Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

AverySpecialfriend posted:

How much mileage can I get out of what comes bundled with Logic? :thanks:

i don’t know about logic specifically but the stuff that comes bundled with a DAW will generally be enough to make almost anything you can think of. i have spent more money than i’d like to admit on plug-ins and while i use a lot of them very often most of my go-to tools are what came bundled with the DAW. this will obviously get tricky if you’re looking for accurate recreations of acoustic instruments but even then there’s tons of free options, especially for a logic user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i kinda wish i could go macos tbh but i need to use a bunch of obscure windows-only software

watho
Aug 2, 2013

if subscription models were worth it to consumers they wouldn’t be so popular among corporations

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah the rent to own thing is a lot better than a straight up subscription, which is what splice does with its samples lol

watho
Aug 2, 2013

every time i use a wave table synth i always end up defaulting to the basic shapes wavetable and treating it like any old oscillator

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah as far as rhodes emulation goes velvet is quite nice

watho
Aug 2, 2013

RX is great if you do stuff that RX is used for. that might sound like a condescending statement but if you don’t need a suite of audio repair tools there’s no point in getting it. vocalsynth does own however.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i bought breaktweaker in 2016 and i think i’ve used it on three songs since. it’s powerful i suppose but it really sucks to use imo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i really loving hate waves as a business but yeah i’ve gotta give it to electric 88

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah like i’d take the lack of gui over a bad one any day of the week. and vst developers love bad guis

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the only trumpets you need are the soundfonts old touhou games used

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

THREAD TITLE

watho
Aug 2, 2013

a fun thing to do with arpeggiators is set it to random and trigger percussion samples with drum rack type instruments

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’m partial to AAAAAAAAAAA

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it’s by no means a bad plugin but i bought izotope breaktweaker like 5 years ago and i’ve used it in three songs since. just one of those things where for me the amount of effort i put in is less than what i get out of it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i honestly checkerboard most of my drums. i will occasionally use slicex to chop breaks in midi but idk. even in use cases where doing everything in midi would save me a lot of effort in the long run i still just work better with audio than midi.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

you can never go wrong with valhalla dsp for reverb. i think they have a retro verb as well but room and hall are very very versatile

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’m not at all saying that you should just ignore phase issues all together but i used to be super neurotic about it until someone i look up to a lot said that they use OTT on the master and realized that nothing matters do whatever sounds good

people who sell tools have a financial incentive to overrepresent how useful those tools are

watho
Aug 2, 2013

ozone has a really really good automatic release algorithm on its maximizer. i also use trash 2 a lot. never really hosed that much with neutron i don’t find channel strip type plugins that useful

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i’ve owned breaktweaker for 6 years now and i’ve only ever used it in one released song. the fact that it’s called breaktweaker but can’t really be used for working with breaks is very funny to me

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there’s a few shapes that are very good bread and butter ones. push-pull is good for more subtle stuff while crunchy grunge and crungey grunch are great for a little more heavy but not too out there drive. the multiband mode is great for when you want to keep the sub clean when you’re doing some heavily distorted basses or kick drums, the compressor is pretty drat good, and the convolver and delay are very situational but i used them sometimes. the fact that there’s a pre and a post filter is always useful because sometimes you love how a boost pre distortion affects the sound but need to turn it down a bit afterwards to help it sit well in the mix.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah RX is very specialized in what it does but if you have a use for it it’s so loving good. i know that was a hell of a non-sentence but like for me it’s just a very good tool for getting recordings done in not ideal situations up to snuff and it also has some very good batch processing tools. it’s relatively niche stuff for this thread but it’s saved me quite a few headaches

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah izotope has a great dithering algorithm if that’s something you care about. i think it’s built into ozone but i can’t remember

watho
Aug 2, 2013

just learned from a throwaway comment in the last red means recording video that noise engineering has vst versions of some of their stuff which is very cool because they’re one of the reasons i wanna get into eurorack

watho
Aug 2, 2013

man that merger news is troubling. i didn’t really care about brainworx or plugin alliance but there’s a not too distant future where things i really care about are gonna be completely inside of the native instruments walled garden

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i guess walled garden is a bit of an exaggeration but they do have their NKI standard and stuff that’s definitely inching towards it, but my problem is more that they price their stuff arbitrarily high just to make their expensive bundle seem reasonably priced. arturia also does this but they sell reasonably priced stuff aside from the bundles so i’m not as sour on them.

and don’t even get me loving started on waves

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Tempted by the new release of PhasePlant, but man I already have twenty softsynths I've barely learned to use.

This is the time of year when I normally upgrade Komplete but I'm not sure there's all that much in the newest version to entice me.

phase plant is my desert island synth. it’s the only synth i will proselytize about. and it just recently got a free update that opens up a whole lot of generative options for it. it’s just a supremely fun and powerful synth

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i've been doing some experiments doing some generative music with phase plant. here's the latest one in the form of a short idm type jam. i want to work it into a real song but that'll involve recording for a long time and then picking and chopping the parts that sound good but for a straight render it's already sounding good. the only thing that's traditionally programmed is the epiano everything else is just a long sustained note with lfos and random generators and such doing the pitches and gates.

https://soundcloud.com/all-caps-rin/phase-plant-generative-experiment/s-KYtJonuUZHY

watho
Aug 2, 2013

after a few years of collecting tons of random free vsts the only issue i’ve run into is that i didn’t use most of them

watho
Aug 2, 2013

there’s a ton of reputable free synths. the big ones being Vital (there are paid versions but you’re only really paying for presets and wavetables) and Surge XT (fully open source)

not as well known but an honorable mention is Odin 2 which also is open source and has some very cool oscillator and filter options. doesn’t get as wild as the other two mentioned but very good for bread and butter sounds. also let’s you do global unison on a patch that uses a unison oscillator which will kill your cpu but sounds incredible

watho
Aug 2, 2013

if you want sampled instruments Pianobook has you covered. there’s way more than anyone could reasonably use in a lifetime and a good chunk of them have versions for the free Decent Sampler vst.

if you’re mostly looking to practice playing/writing music i’d definitely recommend getting decent sampler and downloading a couple of sampled pianos off of there. some of the stuff on there is definitely on par with hundred dollar kontakt libraries and it’s all vetted so it won’t wreck your computer

watho
Aug 2, 2013

also consider this a supplemental recommendation for now because i’m not gonna dig up a link now but the mda epiano is despite originally being probably 20 years old on par with modern paid epiano plugins.

i was using it prominently in songs as late as 2018

watho
Aug 2, 2013

what DAW are you using? many have built in solutions for that type of stuff

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i can’t speak for UA but you’ll never be in a drought of options when it comes to bitcrushers. i use the one by kilohearts most of the time. it’s free and slots in their ecosystem and it sounds… well it sounds like a bitcrusher. nothing fancy but it does the vast majority of what you’d want a bitcrusher to do. there’s some more complex ones with special algorithms and other things but unless you’re looking for very specific results you do not need anything fancy in order to crush bits

watho
Aug 2, 2013

TAL-DAC is the bitcrusher section of TAL-sampler as a separate effect. it’s got some more bells and whistles than the KHS one and some different algorithms. it’s definitely way more feature packed but it does cost money. a very reasonable amount of money, but if you care more about getting the general flavor of bitcrush more than accurate emulations of classic sampler DACs and ADCs then it’s money you can spend better elsewhere

watho
Aug 2, 2013

soundtoys stuff is on sale, is decapitator as good as people say or is it just hype?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i did buy shibalba a little while back and i’m very happy with it (i think it was you who posted about it then) so their saturator is definitely a tempting alternative but it does cost about the same as the decapitator sale price. i don’t get paid until monday so i have time to think

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the sale ended yesterday and i didn’t get paid until today so that makes my decision a lot easier lol

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i generally don’t like waves but i use their Electric88 epiano on occasion and parallel particles is pretty rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i just bought rift i thought i would be satisfied in the distortion department :negative: