Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Crossposting from the Goons Guilty Pleasures thread in GBS, since my :spergin: was a bit out of place there.

This is basically my entire "studio":

DAW: SEQ24 LoopBe1 VSTHost
VSTi: Drumatic3 Combo SuperwaveP8 ProtoPSG Analog Warfare Elek7ro Noisemaker HahahaCS33 & Minim Mixer
VST: GVST Bundle ReaPlugs VST FX Suite EasyQ Ambience TubeAmp

If you try only one thing, try the ProtoPSG. It's simple and fun and I manage to use one in every track. Bonus homemade presets.

Most of these were apparently linked in the post on the Reaper forum Barn Door linked to as well. So they're all free, obviously. I still think these are all worth a mention, because I get by with them on a netbook and they are strictly selected for that purpose (ie. quality/cpu usage).

I mean, if you're looking for a bit of techno/trance fun on the road and all :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I've used that GVST delay in several commercial projects. Its a nice pack, sort of like the mda pack with better skinning, but it doesnt have a signal/tone generator which sucks.
Yeah, maybe I'm not hardcore enough, but I do appreciate a simple, clear, well laid out skin on a plugin. It helps me understand what I'm doing. The GVST are good at that. There are no hidden options, the routing is clear and the buttons are big enough.

I tried the Oatmeal, because someone in the synthesizer thread recommended it as a good synthesizer to start with, and I just got lost in a forest of tiny pots. GISsing, I see there are better skins available, I could give it another shot, perhaps.

As an absolute amateur, I'm wondering what the practical use is of a signal/tone generator like the one in the mda pack. And also why the right synthesizer plugin with the right settings couldn't take its place.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Its a great way to test monitors and to pinpoint possible acoustic issues in your enviroment. if when you play music you hear something buzzing or shaking/rattling, you can use the sinewave thing in mda to figure out at which frequency resonates, and since theres only that one sine making noise it gets a little easier to figure out where it is. not something that will always be usefull I admit, but I have needed it on more than one occasion.
Thanks, that makes sense. Things are different when your entire setup is virtual inside a laptop and you mostly monitor on headphones, I guess.

I was noodling around with ShortCircuit2, looking for a free real sampler. Sadly it's another end-of-life product. I had trouble figuring out how to get samples in there and all the documentation is gone. Worked it out in the end (it requires you to put shortcuts to folders in its data folder, putting the samples themselves there won't work). I kinda like it, although there are still things I don't understand. Routing being one of them.

Anyway, that reminded me that some years ago I bought an old Welson Symphony string synthesizer. I went through a lot of effort back then to sample and loop every note it produced, because the thing doesn't have any midi connectivity. I put these online as a samplepack and I was a bit surprised that it's still there. (Here's a link to it in case anyone's interested. I hope this isn't seen as pimping my own stuff or doesn't break any rules.)

Was glad to see ShortCircuit recognised the note names in the filenames and does support the embedded loop information. Maybe this is standard these days, I don't know, but functionality like that wasn't all that prevalent five years ago (which is when I last messed with these things).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Beef Log Boy posted:

Anyone here familiar with Cakewalk's Rapture? I produce electro-ish stuff and can't find anything about it being used in that sense and would like to know if it's worth getting.
If you're willing to go deep and program your own poo poo from the ground up, it should be nothing short of excellent for that. Don't remember what the presets were like, it's been like five years or so.

$99 for the download seems reasonable as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

^^^^^ Whoops, missed some posts, especially the poor as gently caress part :blush:

cat doter posted:

What compressors do you guys use? I'm not thrilled with the ones I've tried, looking for something new.
I haven't got access to it anymore, but I was very fond of the compressor in the Waves SSL E-Channel plugin and the Waves Renaissance Compressor. Both had real character and basically you could put something in and it came out better.

This was some years ago, quality standards might have gone up since, I don't know.

EDIT: not exactly a compressor, but useful in adding character: Voxengo TubeAmp. In the same vein, JSMagneto -old, but featherlight and works like magic. It's hard to find on it's own, but it used to be included with Interruptor's Tape Delay. You can use these before or after a cleaner sounding compressor.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 6, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any awesome VSTs recommended for crazy-weird sound design? Obviously, you can get a lot of sounds from any good synth, but I'm looking for ones (that hopefully have a trial/demo mode) that are specifically design for sound design.
I'm not sure what you mean by sound design specifically. Maybe there's a youtube link with the sort of sounds you're after?

If it's what I suspect, maybe Absynth is something to look at. You can create some terrifyingly weird ambiences with that, way into non-muscal territory.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah, sorry for being vague; I actually have Absynth (version 3) and you're absolutely right. I'm looking for both non-musical synths, as well as those that can take samples are REALLY change them around to something unrecognizable.
Crystal seems to have possibilities in that direction. With the caveat that samples you want to use need to be enclosed in a SF2 Soundfont, I think. The links to the extra soundbanks were down last time I tried, so I haven't had the chance to test it extensively (links seem to be up now, so that's going to change soon :)). As it's free, it's worth a try for what's included in the primary download anyway.

ShortCircuit of ShortCircuit² is a multitimbral sampler with extensive routing capabilities and built in effects (like Kontakt, but free, I guess), you could get some mileage out of that if you know what you're doing. It's poorly documented though, as it's a discontinued product.

I'm going to take a look at the BR808 now, which might be in line with what you're looking for too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

:psyboom: Holy loving poo poo, this thing! BR808! Despite the naming scheme, not a drum sampler/synthesizer.

After an hour with this, I'm ready to toss all my other vsti's out. It's got a million options for everything. It has no presets or help file as far as I could find out, you're completely thrown in the deep end.

Full samples (not single cycle samples) as oscillators! Or some of the more classic waveforms. Or Mathematical stuff. Or analog emulation stuff. Phase modulation, ring modulation, amplitude modulation, additive synthesis, subtractive synthesis, FM, all sorts of filters, effects, routing, envelopes, lfos... A speech synthesizer, what the hell.

It took me a few minutes to get how it all works together. Couldn't get the samples going, deactivating the reverb muted the output... but then the whole tabbed interface clicked for me. Well, how it makes sense, I obviously haven't scratched the surface just yet.

I don't know how this compares in quality to other, perhaps paid for vsti's or hardware synths, but it sounds amazing to me. And, again, it's mindblowingly in depth, you could get lost in there for hours just trying all options once.

This is one of these instances where I don't get how this can be free. You could throw $2000 towards a hardware synthesizer that is more limited and less flexible than this.

Perhaps I'm overly enthousiastic again, but I haven't had a random find like this in years. I hadn't heard of it, never seen it recommended before. And it's definitely a lot better than most of, at the very least, the free vsti's that I have seen recommended and tried. Probably better than some paid ones as well, I'm guessing.

If you're struggling with the basics of synthesis, forget about it. If you deeply enjoy making sounds from scratch, you simply have got to try this. And don't be fooled by the demo tracks on the website, you can gently caress sounds up beyond belief as well. In fact, don't listen to them at all and get some hands on experience.

Well, anyway, strongly recommended, works for me.

EDIT It's a bit finnicky about what samples it works with and eats cpu cycles like there's no tomorrow. And obviously you can make poo poo sounds with it too, if you don't put in the work. Still like it a lot though.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 26, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

When I was a young little pirate I used to love the sound and convenience of the the Waves SSL E-Channel strip. Now I'm looking for something similar, but it absolutely has to be free.

I'm working with VSTHost, which hasn't got a real basic mixer (it's modular), and I'm getting sick of having a million plugin windows open at a time, or opening and closing them all the time. I've looked into Reaper, which would make things easier on that front, but I can't get used to its midi editor and it doesn't play nice as a midi slave of SEQ24 either. It's also not really free and that's part of my (arbitrary) goal.

Basically it needs to be a combined (semi) parametric EQ/Compressor, both of decent quality, preferably lightweight. If it has a low and highpass filter, great. Gate, basic panning and stereo widening/narrowing welcome. I'm not specifically looking for something neutral-sounding.

If it's a mixer plugin with most of these options for all the channels, that's ok too.

