Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I'm on a Mac and I use mostly VST's. Any company who develops VST's and AU's is just putting the VST into an AU wrapper, compiling and distributing it.

ValhallaUberMod is what I'm playing with this second, and it is a very odd multitap delay/chorus. For 50 bucks, it has already paid for itself and then some.

The only thing that I use that I can think of that is AU only is DrumSpillage, and it is by far the best and most versatile drum synth I've ever used. For me, it kills uTonic, Punch and Tremor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I use ValhallaRoom and really love it. Valhalla's principle: Sean Costello also wrote AudioDamage's EOS, which is my more spacey/ethereal reverb. I hear that's what ValhallaShimmer is like, but with some newer/crazier algorithms possibly.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

atleast the UI is pretty huh

Chris Randall of Audio Damage did the UI. I dig it, as well. Does Alchemy implement those spectral tools?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Ended up buying Iris. I played with the demo for a few hours and got musically useful results out of every preset I made from my own samples. I love the simplicity and immediacy of the interface, and it sounds amazing. Layering and mapping out interaction between the layers is drat fun. Lots of chance for unexpected sounds as well.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Both 8Dio and Sound Iron are great companies. I believe they used to be the same company, and then split into those two. I've got sample packs from the first incarnation and they're well organized and perfectly recorded.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

mnd posted:

I kind of fear (if fear is the right word [it isn't]) this is going to be me too, given my experience with Live so far, but I'm still trying to give it a solid go.

Having it crash on me three times in a single event (my friend's wedding reception) was less than confidence building, though. I'm willing to buy a plausible story about how I could have reduced the risk of (how I think) it crashed each time (e.g. should have converted all my tracks & samples to WAV(?)), but still.

When playing around and jamming on an idea, I still feel more comfortable in things like REAPER for multi-track editing and mixing, and in software I think of as more immediately "instrumental" to me (this is, of course, wildly subjective), like AudioMulch, Renoise, Komplete, Maschine, etc. I don't exactly know why. I feel like I still haven't had the profound "a ha!" moment with Live yet...

I also use AudioMulch and Renoise, as well as Numerology, Klee and Max/MSP. I find all of these tools to be more immediately instrumental than Live. The thing is that once I want to make a meta instrument out of all of these things, or the audio/midi output of them, Live is the simplest and most stable tool to do this(Live doesn't crash on me). Then, once I've got such a set created with output from all of my other more inspiring instruments, I want to play the Live set with external controllers. Live is the only environment I know of that doesn't force me to sit around and map MIDI controllers to those functions for hours. Sure Renoise has its tools section, but none of those tools cover most of the functions of the program itself, like Live controllers do(the APC40 being a perfect example, and Push to a higher extent).

muckswirler also made a great point. The warping engine/markers allow you to take the audio out of other projects and make it work with audio from another half finished project that might fit well with something else you've got. In no time, you are combining audio from your various more instrumental programs, playing with Live in your home studio and dancing around your room because you don't have to sit in front of the computer/mouse/keyboard anymore to play live in Live. In the end, Live becomes an instrument in and of itself, and a very potent one at that.

renderful fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 10, 2013

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Any of the Valhalla reverbs is as good if not better than Aether with a far better UI. You can buy all 3 of them for less than the price of Aether, and they cover quite a lot of ground.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Also, AudioDamage's EOS was written by Sean of Valhalla. Great verb, not based on or using any of the same algorithms in the Valhall verb. I'd say that it's somewhere in between Room and Shimmer with an interesting UI(such is AudioDamage).

ValhallaVintageVerb is my new favorite, although Room is probably the most utilitarian.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Sounds like that was a winner, so might as well continue on.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

How do you like that EQ? I've been looking for an EQ with a built in Spectrograph. Is it a CPU hog?

I use DDMF's 6144 as a character EQ and it is absolutely beautiful.

As much as I like DMG Equality for technical tasks, 6144 sounds prettier.

renderful fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 23, 2013

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

The biggest attraction of a demo plugin is having 100+ new presets to play with which'll make you feel happy initially, and then you figure out "oh, also 3 osc, also 2 filters, also ADSR" - *yawn* and the rush is gone. Then you calculate what you paid per preset and feel bad about it. One way to fight it is to think of 'm as physical things so you'll stop filling your studio with similar stuff.

For me, it's more like: Buy synth plugin, delete presets, twiddle knobs and read manual. The rush starts when knobs get twiddling and it ends when I've learned how to use every feature of the thing.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Also hope that the iLok servers never go down like they did for 2 months last year. Then you own't be able to use your poo poo.

Signed respectfully, an audio professional who will NEVER touch anything which requires a dongle.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I like how Audio Damage just removed DRM from their plugins entirely.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Ooooh, now to decide between Largo and PPG Wavegenerator.

I'll probably grab Kaivo first, anyway.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

ghostofbox posted:

I've been using Reaper in Wine on Linux, and it tends to act okay although not reliably so. As far as frustrating, at least it was free to try those out. Synth1 appears to crash, so I'm a bit sad about that.

Thanks for that! I haven't had a lot of experience with JACK, and when I have it has been a bit unstable. That's just personal experience, though. I'll read through this.

In my experience, you'll need to install a low latency kernel in order to get JACK to be stable and responsive. That's one of the main differences between Linux as an audio machine and Linux as a general purpose PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I haven't compiled a kernel in over a decade. Maybe I'll install Gentoo when I get home(pfffft, yeah right).