Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can anyone recommend a good free VST with a nice simple synthy string sample in it like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJthA4l8S5U&t=111s 1.50 in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks for the tip about Kontakt. I installed it, but it seems to be running in demo mode and keeps timing out. Do you know how I can switch it? I thought it could be run as a "full" product without buying something.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

So I can use the Kontakt Player free, but without any samples to use with it?

e: official NI Kontakt ones I mean.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 30, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Startyde posted:

The factory selection is free, but requires you create an NI login. They send you a serial to "register" it with.

This is the step I was missing.

Man, it seems surprisingly tough to find a VST to create what I thought was a pretty simple sound.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Let me put it another way: I thought it was such a basic sound I wouldn't have to pay money for it! Any recommendations for some cash-based solutions?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zg8jD9q5nk

Can anyone recommend a VST close to this sort of processed slap bass sound?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

h_double posted:

Just use a sample of an actual bass guitar. The bass in that clip was probably processed with some compression, chorus, and a bit of distortion.

I have a bassline written, but I'm struggling to find an instrument to play it (I'm not a competent enough funk bassist to play and record it myself, and besides, I wan that processed French touch sound).

Would you recommend trying to build an instrument out of real bass samples (as opposed to just finding some clip of a random bass noodle that fits the mood)? If so, any recommendations for samples to use?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Maybe a long shot but I just got a Mac and installed Guitar Rig 5 on it. The drag-and-drop feature doesn't seem to work. For example, when I want to map an LFO onto a control by dragging and dropping, nothing happens. Am I misunderstanding something?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks, but I already know how to use the feature. I used it all the time on my last machine.

The problem is that on my new machine, drag and drop simply doesn't work. I drag a tick to a knob and nothing happens. It doesn't assign it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

h_double posted:

I'm running GR4 + Ableton Live + Macbook w/Yosemite, drag & drop works okay here.

Are you using the trackpad on a Macbook? Using three finger drag for drag & drop? If you're new to MacOS some of the trackpad gestures aren't immediately obvious.

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be it either. Three-finger dragging and dropping is disabled by default on newer Macs (you just click+drag like on PC). I'm able to drag and drop stuff, but when I drop a control in Guitar Rig, nothing happens. I enabled the three-finger drag-and-drop just in case, but it makes no difference.

Baffling. I guess I'll ask NI.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 26, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

OK, next question.

I bought an orchestral string pack that works in Kontakt, but Kontakt keeps telling me it's just running in demo mode. I was under the impression that the Kontakt player itself was free, and it was the libraries that you pay for. Am I missing something?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

No, it's Aria. Can't find any info on their site about licensing.

The message I get from Kontakt is "This instrument is in demo mode", suggesting the instrument is the problem, not Kontakt. However, when I click Activate, it tells me I need to activate Kontakt, not the instrument.

I can only use the library a few times before it stops working and I have to restart.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

ynohtna posted:

There are two types of Kontakt packs.

DRM-encoded "licensed" packs can be played freely in Kontakt & Kontakt Player. The sample developer pays a large fee to NI for this, although the amount can be somewhat negotiated if they have cred and can "guarantee" certain sales volumes.

Unencoded/unlicensed packs can only be played in the full version of Kontakt. Kontakt Player will nag about upgrading, and will only give you 15 minutes of usage - and saving is locked out - before a restart is required.

NI's business model, folks.

Sheesh. Thanks for the info.

I feel like the whole music software biz works on a bizarre business model generally. Everything's hugely overpriced and a nightmare to license and install. I think if they just made things affordable to the average hobbyist a lot of bullshit would go away.

I have nothing to base this on whatsoever.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I feel the same way, but I can only reason that it's because people actually put up with it :v: NI's business model is insane but they're the first to be recommended when people ask about what plugins to get, and people continue to support developers with insane DRM like iLok. If this was any other type of software nerds would be up in arms in a jiffy, but the main userbase is musicians (?!) and the market is fresh enough that the users just assume that's how it's supposed to be.

This is pretty "man yells at cloud" territory though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I worked for several years in software development (not music) and we put a huge amount of energy into making the trial and licensing process as painless as possible. So I'm particularly sensitive to this bullshit.

At one point I tried to buy EZDrummer but the goddamn "buy" button didn't work. Just did nothing. I Tweeted them about it. Their response was "Our engineers recommend Firefox." I was using Chrome, the most popular browser in the world. But I guess their engineers like Firefox.

Likewise, I recently got some Soundtoys plug-ins and the iLok stuff is a loving nightmare. The installer asked me on the final step if I wanted to install iLok, without explaining what it was or that it was necessary. Of course I declined, because who wants to install random crap? When I ran the plug-in in Ableton, it triggered cascading error messages.

At least it didn't have to use a loving dongle. Jesus Christ.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'm thinking of buying one of the Kontakt bundles, but I'm hoping to wait for some deal to show up. How often do they drop their prices?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

Which Kontakt bundles?

New purchases of Komplete 10 and Ultimate are on sale right now for 20% off and 30% off, respectively. This is their most rare kind of sale. Most of their Komplete discounts are on individual titles or crossgrades/upgrades, not new purchases of the bundle.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/special-offer/

Thanks for this info.

I can't figure what to buy. I know I really want Battery so I could just get that on its own, but I'm a bit giddy with the idea of having all these zillions of other things too.

e: it's also kinda nuts that I can get those zillions of other things for only double the price of buying Battery alone.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

There's no free tape stop VSTs for Mac, right? Isotope Vinyl does it but doesn't let you adjust the stop speed.

I got the illformed Glitch 2 demo, but I find its timing system counter-intuitive; I just want something I can turn on and off.

I know you can create the effect manually by bouncing to audio and loving with it, but that's going to be a pain in the rear end and a last resort.