Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey, I'm not a major person on this thread, but I was just going through old hard drives. Are there any free VSTs that anybody is looking for? I downloaded a lot of good free ones ages ago and I bet you can't find some of these anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Whatcha got? My interest is piqued.

Well I was hoping you'd tell me what you wanted and I'd search these drives. But for one thing, if anybody can verify that it's abandonware, I've got the installers and codes for polystretcher, seamless looper and beatcreator. I actually bought the CD from Digital River years ago. I think these guys had to abandon their projects because of IP violations, like reverse-engineering Propellerheads' file formats. Beatcreator may save optionally in the recycle file format, I don't recall.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

got anything from Arc Dev?

Might. If you recall the names of the individual plugs that might help too. Oh, this is Windows, I don't do Mac.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Gaspy Conana posted:

got anything from Arc Dev?

Okay, found the ArcDev Noise Industries folder. What are you looking for?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Does EnergyXT VST work all right nowadays? As I recall XT had a really nice arpeggiator built in. I also recall the head programmer went nuts.

And I think I have just located all my "Classic" VSTs from Kjaerhaus, I think those were discontinued years ago.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 6, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DaWolfey posted:

Is there any plugin that is like a real-time sampler? So it takes live audio, slices it by transients or by time or whatever else, and lets you trigger them by midi (near) instantly?
I've been playing with looping, which is good fun (i've been using msuperlooper and enso), but i'd quite like to have that extra dimension available to me if it's possible.
Microdicer does exactly what you're talking about, but not with realtime, just audio files, IIRC. You can def make Liveslice do something like that, though Liveslice is too funked up for doing something that simple. Liveslice is about my favorite vst of all time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Jesus that is sad, too. That guy made a couple really nice pieces of software. Can I share it, then? I think that might be the first VST I ever paid for.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

2DCAT posted:

TAL Jup owns... New Softube Juno-106 also owns

Yeah, I was about to add that 2dcat speaks very highly of it LOL

Offer still stands, anybody wants any abandoned 32 bit freeware VSTs I'll be happy to look on this old hard drive and see if it's there.

ED: here, just for yuks:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 25, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea what you're referring to, but googling made me find out you can hide plugins in reaper by renaming them within reaper with a # at the front, which may come in useful at some point.
I think I came across some plugin hoarder/archivist megathread on the kvr forums at some point a couple of years back. Maybe worth looking those guys up to share the burden of not having things disappear out of existence completely. Idk.

Well you no longer need to brave teh KVR forums thanks to the slim slow flow of petit choux

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you have any old version of Alchemy (AU), or is that a no-no, since it's with Logic now?

No AU just vsts.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oldstench posted:

Turns out with the VC and tokens I had I was able to get it for $2. Seems like a good deal.

I think it was originally priced at $100 or more? Yeah, I'd say.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thank God I'm not the only one with this issue. But, as "Bob" says, too much is better than not enough.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

OutOfPrint posted:

Same, but then I get distracted by a bunch of free stuff like this and this, one thing leads to another, and, oops, have enough songs to start another album.

Holy cow!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

veepfake posted:

Does anybody have a VST suggestion that'd make sounds similar to an album I dig -- Wink With Both Eyes by Blanche Blanche Blanche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGdu9dO1iU?

The album is a little out there, and I'm pretty sure all they're using is, like, an old and/or broken Casio keyboard, and possibly a drum machine, but I am a sucker for the bleeps/blorps and the other goofy sounds, and I don't have access to anything that can make them right now.

Is there a VST I could check out that can reproduce a similar sound?

And if you need any old and/or broken Casio keyboards, hit me up.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

veepfake posted:

thanks for the help guys

No, seriously, you can get a bunch of good free synths that could do some approximation of that. I'd try a moog emulator maybe.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

I like their Arp 2600 and Memory Moog emulations. They aren't the ultimate of authenticity to the original hardware (I think they kind of build these internally based on Voltage Modular), but they are good tools and fun to work with IMO as a break from soft supersynths. Cool attention to workflow and aesthetic also.

Y'all I am freaking out right now about Airwindows VSTs. No GUIs, free and open source but supported on Patreon, some truly great tools in the kit. Worth getting past the no GUI quirk, seriously. No meters on anything what with no GUI so get your favorite metering out and maybe even use your ears, some, I guess. :D

Try Tape2, Srsly2, and the Consoles. I'm loving Console7Cascade even on its own without the corresponding Bus plugin. The idea is you can use console channels on individual tracks and the bus on a bus that those channels feed into, and it does a bunch of stuff that helps to glue the tracks - haven't even had time to try that yet, I just put Console7 Channel and Cascade up against some quality console emulations and they sounded great. Very competitive.

There are shitloads of plugins, I haven't tried most yet, but at the price of free I recommend checking these out for sure. I will probably support his Patreon at some level, personally, I like these that much.

