Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Audition is back to decent now since version 4 (CS5.5) and for me up to scratch since 5 (CS6) now that loving clip grouping has returned. Why that got stripped after 1.5 (the rebadged Cooledit), no one knows. It made the multitrack neigh unusable. 2 & 3 were hideous and also crashed at the drop of a hat.

It's pretty stable now and even does per clip vst effects without crashing!

Does it have VSTi support and MIDI again? Because I honestly cannot fathom using (or even releasing) a DAW in tyool 2015 that does not have MIDI. I don't know what the gently caress they're thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eh I guess so, but it almost seems wrong to call it by the same term (DAW) as Logic, Reaper, and the like if it's not intended to do the same stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

well it's still fundamentally intended to do what a DAW does which is manipulate, mix, and edit digital audio.

Yeah but you can do those things in a limited sense in Sound Forge as well, it's still not what I think most people mean when they say "DAW" in this day and age. Or maybe I'm trying to interpret that term more narrowly than other people, idk.

~*~ALL DAWS ARE BEAUTIFUL~*~

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

Yea its true the common meaning of DAW has evolved somewhat but its always been pretty broad, anyway who cares Audition/Cooledit is still a useful program whatever term you call it, in spite of the crap that Adobe has done and then half undone to it. I do most of my actual composing in Ableton or just on a piano but I still mix in Audition and whenever I need to do editing or cleaning of like some voiceover poo poo or whatever its great for that as well.

Yo btw I haven't forgotten that I said I was going to send you some demos of my ideas on that war thing almost a year ago, but I got asked to do a soundtrack for a nature documentary and it p much ate up all of my time, and then I spent the last six months mostly traveling so I haven't recorded poo poo. I'll do it eventually, I swear. Probably.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That does look really interesting, but it sounds like it's a pain in the rear end to make it work in Logic. Anyone have experience with that?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah? Hrmery. I'm on Logic Pro X, so that sounds good. I may have to give that a shot.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure I fully understand - did you move your VST folder over, or did you just move the standalone program files? The actual program file and the vst program file are two separate entities and both need to be moved.

Default VST locations are:

VST2 Plugins:

Hard disk // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST
Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST

VST3 Plugins:

Hard disk // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST3

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No worries! Hope it works.

Completely other topic: I've recently snagged Bitwig, and I'm really really into it. There are a few things I'm missing (support for video and AU are the biggies), but by and large I really, really love it. Using effects that take MIDI and audio simultaneously is easier than in any other DAW I've used, and the way the built-in modulation and automation hook into VSTs is extremely cool. There are a few little bugs and weirdnesses that are probably just due to it being so new, but even so I honestly can't remember liking a DAW this much since...ever.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
FXPansion is selling BFD3 for half price, but they hadn't cut the price on the upgrade from BFD2. I just asked them about it on Facebook and they said "just submit a support ticket and we'll cut you a deal". I did, and they did - upgraded to BFD3 for $75! Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but it sure looks neat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I managed to get through somehow. Here's the code they gave me in case anyone needs it: https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=222-9114-602

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stupid question, but 'requires an iLok account' means that it also requires having the physical iLok key too, right? Because if so, drat... I lost mine years ago.

Earwicker posted:

Yes that is what it means. gently caress iLok.

Not any more. iLok now has a software solution that requires no physical key, and that's what this one is. It's basically like NI's Service Center.

I also am not a fan of iLok, but you don't need the physical key for this. I don't have one, and I have already installed and used Alterboy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got curious about what a formant-based chorus would sound like, so I hooked the pitch and formant controls from Alterboy into one of the LFO modulators in Bitwig. Sounds quite nice, actually.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RandomCheese posted:

Does iLok run in the background all the time or is it fully like NI service station in that it runs, authorises, and then is never heard from again?

I honestly don't have many iLok-ed things, but it doesn't seem to pop up except when I add a new plugin.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

The concept of paying fifty bucks on top of a $200 VST for the privilege of installing their DRM on my machine, all because I didn't pirate it... yeah gently caress iLok.

Yeah, that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just not sure I could use a saxophone VST without a big sex knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FM2g-lVMR8

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

He played the wrong song <:mad:> If you're going to get me to buy it you better play Careless Whisper.

That's exactly how Embertone announced its existence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TE7pplQGzg

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pennywisdom posted:

I...think I need that.

You know, it's actually not a bad general-purpose sax if you keep the Sex at about 20%. For the price it's pretty great. It's the sax I used on this:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/the-detectives

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

wait.. are there two goons in sydney australia both named dan warren who post in ML? or do you just have two accounts now?

Hahaha ooops. I've been mainly using this account for everything non-ML for years now, but mostly posting in ML with the other one. I just gently caress up sometimes and post here using this one. They're both me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pennywisdom posted:

I've never actually checked out Embertone before. Some of theme VSTs sound really really good.

Yeah, I own almost their entire catalog. The only one I don't love is the canjo, and that's just because the arpeggiator seems to be borked. I get crackles and dropouts with it all the time. Can't complain too much, though, as it was free. I really ought to get in touch with them about it just to let them know if nothing else.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

And so am I.

Tayter Durden, is that you?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I started using this account during some LF fuckery I didn't want connected to other account, but then I liked this name/av better so I just kept using it. Then when the Obama thing came out I basically stopped pretending this wasn't me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have the clarinet and it's really nice. The one thing about their super-detailed instruments is that you can't really use quantization in your DAW and expect it to work perfectly - the legatos and stuff mean that the main body of a note tends to be a little bit behind the actual note start time. That means you need to lay out your track and then move everything forward by some fraction of a beat to get it so that it sounds on time. Not a big deal, but it can throw you off at first.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey if any of you are about to buy a u-he something-or-other, I've got a coupon code for $50 off that I won't be using. It says "non-transferable" on the tin, but it can't hurt to try.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

I resisted digital music purchases until I bought an iPod.

I resisted digital books until I bought a Kindle.

I resisted online video until I ran out of physical space for DVDs and started to see just about all physical media as more of a burden than a boon.

But I still am not at a point where I'm comfortable renting creative software and tools.

I have a licensed copy of Adobe CS4, and it's probably the last Adobe product I will ever own. I don't like the thought of my ability to mold and maintain my personal creative content being held hostage by a software publisher. Even if I've fully given myself over to Digital over Physical, I still feel like I need to own what I use, mainly because I want to be sure that I can still manage my content with it in the future.

Perhaps five years from now things will be different... perhaps I'll simply have no choice.

But where I'm at right now is, gently caress subscriptions.

I'll also add that I have a (hypothetical) technical concern about subscription software in general. Depending on how a subscription works you might kind of be forced into upgrading as the publisher upgrades its tools. Sometimes that's fine, but some upgrades remove features or aren't properly compatible with old content. I would hate to be in a situation where I have to keep all of my existing projects up-to-date with the latest tools just because my subscription plan doesn't support previous versions of the tools.

I'm tempted to give it a shot the next time I have a project that it makes sense for. I'm hoping they eventually do an edu discounted version, but we'll see.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

I guess NI's hardware isn't selling like they want it to, because now at least the Maschine 2 and Komplete Kontrol keyboards come with 10 plugins:

MASSIVE – definitive synth for basses and leads
MONARK – iconic monophonic synthesizer
THE GENTLEMAN – vintage upright piano
DRUMLAB – acoustic and electronic drums
REAKTOR PRISM – vibrant modal synth and effects
SCARBEE MARK I – classic electric piano
RETRO MACHINES – vintage analog synths and keyboards
VINTAGE ORGANS – five drawbar legends reborn
WEST AFRICA – polyrhythmic percussion and melodies
SOLID BUS COMP – versatile compressor effect

I already have these, since owning Komplete is the entire reason I bought their hardware, but if you don't have any of these it goes a long way to making the MSRP of the keyboards a lot more palatable.

