Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

slowfreq posted:

I've never understood the appeal of Kontakt instruments that replicate synths. Are there any synth sounds that are SO hard to make that you absolutely need a Kontakt instrument for it? On top of that you can't actually meaningfully, fundamentally change the sound that comes out of the box, which is a huge minus. It's like ReFX Nexus, except you only get one sound instead of a few hundred.

For the most part I agree, but there are some libraries with synth sounds that are altered or mangled in various ways that I find useful. Things like Samplephonics' Dirty Modular, Rhythmic Robot's Loopscape and Loopscape Vinyl, and Sound Dust's whole catalog (although a lot of that is a combination of synths and acoustic instruments).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Discussion Quorum posted:

It's probably hard to beat TAL Noisemaker for a free simple synth, and it's by a commercial developer so presumably low risk of anything sketchy getting mixed in. U-He has some simplified free synths too.

TAL's free vocoder is fantastic as well. Very simple compared to a lot of the non-free options, without a lot of frills, but it sounds great and is super easy to use.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

Hey VST thread, been wondering if there is some sort of VSTI that can compose MIDI based on some kind of looping, patterns, anything? Just kinda wondering what is out there. TIA

Something like Instacomposer? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AyoEZCW2Q&t=1s

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

I'm noticing the people who made Instacomposer also have several other plugins available that sort of match my request, and I am eager to hear about any more. I just got sucked into ADSR/Sweetwater sales and I'm trying to have some self restraint.

ED: still haven't made it through the whole video, but it does sound good. I notice these guys are on sale a lot over at ADSR right now, anybody familiar with this software?

I got Instacomposer on sale and it does a decent job of what it says on the tin. I mostly use it for generating arrangements for very slow ambient stuff - just hit "go" on the progression and then concentrate on the sound design. In Bitwig the easiest way I've found to do it is put a note receiver on each track followed by a channel filter so that each track is only playing one part of the arrangement.

As for generative rhythmic stuff I typically just bash together something weird using Bitwig devices and the piano roll. I use the hell out of the note probabilities for generative stuff - it's very cool to set up a lot of little weird noises or syncopated bits that only pop up 1% of the time.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 23, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not a VST exactly but I think this is a good thread for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYJ57K_lLjA

Free spatial mixer software for Mac, produced by a team of academics from UCSB. I only have a regular-rear end stereo setup but it seems super cool for people who have more elaborate speaker systems.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Groggie posted:

I'm sure this has multiple effects layered into it, but can anyone point me in the right direction to recreate this kind of sound? I'm having trouble Googling for it because I've been calling it an ambient, psychedelic synth which has many different impressions by others. Seems like there is some kind of reverse delay with a long decay and probably any synth/instrument would work underneath that, so maybe that's what I'm really in search of...

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx_5ZVl102eyz2obSYVfJ59rQvVsIGegfd

The main thing I'm hearing is a stringy synth run through a tremolo with a square oscillator and strong alternating stereo panning. Soundtoys Tremolator is very much capable of that sort of thing, as is Shaperbox. Or depending on your DAW you could possibly whip up something yourself with modulators or looped automation envelopes.

e: Or maybe not square. I'm getting closer results from a sawtooth.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 15, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

My interesting tip for reverb is to get Valhalla VintageVerb or Room. The good thing about this tip is they never go on sale so you won't get tricked into pulling the trigger.

I have about fifty reverbs and Valhalla is quickly becoming my go-to. Little Plate is my other one, but while it sounds amazing it kinda does one thing while Valhalla does a hundred.

WRT the people concerned about M1 compatibility: I have a stupid number of plugins, softsynths, and other audio software. I bought a fully maxed-out MBP in January, with some trepidation about compatibility issues. The only place where it's actually been even noticeable is that installing my UAD hardware required a few extra steps.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man the Spitfire LABS people keep putting out amazing stuff for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIwE4m30YBk

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of Spitfire Labs, one of the founders, and I believe current owners, outed themselves loudly and proudly as a transphobe, so.... there ya go. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/megancomposer/status/1566881704492531712?t=HWpD1c-UP6OvMJbI9OFgsA&s=19

God loving dammit.

As a palate cleanser: Modwheel has just released their new library for free for a limited time. It is big and loud and dirty. Requires the full version of Kontakt though.

https://www.modwheel.co.nz/wreckage

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 5, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wouldn't read the comments for that tweet, btw; LOT of people who are defending the dude. It's gross.

Yeah I made that mistake and it's not a good ride. The thing about it is, even if you agreed with the dude (which screw you if you do), he absolutely hosed every one of his colleagues and sprayed diarrhea all over their brand by doing that. Not just wrong and awful, but an insanely selfish and stupid thing to do.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

Good news, with the increasing economic hardship and conservative media rage farming for views you'll find out sooner than you think!