I've been looking through the KVR database, but channel strip isn't a search option there, so I haven't even got a single candidate. Anyone got any ideas? Any suggestion at all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Maximum Planck posted:

I'm not familiar with the Waves plugins, but it sounds like Variety of Sound's NastyVCS might be what you're looking for. It's got filters, EQ, a simplistic compressor, a limiter and even a saturator. It's free, has a clear UI and I think it sounds great (all of which applies to other VoS plugins). It's not very lightweight with everything enabled, but you can bypass the features you're not using.
That's verily exactly the sort of thing! Fingers crossed it doesn't murder my netbook too much.

Thanks man, I'll be checking that out thoroughly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Thanks for the tip about Kontakt. I installed it, but it seems to be running in demo mode and keeps timing out. Do you know how I can switch it? I thought it could be run as a "full" product without buying something.
Are you confusing Kontakt Player with Kontakt? Because they're not the same thing AFAIK.

If you're looking for a fully fledged free sampler, take a look at Shortcircuit. It's discontinued, but that just means there are no now versions coming out. Version 1 has a minimal help file, version 2 has nothing, but you can figure the most basic functionality out if you've ever used a sampler before. It requires you to make shortcuts to the samples you want to use in a subfolder in the folder where the vst resides. That was the most confusing thing at first.

Conveniently, I once sampled an old string synthesizer (Welson Symphony) and I still have those samples available for download as a rar here, if you need something to play around with (with whatever sampler you prefer). You'll have to reprogram the envelope curves if you're not using Kontakt though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

h_double posted:

The string patches are pretty generic, but the piano and harpsichord have a nice eerie/otherworldly vibe going on. Thanks!
The cello part has a nice oomph to it in the lowest octave too, otherwise, apart from the weird harpsichord sound, yes, a bit generic.

Sampling the device was more of a conservation effort than anything else. I mean, suddenly I had this relic from the seventies in my house and it was going to disappear in almost complete anonimity. Fair enough, maybe more or less deservedly so, but still a bit of a pity, I thought.

So I'm mostly glad those few hours of work haven't completely gone to waste :)

Enjoy. Hey, generic waveforms mean fun messing around with effects, right? v:v:v

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Startyde posted:

Just wanted to chime in in thanks. The cello really is something through the blofeld's PPG filter. The keymapping software didn't chew the samples correctly automatically but even at my lazy mapping of one note per octave it's nice and ethereal.
Wait, the Blofeld takes samples? Nice.

I recommend mapping more extensively, that will keep the periodicity of the modulation in the samples more or less constant when playing more than one note at once. Four samples per octave will do nicely. Or whatever, I'm glad you're having fun with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Does anyone know of a free Mellotron VST? I want to experiment with the sound a bit but I'm not ready to commit money.
I've kept Tapeotronic in my collection for some reason. Plus some of the other ones from the same guy. They're decent.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

Is there a good free multiband compressor?
I've been relying on the GVST bundle for a lot of basic stuff, so that's where I would go for this as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have no experience with any of the products you mention, but there seems to be no harm in trying Magnus' Ambience until you have scraped the dough together for something better. It's the best free algorithmic reverb I've found so far.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Basically, I want to accurately compensate for I/O delay in my delayed feedback paths.
Can't say I understand what you're talking about or what you're trying to do exactly. Taking a totally wild guess that Voxengo Latency Delay could be helpful, I don't know.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Can anyone recommend a free bitcrusher?
I quite like ToneBoosters' TimeMachine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

EDIT Slow, slow slow!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Isn't that just a demo of a paid VST?
No, it's a free plugin included in a package of demo versions of their other plugins. Don't know how that works on OSX, but in the zip of the Windows versions there's a subfolder with the free plugins. You can copy those (dll+keyfile) out of there and toss the rest.

EDIT 2: I like TimeMachine because it can be gentle; maybe for musically sensible grittiness search elsewhere.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 18, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yep, I just installed the 32 bit version and now they show up. Mystery solved I guess.
It might have been an issue of adding the proper path(s) where the vst are located to the Reaper configuration. On 64 bit a likely default location for plugins coud be program files(x86)\vstplugins whereas 32 bit plugins will install to program files\vstplugins.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Tace Vim posted:

Anyone try out the new e-phonic Drumatic 4 synth?

http://www.drumatic.info/

Interested in hearing some opinions as Drumatic 3 is one of my favorite softsynths.
I've been checking out the demo version for fifteen minutes now.

