Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Cubase. i like my DAWs like i like my coffee: old, grey and very linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

gently caress iLok.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I doubt that anyone in this thread hasn't heard of it, but hey, in case there's anyone out there, check it out.

I hadn't. :ocelot:

I'm going to buy it for the really solid clavichord & harpsichord emulation alone b/c I play a load of old keyboard music, and my Clavinova inbuilt sounds are starting to sound a bit old and tired now...

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Beyond the Reaktor Blocks, what else is new in v6? Are there new ensembles (which aren't Block ones)? Are there new Core modules?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

That's good to know - thanks :tipshat:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

cat doter posted:

Who knows, hopefully you guys get what I mean.

Could you provide some youtube links or similar with audio examples (of other artists' work)? That would help loads.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

cat doter posted:

I would if I knew what I was after! I tried EZdrummer and my electronic drum VSTs and decided neither really fit, I just kept thinking "something in between these 2 would probably work" but yeah, it's a difficult problem. I've been playing around with overdrive and bitcrushers too on top of EZdrummer and that didn't really get the desired result either.

Fair enough. One thing you did say - "bridges the gap between full on electronic and acoustic" - makes me think that physical modelling synthesis might be the direction you want. I don't have any modelling soft-synths but the PM engine on my machinedrum is very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD_BYw91Qvw

I'm sure some folks here could recommend you PM VSTs if that was what you were after...

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's the best '303 Emulator' VST? I've been trying to get Massive to do acid and it just isn't right.

i always thought AudioRealism Bassline sounded pretty good

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can anyone recommend a good "tape" vst? I want my programmed drums to sound a bit crappier/crustier, think Ross Robinson's 90s work kinda thing.

U-he Satin; does (very) subtle to full-on equally well; but at a cost.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

evacuate meatspace posted:

Can't vouch for this yet, but here's a $200 thing you can download for free using code UMPG-FREEDS until July 24

Neat - thank you!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

imhotep posted:

christian sucks so much

Yeah that video is exceptionally well done

I didn't have any spitfire VSTs but i did have a load of Labs stuff on my Disting EX; so i've spent most of this week doing the logic autosampler and python process so that I could remove every single spitfire instrument and replace them with my own.

Someone needs to make a pianobook but for Disting EX. Zero terfs allowed

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

gently caress terfs

gently caress transphobes

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Richlove posted:

What DAWs are you all using these days?

Stick to one and learn it. I can think of very few situations where you'd need more than one DAW outside of niche pro audio situations. All of them have their pros and cons, each individual, and it'll come down to a decision based on your research based on your workflow and needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

anyone have strong opinions on the arturia fx collection? there's some nice reverbs and such in there, and the juno chorus seems good. i already have the soundtoys stuff so im not sure the arturia stuff is must-have, but also it seems pretty good to me

its pretty good and worth the sale price; highlights for me are:

Tube-Culture (used very sparingly on the master bus)
Fragments (big fan of granular-y things with pitch shifting; has a MI Beads but in-the-box vibe)
Sitral-295 EQ (lovely for mid-side EQing)
Plate-140 (perfect for when you want a subtle reverb)

however the pre-amp emulations stink imho as they have no oversampling and therefore introduce nyquist-y artefacts of higher frequencies when you're working at 44 or 48k