Wow, thanks. Way back when I was first discovering DAWs and VSTs using Modplug, Psycle and Energy XT (and a sequencer that came with BeOS called XRS), I felt like audio software and VST design was one of the greatest artforms we have going on and likely more beautiful and inspirational than any music likely to be created with any of them -- not to diminish any of the music. But the steady flow of new VSTs has affirmed this feeling.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

There's reasons to not use Renoise, to be fair. Piano rolls make your intervals and progressions first-class citizens in how they're presented, which helps a lot when you're just starting out with composition and music theory. Trackers are a lot more abstract and I find it difficult to sketch on them, but they're perfectly good for actual production. That said, I'm sure other DAWs like Reaper have FX chains with compressors, EQs, LFOs, whatever ring mods are, etc.

In Renoise specifically, I'm not diving into any of the Effect Commands yet cause I want to get my fundamentals down first - but the Pattern Sequencer is super cool and I can already tell how useful it is even outside of an electronic context. The Phrase Editor is also obviously good, cause you can abstract a phrase to a single note...

Renoise also focuses strongly on using samples, which I'm not currently into? I'm more for VSTs I think????? Are samples an advanced thing?

I think it'd be good for me to explore DAWs with built-in sequencing capabilities other than Renoise. I have Reaper, but that seems more like a traditional DAW that just takes live input. Ideally something that's based more around composition, music theory, and making it simple to build both a melody and a harmony as well as keeping a beat. Any recommendations?

(Also taking recommendations for a percussion VST! I need to learn how to make beats :negative:)

REAPER has a simple drum sampler and you use multiple instances of it, I think there's a template somewhere. Reasamplomatic, I think, and you can use as many instances as you want. As far as percussion VST recs, I have a strong attachment to microtoniq. With the former you can do delicious handmade layers, and it has round robin too, and with the latter you have a pretty much perfect electronic drum machine.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Don't know if anybody cares to hear this ITT but I've been trying out two new MIDI controllers over the last few days, the Akai MPK Mini and the Zeppelin Labs Altura. Right now I'm running the Altura, a Theremin based MIDI controller (with a very nice arpeggiator as well!) into my computer and into an old freeware favorite, Superwave, just because I hadn't tried the Altura with the computer until now. It is a perfect tool for creating atmospheric sounds. And though there's the labor involved, the soldering and everything, it was still ~ $69. I want to be clear, I have no intention on playing a Theremin as a melodic instrument. That looks too much like work.

And I'm going crazy for arpeggiators RN, the two devices I named above both have them, both have very nice ones. In fact, the MPK Mini has a pretty great one, really easy to use and to control. I am very pleased with both of these. Last night I played on the MPK with another old freeware VST fav, Oatmeal. And Drumatic, Hard Boiled Wonderland, and Microtonic. All to good effect. I'm just a little bit looking forward to playing a device with an arpeggiator with another one, and seeing what might come forth from that. But anyway.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 7, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Would be nice to program it. Sample the random, play it three times, then reroll the fourth. Then do that again, but do a second reroll for the second fourth play. Instant AAABAAAC!

Bam!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

a fun thing to do with arpeggiators is set it to random and trigger percussion samples with drum rack type instruments

Much fun to be had with arps, that's for sure. I remember that was one of my favorite things about Energy XT, back before it went sideways. I still have it as a VST, haven't used it for years.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm partial to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m9wwP4LNOQ

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 8, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And so at last, it is upon us.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

As foretold, Black Friday is upon us.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I bought hardware from jrr now and then over the years. They're big.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I got a BSP recently (thanks petit choux!) and now all I need are some MIDI cables and I will actually have a use for my tiny synths. :v:
Since I had to sell my nice BSP (thx polly), I'm about to try sequencing drums by way of an arpeggiator. That's one of the things I'm excited about. I'm crazy for arps RN.

RN controlling a worn-out Roland XP-10 with this MIDI theremin, which has a decent 1-7-step arpeggiator on board. That goes into REAPER, and into Izotope Mobius filter and Jack Dark's Shattershot, MDA ring mod, Smartelectronix' Supaphaser -- not all at once. How's that for a blast from the past.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

havelock posted:

Edit: deeply enjoying myself making only stuff for me (not trying to be overly negative)

This is all right. I think people don't seem to realize that making music is the end in itself, not selling it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

Nice -- thank you for the detailed write up. Very interesting. I think I'll keep my eye out for deals on the Micro -- sounds like it would be very handy.

Old dead man needs his beeps and boops

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm really just a bunch of ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess. But I ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI, it just might. But it ain't no way human.

It's the very best.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Him reading it was my very first mp3. Lots of folks criticized that version, it's my favorite. In his young stoner voice.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Radiapathy posted:

I only own a single Izotope plugin (VocalSynth), but they're offering me a "loyalty offer" to get some of their bundles at a steep discount until the end of the month.

