Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not immediately seeing what iris 2 is good for other than being a sampler that auto detects the root note of samples. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

In my experience Melodyne works a lot better if you're trying to get natural-sounding results, but it's stupid expensive too. The full version, anyway.

Melodyne 5 just came out and it's fantastic. They have a lite version for $249 that still has all the functionality you need for vocal editing, but yeah the full version is pretty steep at $699.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

my dudes, what are y'all using for trance gate effects?

i used to use CamelAudio's CamelSpace (which I still technically have a registered copy of, but don't wish to mess with it since it's unsupported and I think there were weird activation instructions once they sold off to Apple), and most recently I used the trancegate plugin from the Vengeance Producer Suite. it gets the job done i guess, but i would like something with a couple more tweakable parameters.

the project i'm working on now I'm trying to do entirely with Cubase 9.5 bundled effects/instruments + a handful of Komplete instruments. trying to see if a very stripped-down setup makes me more productive. but there is no trance gate effect across Cubase/Komplete as far as I know, so I'm willing to bend the rules for that.

LFOtool: https://xferrecords.com/products/lfo-tool

or

Shaperbox: https://www.cableguys.com/shaperbox.html

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

the even worse change to the algorithm was when they made it prefer longer videos so every content creator now feels like they have to add as much fluff as possible to the beginning and end of their vids to make it as close to the 10 min mark as possible (if not longer), which is especially noticeable in tutorial vids.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

DammitJanet posted:

I also picked up Kontakt, so if there are any libraries you guys recommend I'm all ears. Thanks!

what kind of music do you make?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

DammitJanet posted:

Mostly rock in various forms, but I also love to do stuff with soft synths that evokes an '80s/'90s pop/new wave vibe. I also make backing music for my youtube videos and I do voice over work from home as well. Cinematic sound-design type stuff on occasion too.

Copy that. My youtube videos have a '70s/'80s film look so I'll definitely check out Grindhouse.

The Kurt Ballou Signature Series Drums is a great drum lib for heavy punk type stuff, and the Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass is an awesome funk/rock bass

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ProperCauldron posted:

wondering if it's time I purchase the FabFilter Pro-Q 3 which is on sale at $127, if only to see what all the fuss is about

I've been getting by on the Ableton stock EQs. Please post good reasons for me to make the jump (aside from the fact I paid off my entire credit card yesterday woooo)

dynamic bands are a must have feature imo

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

OutOfPrint posted:

TDR Nova has dynamic bands, sidechain compression, and a free version. Is there something that makes Fab Filter $100 better?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4656

Nova has 4 bands, pro-q3 has infinite. Free version of nova can't sidechain or EQ match. The dynamic bands on pro-q3 also have a smart algorithm that are aware of the type of audio you're using them on and adjust their attack and release accordingly. Setting up and using the dynamic bands is also a lot quicker and more intuitive in pro-q3. Nova also does not have notch, tilt shelf, and flat tilt bands (the latter of which is great for quick brightness/darkness adjustments on a channel). Unless I'm mistaken, nova also does not have mid/side or left/right modes. Pro-Q 3 has a gain scale slider which lets you adjust the severity of the adjustments made by every band at the same time, so you can dial back your EQ moves or exaggerate them as needed. Nova doesn't have a linear phase mode. Pro-Q lets you solo the effect of a single band so you can hear only the frequencies that it is affecting. I mean the list goes on.

EDIT: If you don't want to spend any money, nova is a great option. But there's a reason Pro-Q3 is as popular as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm getting back in the box - are there any must-have (or maybe just really really good) plugins for mixdown in the last 5-7 years?

I'm set on reverbs and delays (really like Valhalla) and I guess am wondering if there's a similar-level offering for like buss compression + channel strip stuff?

When I google this I get reddits saying the stock stuff is all you need and I don't disagree but between Reaper and Logic I feel like ReaComp is "okay" and kinda hate everything else. Or rather really like using it (*loved the new compressor interface in LogicX) and then hate the mix. Same for EQ.

soothe2 is pretty goated