They also have yet to do a half-price sale for existing Komplete owners, but instead made it half price if you buy a keyboard. I pretty much only upgrade Komplete during those sales, so I've been watching that (and people's reaction to it) on Facebook for the past year. I wouldn't be surprised if most users only upgrade during those sales, so I wonder what it's doing to their revenue.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thing is I have actually contemplated getting a Kontrol keyboard, because I use Kontakt for frickin' everything. I just haven't tried the action on one yet, and that's a big deal for me. Even WITH possibly wanting one of the keyboards, though, I'm a little irritated about the lack of sales on Komplete. Not that they owe me that or anything, just that I'm used to getting their new thing every year or two for half price and really don't have the budget to pay full price for it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

aren't the regular komplete sales usually in the summer?

I thought they usually did two a year, but I may be misremembering. How long as K10 been out? Maybe it hasn't been as long as I thought.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay. For some reason I thought it had been over a year.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Looking for something to record and then loop audio in real time. What would you guys recommend?

Software or hardware? If you have an iPad, Loopy is a good way to get your feet wet for cheap. Hardware, it really depends on how much sophistication you need out of your device. Software on a Mac or PC, I can guess that pretty much everyone is going to say "something something Ableton something something".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay. I don't know anything whatsoever about any looping VSTs, I'm afraid.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yo JRR just put K10 and K10U (and upgrades) on sale. I got K9U -> K10U for $179.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since I'm going to be traveling for the next two months (and since shipping to Oz was $75), I just had it shipped to my mom's house in Oklahoma. Crazy cheap with the JRR discount and free shipping, but that means I don't get to play with my new toys until the end of July.

I'm tempted to upgrade but I don't even have a great grasp on what I got now. Maybe I'll hold out for K11.

I know what you mean; I've had every KU version since 8 and I'm still wrapping my head around a lot of the stuff that's in there. Recently I've made it a personal mission to sit down every weekend with a tutorial for some aspect of Komplete, and it's been quite fun and rewarding. My main use for Komplete is Kontakt and the associated libraries, but the deeper I dig into the synths the more I use them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I realized I'd been making notes all wrong for the past year, so now I'm working on a classy looking word document where I sort out all the stuff I need to know about Absynth. I'll get to the others eventually.

Absynth is the one I've started digging into most recently. I'd used presets in Absynth on a couple of things, but never really looked into the guts of it. It's neat, but I really wish the automation for Absynth FX worked better in Bitwig (idk about other DAWs). Also the interface is fuckugly but I can overlook that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

I just want Monark dammit, make that half off again already.

Just suck it up and get Komplete, it's totes worth it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't really want zillions of gigs of samples tho.

Yeah you say that now, but when you have zillions of gigs of samples you will literally change your tune.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've got several of them (Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard Session, Ultra Analog), and I like them quite a bit. Chromaphone is a particular favorite - I just don't have anything else in my toolbox that does quite what it does.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

philkop posted:

Any good vsts with a bunch of world instruments? From bongos to kotos? I'm just looking for a broad pack to fill in the spaces for whatever sounds I could need for some video game composition

Kontakt's factory library comes with a lot of that stuff, and you can always add libraries as you need them or as they become cheap in an infinite spiral of neverending gear acquisition

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI there are a bunch of other companies that make Kontakt libraries, and some of the most amazing ones are from third parties. Some of them are crazy cheap, and some are even given away for free. Companies I like for various things are:

Embertone
Realivox
Samplephonics
Rhythmic Robot
SoundIron
WavesFactory

And those are just the ones I own a bunch of - there are a lot of other companies doing interesting stuff that's not too crazy expensive. Embertone in particular does some really intense scripting so their stuff sounds beautiful. I mean check out this fuckin viola:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAnztd631E0

Actually, screw that - listen to this cello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbN6awgO4y0

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 26, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also if you get serious NI GAS you should just bite the bullet and get Komplete or Komplete Ultimate. Ultimate has so much content that you could literally spend years just learning what's in it and how it all works. It goes on half price sale once or twice a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWj6lciMPYM

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey do any of you have experience with London Symphonic Strings? It's 75% off at VSTBuzz right now.

http://vstbuzz.com/deals/75-off-london-symphonic-strings-aria-sounds/?mc_cid=fb36f78d19&mc_eid=badadf5de4

I've already got a poo poo-ton of orchestral libraries, but it's hard for me to not just impulsively hit "buy" when I see a big one for that cheap.