Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lester Shy posted:

This is probably old news for anybody in this thread, but I just discovered that owning a Focusrite product gives you access to one free Addictive Keys instrument of your choice.

I'm stuck flipping between youtube demos of the Studio Grand and the Modern Upright. MU is probably more appropriate for the kind of music I make (rock and hip hop, generally) but SG might be more versatile. Does anybody feel strongly about these plugins? I've been using Piano One for years, so either one will be a huge improvement.

I actually think the Modern Upright is more versatile, the Selections sound design presets cover a much wider range. The soundboard mix with reverb sounds a lot like a grand and is an absolute joy to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I bought it on sale, there's a single-digit number of awesome patches and a lot of crud that sounds like 90s keyboard presets. Most of them just use the NOISE channel to play keytracked samples.

Check out this motherfucker if you have Zebra. Neff sometimes discounts it to $20.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's also this beauty that came out this year. I'd combine it with Embertone's Joshua Bell violin for glorious quartet pieces.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Motherfucker. I still recommend playing the sampler game, it's good ear training. Sixth level (8x8 grid of jazz chords) was absolutely insane.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rusty Kettle posted:

I just wanted to gush over embertone Joshua Bell violin
It is crazy good, just noodling around on QWERTY piano without any CCs sounds like a legit violin solo

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

A lot of them work with the free Kontakt Player, not the indie ones though, since it carries a license fee for the developer. And you will want the full version sooner or later to do more in-depth editing of patches (adjusting releases, removing bum notes and all that).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The world stopped making sense to me when some startup just went and bought FXpansion out of nowhere because their crowdfunded keyboard controller attracted venture capital

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Isn't a "tuned HFO targeting amp" just a regular oscillator?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In SF, you can select an area, and with one click have it create a sample from it, and from there you can add crossfade to make it a seamless loop (again, with just one additional click... it's a function in one of the menus).
Equal power crossfades are great, but does it do loop point searching like Edison or Kontakt's wave editor? That can be really useful if you're editing single notes for use in a sampler, since you need to have really short crossfades and a single sample difference in loop length can introduce horrible phasing artifacts. I just love Edison's Tune loop feature for this and would guess SF has something better on board since that's the industry standard

Plavski posted:

Humblebundle are doing a music production pack if anyone's interested: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/magix-sounds-of-music-software
They almost fooled me with the SAMPLITUDE PRO X2 Silver and those ridiculous track limitations

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

This is one of those plugins that can make any user sound like a lovely salesman, 'cause it really does do everything. At 100% wet and 0% feedback it's a great signal coloration tool.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release

so venture capital is subsidizing DAWs for the public now

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Like half my C:\ partition is symbolic links because of software that flat-out refuses to install anywhere else. Halion will only give you the option to select a different path for libraries after downloading the entire 30GB to the system drive. Thankfully the installer allows you to move folders around when it hangs up on 0 bytes free and then resumes just fine

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Just drag any folders/NKIs you want from the Files tab into the Quickload list - you can also rearrange and rename anything on there independently from its folder structure. Then just double click on the empty space in a new Kontakt instance to make an empty instrument and access the list from there. There's also a list for multis.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

...and lighting up keyswitches is a godsend.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can also crossgrade to full Kontakt 5 for 50% off (so 125EUR) if you own any licensed Kontakt Player library.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Opening any Rhythmic preset reveals those options tho. I recommend studying them, because you can even make a synchronized Decapitator-lite gate out of this - set the filter to dry, level mod to the max, turn on Rhythm mode and you've got yourself a tremolo overdrive.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Regroover for free deal is on again, this time on the official site.

https://accusonus.com/lp/presonus-regroover-offer-2018

The plugin is pretty cool and does what's advertised (there's often a massive comb effect on tonal samples, but they're still usable if you're doing more experimental electronic stuff), but I don't find myself using it as often as I thought I would. Just one to add to the arsenal.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jimmy Hellfire over at VI-C posted:

Check your plugins' versions. Is it something below 10, like V9.2.0 or something?
If yes, go to "downloads" --> "legacy versions". Click on Version 9, pick the one that corresponds with your plugins' version. Download.
Inside Waves Central, go to "install" --> left panel: "select offline installer" --> navigate to the previously downloaded file.
Pick your plugins from the list, install - done. Do not update to V10.

They do have money to burn.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So sad to see the no-longer-supported Kore 2 expansions in there. The multieffect packs were downright insane.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Oh god.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Prepare to spend most of your income on Kontakt libraries.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://reverb.com/software/instruments/reverb/3567-soundtoys-5-effect-rack-arturia-v-collection-6

This thread immediately came to mind for some reason. :thunk:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

iZotope generally puts things on sale when they have a new version in the works (like the current O8N2 $199 promo) so :rip:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I embraced the dongles and have the iLok and eLicenser taking up my only two front USB slots at all times. In the age of machine licenses breaking when you restart your network adapter (looking at you, Waves), they can actually reduce all the pain DRM normally causes. And moving sessions between computers is way easier, plug that poo poo in, everything loads and works*

*) as long as the target computer has the home-phoning drivers installed. still better than doing that per plugin

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, the scariest thing about the OneKnob series is that these are legitimately good processors under the hood. I just don't want anyone seeing me using them in sessions :ohdear:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can y'all tell me about Artillery? I saw it featured in this Reverb video yesterday and it looks like one of those plugins that once I get, I'd never be able to live without:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCKJVtRZVo

NI's The Finger is IMO better as far as it does mostly the same thing. Generally I prefer using poo poo like Effectrix and Glitch2, if you're sequencing the effects the workflow is pretty similar, but everything stays within one window. Less context switching when you're loving around

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know this is practically bringing this thread back from the brink of death, but does anyone have a guess as to when Iris 2 will possibly be on sale again?

