Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish I had chosen the Kontakt version of Kirk Hunter's orchestral collection years ago. EXS24 does the trick, but drat, can it be clunky sometimes.

Maybe I have to just become one with the EXS...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone here use Omnisphere? From what I'm seeing, it feels like it'd be that one 'synth that really does it all'. Thoughts?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I admit it's great, from what I've used of it, but be careful with using it for game sound design. The EULA is weirdly restrictive about only using Omnisphere for "musical works".

Yeah, I learned about this today. What the gently caress is that all about?! And really... if you designed something from scratch, who's going to know?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Waves are offering a free copy of TrueVerb for Black Friday (but also today).

http://www.waves.com/lpn/black-friday-2015/free-plugin

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just FYI, if you're running anything older than, I think, OSX 10.10, you're poo poo out of luck for TrueVerb. Waves Central (because OF COURSE THERE'S SOMETHING LIKE THIS) doesn't work on older OS's. :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

h_double posted:

"but honey, I thought that sideband compression was something we could do *together*."

I'd decimate her EQ'd signal :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

And if my experiences with Cakewalk are any indicator, their response will inevitably be "it's your fault/we don't care/buy our next thing/gently caress you".

I used Sonar X1 for almost 3 years and hated every minute of it :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I used various iterations of Sonar for probably ten years. There were bits of it I liked, but there were problems with the software that literally went unfixed for that entire ten years while they released a new version every year that was essentially the old version with a new skin on it. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I installed a paid update that broke Quicktime support...when I was halfway through a project where I was scoring a video that was in Quicktime format. When I called them and said "hey I just paid you for an update that broke your poo poo, what do I do?", their answer was "Convert your video to another format, that's not our problem. We might get that fixed in the next full release or we might not."

I wasn't kidding, the answer to "I just paid you to break my poo poo" was pretty much "it's your fault/we don't care/buy our next thing/gently caress you".

I'm REALLY thankful that, in my last job, I also had Reason 6 and an actual, honest-to-god commercial license for Reaper, that I suggested the company get. Once they did, it was like 'Welp, gently caress YOU, Sonar!!'. We had been using it for years (and the other composer/sound designer still was, since he didn't mind it), so we had a few templates set up through it that would work with our hardware (we produced slot machine games and the actual machines, too), but I was able to replicate all of those templates through Reaper in less than a day.

ALSO, there was this weird bug that Sonar was putting out when you would have a multichannel wav file that, if it had silence on any one of the tracks, then all of the tracks would get screwed up when it was converted to .ogg with another program (because Sonar didn't support .ogg export).

Reaper handled everything about that with ease :smug: :toot:

EDIT: Oh my god, I just remembered midi editing with Sonar, and it feels like a painful war memory.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 14, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I haven't messed with that side of it at all. Truth is I probably use 1/10 of what it (or any DAW) is capable of, because I mainly just plug in a guitar, mic, or keyboard and hit "record". I mean I do a bunch of really complicated songs with a zillion instruments and whatnot, but I do almost all of it in the DAW itself instead of in the controller.

This is like me, except I keep not messing with all of the features that Logic Pro (9) has. In fact, just the other day, for the first time ever, I made a drum beat a groove template, and then used flex time to time up the guitar to it. I was doing a quick thing for Fiverr, and let me tell you: doing work for someone you don't know really lights a fire under your rear end to explore poo poo like this, in order to get stuff done ASAP.

I need to know more Logic tips, I've been using it since around 2007, and while I can easily get work done, features like Flex time just blow me away. It was there the whole goddamned time! (since Logic 9) :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I figure some people (all people?) here would be interested in this: http://brightsparks.movie/

Synth documentary, looks (and sounds) excellent, from the trailer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have to echo the recommendation for Amplitube. I have v3, and love every single bit of it. I seriously use it all the time, and while my playing is sloppy and not good at all, and my pickups hum a lot, it all still sounds great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I think I need Kontakt explained to me, or at least I need my very basic questions answered...

Let's say I want to buy something like Orbit by Wide Blue Sound. Now, I own nothing Kontakt-related. Would this come with the Kontakt player? What are my options if I wanted to 'buy' Kontakt, and what are the feature differences between paid and free Kontakt? I should mention that I'm familiar with the EXS24, even from back in Logic Pro 7, when there was the 'player' in Logic Express, and the 'pro sampler' in Logic Pro. Is that basically the same thing going on here?

I have no idea why I've never really bothered with Kontakt, but I feel like I should have gotten into using it, years ago.

EDIT: Welp, nevermind, this handy feature comparison chart pretty much spells it out.

Anyway, Orbit sounds reallllly nice :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 4, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you want to buy Kontakt and Reaktor and say, Massive or something, getting Komplete is cheaper.

You know, I never really looked into this before, and I just did.

:stare: :stare:

Brothers... I have seen the light. I have no idea when I'll be able to, but this right here is definitely my next musical purchase. No question.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

NI loves you for doing this because all the new fancy poo poo they offer each year with Komplete means you're paying them another 200 bucks (or 400 if you have Komplete Ultimate) just for the privilege of having things up to date. It gets worse in the sense that inbetween they're rolling out new stuff which may or may not end up in the next version of Komplete (while Reaktor 6 is a pretty safe bet, some sample libraries will only be in Ultimate) which you also want to have.

