Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Edit: ^^^ Yes, case in point

There's a shitload of nuance in trumpet playing that isn't reflected in a basic rear end 'map one sample to each key' patch. Higher pitch register might be louder because more air is forced through. You might need to bend upwards into notes and have fade outs at the ends. Carefully judge where it feels natural to apply vibrato. Pitch might not be fixed perfectly in general. Emulate tonguing. Etc etc. It's like making a human voice doo dah patch sound like natural singing, ie lots of work and you'll only get so far. Some modern sample libraries or modeling plugins will (help you) puzzle things together from a heap of articulations through scripting and semi random variation. Realism wrt emulating acoustic instruments is complicated and emulating playing styles particular to the instrument is a big part of it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm just regurgitating tips from the book the midi files, which I found insightful on the topic, trying to get the general idea across. I didn't notice your post until I had looked it all up. So I'm looking a bit like a twat seemingly trying to explain these things to an actual player, but it's just awkward post timing, I'm sorry.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Reaper's midi editor does have a drum view, yeah.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Voxengo Oldskoolverb is good to have for basic room and plate sounds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Linear phase eq isn't the standard because the phase shifting introduced by eq is part and parcel of what we like in the sound of eq.

The situation described in the article is a technical and super unusual one. On top of that it's not an issue at all to the person making the mix; it's only a problem if you're mastering someone else's material and don't have access to stems. If you somehow have a bass sound where the right channel is the inverted version of the left channel in your own mix, just, like, flip one of the bass' channels.

I can see how the plugin useful to someone, but I can't say I've ever painted myself into the corner of needing it. I'll happily edit the patch on the synth not to be wide or something like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah cubase has the input transformer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Drumatic is still excellent imo. It's laid out in a way that makes sense to me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Xfer Records Cthulhu works great for me as an arpeggiator. Sugar Bytes Thesys as more of a deep step sequencer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you're just loving around, a lot of fun can be had with the sforzando vst and random general midi compatible sf2 files. The quality isn't anything like the multi gigabyte sample libraries you can buy, but it's free, compact and you quickly gather approximations of a wide variety of instruments.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

Humble has a no-brainer bundle right now. A bunch of loops and Cherry Audio synths at pay-what-you-want.

PS-20 is my go-to bass synth.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/level-up-music-creators-power-pack-software
Actually mixcraft is in there and that seems a cheap way to get a daw that isn't crippled but has an ableton like grid. I'm checking it out now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TAL Bassline is free, TAL Bassline 101 is not. No reason not to try both the free one and the demo of the other.

I haven't quite used either, but TAL's reputation for emulation is excellent and their free software in general is solid.

I suspect though that the question is more if there is some other, definitive 101 plugin that should be looked at and I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's weird to me to see people talking about the sound quality of the emulation. It's attractive to me as a workflow thing, where if you have samples of the type you'd use in a tracker lying around, ie single note with or w/o loop or drum loops, this is a low friction way to use them.

There's a free Ami Sampler vst that's missing a bunch of things that Amigo has, but allows you to layer or split multiple.