Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

Yes. Yes we do. Plus we get to have AU plugs too. On the other hand we dont have DX plugs, but uh, sonar lol (I have no idea if sonar still only takes directx plugs. This might be like 5-6 years ago)

I don't think that was true even 5-6 years ago, maybe more like 10? Anyway, yes Sonar takes VSTs nowadays.

e: Oh actually it looks like built-in support wasn't until 2005, but there was a wrapper prior to that.

Anyway, count me as a big Amplitube fanboy as well. After I bought Amplitube, a lot of my actual amp and pedalboard collection started slowly drifting onto Ebay as I found that I never really used them any more. Amplitube just sounds too drat good. I managed to wangle a lot of weird deals during IK's anniversary specials and got Amplitube 3, Fender, and Metal for under $150. Between those and my Custom Shop addiction, I own almost all of the gear models they have. In addition to guitar, I use the amp and pedal sims for dirtying up/mangling all sorts of synth, drum, and vocal tracks.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Double Bass posted:

Throwing in some love for Amplitube, hands down best VST for amp simulation, and it can also be run as a stand alone executable. For something so featured it runs really light in all my DAWs. I'm not crazy about their new pricing model with the custom shop and everything but it's still a personal favorite.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in love with Amplitube. I think it's a bit overpriced, but they pretty much always have various bits and pieces of it on sale so if you're patient you can get a pretty good selection of gear fairly reasonably.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of IK sales, it looks like they've got Classik Studio Reverb marked down to $49 again. It's a really flexible set of reverbs, I use it on tons of stuff.

http://www.audiomidienews.com/audiomidienews/2012/4/12/csr-classik-studio-reverb-79-off.html

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nine Volt Audio has a sale on their Taiko set (among other things)

http://www.ninevoltaudio.com/products/stickbreakers_vol2.html

They sound really nice, and for $35 you really can't go wrong.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got a $30 voucher yesterday. Only good until the end of the year, though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have Komplete Ultimate, so I'm in the same boat only worse. The only thing that really appeals that I don't already have is Vintage Drummer, but I'm not sure I want to pay $89 for it.

You know, the thing that wasn't in Komplete that I use most is Alicia's Keys - it's a very distinct sound from the rest of the pianos in Komplete, and it's pretty much exactly the perfect piano sound for a lot of the stuff I do. Very mellow and dark. Reminds me of my mother's old piano.

I also got Session Horns a little while ago. It's decent.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Mystery Date posted:

Edit: If you bought Ultimate more than a few months ago, you probably can get Vintage drummer. They sent me an email a while ago with download links, since it's just a reworked version of the Abbey Road Drummer Series.

WHAT

Sheeeeit.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Mystery Date posted:

Edit: If you bought Ultimate more than a few months ago, you probably can get Vintage drummer. They sent me an email a while ago with download links, since it's just a reworked version of the Abbey Road Drummer Series.

NI is saying this isn't true. Sure you're not thinking of 60's Drummer?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rightyo, no worries.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And they sound loving fantastic. My only real bitch with NI is that there's no easy method (or method at ALL as far as I've found so far) to use variable hi hats with the Abbey Road drummer series, which makes it borderline worthless for those of us with Midi drum sets. BFD has this as just a simple check box, Kontakt should as well.

Oh and you can do variable hats in Battery but it's a huge pain in the rear end compared to BFD.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Samplemoog is pretty freakin' great, I have to say, and does a lot more than theremin sounds. If you can afford to wait until it goes on sale again, I highly recommend it. I think I grabbed it for $50 US.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

What's the best violin/strings VSTi that I can get without paying anything because I literally have no money? I've been using DSK stuff and virtuoso has a lot of great sounds but I think the strings are lacking. I've tried a bunch of other stuff but they all sound like they were made in 1998 and I can help the sound a bit with some nice reverbs but it still sounds kinda crappy and cheap. I've been working on remixing some old video game music to sound modern but I find it kinda funny how a lot of my string sounds actually sound really similar to stuff I'm trying to improve.

I was planning on adding in one violin at a time to the track and panning them out like an orchestra layout and making very very slight pitch modulation on each violin to make it sound more realistic but reaper just keeps crashing. Either the DSK VSTis are unstable or I dunno what, my PC is more than powerful enough to push that much stuff.