That's why I just wait until the new version rolls around, then I wait for the big Summer/Christmas/Black Friday Everything 50% Off Sale and then buy an update, but I agree that's sort of like saying meth isn't that bad because at least you aren't mainlining krokodil into your eyeballs.

I do get what you're saying, but I'm actually fairly proud of myself for being able to resist the incredible urge to spend on newer gear/synths.

I mean, poo poo, I would LOVE Logic Studio X, but so far, 9 is working out perfectly for me, has been for years. If/when I get Komplete, I'll be discovering new sounds in that for years and years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I hesitated to buy Komplete at first, but eventually caved. The next time upgrades rolled around I went to Ultimate because I found that I was using ten different things from Komplete on literally every track. I've been using KU stuff for maybe five/six years now, and I'm still learning what bits of it do. While the price may be a bit daunting at first, it is one of the best musical purhchases I've ever made.

I love this. I'd be similar, learning new things every now and then, and always using it in whatever I do. I'm just kind of glad that I have a definitely 'next purchase' plan. It was up in the air before, but this is definitely it now. I mean, I actually already have Addictive Drums 2, and Amplitube 3 (before they added in microtransactions and additions), and I'd still love to have Guitar Rig and Battery alongside them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm running OS X 10.8 (or maybe it's 10.7), my Firestudio 2626 is working perfectly fine, but it's not officially supported on the latest OS's, so I can't really upgrade my audio partition on my mac. And guess what installer isn't compatible with my current OS?

Thanks, Waves. True, I was mainly going to use it for that free plugin they offered months ago, but at least now I know that, as it stands, I can't buy anything of theirs unless I want to risk the OS upgrade. And since I'm actually making money off of my audio now, that's a no-go. Everything stays the same, for now.

I would sincerely consider ditching OS X for Win7 or something, if it wasn't for Logic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah I'm at 10.9 forever because my interface doesn't support anything past that. I only went up from 10.8 because the latest updates for Logic needed a newer OS and there was a lot of cool poo poo in that update.
Hoping they don't make me move another point release further anytime soon.

You have NO idea how much I want to be using Logic X. It's insane. I mean, I still have Camel Audio's original Alchemy, but... well, I don't think I need to explain to anyone here how much I'd rather be using it as a default, somewhat souped-up native Logic plugin :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

lol I posted a bad review on Waves' website due to their garbage copy protection and they deleted it. :-/

Same thing, I think, happened to Glenn Fricker when he poo poo on one of Mesa's products.

https://youtu.be/EGo9d2W7N-8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Incredible :allears: No one reads my twitter, but that deserves a retweet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I might be getting a sound design / composing / audio post production job in my office, and I'm really hoping they let me pick my software.

I'd love to be able to use the latest Komplete bundle :allears: Especially on someone else's dime!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i am very finicky about trying to balance multiple synths, so usually i try to convince myself i can do all the things my older plugins can do in my newer ones.

this might be fine if i had the patience to really learn a single piece of software, but...

I'm still telling myself I'll learn 100% of Alchemy one of these days :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 30, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

evacuate meatspace posted:

Can't vouch for this yet, but here's a $200 thing you can download for free using code UMPG-FREEDS until July 24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6HqUOW8EG4

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/digital-synsations.html

Motherfucker, WHY didn't I check this thread last week?! :argh: :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

25% dislikes so far, man people are really upset about software being upgraded these days

Well, an optional, paid upgrade to a plugin that I own is fine. In the same vein, I've now blocked iTunes from accessing the internet, since I use it for my SFX library handling (works pretty well!), and holy poo poo, do I not want that updated. It's working juuuuuuust fine as it is, but Apple just won't quit, trying to update my install so they can start cataloguing my files, and replacing/removing them. :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Friends don't let friends do this to themselves. http://www.icedaudio.com/site/

Oh.... oh my god.

:glomp: thank you SO much! It's actually be a few years since I gave up the search for a good audio library organizer/browser, and this looks like it'll be PERFECT. Holy poo poo :toot: I just thought that I'd never have Soundminer, so who cares, I'll just use iTunes, and that's that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Now if only they'd all collaborate so there was just the one dongle thing. And it was an optional free extra when you buy Komplete/an interface/usb noseflute that you can decline if you already have one.

Not the optimum solution (one dongle to rule them all would be the best, but... no thanks, iLok!), but wouldn't getting a usb extension JUST for dongles work best? That way, it doesn't require a ton of power, because I know that can get a bit tricky when adding USB ports. And you can save your original usb ports for other things.

Speaking of which, I'm actually running out of USB ports; what would be the best solution to add more? Is there an extender that is recommended over others? Like I said, I'd prefer that everything was plugged directly in to my mac, but that's not always the case. Devices include keyboard, mouse, webcam (though not absolutely necessary, nice for facetime, though), Keystation61e, and Korg Padkontrol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LordPants posted:

Getting all those Arturia synths worked out really well, I'm slowly falling in love with each vst. Most recently it's the Prophet and the way I can squeeze out all my favorite dorky Downward Spiral NIN bass tones and drum sounds. :allears:

Oh man, I love the sound of a Prophet :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Terribly sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't be the only one to just recently learn that Max/MSP has a subscription option, can I?