Although I didn't see it mentioned on the website, the demo is fully featured but has random noisebursts. Just a heads up. For the amoral cheapasses among us, this means it's perfectly possible to synthesize some sounds and then sample them.

The biggest deal seems to be that just about every sound has access to a second noise generator with access to a bunch of different "noiseprints". My impression, mostly from the presets, is that this opens up possibilities in making more acoustic sounding sounds, oddly to the point that you can impose a room sound on them, almost obviating the need to use reverb on your drums (although so far the effect is a bit samey throughout presets, but there's plenty of room to tweak)! For electronic stuff, it doesn't mean so much on kicks, but it still improves hihats, claps and snares massively. Kicks are improved by the option to set start and end frequency independently and having two oscillators and a selection of initial transients.

Filters have been added and their (fixed) routing is a bit clearer. The oscillators have a bunch more waveforms to choose from. Keymapping is more flexible, but I don't care. Punch knob is expanded into an effects section with either crunch, drive or compression.

Added: Various parameters can be set to react to velocity. That's a pretty big one too.

There's a bunch of tiny changes I'm not mentioning; just check the demo yourself.

There's a downside too, and the main reason why it won't completely replace Drumatic 3 for me, namely: they got rid of the multi point envelopes. All envelopes, while you still can manipulate them by dragging them, have a fixed order of stages with fixed curves. As far as I'm concerned, this is a big mistake. I'm wrong about the fixed curves; you can pick different ones from a rightclick menu. I'd say that makes the loss of the mulitpoint envelopes slightly more acceptable.

Also, the one improvement they should have made, giving you even more accurate control over the pich modulation speed, they skipped. Due to the fact that this is now mapped to the same timescale of all the other envelopes, you still have to mess with a tiny tiny usable range for conventional sounds. This isn't a lot better, but neither is is a lot worse than it was.

The plugin also still starts up sending every sound to channel one. I understand this probably cuts down massively on confused support mails, but it annoys me.

Pricing I see now is €29 while in beta, €49 after that. This seems very reasonable for what you get, even at full price. For the money, I can only recommend it. It's very good and flexible and still fairly simple to operate, despite the added features. I'm just really sad that the main discerning feature of version 3, the multi point envelopes, didn't make it into this version.

I'm not aware of a lot of competition, taking into consideration the flexibility and depth for tweaking (please don't judge this plugin on its presets, however ok they may be), the clear interface and the usability of sounds in all the categories. Feel free to set me straight though.

You still shouldn't expect it to replace sampled (especially acoustic) drums, even with the noiseprints, but for electronic music I think it's great, more or less a must have. Although I did get by with the free version 3 and still could, obviously.

I like it, but that's just my short term opinion. I mean, you ask, but it's not that involved a process to try the demo for yourself. It's still just a dll you dump into your vst folder.

Thanks for informing me this exists, by the way. :tipshat:

Added: before I disappoint too many people: 64bit version is available, but it's all still Windows only.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

cat doter posted:

There's probably a billion of these out there, but I've consigned myself to the fact that I don't have the setup to record my drumkit, so rather than try and cover for that limitation with fakish sounding sampled drumkit VSTis, I'd rather lean into the limitation and do something with it. So basically I'm after the fakest sounding synth drums u got. Maybe something a little similar to what's used on this album http://disasterpeace.com/album/rise-of-the-obsidian-interstellar but a little less...bloopy, if that makes any sense? I'm not looking to make video game music but I'm researching/figuring out going a lot more electronic.
CR-777, Tweakbench Toad, 8-bit Drums, a page that lists a bunch of soundchip emulation vsts you can ctrl-f for the word drum. Bitbox and DR-SID seem interesting there.

I have not used any of them, I've got to admit.