Music Production Suite 4.1 for $299USD: https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/music-production-suite-4.html
Mix & Master Bundle Advanced for $199: https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/mix-master-bundle-advanced.html

Both bundles include Ozone 9, Nectar 3, and Neutron 3 (which I think are $199 each if bought separately?), which I'm kinda interested in.

Anyone here use any of these products? (Ozone, Nectar, Neutron)? Have they helped you achieve results you couldn't otherwise? I'm always looking for ways to tweak my workflow, but I'm also trying to be wise about my spends...

I have a few of their VSTs and they hound me every day with loyalty offers. I only buy their more toy-like ones though, I've had such fun just playing a Trump speech through stutter edit so many times.

Anybody ever play with reMIDI?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey VST thread, been wondering if there is some sort of VSTI that can compose MIDI based on some kind of looping, patterns, anything? Just kinda wondering what is out there. TIA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Something like Instacomposer? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AyoEZCW2Q&t=1s

No, not really. (ED: wait a minute, Imma watch this whole video, maybe I'm wrong on this) Well, since I remember you in the hardware synth thread and we've both been watching user so math with his Euclidean composing algos or whatever, it put me in mind of things from days past that could use some algos. I think there were a couple kinda cool programs, way back in the early days of freeware and such. It was completely non-musician oriented, that were designed for doing polyrhythms, and I was wondering if there are VSTs in popular use nowadays that generate progressions or just harmonies algorithmically, and if there were any that did it with just MIDI notes, as well. Does this help expand on my question for you? Also, any good VSTs or VSTIs aimed at polyrhythms specifically, maybe more percussion oriented?

Here is another Q that will probably get some answers. Is $100 good for Pigments?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm noticing the people who made Instacomposer also have several other plugins available that sort of match my request, and I am eager to hear about any more. I just got sucked into ADSR/Sweetwater sales and I'm trying to have some self restraint.

ED: still haven't made it through the whole video, but it does sound good. I notice these guys are on sale a lot over at ADSR right now, anybody familiar with this software?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 23, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, did a little searching, here's one of the leading candidates so far:

https://intermorphic.com/wotja/tutorials/item/_old/video-jadito.html

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

free Trapt CD posted:

Somewhat related to the above, anybody know of something that can dynamically reallocate midi input within scales?

When I'm stuck with 16 pads or 2 octaves for input, chromatic input doesn't have enough room but using one scale note per pad means the range changes way too much when I use the octave up/down buttons. Would be cool if I could allocate some rotary CC encoders to move the starting step up/down chromatically, up/down within the scale by scale step, between scales, that kind of thing.

Seems like the kind of thing that would be a feature in some DAWs maybe? Haven't been able to find a VST for it at all. Gets to the point where I don't know if I'm searching wrong or if it'll just be simpler to build it in pd or whatever...

While searching I came across a couple programs that called themselves scalers that may suit your needs? I believe there also used to be such things in REAPER scripts, but those aren't VSTs.

And IIRC, way back in the day, both Asseca and Nicfit made VSTs that did nothing but various operations on MIDI. I think some of these may suit your needs. You should be able to find them on KVR and stuff.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 25, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Wow, it's so weird realizing I'm old this way. It looks like Asseca's plugins are pretty hard to find RN. I'll have to look into this, I still have them and one of his VSTs is pretty much in every project, his MIDI monitor.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

free Trapt CD posted:

I'm most familiar with Pro Tools, which probably doesn't help! But recently got a hold of Cubase 12, so if that's got the necessary stuff it's a fine excuse to finally learn how to work the drat thing properly. Also have 7 copies of Ableton Live Lite, but who doesn't these days?

In fairness, it's not like you're out here advising which hardware MIDI box from '87 will do the job! Bet there's someone out there with a .rar full of the plugins you're looking for...

And Im one of those someones but I'm in the middle of a move right now and everything is terribly disorganized right now. I'm sure I'll find it sometime soon.

ED: Currently extracting all my nicfit dll's from an old dvd.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 31, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, stayed up late rummaging through crates and finally found a dvd with a large collection of my old VSTs, probably mostly junk but including Nicfit's collection of MIDI utilities. It took a long time to decompress, it's a pretty large zip. Anybody interested PM me.

Oh, also got my copy of Energy XT still! Hope Machine is doing all right.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here is a link to my zip of Nicfit's MIDI tools. Actually I think they're there in duplicate, sorry. There are lots of other great ones and since there's been a request I'm going to try to set up hosting for all my antique VSTs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j78DXltLmg4Rgf5Y6FEb8WC-lCLas0yp/view?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And I don't plan on uploading all my old VSTs tonight but here, this is all the Kjaerhaus "Classic" plugins, IIRC some of these were really good

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nl0mmWY3cdY0_AFbaZXJzpK3mf3Dl76l/view?usp=sharing