Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand; did the bitwig company say that all of their future tools would be free or something? FL Studio has free updates for life, but they're obviously developing their own paid plugins.

Bitwig is technically a perpetual license but you only get 12 months of updates, which can be extended for another year for ~$120, usually less because of sales. That’s worked fine for me for the past few years because I could rely on those updates being cool enough to warrant the cost, but now this sets a troubling possibility that that $120 update extension won’t be as reliably worth it as it was before since that year might be spent on paid plugins instead. Having to pay for both updates and individual plugins is a bit much.

And yes, the language of the update subscription says you’ll get the next 12 months of updates for free, but apparently that doesn’t count these new plugins since they don’t count as part of a Bitwig update, despite only being usable within Bitwig.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

How different is it really from how FL does it

FL is a one time payment and all future updates are free. Bitwig’s updates are not. If Bitwig went to the same payment plan as FL I’d be okay with this, but they’re doubling up on payment plans here.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

If you just buy the kitchen sink version from go I guess it appears that way. I thought FL had different "editions" and you had to buy a lot of the plugins etc. separately if you just got a basic but then I was always too poor to buy the "producer edition" or whatever. I never bought FL. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on Bitwig when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Still might if I see it at a good discount.

Bitwig kicks rear end and I don't regret my investment one bit if that helps, but this is obviously a little disheartening, regardless.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Plogue's SID chip emulator is finally here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0XxqbbT5qA