Edit

Is there something that does a similar "coloring" job to RC-20.

I feel like I just reach for it for default.

Arturia's Tape Mello-FI plugin is pretty good and in the same ballpark. It's not as flexible as RC-20 but for degraded tape sounds I think it actually sounds better.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a library that I can use to mimic an intimate string quartet / small ensemble group. Ideally violins, violas, cellos, double bass optional. This is to go with piano in some 'modern classical' pieces I'm writing.

Would need to be better than Logic's smart strings / samplers as I feel they are a bit transparently sampled when used in such a sparse arrangement.

Have looked at some Spitfire Audio stuff but it all seems to be bigger orchestras and tbh I find it hard to figure out what each of the many many collections do and don't have.

Embertone's Intimate Strings series is excellent for this. They're incredibly detailed with a lot of articulations, so you can fine tune them to really get exactly what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8MmyPNyqcg

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bop bop perano posted:

Edit: just saw what Christian Henson tweeted, I always knew he sucked deep down (or I just found him incredibly annoying in his YouTube videos)

I'm very glad Spitfire distanced themselves from him, both because I own some of their products and because I may be working directly with them on a project sometime soon.

I do a tiny bit of orchestral stuff but am not, by any stretch of the imagination, good at it. Mostly I just use string libraries in the context of ambient stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Bitwig does have occasional sales. You could rent-to-own through Splice and then wait for a sale to buy it if you wanted to start playing with it right away and/or see if it's right for you.

Also Klevgrand is having a 29 hour flash sale where very plug is $29

https://klevgrand.com/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, Bitwig just released a new set of spectral processing devices that seem awesome...but they did it as a paid addon to their existing update program. People are loving furious and are telling Bitwig to eat poo poo from all directions. Polarity released a video defending it so now people are telling Polarity to eat poo poo too. This is not a great indicator for the direction of future development.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

How different is it really from how FL does it

Quite, actually. You pay every year to keep receiving new updates, and until now that has included all new devices and effects. The understanding that seemingly the entire community (including me) had was that as long as we kept paying our update license we would have every cool new thing they released. Up to now that has been a great deal, as they keep adding really cool features on a very regular basis. This is a complete departure from that model, and regardless of whether it's legally defensible (it probably is) it definitely violates what a lot of us longtime users understood our contract with Bitwig to be.

And, as some people have pointed out, one of the justifications for going to subscription model was so that we would be paying for ongoing development and give them the team and the time to do cool new poo poo all the time. From one perspective that seems as though we paid for them to make something that they are then turning around and charging us for.

If they DID want to go to FL model where core bitwig upgrades were free forever (or at least very cheap) but new addons cost money, I'd be very happy with that. Honestly I'd probably buy every new extension on release day.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not like I'm moving away from Bitwig because of this; in thirty years (holy poo poo?!?!?!) of making music on a computer it's my favorite DAW I've used by a very large margin. It's just a lovely thing to do with no warning given the context of the existing payment plan, and if this is how things are going to go moving forward it's pretty lovely. If people are okay with this paid addition you have to wonder what incentive they would have to ever release another free device, and one of the best things about being a continuous member of the upgrade program is that every few months some cool new toy is just added to your toy box out of nowhere.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

I think it's probably the DAW most similar to Ableton, and was even started by ex-Ableton devs. It has the arrangement & session views as well as the familiar bottom panel for stock devices. It also has a built in modular playground where you can build your own synths and effects, and any signal can be routed pretty much anywhere.

Yeah and I would just say that more than anything else the modulation setup is incredibly well thought out and flexible, it really encourages me to sit down and just do sound design in a way no other DAW has before. It's not that it necessarily does anything Ableton can't do, it just does it in a way that engages me creatively and makes me want to spend more time with it.

For the other bitwiggers here, someone on FB pointed out that JRRShop is running a blowout that includes a yearly upgrade plan and spectral suite at the same price as just a normal yearly upgrade plan.

https://blowout.jrrshop.com/bitwig-studio-upgrade-spectral-suite

That means the spectral suite is effectively free if you upgrade now. I did it and feel kinda dirty because I feel like it sends the wrong message to Bitwig, but I was going to buy my annual upgrade plan again soon anyway so I'll just sell out slightly I guess.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boody posted:

Have a issue with JRRshop, perhaps missing something but after paying was redirected to getmylicense.ca which sent me a link which asks for product and my name but does not accept anything I've tried for product. Can you remember what is needed here?

edit: Not mentioned on the purchase page but just noticed the order details page mentions the purchase needs the license being manually created. Seems been a few changes since I last used JRRshop, need to login to view products and only purchase method for UK is paypal.

Oh huh I got a serial number in my purchase email that I plugged in to getmylicense and got two license codes back (one Bitwig renewal, one Spectral Suite).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, good that you got it sorted! I'm really hoping they walk this stuff back and figure out how to make things right with the community, because a very tight and generally supportive community is now at each other's throats over it. Venus Theory and Benn Jordan just announced that they're suspending Bitwig videos until the company does something to make poo poo better, and I think that's the right move. At the very least I hope other youtubers can resist making spectral suite videos until the company admits they hosed up and does something about it.

Also after playing with the new tools for about 48 hours my impression is that they're neat but I'm not sure they're unique enough or useful enough to justify the cost for someone for someone who was paying full price, and for whom that price was a significant expense. I've come up with usable sounds but mostly it's stuff that could have been done another way with a little more hassle. Still learning, though, so it's possible the killer application just hasn't occurred to me yet. Anyway, freq split and harmonic split seem the most fun for creative purposes, transient split seems most useful as just a utility for fine-tuning stuff, and I haven't actually found a particularly great application for loudness split yet.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 9, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay now Bitwig has acknowledged how badly they hosed up and will be including Spectral Suite in 4.4. They're giving refunds or upgrade plan extensions to everyone who bought it.

https://www.bitwig.com/stories/to-our-community-218/

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 11, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

havelock posted:

I'm really happy that they choose to walk it back and also clarify the future. I'm expecting an upgrade plan price increase but if it's reasonable I'll stay happy.

Yeah same. For me the price isn't an issue, it was the lack of clarity on what we were actually paying for all this time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Urban Puncher sounds like a new inner city trend OAN is trying to start a white panic about.

"High school kids are calling it Urban Puncher, but the police just call it assault"

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 20, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They look neat but even at the sale price that's significantly more than I'm willing to pay.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DaWolfey posted:

85% off V-Collection 9 if you have 8 - just €99

A no brainer at that price really

Yeah same.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

How long does this last? I don't have the money at the moment but I might later if the sale is still going.

Three more weeks according to the site.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Amongst all of the black Fridays and cyber Mondays I picked up the new V collection, Komplete 14 (mostly for Playbox), and Sugar Bytes' new granular plugin Graindad. Playbox and Graindad are both wild creativity engines, and combining the two is just endlessly entertaining. Haven't really dug into V collection much because most of them are things I've had for years, but the new additions seem cool.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just use Bitwig's built in arp with a bunch of modulation tricks, but back when I used a separate arp plugin I really liked Kirnu Cream.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

My son, have you heard the good word of Valhalla Delay?

It's so good. I probably have twenty different delay plugins but Valhalla is the one I use all the time. Probably 80% of my delay usage is Valhalla now, with the rest of it being mostly Bitwig's built-in delays and Audiothing Wires.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone has a recent full version of Kontakt and wants an absolute dickload of instruments for $49, Plugin Boutique is selling Rigid Audio's entire catalog at a huge discount right now.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/57-Complete-Collection/8644-Rigid-Audio-Everything-Bundle

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Soundtoys has released their first new thing in forever, it's a grownup version of Little Plate and it sounds fantastic. Upgrade is pretty cheap if you already own a lot (or in my case all) of their products.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/superplate/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

They sent me an email about an upgrade offer to upgrade to Soundtoys 5.4 for $29. Apparently I'm on 5.2 right now. What would I get by upgrading to 5.4 besides SuperPlate? I don't really need another reverb plugin in my life. Valhalla Shimmer is still my go-to.

It's basically just SuperPlate, yeah.

Shimmer is your go-to reverb? I use it a lot, but not as just a pure reverb. It's such a distinctive and diffuse sound that I can't imagine it working for everything. I suppose it depends on what sort of music you're making though.

My go-to reverbs are Valhalla Vintage Verb and Pure Plate. I just got UAD Hitsville Chambers though and it sounds amazing, so I may have a new favorite room reverb.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh that makes sense! I mostly use it for ambient stuff as well, but I do a lot of other things that it doesn't work for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I totally agree that the best DAW is the one you use. Personally I've been Bitwigging since version 1 and I don't know that I'll ever switch at this point. I have Logic as well and it's probably been five years since I even opened it. In 30 years of making music on computers Bitwig is the first DAW I've used that I will actually just regularly sit down and play with like a toy, and that has resulted in me expanding my sonic palette and coming up with things that I never would have made in a traditional DAW.

Richlove posted:

Well they finally got me and I upgraded to the NI Komplete 14 Collector’s Edition today. So many plugins and instruments. Definitely going to need to invest in a large external SSD for the install and move my VSTs there.

If you haven't started messing with it yet, dig into Playbox. It is so goddamn fun, just the perfect happy accident machine.

I think I made this the first day I got Playbox and I still really like it: https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/what-have-you-done (playbox comes in at around 0:45)

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 2, 2023