I'm kicking myself for not going in on it when it was $50 in November, and while I'm not quite in the position to pay full price, $50 would be an immediate buy.

IT'S $50 AGAIN! :woop: And with Trash 2 bundled to boot: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/4901-iZotope-Trash2-Iris-2-Bundle-Exclusive-
Sale started Friday and lasts till Tuesday. Don't underestimate Trash 2, too, it's got several modules from Alloy as bonus processors, so you're getting a pretty good multiband compressor as part of the package!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey y'all, it looks like Best Service is doing half price upgrades on Komplete bundles. I just went from K10U to K12U Collector's Edition for $276.

https://www.bestservice.com/deals/ni_summer_of_sounds_50_off_upgrades__updates.html

Wait, so I can get the Komplete Select for €99 with NI's code till 6th of June, then go from that to K12U for €495 and then K12U CE for €295... or go from Select to K12 and then CE, that's €100 cheaper. Could go lower with K11U from a third-party store, I need to figure this out.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's nothing good in that price range and you're better off staying with free stuff. Assuming you don't have a full version of Kontakt, VSCO Community Edition would be your best bet: https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html Community stuff is in general much better than cheap commercial libs like Synful or Sonivox's Orchestral Companion, which isn't worth the £1 it's sometimes sold at. Too bad the best free patches are made for Kontakt.

Now if your budget was higher (I know), Amadeus on sale (it's normally $149 but has been $99 twice) is the best entry point right now and works with the free Kontakt Player https://sonicscores.com/amadeus

An alternative solution would be checking auctions/garage sales for old sampler CDs and use something like Shortcircuit 2 to convert them into a usable format.

e: lmao Synful is five hundred now. free soundfonts can sound better

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jul 9, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

This is a good overview video (especially with the FF12 comparison :3:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXNiE7DKzIg

Note that it's a collaboration between different sample developers (I def noticed some Strezov stuff) so sections might be hard to mix together, it's not a broad strokes library as it's meant to be used with notation software. Still, there's everything in there.

Oh right, $30 can also buy you a month of Composer Cloud, with Hollywood Orchestra Gold included. It's pretty good but EW's proprietary Play engine is a massive resource hog, you'll be bouncing tracks left and right.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 9, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Postin' in the Soundtoys thread :toot:

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/echo-pack Echo Pack for $99 'til July 25.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I put it on once I have any chunk of the track fully arranged because listening after limiter will immediately tell me if I made some dumb leveling decision that's not obvious after a long sequencing session; then I turn it off to write the other parts and just check from time to time

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's up to four Forms per voice.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you're new I'd postpone getting into poo poo like Iris, get a nice free subtractive synth like Charlatan and really get to know it first, just go to town

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If any of you got Ozone Elements in a promotion earlier this year, both JRRshop and Plugin Boutique allow for a nice little upgrade path this month.

https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-ozone-advanced-upgrade-ozone-elements Elements to Advanced
https://www.jrrshop.com/izotope-music-productionsuite-upgrade-advanced and up to the MPS2.1 (+Neutron 3 Adv, Nectar 3, RX 7, Insight 2 and some other bullshit)

250€ for the whole thing on PB, 180 on JRR.

Trig Discipline posted:

Don't postpone getting Iris 2 even if you plan to postpone digging into it, though; free with any purchase is too nice of a deal to pass up.
Definitely yeah, it's just not something you would want to define the way you think about signal flows and poo poo. Iris even has subtractive synth components inside

also I'm not big on MIDI plugins but as far as all the ~AutoTheory~ stuff is concerned InstaChord is one of the better ones. as in, I can actually imagine it saving me time (because you can set specific chord voices to keys, sequence your poo poo and then start messing with chord changes)

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 3, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

What the hell, I thought all hardware came with Select? Are there pricing tiers? Start is completely free for anybody. Do wait for upgrade discounts if you want to go up from Select, the 50% thing should still be valid after 13 releases, this summer's discount worked for 8-12 owners.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Even if you don't plan to use it, it's worth having a license just for the eventual upgrade offers. But I stand by the Master Assistant, it can be surprisingly good

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MrSargent posted:

Kinda wondering if anyone else has used the mastering assistant like this. When I finish a mix, I will usually throw on Ozone 8 and use the Mastering Assistant to give me a suggestion on a mastering chain. One thing I have found is that if my mix is sub-par (or just flat out sucks), mastering to -12LUFS can start to sound pretty distorted and generally not good. But if my mix is really solid, I can sometimes master to -10LUFS and not hear distortion. This has definitely helped on multiple tracks I have mixed / mastered myself.
Waves L3 popularized an IMO fantastic technique you can also use with Ozone. First move your Threshold to 0.0dB and link the Threshold and Ceiling controls using the button at the bottom:

Ceiling is just output gain (I thought it was a clipper at first). So now as you move both of those controls downwards, you won't hear an increase in level - get as low as possible without audible distortion, then unlink the controls, raise Ceiling to 0.0dB again and bam, you're halfway there.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

plugin companies are usually over the moon when someone with an actual bought copy contacts them for support, don't worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02vgKHBb8M

:woop: