Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

renderful posted:

I'm on a Mac and I use mostly VST's. Any company who develops VST's and AU's is just putting the VST into an AU wrapper, compiling and distributing it.

ValhallaUberMod is what I'm playing with this second, and it is a very odd multitap delay/chorus. For 50 bucks, it has already paid for itself and then some.

The only thing that I use that I can think of that is AU only is DrumSpillage, and it is by far the best and most versatile drum synth I've ever used. For me, it kills uTonic, Punch and Tremor.

Valhalla stuff is getting a lot of good word of mouth these days. They also make a $50 reverb plugin that's a lot of fun. Both have full featured demos (with periodic muting of the reverb) that are worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

Is Komplete 8 Ultimate worth the extra cash? I'm upgrading from Komplete Elements and I am kinda leaning towards just getting the normal suite.

Personally I'd avoid Ultimate for the price, that extra money could go towards some sweet non-NI plugins, synths, sound libraries, drum machines, etc.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Nermal. posted:

You sir are correct.

DAW selecting has always fascinated me. I spent the better part of a decade on strictly hardware, and when I decided it was time to join the softside, I bought an APC40 and Ableton and spent months with them. Never felt good, never had any real fun.

Buddy lets me borrow a laptop with Logic Pro 9 and five minutes after I boot it up a choir starts playing and the room starts glowing like when Harry Potter picked his goddamn wand. I have never had a better time making music. You just never know.

The APC40 has been converted into a Resolume trigger and I haven't touched Live in months. I wanted to love it.

I've had issues getting the apc to play nicely with resolume. I can map the knobs, but the clip launch grid doesnt seem to do anything, and I can't seem to access more than one bank of controls for the knobs. Any general tips?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Wizchine posted:

I bought DIVA at a discount as a paid beta. I don't think my IQ dropped any points because I did so. In fact I didn't even use it for months anyway because I was waiting for the 64-bit version. So I got a synth I wanted from a company whose quality I trusted - at a discount.

We're in the same early adopter boat. DIVA is easily my favorite synth, and I enjoy using it far more than the NI stuff. With U-he I've been very pleased at both the accessibility of the designers (through KVR's forum) and the steady improvements to the product since launch. They've announced that they're going to be adding new filters, an arpeggiator, and some new waveforms among other things this summer.