I like ProtoPSG, but that's not specifically geared towards drums. Drumatic 3 is also an essential drumsynth to me, for non-8-bit drum synthesis.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Whale Cancer posted:

Since my last post I am up to my ears in VST amps and impulses, this is fantastic. Any suggestions on a simple delay? The ones I have found are pretty detailed and complex, I'm looking for something more along the lines of a simple stompbox delay.

Any effects vsts you think are must haves I'm open to as well. I`d like to find a rotovibe but since I dont have a pedals I might have to go rotry/trem and reverb/delay.
AudioDamage DubStation is super cool. I can't really understand how there can be so much difference between delay plugins, but I haven't come across one that does that dub thing so well and so easily. It's $39 though.

For free, I can't go wrong recommending you take a look at what Togu Audio Line has to offer. They have three variants of a dubdelay, one of which is at least very simple to operate.

For cleaner stuff, whatever is built into your DAW shouldn't be too bad. If that one's too complicated, take a look at GDelay and GDuckDelay, those are okay and pretty basic.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

There was something about how he added air into it? I don't know anything about the technical aspects of it, so I don't know what "air" meant.
I don't know exactly how Blockfish implemented it, but adding 'air' usually refers to boosting the frequencies above 10kHz-12kHz.

Depending on the implementation, you could experiment with adding an EQ into the chain that affects those frequencies, try to see what a multiband compressor would do for you or even mess around with a harmonic exciter.

Adding an EQ before or after a compressor also gives you different results, as will using different curves for the EQ.

You should look into how stuff works a bit, though. There's a difference between not knowing the science behind the art and refusing to learn the craft. There is no art where knowing what you're doing is inherently a bad thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

wixard posted:

Does it bother anyone else that the curve in the sample picture is impossible to draw with 4 EQ filters? How the hell do you end up with that crooked plateau thing from 1K to 6K?

:confused: Impossible?

It's essentially demonstrating a feature of this EQ. Sure, you won't get that shape with a classic parametric equalizer, but apparently you can with this one. As such it doesn't bother me, no.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

wixard posted:

The UI can draw that line if it wants to, but there's no EQ filter that can create that shape. The fanciest EQ filters you can find are in Lake Processors. They're the only ones that can actually create "mesa" filters that top out flat at the center frequency like that, but you still can't make a curve look like that with 2 filters (the other 2 in that picture are just HPF and high shelf).

Take a look at the manual that comes with the demo, that EQ plug-in just has a bunch of variations of standard parametric filters (many redundant in terms of what they can accomplish).
:doh: You are totally right and I was wrong and a snarky dick about it on top of that and for that I apologise.

I sort of misunderstood what exactly you were talking about.

I guess an FFT based 'EQ' could maybe produce a shelf like that, but that's definitely not this plugin though.

EDIT: as for EQ's I like, Blue Cat's free Triple EQ is nice. You can put it in a mode that mirrors a cut you make in the mid channel with a boost in the side channel and vice versa. It usually takes several plugins to accomplish this.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 23, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

VU meters are the business. You can do the nerd thing and find some K-system meters if you want, but it has a whole value system attached to it that tells you some things are wrong and I don't feel right being that invested in numbers. VU is a nice and time tested compromise that doesn't take your focus away from how things sound as much. Who cares if it doesn't properly indicate RMS values.

There's definitely one or two decent free ones out there for those looking, but I can appreciate people supporting a good developer.

I like this one from Sleepy-Time DSP's STR Legacy Bundle:

(Win x86/64)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That's cool, man. It's pretty easy to get recommendations for $200 and up kind of software and it's also easy to get recommendations for free plugins that may or may not be mostly there. It's really refreshing to find out about those $5-$100 gems.

I do need a good transient designer and the free stuff's not cutting it. I should go check that one out soon.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

All the more reason to look into those cheap plugins that just use a serial number and/or one time activation.

When NI released Driver for free, I passed on it because of the copy protection. And I imagine that was one of the less annoying ones in the scheme of things. I just can't deal with that poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Make choral samples sound artificial by: chopping off the attack phase and only use the looping part. Use an envelope with almost instantaneous attack and release. Map one sample per octave. Do not use reverb or delay on it.

Or record yourself singing ooooh and aaah and put it in a sampler using the above techniques for maximum comedy.

Any general midi soundfont or sampleset will have two lovely patches of choral sounds. If you've got a sampler plugin that will take SF2 or SFZ, it shouldn't be hard to find something terrible for free. The smaller the filesize the better.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Can't decide whether it's clever or dumb of them using an example of how the mastering made the source material worse in the video.

On the one hand it tells you exactly why you need it. On the other hand you can ask yourself: how well is using it working out for this guy?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

minidracula posted:

Honestly the main thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on buying Geist at that discounted price is that I'm gonna get sent physical media, like a CD-ROM or DVD, an I don't have a convenient way to make that work for me to get it installed.
Huh?

e: Oh, you meant the Musician's Friend deal, maybe. For $20 you've got a usb DVD drive and you still end up saving.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 24, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm almost there with Kirnu Cream. Someone talk me out of/into it.
I've only played with the free version, but I think it either makes a pretty strong case for itself if it suits your way of working, or you couldn't care less for arpeggiators in general.

Just watching tutorial videos on it right now, I'm tempted myself. It's not really expensive and it does what it promises on the tin.

I mean, I'm crazy about fiddling with the arpeggiator on my Blofeld and then get bummed out because it won't sync properly. I've only messed with Kirnu way back when I had shitloads of technical problems with my setup and I sorta forgot it existed. I'm definitely going to try the demo now, so thanks for reminding me anyway.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

So are vst plugin bridges for Linux now worth poo poo or something? Because you peeps keep suggesting things that don't have a native Linux version and I'm wondering if it's become worth the trouble to turn an old computer in a Linux musicstation or if you're just frustrating the guy more with great stuff he can't use.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

ghostofbox posted:

I've been using Reaper in Wine on Linux, and it tends to act okay although not reliably so. As far as frustrating, at least it was free to try those out. Synth1 appears to crash, so I'm a bit sad about that.
TAL Noisemaker is also a pretty good synth and thanks to Radiapathy's link I now know that it has both a free vst and a linux native version. TAL stuff in general is pretty good.

I'll list you some more good free stuff I have in my vsti folder that you could try: FreeAlpha, Hahaha CS33v2, SQ8L, SuperWave P8 and FireBird. Particularly fond of that last one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

cat doter posted:

Anyone know of a free VST that sounds similar (but better quality, obviously) to the one in this?

[video]

I've been looking around the net all day but can't seem to find anything that sounds right.
Organized Trio isn't half bad.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'd certainly add the Roland A-500Pro to that list as a known good controller. Korg Taktile looks nice feature-wise though; an arpeggiator is a pretty welcome addition. Haven't seen any user reviews of it because it's pretty new.

For maximum tweakability on a real polysynth, take a look at the Waldorf Blofeld + dedicated Behringer BCR2000 combo as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

W424 posted:

Waldorf(s) are fully programmable from the front panel and every/most parameters are cc controllable. The Pulse being a pretty simple synth wouldn't even need a controller, if you need one I'd suggest NOT getting a bcr2000 (unlabelled rows of knobs suck unless you'll only use it for one purpose). If you have ipad/iphone/etc you could make a controller pretty easily as it's just cc, and have the controls grouped and labelled any way you want.
Touchscreen controls blow. But yeah, I said dedicated and I meant it. Otherwise there's no point.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There's 30% off most Waldorf plugins until the 27th of october if anyone was considering one of these. Coupon code WALDORF30

Largo, Lector, PPG wave 3.V and The Waldorf Edition (LE editions of Attack, PPG Wave 2.V and D-Pole)

http://www.waldorf-music.info/steinberg-meets-waldorf

It says exclusive offer for Cubase customers, but someone on the Blofeld facebook page said it just works for everyone, presumably after testing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Audition is back to decent now since version 4 (CS5.5) and for me up to scratch since 5 (CS6) now that loving clip grouping has returned. Why that got stripped after 1.5 (the rebadged Cooledit), no one knows. It made the multitrack neigh unusable. 2 & 3 were hideous and also crashed at the drop of a hat.

It's pretty stable now and even does per clip vst effects without crashing!