it's modeling another classic color compressor, the 1176. It's a bit more aggressive sounding though. But it's great for really fast peak-y stuff. Really fast acting.

Sounds cool man, grabbing them now. Onward to better mixes!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well if the free stuff I'm trying out doesn't work so well, I'll just buy less food this fortnight and grab those instead. Who needs food! Food sucks!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

God, I love trial versions that never expire. I've still yet to get my reaper commercial license. Which I will. Eventually.

edit: Well I'm in compressor overload atm (picked up a nice sounding tape delay/chorus thingo as well, sounds alright). To the experimentation cave!

cat doter fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 6, 2012

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

What's the best violin/strings VSTi that I can get without paying anything because I literally have no money? I've been using DSK stuff and virtuoso has a lot of great sounds but I think the strings are lacking. I've tried a bunch of other stuff but they all sound like they were made in 1998 and I can help the sound a bit with some nice reverbs but it still sounds kinda crappy and cheap. I've been working on remixing some old video game music to sound modern but I find it kinda funny how a lot of my string sounds actually sound really similar to stuff I'm trying to improve.

I was planning on adding in one violin at a time to the track and panning them out like an orchestra layout and making very very slight pitch modulation on each violin to make it sound more realistic but reaper just keeps crashing. Either the DSK VSTis are unstable or I dunno what, my PC is more than powerful enough to push that much stuff.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well hopefully it does, because the free version is all I have. Thanks though, maybe samples, even free ones, will work out much better than some lovely synth sound alikes.

Speaking of Kontakt, I have the free version but while I'm using it sometimes whatever I have docked becomes disabled/blacked out with a button that says demo expired. It's not the demo version, but the free version, and I have to restart reaper to fix it. I've gotten around it a lot by enabling whatever instrument/settings I like and rendering out that track so I don't have to worry about kontakt randomly disabling it, but obviously this is far from ideal. Anyone know what the deal is?

edit: welp, doesn't work with free kontakt. Oh well.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 18, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Radiapathy posted:

I believe it's Kontakt Player's unlicensed third-party limitation kicking in.

Kontakt Player is only intended to support Native Instruments-licensed Kontakt Instruments. Any third-party instrument that isn't "Powered by Kontakt" certified is subject to demo restrictions.

It can't be that, I'm not using any 3rd party plugins with it. It just does it randomly.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

muckswirler posted:

In order for an instrument to be fully compatible with the free Kontakt player, the company has to pay for a license from NI. That's why so many random instruments only work in the full version. In other words it's pretty loving stupid.

Well that makes sense, but I'm just using the plugins that came with the free version, the free instrument pack or whatever. Shouldn't they just work?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sorry for the double post, but I've got another dumb VSTi problem. I'm using DSK virtuoso and I've run into a problem getting it to output correctly. All my other VST/is I've set up work fine, but virtuoso doesn't output. I set the midi channel to whatever track the VSTi is sitting in and that only works sometimes, other times I set the midi channel to all and that mostly works, but now virtuso has stopped working entirely and no matter what setting I change they just don't output. I should note virtuoso stopped working after a crash.

I'm using the latest version of x64 reaper if that helps.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

There's probably a billion of these out there, but I've consigned myself to the fact that I don't have the setup to record my drumkit, so rather than try and cover for that limitation with fakish sounding sampled drumkit VSTis, I'd rather lean into the limitation and do something with it. So basically I'm after the fakest sounding synth drums u got. Maybe something a little similar to what's used on this album http://disasterpeace.com/album/rise-of-the-obsidian-interstellar but a little less...bloopy, if that makes any sense? I'm not looking to make video game music but I'm researching/figuring out going a lot more electronic.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I grabbed ProtoPSG and Drumatic 3 but will have to wait until tomorrow to check them out since it's hella late. Even if ProtoPSG isn't specifically for drums, the more synths I have the better.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone know of a free VST that sounds similar (but better quality, obviously) to the one in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk

I've been looking around the net all day but can't seem to find anything that sounds right.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Sorry, I'm stupid, I meant the organ specifically. I quite like how it sounds and I'd like to replicate it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

So maybe this a little vague, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm after. I'm looking for an electronic drum sound that gels well with actual guitars and poo poo, I'm not necessarily making electronica but I'm using electronic stuff for colour mostly. I've got EZdrummer but I find it sounds a little fake and I kind of want to lean into the fact I'm working with fake poo poo rather than convincingly fake. I've got some electronic drums, mostly the free kouji tajima stuff but I'm looking for something that kinda bridges the gap between full on electronic and acoustic.

Or maybe there's an easier way to do this, maybe something that I can put over EZdrummer to dirty it up? Who knows, hopefully you guys get what I mean.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Scatterfold posted:

Could you provide some youtube links or similar with audio examples (of other artists' work)? That would help loads.

I would if I knew what I was after! I tried EZdrummer and my electronic drum VSTs and decided neither really fit, I just kept thinking "something in between these 2 would probably work" but yeah, it's a difficult problem. I've been playing around with overdrive and bitcrushers too on top of EZdrummer and that didn't really get the desired result either.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I tend to humanise and vary the velocity of notes and add room sound and all that junk, I can get it very convincing but fake is still fake. The tone is what matters most to me though, at the moment 95% of the way there isn't what I want, and if I can get something tonally interesting out of electronic drums instead then I'll go there 100% of the time. Thanks for the advice though, I'll have to check everything out tomorrow when I have some time. I might go the layering route, that'll probably produce some interesting results.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Am I the only one that loving hates using kontakt? I use it a lot since there's a ton of cool stuff made for it but I'd rather just add a VSTi to a track and have it go rather than dealing with their dumb wrapper. It has a lot of weird issues that I have to work around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't gotten into making my own stuff with kontakt so I suspect I might hate it less then, it's just that I'll get weird poo poo like a note ringing out forever and I'll spend 10 minutes trying to figure out what broke this time.