Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

There's also DMG Pitchfunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't blame him one bit, if I could get people to pay me money and give me free gear in exchange for some cheeseball photos and videos and a few choice quotes, I'd be doing it too.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Aether is great and if you don't mind tweaky plugins you would not regret buying it, but if I had nothing and was going to buy a reverb or two today, I'd get vahallaroom and vahallavintageverb.

breaks
May 12, 2001

You could check out ReFX Slayer 2, I'm sure there's other similar things out there, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. The problem you'll run into though is that regardless of the quality of the source, a piano roll or a keyboard or whatever is pretty lovely for trying to emulate something you'd play on a guitar.

breaks
May 12, 2001

For whatever it's worth, if you didn't already know, the same guy made the Magix Analogue Modelling Suite and U-He Satin. They are both available for Mac, but they are commercial products.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Razor is one of my favorite plugins, you can make a lot of great sounds with it, highly recommended if you like programming your own sounds.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Razor first came out a few months after Skrillex really blew up huge and Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites came out and all that stuff. NI tried to :bandwagon: and literally advertised it as a "dubstep plugin," which I think is in large part why you still hear a lot of that from people.

It definitely has some wobble presets and whatever, but I thought there was actually a pretty wide variety, and if you're programming it yourself it's absolutely not limited to that kind of thing. It's an additive that controls like a subtractive and it has got a bunch of weird "filters" and "oscillators" that couldn't really exist outside of an additive synthesizer. All really well thought out and of course now they've just released a bunch of new modules for it so it's even better.

breaks
May 12, 2001

For you dudes wanting demos, it's not the same as using the plugin obviously, but the Torley dude ran through all of the presets on it around the time it came out. So he's got something like 2 or 3 hours worth of youtube videos that are just him playing the different presets, which can at least give you a pretty good idea of the sounds it comes with, if you aren't so into making your own.

breaks
May 12, 2001

When I demoed it there was quite a bit of lagginess/choppiness when changing certain parameters, which I just couldn't deal with, so it got uninstalled pretty quick. That's not to say that it's a bad plugin though, just some of the technical limitations of the synthesis method it uses I guess.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If they put an actual high quality keybed in there instead of the garbage that's in most controllers then that may make the price feel a little better. Fatar makes something for every price point, so who knows at this stage. And I'm a bit skeptical that there are really that many people interested in high quality keybeds these days.

I really just want to know all the prices and whether they are going to put Molekular in K10U so I can decide whether to upgrade from K7 to K10U or just K10.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Ultra/MiniNovas are actual synths and the UltraNova at least is fully or at least mostly programmable from the panel, though due to the limited number of knobs it might be easier to do some/many things with the plugin. The plugin is just an editor though, it doesn't make any sound.

If you want something that's just a controller, I would look at the Akai MPKs, the Korg Taktiles, and the Nektar stuff.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Nobody has written a 5000 word screed blaming it on pricing plugins over $10 yet? Is it really KvR?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Chris Randall made some thinly veiled tweets basically saying that Apple threw a huge pile of money at them. He is more likely than most of the rest than the internet to know, and probably wouldn't tweet it unless he was pretty certain about it. Still just rumor, though.

I don't think there is any other viable explanation other than them getting bought. We'll find out for sure who it was eventually.

breaks
May 12, 2001

View - > Show Sample Map Editor

In the bottom pane that pops up, there should be a selector for which sample map you're editing in the upper left. Then you can pretty much delete what comes stock in each map and drag and drop your own poo poo in there. I'm sure there's more details on exactly how to use it in the manual, it's not the most intuitive thing so it may take some fiddling if you haven't used it before.

As with most reaktor stuff you probably want to make a copy of the ensemble before you start messing with it.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The new Blocks stuff is fun. :unsmith:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Did they misunderstand "3D perspective" as "30 perspectives?"

breaks
May 12, 2001

They're two different things. Massive is a great and fairly straightforward wavetable synth. It was a real step up in quality from the competition at the time it was released, but there are more options nowadays. It still has some features that set it apart, like the feedback routing and some unique filters. Razor is a true additive synth, everything except the rightmost section is just operations on partials. Because of that it has a number of quite unusual "oscillators" and "filters" as well as some simulations of more normal ones.

If you mostly use presets I think there are some preset demos for both on Youtube.

I like using Razor more these days but they are both versatile synths worth the money.

I should also mention that Razor runs in Reaktor. You can use Reaktor Player if you don't own Reaktor, but I can't say whether there are any quirks with that since I do own Reaktor myself.

breaks fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 27, 2015

breaks
May 12, 2001

It's a bit of shame that you can't repatch the blocks using Player. Can you even look to see how they are wired up? A little confusing if not.

Blocks are great though and the 1.1 update includes some cool poo poo, I upgraded to R6 outside of the Komplete cycle and haven't regretted it for a second.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

The UI on these things is what's getting me. Maybe it's my inexperience (maybe 2-3 days worth), but all I see when I look at Synth1 is sub det FMoct spd tempo key track amt A D A D S A W A S D A S D. I'm at a total loss. :psypop:

Very little is going to be labeled exactly the same way as the Syntorial synth, so there is going to be some amount of adjusting to do with anything. And similarly, pretty much everything is going to work and sound a little bit differently, or there wouldn't be any point in having different synths. Nonetheless there are many things similar enough to get the hang of with some patience, whether it's Synth1 or Elements or something else. Just take it one section at a time. If you can, pull them up side by side and experiment with the controls, again one section at a time, to see what might be labeled differently, what is labelled the same way ("A D S R" for example), and what exists on one that might not exist on the other.

Anyway synthesis is a deep subject with many different techniques and many different implementations and variations of each. Part of learning any deep subject is breaking things up into manageable chunks. Good teaching can help with that but it's always helpful to be able to do it yourself, so instead of looking at a new synth and going "holy poo poo," try to identify things that are familiar to what you already know. And if there's nothing that you already know, try to identify the different sections of the synth and learn about them one at a time. And if none of that works, look for some other way to tackle the problem in small parts. Try to develop the perspective of enjoying the process of exploration instead of being intimidated by the unexplored terrain.

breaks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 3, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

I got Komplete pretty early on and have upgraded every 2 or 3 versions, it's one of the best deals around. One of the few things you could argue it's missing is a great reverb, and fortunately some of the other best deals around are the Valhalla reverbs.

MockingQuantum posted:

There's a video of him using it to design gun sounds floating around the internet somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

If it's not too much trouble, please do, I'd love to see it!

breaks
May 12, 2001

I like Trash 2, which has a bunch of other features in addition to the highly customizable waveshaper.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah for me Reaktor is the only compelling thing and I already upgraded that separately so...

Blocks are a lot of fun though.

breaks
May 12, 2001

well why not posted:

FM or Wavetable, usually using Operator or Serum/Massive. Absynth just feels like a weirdo early 2000s relic, but I'm aware it can do some cool stuff.

Interface wise is feels like it because it is. I don't use the synth itself much but I do still use the FX version of it from time to time, it can do some cool stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This might be outside of the scope of this thread, so I apologize if it is but would anyone know of a good place to start if I was interested in developing my own plugins?

I don't know much about it, but maybe try the DSP/Dev forum over at KvR. I know there are a couple how to get started stickies and a few professional developers and other knowledgeable people post there a bit (along with the usual assortment of total loons). I've occasionally heard talk of some plugin dev mailing lists also, but I don't know exactly where or if there are any requirements to get on them.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Definitely consider Reaktor or Max then, unless you're really set on VSTs specifically.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Well it all depends on what your goals are, but both are available for Mac. Neither is a toy, they are both full development environments that are just specialized for audio work, and will cut the time until you can do something useful dramatically (though not to nothing by any means).

Of course neither is useful if you just want to learn a programming language for fun or as a possible future job skill, but then again writing plugins is also probably one of the worst ways you could go about doing that too, so... But if you're happy with it then don't let me tell you poo poo.

breaks
May 12, 2001

All of ni's new instruments and some of the FX released for the past 5 or so years are Reaktor built, it's just the mainstream FX and older stuff that are standalone plugins.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Public beta of the new Cytomic tube screamer emu got released today and its pretty great.

Aside from just being a really high quality emulation there's also a mods page where you choose what diodes to use, tweak the high/lowpass and opamp, or break open a details page and change the values of any component in the whole model.

So yeah as usual with Cytomic it's fantastic and also quite cheap at just 30 bucks this time around.

breaks
May 12, 2001

As far as compressors go, I wouldn’t want it as my only one, but the Waves Louder magic knob thing is really surprisingly good on a lot of material.

I wouldn’t reach for it when I have some more specific goal in mind but when it comes to just level this thing out without getting tweaky stuff :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

I had the same issue too. On a relatively old 6600k so maybe there’s something about that it doesn’t like? Figured I’d just give it another try in a month or something before giving up on it.