Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TAL stuff is great. The free Bassline vst I used all the time, get some really nice sounds out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IrvingWashington posted:

NI Razor is half-price until Dec 9th. They raised the price from $79 to $99, though (presumably because it's now 1.5 but that's still a bit naughty). I'll probably get it, been eyeing it for a while now.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/razor/

What's the verdict on this thing? Worth it? Is it mostly limited to Dub step wubs and such or what?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I don't have it, but if anything is limited to dubstep wubs or whatever it's only the presets. No synth is "limited" to any one sound or genre, in fact, that would make a reaaaally lovely synth. Synths are wonderful that way.

Sure, but I am not getting an Odessy vst if I want to get an amazing moog sound, they definately have strengths and was merely enquiring in a cynical way wwhere they lay based upon feedback I had heard from other users.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

breaks posted:

Razor first came out a few months after Skrillex really blew up huge and Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites came out and all that stuff. NI tried to :bandwagon: and literally advertised it as a "dubstep plugin," which I think is in large part why you still hear a lot of that from people.

It definitely has some wobble presets and whatever, but I thought there was actually a pretty wide variety, and if you're programming it yourself it's absolutely not limited to that kind of thing. It's an additive that controls like a subtractive and it has got a bunch of weird "filters" and "oscillators" that couldn't really exist outside of an additive synthesizer. All really well thought out and of course now they've just released a bunch of new modules for it so it's even better.

drat,my wallet didn't need to hear that. :negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I already have the Oberheim, if I was to buy one more of the Arturia synths are there any standouts?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

W424 posted:

Holy lol "serious drone fraternity".

ahahahahahahah

Seriously, how do you make drone and ambient, are there any sweet VSTs for that kinda thing?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

W424 posted:

Reaktor/absynth, press a key and slip something between the keys or put a brick on the keyboard. Let run for ~17 mins.

Hahahahahahah yep.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If Native Instruments think just because they sent me a 39 Aud gift voucher that I'm then going to pony up 100 dollaryoos to by Razor then they are right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got razor. :toot:

edit: I also got Memorymoon and Messiah the MemoryMoog and Prophet Vsts, but both at full price.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did Arturia have a sale? I really want their moog thing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trig Discipline posted:

They did for the whole collection, and I think it's still going on. I got it for $199 but I think someone mentioned they found it for $149 somewhere. That may have been a hallucination though.

Yeah I got the email about the collection for 149 and the classics for 69.

I only wanted the MiniMoog so I think i'll jump on the classics even if I already own the Oberheim because I'm still saving 20 bux or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I bought the Arturia pack to play with the Mini V...

...And I spend all my time with the Jupiter instead. So I guess that's a win then :toot:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This thread recomended Dolphin before iirc

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Dolphin_bassline&id=1238

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have been pleasantly surprised by Arturia's new licence manager not loving ruining everything, to be quite honest.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have the classics collection and it's really great imo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't regret it, as such, but now the only thing I use regularly is the Wavestation. But I loving love the wavestation soooooo....

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getting all those Arturia synths worked out really well, I'm slowly falling in love with each vst. Most recently it's the Prophet and the way I can squeeze out all my favorite dorky Downward Spiral NIN bass tones and drum sounds. :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bought some stuff at Plugin Boutique that was on special, Xplander 2 because it was a dollar and who cares, and 88 a piano vst.

This requires setting up an iLok account.

And so far, iLok is living up to their reputation of being ~the worst~ I can't even activate my account. :golfclap:

edit: Crisis averted. I'll stop making GBS threads on iLok so quickly I guess.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 27, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's taken me about a year to work out how to drive it, but the Arturia Prophet V is now my favorite synth.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even though I own thr Arturia Prophet V I woukd probably still get that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lester Shy posted:

Does anybody here use Softube/Gobbler? I just got a new interface that comes with a few free plugins, but after registering everything and downloading the Gobbler client, I can't download any of them, and the Gobbler site only suggest reinstalling the client, which I've done twice now.

I fooled around with Softube Modular, and it was fun for what it is but it was a crazy resource hog, and the gobbler app by itself would chew up like a quarter of my ram (at the time).

So it kinda sucks, even when it does work.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went back to Waves' site thinking "gently caress it, I'll buy these plugins on sale for 200 and deal with their lovely DRM just so I can get a great delay and compressor" and find they've already gone back up to full price.

:negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna grab the CLA76, H-Delay and one of their EQs, in the end I just bought the EMI TG12345 console strip thing because it's got a pretty cool EQ, compressor and some saturation so it kinda just ticks all the "clean up my vocals for demos" purposes. Even if it isn't as amazing as all those other individual plugins.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ughhh I hate Wave's strategy of enticing me with stupid 20 dollar gift vouchers.

I mean... I could get VEQ4... but how many eqs does a man need...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had that sad realisation today that I need I mean want another eq plugin because "reasons".

Goddamnit, me.

:negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AARO posted:

I'm eyeing Arturia's V Collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7MEcJVjLs

It's basically all I ever wanted. I have to have this thing.

Yeah so I have the small version, with just the SEM, Prophet, Mini, Jupiter etc.

The only one I don't go to regularly is the ARP because I just don't get it, but the others are all a integral part of my workflow.

I literally couldn't live without the Prophet now I have a whole bunch of custom patches that are production crutches.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaspy Conana posted:

TAL-Dub-X is really nice and made me curious, do you guys have any favorite/must-have $10-$50 VSTs or VSTIs? I've mostly ignored that range assuming they're probably not-that-great, but I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff.

MJUC

Like, I own a couple of Waves Compressors that I got on sale that are part of my work flow, but still this loving thing is amazing.

wayfinder posted:

Dude Valhalla

And this.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Glitchmachines Fracture XT.

I'm having far more fun doing minimal/abstract/ambient/noise things than I should.

I mean, it's hardly The Disintegration Loops but it's in the general ballpark.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Waves having another ridiculous sale. CLA 2A for 40 bucks or whatever is a steal.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even though it crashes Live every 6 seconds, I still wanna buy it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What copy protection does NI use, generally? Do they have some sort of software shell or something?

As said previously, it's not as lovely as other brands and doesn't limit authorisations(?) so it's okay in my book.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone talk me out of buying a UAD interface and some of their pluggins...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So you are saying if I have Waves L2 I should still grab both? Because I am feeling tempted but I hate buying different things that do the same thing... sort of...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Same with the Schepps 73 and also the BSS DPR 402

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Decapitator was on sale for 50 bux just now at Soundtoys.

Never bought anything so fast in my life.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
bad news

Valhalla just released a delay plugin so I guess we all are out 50 bucks now cos we gotta buy it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think Sean has ever once changed pricing on anything after release, he's very particular about them always costing the same amount for everyone. But yeah, Valhalla stuff is so loving good that it's on par with any of the big name releases so you can basically think of them all as permanently $50-$250 off depending on what you want to compare them against. Plate is the only one I can't see myself buying eventually, but only because I don't really use plate verb that much to begin with.

Also, afaik, with Valhalla you get unlimited no questions asked activations for life which is refreshing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just got an email saying I now outright own Serum.

Splice owns.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought microshift and phase mistress.

Love soundtoys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reaktor and Massive on sale.