Total Composure Orchestra was just released for a KVR contest.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/the-total-composure-orchestra-by-total-composure

It's a full symphonic library composed only of public domain samples, and it's pretty drat good for a free package. It works with Kontakt, but I don't know whether it works with the free Kontakt Player or not.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

jesus christ this guy

Oh good, I'm looking forward to Waves' new line of plugins with interfaces that look like unicorn vomit.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HTML5 posted:

Thanks a ton for this link, definitely checking this out.

It's a seriously good-sounding synth. Take note of the thing about not being able to register if you do the google translation in Chrome, though. Chrome users have to fill the form out in German.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
DontCrack is doing a group buy thing for their Plug and Mix series. It starts at $199 for everything, but if enough people sign on it goes down to $99.

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2013/03/pm-group-buy-promo/

quote:

As you know, R&D (Research & Development) is critical for a growing company and we have decided to get you involved. And how are going to do that, you might ask ? Well, we simply want to give our customers the MOST we can for their money, and generate income for R&D on our side. We do have some very exciting projects that we want to bring to the market quickly.

To achieve that, we are today launching the most ambitious Group-Buy ever organised at DontCrack. The idea is to gather together 10 000 users that will pull our V.I.P. Bundle price down to ONLY $99 !!! As the bundle contains 40 plug-ins, that drives the cost of each plug-in down to ONLY $2.48. Isn’t that the craziest “No Brainer” you’ve ever seen in the audio industry ?

Our Group-Buy is a risk FREE operation for users as it starts at $199 (60% Discount) with a goal aiming 80% Discount ($99)…

When we do reach 10 000 users that will pay ONLY $99 for the total P&M bundle, that is almost $1 000 000 of income that we will directly invest in the development of future products. It is therefore YOU that are investing in R&D by simply buying our products at a total “No Brainer” cost !

By spreading the word around the web in dedicated forum boards, posting great testimonials on our Facebook page, contacting your “audio” buddies, you will help get the “Group-Buy” gauge to climb up to 10 000 users and the price will drop to $99 bucks…

In order to make our Group-Buy Promotion INSTANTLY attractive to all participants, we decided to start the pricing off at $199!! and it drops by $10 every time another 1000 potential buyers join the tribe. So there is no gamble, as soon as you join you’re in heading towards the $99 price. We know we will get the 10,000 buyers

Oh and BTW, we will offer a grace period refund to all previous customers that purchased a V.I.P. Bundle after December 1, 2012 that request it. We will also offer upgrades for those that purchased individual plug-in(s) during the same grace period for them to take advantage of the final group-buy price. Isn’t that cool ?

And as always, all future upgrades will be FREE of charge. That has been our policy since day one.

Our company aims at being close to our clients, working directly with them, we know we can count on our users as they have proved to be so very enthusiastic and supportive since the beginning of the client-driven P&M adventure…

We need YOU more than ever, so please take this opportunity to participate by joining the Group-Buy TODAY and get ALL of your friends to take advantage of this once in a lifetime deal.

YOU are our only investor and we’ll keep that in mind as we create great new products with you.

And to top it all off, every group buy participants will receive a “investors certificate” that entitles them to 50% off all future Plug & Mix product releases.

Does anyone know if their stuff is any good? $99 for 40 plugins is very attractive if they don't suck.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

Thanks. I'm already dreading the K8 regular to K9 regular upgrade because I also need a new computer and gently caress doing everything twice.

K8 regular to K9U is a bit too rich for my blood :(

I've got K8U, but I already bought session horns as well so I don't see enough reason to upgrade. If they do a half-off upgrade sale someday I may do it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if they've improved the interface for variable hi hat controllers in Battery 4? It's doable (and fairly flexible) in Battery 3, but the interface is clunky as poo poo. I'd really like to have all of the flexibility but with a simpler interface - something like BFD 2 on the surface, but with the ability to get into deeper editing when you need it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Alicia's Keys

I use this more than any other piano sound, and maybe more than any other Kontakt instrument. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure what the complaints are, but the only drawback I can see is that it's fuckin' huge.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Musician's Friend is doing another one of their giveaway raffle things. That in itself is not interesting, but apparently for this one everyone who enters gets a free copy of UVI's new Mellotron virtual instrument, Mello.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/recording-month-sweepstakes-entry-form