I'm tempted to try it out, but at the same time, I have next to no idea what I really could do with it. Which begs the question as to why I'm interested in it in the first place :confused:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thank you both for your input, it will definitely help with my creative output in the future.

Definitely going to check out Puredata first :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's everyone's impressions of Izotope's Iris 2? Is it incredible? I really want a good sampler synth for crazy and weird sound design, and it's relatively cheap.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

Its loving awesome, get it. A bit weird initially (you can use either master fx OR sends, not both) but will make sounds you've never heard before.

Fantastic, thanks! I've been looking around for Alchemy-like plugins, and so far, Iris 2 is the closest I've been able to find.

EDIT: Also, there are very few videos of people taking samples and really loving with them using Iris 2. There's one guy who does it to his guitar playing, but that's really all I can find. And enough with the 'dreamy pad sound' tutorials, jesus christ :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 15, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

The 'painting' is more refined that Alchemy which is nice. The various pitch modes it has are worth playing with. Its utterly replaced Absynth as my "weird texture generator". The female vocal noises you can coax are probably my favorite bit, feminine but not chipmunky. And some SAVAGE reese noises.

What do you mean by "reese" noises?

Man, I can't even wait to try out the demo, once I set up my home studio again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've been toying with the idea of doing a few youtube videos where I'd learn a particular synth/plugin along with the audience. Take your basic understandings of sound synthesis and then run the plugin through its paces, discovering new things along the way. Not a tutorial, but it would still help people learn it, hopefully.

Assuming I'm able to get a competent set up, would anyone here be interested in that sort of thing?

EDIT: With regards to using Iris (1, in this case) for neat sound design, this is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrB-GolJZ2E

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 16, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This might be outside of the scope of this thread, so I apologize if it is but would anyone know of a good place to start if I was interested in developing my own plugins?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ynohtna posted:

What kind of things are you aiming for, and what are your current coding skills and preferences?

This tutorial for WDL-OL gets bandied around a lot, covers a nice breadth of concepts, and results in a neat prototype ready for further self-driven exploration & experimentation.

The best practices I can suggest would be to get really good mindful serenity, to never ever develop new audio code whilst wearing headphones, and to expect constant aggravation (in stereo where available). Go well and brave, comrade!

Oh, my coding experience is next to nothing, I'm kind of just spitballing ideas for things that I could take on (and spend years learning, I'm not going to kid myself).

And yes, no headphones while developing new audio code. Sage advice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

breaks posted:

Definitely consider Reaktor or Max then, unless you're really set on VSTs specifically.

Actually, it'd be AU primarily, and then something like VST, as I'm currently on a mac for all my audio work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

breaks posted:

Well it all depends on what your goals are, but both are available for Mac. Neither is a toy, they are both full development environments that are just specialized for audio work, and will cut the time until you can do something useful dramatically (though not to nothing by any means).

Of course neither is useful if you just want to learn a programming language for fun or as a possible future job skill, but then again writing plugins is also probably one of the worst ways you could go about doing that too, so... But if you're happy with it then don't let me tell you poo poo.

Oh, I'm not really planning a career on it or anything. But if someday, I made a plugin that helped people make new sounds, I'd be proud.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

well why not posted:

Yeah agreed that this sounds like a task for Reaktor. Seeing as you don't know what exactly you want to make, you should experiment in Reaktor and when you know what you want to make into a real plugin, get into the AU/VST side of things.

MUCH easier said than done, of course, but it's kind of what Reaktor is for. I mean, really, you could probably just leave it in Reaktor. Lots of good stuff on that platform.

Oh.... oh wow. Ok, so I've heard the name Reaktor over the years, but never REALLY looked into it. So, based on your post and others, I'm checking it out now, and :stare:

:stare:

Yeah, this is it. This is what I want.

I think I was getting it confused with that hardware box that I can't remember the name of, but it starts with an R, and you can (if I understand it correctly) load up various modules and plugins through it, because they all use the same physical interface. gently caress, it's driving me nuts that I can't remember what it's called. Anyway, I thought that was Reaktor, and holy poo poo, am I glad to be sorted out now.

This is definitely going on my mental list of audio software, maybe it'll be #1. Incredible. Thanks, all! :toot:

EDIT: Yeah, I'm 99% sure I'm thinking of Receptor

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 30, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

afaik its on sale right now too

I'll have to wait for the next sale, unfortunately. Can't do it now. But it'll happen someday.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oooh, I just learned of NI's Form, which is what I've sort of been looking for (a sample-based synth that's not Alchemy, because I don't have Logic X.... yet). Anyone use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

well why not posted:

I'm actually super jealous of Harmor, but I'm in Ableton on Mac OS. Is there a valid alternative, or any chance they'd port it over?

Well, FL Studio is available for OS X, at least in beta, last time I checked.