Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I guess I'm really after something that sits somewhere in the middle between Kontakt and Battery in terms of complexity and functionality, but for a cheap (or free, heh); I expect that this is wishful thinking, though. Failing that, I'll just sack-up and stick with EXS24 until Komplete goes on sale with a deeper discount.

Have you tried Ultrabeat in Logic? Its their bundled "do that" thing (or it was in 9 at least). It does synthesis too (does battery? I barely used it) but you can use samples as a sound source (and mix w/ synthesis if you want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

RandomCheese posted:

I remember there's a pretty easy way to do it in Logic if you have that (no idea exactly how but it wasn't complicated, google that poo poo son)

Warping audio with pitch as the factor, iirc.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm not that familiar with Arturia's line but if thats the one that looks kinda like a Keystep, the controls on my Keystep were *much* more responsive than I thought they would be. I don't tend to do much with either (having had bad controllers in the past and just figuring out other solutions) so I'm not the hardest sell, but they felt easy to control, if a little imprecise (they're kind of small).

At the end of the day it's still touch strips and slim keys, and I'd still take a real wheel if precision mattered, but for just bending up the full range or whatever they feel pretty nice. Using the mod wheel strip and a MIDI-CV converter in a patch panel I got decent filter sweeps on an analog synth.

It's better-built than I thought it would be - decently solid, but still something I'd use a lighter touch on. I've heard horror stories about Arturia quality but fwiw it feels tighter than my Microbrute (which itself held up real well, other than some chassis rust that was probably a fluke).

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

David Pratt posted:

Exactly this. If it sounds good to you it is good. There is no such thing as objectively well-mixed music, it depends entirely on your context and intent. See for example Norwegian black metal, 100 gecs, etc, etc.

That being said, if you want to have fun nerding out on EQ phase that is also cool and good.

After spending like a decade messing with mid-range heavy bass patches and side chaining percussion just as de rigeur getting my amateur uk bass poo poo not to clip listening to Loveless was a trip lmao

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm getting back in the box - are there any must-have (or maybe just really really good) plugins for mixdown in the last 5-7 years?

I'm set on reverbs and delays (really like Valhalla) and I guess am wondering if there's a similar-level offering for like buss compression + channel strip stuff?

When I google this I get reddits saying the stock stuff is all you need and I don't disagree but between Reaper and Logic I feel like ReaComp is "okay" and kinda hate everything else. Or rather really like using it (*loved the new compressor interface in LogicX) and then hate the mix. Same for EQ.