It looks like you don't get the instrument until after the contest ends. Not sure when that is, since drawings are held daily. Could be at the end of the day, or it could be at the end of November when all of the daily drawings have been held.

e: Looks like it requires iLok, though, so pffffft.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 1, 2013

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The compressor looks neat as crap, but having just got K9U and having bought the Cuban Kontakt library a few weeks ago, I'm at a loss as to what I could possibly spend a voucher on.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

Noted this purchase in the "new poo poo here" thread, but it probably fits better in this one - y'all should check out Klanghelm SDRR, thing is waaaaaay underpriced for its quality. I asked the dude and from what I can tell PT11 support is in the works, it's just a process that takes time and money obviously, so for now it maxes out at RTAS (full support for VST3 cross platform, AU, 32 or 64-bit, all that good stuff though).

The best bang for your buck saturation plugin I have ever personally used. Adios pretty much anything I used Redopter for, and many uses I had for Decimort. d16 group gettin' picked off :ohdear:

Ooooooh I've been needing a better saturation plugin. Bought!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Still haven't gotten my email from them though. Where the hell is my sweet, creamy saturation?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He was indeed, and it sounds great.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well not from ME because I can't spend that on a saturation plugin, but based on the quality, yeah.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey, do any of you know how to get Effectrix working as a MIDI-controlled effect in Reaper? I did a bunch of twiddling and Googling last night, but none of the suggestions I could find actually worked.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

The only thing to collect are Kontakt libraries :v:

And oh lord there is no end to those. I just bought the Embertone violin and cello, and they are just absolutely amazing. Take forever to load, but it's worth it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
MF showed as in stock for me. Just bought a copy, thanks a bunch for the heads up!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have Battery and BFD for drums, but for $50 I just can't resist a toy that sparkly.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost there with Kirnu Cream. Someone talk me out of/into it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
DontCrack has their VIP bundle on sale for $49 at the moment. I got it yesterday, and there's some stuff in it that sounds like it might be useful. It's a bit over a buck per effect, so it's kinda hard to go wrong.

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2014/08/5-000-plug-and-mix-v-i-p-bundles-at-only-49/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RandomCheese posted:

Can you elaborate on this? $12 to $20 in TF2 keys, I can't just pay cash? I don't understand Steam trading.

Yeah, me neither and I'd buy it in a heartbeat for cash.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in seeing if there are any updates coming to current software. I don't need three more pianos.

Yeah I'm a bit baffled by that choice. Komplete already has a really good selection of pianos, and I've got a half dozen others as well. That was pretty much the last thing on my list of stuff I needed more of.

I'm guessing K10U will have Session Horns Pro. I'd love to have that, but not to the extent that I'd upgrade just to get it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Having looked over what's on offer in K10U, I don't see myself upgrading until it's on sale, if then. The only sample libraries that really appeal are Action Strikes, Rise & Hit, and maybe Kinetic Metal. It doesn't help that their demo songs for all of their other stuff sound like themes from lovely TV shows from the early 90's. Molekular looks cool, but I don't yet see how it does things I can't do with Effectrix or The Mouth. Rounds might be neat too, but at present it's so light on information that I can't tell.

The new keyboards look rad as heck, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup. I'd really have to play one and see how they feel before I know whether I'm interested or not.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stutter Edit is $79.20 at JRR Shop just in case anyone's into that sort of thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananalogue posted:

Sadly all of Slate's require you to buy an iLok so to hell with them.

Well that saved me some time, thanks!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananalogue posted:

Something about paying $54.95 for the pleasure of having some bullshit DRM doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, that. The idea of paying money to a company that neither made nor contributed to the functionality of the software that I already paid for, in the interests of copy protection that completely fails to fight piracy, doesn't really excite me much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

I cannot believe that the Plugin Makes are still clinging to Ilok. It adds overhead to developing and maintaining plugins, and not only does it not stop piracy, it actually encourages it.

Yep. For audio software I'll just skip using something if it has a dongle. There is a piece of software I use for my work, though, where that wasn't an option for a long time. My response was to buy the software, chuck the dongle in a drawer, and use the pirated version instead.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey everybody, NI is giving away their new Replika delay effect for Christmas.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays-2014/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

W424 posted:

It would be pretty cruel to put Alchemy into a DAW that no one uses.

I use Logic :-/