Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I posted a bit in the home recording thread but figured this was more suited here. I mainly work with guitar and stuff not so much synths. What's everyone's favourite "colour" plugin for guitar? I've been using Modern Analoguer on my dirty tracks. I don't even know what it really does. Adds a bit of low end and "smooths" the fizz? I dunno, it makes it sound different. Not sure if I prefer it but it does a thing.

I'm not looking for a silver bullet to make a mediocre track great, I'm just curious whether anyone has a "secret sauce" plugin they find adds a certain je ne sais quoi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually use AmpliTube to cut demos! I understand people use it for full production, but I bought a loud tube amp and I'm gonna use it, drat it! I guess I meant more for mixing shine and whatnot. I should really buy some more gear for AmpliTube, but I've been surviving my crunch needs with the stock JCM800 + TS combo.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'm loving Helm as a beginner's synth. I'm more a guitar guy but I've been slowly exploring synths. This thing is crazy versatile and nicely laid out. And it's free! I really need to clean out my closet of VSTs I don't use though. So many I only used once and forgot. At least free VSTs are nicer on the wallet than normal GAS.

But now I want Kontakt. All of it. Help me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That's the nice thing about outboard gear, honestly. Like VSTs are way more flexible and easily implemented (and cheaper let's be honest) than an outboard unit, but unless we phase out TRS cables, which is unlikely, I don't have to worry about compatibility. My reverbs or compressors or whatever will just chug along whether it's Mac, Windows or even a console.

The price, space and annoyance (buying a patch bay just to not gently caress around all the time) is definitely a trade off. A Bricasti is the bees knees apparently. But it's like AU$5k. That's a lot of VSTs, even pro level ones.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Raum was offered as a holiday gift for a while, and it rules.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My favourite part in any situation like this is the first person says something lovely, someone else says "hey you said something lovely" to which a bunch of idiots tell them they can't say that. It's clockwork, amazingly refined. And loving stupid.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Two Notes just gave me a free copy of their new Genome thingy, apparently because WoS is old and unwanted now. Works for me, since I still keep my many cabs, and it's not like my Torpedo Live stops working somehow.

Interestingly it seems like it can load Neural files and amps? So I guess I can try the new fangled digital stuff that isn't just resorting to using Amplitube because I'm away from my amp. I'm keen to see what it's like and will probably post here about what I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I ended up making models of my Blackstar Series One and honestly it's so close the differences don't matter. Given that every time I play guitar I end up using an amp model anyway I've decided to move on the Blackstar, because also I'm never gonna need a 50W head without a cab for playing live, and I don't do any music in any sort of professional capacity these days, so a digital model is good enough.

I don't think it feels as good as a real amp, as nebulous and undefinable as that could ever mean. It's always fun to plug in to an amp and cab, but I live in an apartment and live a quiet and much more relaxing life so I have no need for that any more.

I do feel sad that when I had a large collection of fun and weird amps this modelling tech wasn't around, at least not at a level where an end-user could extremely simply make models. I would've loved to have made accurate models of the 80s tube Peavey Triumph I had, and my modded Jet City, or the Vox AC100. Realistically it would've just been for me, and that's alright.