Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been looking through the KVR database, but channel strip isn't a search option there, so I haven't even got a single candidate. Anyone got any ideas? Any suggestion at all.

I'm not familiar with the Waves plugins, but it sounds like Variety of Sound's NastyVCS might be what you're looking for. It's got filters, EQ, a simplistic compressor, a limiter and even a saturator. It's free, has a clear UI and I think it sounds great (all of which applies to other VoS plugins). It's not very lightweight with everything enabled, but you can bypass the features you're not using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

dBlue Crusher sounds pretty good to me. The developer doesn't link it on their site anymore but someone's rehosted it here.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Huh. Plugin Boutique's free copy of Iris 2 is eligible for the upgrade versions of Ozone. I wasn't planning on getting Ozone (yet), but that seems like a good enough price for the two plugins.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

i vomit kittens posted:

wait if i buy this and don't already own ozone elements, does that mean i get iris 2 and ozone standard for that price?

That's my read of the Iris 2 freebie page and the Ozone crossgrade store page. I can't be completely sure – for some reason it looked like my Izotope account was eligible for the crossgrade even before I added the Iris 2 license, despite only containing freeware plugins. What I can say is I was able to register the Ozone crossgrade license without owning a version of Ozone.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Thinking about uses for Iris' sample library reminded me of the fact that granular synthesis exists, so I did some exploring.

I tried most of the free granular synths I could find, and PolyGAS was the clear winner in my opinion. It's flexible enough to let you output something like a hundred grains of different shapes at once, which means it can sound wonderfully dense and organic (and probably consume your entire cpu when pushed to its limits). edit: Some stability issues, though. I've been getting stray error messages and now a crash that seems to have broken my install of the plugin entirely.

Any other granular synth recommendations? Especially commercial ones, I didn't look at those at all.

Maximum Planck fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I believe Alchemy (now 100% tied to Logic Pro X) does quite a bit with granularity, if that's an option for you. I'm guessing not, since you'd like already know of it if you had Logic Pro X.

Ah, I remember hearing praise for Alchemy constantly some years ago. Too bad there's no standalone version anymore (I'm using Reaper).

re: PolyGAS, I take back my recommendation. I can get the plugin to either remember presets or not constantly crash, but not both. :rolleyes: