Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Popcorn posted:

This is the step I was missing.

Man, it seems surprisingly tough to find a VST to create what I thought was a pretty simple sound.

There's plenty of widely available VSTs that could do what you want. You just have to be willing to part with money to get them.

Free VSTs are different story (and you often get what you pay for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Popcorn posted:

Would you recommend trying to build an instrument out of real bass samples (as opposed to just finding some clip of a random bass noodle that fits the mood)?

I'm pretty sure that's what h_double meant in his post. Sample some single notes, put them together in a sampler, play whatever bassline you want on that.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Heads up, NI is giving away a free plugin for the holidays:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#...urce=newsletter

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This should be a lesson to anyone who supported companies that use asinine dongles on their products. Customer-hostile DRM is always a losing proposition for all sides.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

magnificent7 posted:

I found one post that said, once the developer moved over to U-He or Magix, he legally couldn't change the Fish Fillets anymore. He could maintain what's there, but couldn't port it over to new platforms. What the hell.

He probably had a contract that stated anything he coded while employed by his current employer would belong to his employer. It's not an entirely uncommon or unheard of employment contract clause, though it is lovely.

If that was the case, then if he made any changes to the codebase of the blockfish stuff, the rights to it would then belong to his employer, so by not touching them, he's trying to keep them freeware.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radiapathy posted:

In case you're not on NI's mailing list (yet) they're giving away a pretty cool new compressor plugin called supercharger, plus some Traktor remix sets (which unpack a bunch of FLAC format loops that you can use outside of Traktor), and a $25 e-voucher.

Get on it.

I went for this, but the download link in the email, despite me selecting the windows version, and despite the email saying it's for windows, links me to the OSX mountable DMG image :(

(the only things in this house that boot OSX are my wife's ancient macbook and a tiny partition on my dell laptop that's not nearly large enough to have a DAW and VSTs installed on it)

edit: it allows you to resubmit multiple times from the same email - submitting a second time produced another download link, also labeled windows, but that actually links to the windows version this time...

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 17, 2013

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radiapathy posted:

Some online vendors are selling a "special edition" of FXpansion Geist (which includes an expansion pack) for $50 USD, which is $200 off MSRP. Musician's Friend sold out, but I've seen it other places, including Amazon. FXpansion claims the deal is legit.

Thanks for posting this, I picked it up since I've been dissatisfied with Battery lately- the last point version release of 3.x has a huge unfixed bug that causes it's output to go mute after anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes, and I haven't upgraded to 4 because I'm not loving a lot of the changes to it (also haven't had cash handy to blow on a Komplete upgrade).

Guess I'll see how it is when it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Radiapathy posted:

Battery 4 totally blows. Great UI, some nice kits, but in terms of building your own kits it is several steps backward from B3. Absolutely an incomprehensible change.

I am curious about the B3 bug though? Was this a recent update? (I probably haven't updated B3 since I installed K8.)

Yeah, I believe it was one of, if not the, final release of B3. NI won't respond to people posting about the issue in their forums (there's a big thread about it there), and I cannot for the life of me find any of the installers for an older version (which all worked fine for me); since I moved, I can't find my DVDs anywhere so I can't even try installing a previous version. :(