Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In a similar vein to Massive, if you're looking for a good, 'everybody uses this for a reason' distortion plug and are willing to drop some ducats, Ohmicide is fantastic. I'm only now starting to REALLY use it effectively But it's adding some great dirt to my leads and basses. Four bands with adjustable crossovers so you don't really need to to that 'split/isolate/distort each band differently' thing that a lot of D&B/Dubstep/Electro producers swear by - I mean, you're still doing it but it's easy. Pro-tip: Automate said crossover cutoffs for wild movement in your basslines.

TAL's Bitcrusher is also great; it's more versatile than Ableton's native 'crusher and has a noise oscillator and some EQ that are mad useful. Plus, like other TAL stuff it's free.

Lastly, if you're looking for a good metering plug, yet AGAIN I have to pimp Flux StereoTool. It does more than that (like some stereo widening options) but IMO its meters are awesome. A phase scope (which is just a rad thing to have) for stereo correlation metering, and PPM meters. Free. Dope as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Empirical Labs just released a software version of the Distressor. I'm excited to try it out but it requires an iLok. :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've got a question about installing Omnisphere. It's an enormous install (like 64GB), but I'm assuming most of that is patches and supporting audio files. Does this have to go on my home drive, or does the installer have an option to install to another drive? My home drive is a rather small SSD and certainly doesn't have that kind of space on it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oldstench posted:

Yeah, you can choose a different location for the STEAM folder when you install it. Otherwise you can move the STEAM folder after installation and point the app proper to the library.

Yep, saw it in the installer. Thanks! What a tank Omnisphere is.

Since I lust after more sound libraries, I'm working on my Kontakt instrument collection now. Apologies if there's a more appropriate thread for this, but - is there a place in Kontakt to save 'favourite' NKI files? Only some of my instruments show up in the Library browser - I'm guessing the ones that don't were made for earlier versions of the sampler, so I have to dig around my filesystem for them. Is there a 'quick' or 'favourites' tab I can drag these NKI files, or a workaround in Finder to make it easier to locate them?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another Kontakt question: I've added a library and it seems to have crashed Kontakt... Every time I try to launch it in standalone it crashes right away. Deleting my .com.native-instruments... file in Preferences didn't work, deleting the Kontakt database folder didn't work either. Odd thing is that the library definitely installed - using a different version of K5 in VST mode in Ableton, I can see it in the library list. Any ideas?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
After a complete system reinitialization, I spent all of yesterday reinstalling and reauthorizing everything. I've got most all of my VSTs sorted except one stubborn piece of NI software: Battery 3. I've installed it from the DVD (ancient, I know) but opening it prompts to launch ServiceCenter - I'm pretty sure SC is no longer supported in the wake of Native Access, which would explain why it crashes on launch. Service Center sees that it's installed, it's in my Applications folder and the plugin files are where they should be, but it's still invisible to Live. I've tried manually uninstalling the software and going through Native Access but it doesn't let me reinstall.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've tried launching it in standalone mode, like I said that's where I'm prompted to run ServiceCenter. Yeah I'm on a Mac. Trying the legacy SC download now, thanks.

EDIT: That worked, thank you so much. Oddly, SC asked to update (even from the latest download version) but after a few tries the option to launch without updating appeared. B3 was updated to 3.2.3 and now the standalone app and plugin both work. Thanks!

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2018

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another dumbass Kontakt question from ya boy here! I've set up a multitimbral Kontakt instance in Live, nested with a bunch of External Instrument instances corresponding to the plugin's MIDI channels and output pairs. I'm wondering if there's a setting I can tick that when adding an instrument in Kontakt, the next output pair is automatically selected - similar to how it automatically selects a new MIDI channel. It's a small thing but it would be nice not to have to point it at the next available output pair each time.

While I'm daydreaming about template stuff and not actually writing any goddamn music still, another thing that would be nice is building another multitimbral patch/Live track group to call up that's a properly panned and levelled, . This is probably as simple as looking at a seating layout of a standard orchestra and placing the instruments. Film composers probably do this exact sort of thing, yeah?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can anyone recommend a VST/AU standalone host for Mac (10.11.6)?

Basically what I want to do is have something I can load up some metering plugins in, so I can watch them on my second monitor while listening to music or whatever through my browser. So it's got to have the ability to take audio from my interface. Is something like Soundflower necessary for this, or is there a VST host that will work just fine? AU Lab doesn't seem to want to open.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That worked well, thanks. I had to grab Soundflower and create a Multi-Output Device in Audio MIDI Setup to tap into my system output. I hope this doesn't cause conflict with my DAW - natch, the obvious solution is to switch back to my interface, as I can just run the meters VST in Live.

Mainstage is a surprising CPU hog though, maybe there's a more stripped-down way I can run it but right now its CPU meters are reading a little hot for my liking. And I'm wondering if there's a simple way to keep the app windows on top, so that it doesn't disappear from my second monitor when I cursor over and click within my browser or whatever. But so far, it's doing exactly what I want, as long as I CMD+TAB over to it after, for example, loading up a YouTube video. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I feel like I've asked this before, but does there exist a VST container (for Mac) that will run a plugin on whatever I'm monitoring out of my interface?

For example, if I wanted to run some metering plugins like Insight or StereoTool to see what's going on in a video or stream I'm watching in my browser.