Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark idea about how complex the VST SDK is?
I don't actually have any personal experience with it, but everyone I know who has really tried to create some sort of VST has been very much a programmer first and musician second, and it took forever.

But if you have a need to program your own real-time DSP processing for some reason, FlowStone comes highly recommended to me. Again, not something I have actually dug into yet, but I know a couple of guys who have created some really cool stuff with it without investing 6 months of time learning to code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

You can download the free version and pay per-export to make VSTs (Windows only I think) or standalone exe's from FlowStone, but if you already have it coded in another language I guess you'd be doing a lot of work to rewrite it in their language. Unless you did it in Ruby, which I think it can parse...

e: although I think you are limited to 1 input and output in the free version :(

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 28, 2012

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Their forums don't have many threads even viewed 10k times in 2 years. All their plug-ins look like reskins of each other and they have one for everything instead of seeming to have a niche they're good at. It also seems that they released all of them at one time for the introductory price of $500 in 2011 when no one had ever heard of them, it's not a collection of favorite free plug-ins that slowly became a paid bundle by popularity.

Seems highly dubious to me. The only reviews I can find easily are from a gearslutz thread that looks like it was started by someone from DC in 2011.

In SoundToys news, they're finally offering 64-bit beta versions of their plug-ins to their bundle customers for testing. I think there were a few people holding out on Decapitator or Echoboy because they weren't 64-bit. Or maybe it was only Agreed...

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Also guys I almost forgot.. did you check out the drop yet?

same dude who made the glue

do I really need to say anything else

Haha, now plug-ins are jumping on the "our software isn't done, but we're ready for you to pay full-price to beta test it!" model?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I don't doubt people are paying, but I think it's pretty silly to buy a beta of something you're going to need to work in real time, where a memory leak or whatever is going to make it unusable in a session. You're probably right about the eventual price, but there's nothing on that page to indicate paying now has any benefits other than getting access to the beta now.

edit: If you want to give the company money because you trust them and like their other products, more power to both of you. I'm just amused that people would pay for unfinished audio software when the consequences of it not working perfectly are often not being able to use it for what you bought it for. It's not really the same thing as paying for beta access to a game, IMO it's more like paying to beta test a firewall or antivirus. My audio hardware and software purchases are informed as much by reliability as by how something sounds, I wouldn't buy a plug-in I wasn't sure I could run for 5 hours straight when I wanted to, and I wouldn't buy an LA-2A hardware unit listed as "works mostly" either (although at least with that purchase I could open it and try to fix it myself).

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 1, 2013

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Didn't this thread start as a spin-off of the "VST or V$T?" thread, where it took 2 pages to convince most of ML that it was worth it to pay any money at all for any VST? A year later the general opinion is it's perfectly normal to pay money for a beta of a VST, and people are cool with not being able to use their new toy in all their projects for a few months?

Never underestimate the power of marketing I guess?

e: \/\/ - Right, I get that if you know you're going to buy everything a company makes, you might not bat an eye (but it's still potentially money you can't use for stuff you need right now). Wouldn't it make more sense if the companies put out some kind of subscription or bundle price for those kinds of customers, instead of pay as you go beta to final, plugin by plugin? The way most of the established plug-in companies do it?

Soundtoys for instance has open betas for the 64bit versions of their plug-ins right now. They aren't selling access to them, anyone who owns any of their bundles gets to help them beta test them for free by virtue of already being customers. That kind of setup seems way more legit to me, and rewards loyal customers better, IMO.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 3, 2013

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

You can just put a second 100% wet fixed delay plug-in after it, right?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I thought you meant I/O like A/D or D/A conversion, that would never cause a negative delay.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I dunno, the last 7 years I've spent with no problems don't suddenly make me feel ripped off by my $50 iLok. I prefer it to remembering a login on 10 different websites or searching through my inbox for registration codes, and I use it for all my Plugin Alliance stuff even though I don't have to.

There is no such thing as friendly DRM. If you want to bang your head against a wall and swear off using software, try having a computer running Smaart 7 crash or get stolen (you have to call them and have one of their 3 employees clear that install from your account if you can't uninstall it correctly, a multiday process). Or deal with L'Acoustic's Soundvision and the dongle they tried to make themselves to cut iLok out of the loop (that barely fits in a USB slot and will brick itself if you have it plugged in while you install the drivers).

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I need to use mine this weekend, but it won't be plugged into a machine with internet access before or during. I agree the whole thing is a little fun to watch because unless you just bought an iLok or piece of software today, I'm not sure why you would be chomping at the bit to resync your iLok. I can't imagine a huge portion of its customers are actually unable to work on their stuff. I wonder how much money they'll have to refund to the people who pay for that Zero Downtime service upgrade.

I haven't been to their site since the last time I bought a plug-in so I have no idea what the new features or whatever were supposed to be.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

W424 posted:

I don't know how it ranks up but I've been using this http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=0 because I'm poor.
Does it bother anyone else that the curve in the sample picture is impossible to draw with 4 EQ filters? How the hell do you end up with that crooked plateau thing from 1K to 6K?

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Flipperwaldt posted:

:confused: Impossible?

It's essentially demonstrating a feature of this EQ. Sure, you won't get that shape with a classic parametric equalizer, but apparently you can with this one. As such it doesn't bother me, no.
The UI can draw that line if it wants to, but there's no EQ filter that can create that shape. The fanciest EQ filters you can find are in Lake Processors. They're the only ones that can actually create "mesa" filters that top out flat at the center frequency like that, but you still can't make a curve look like that with 2 filters (the other 2 in that picture are just HPF and high shelf).

Take a look at the manual that comes with the demo, that EQ plug-in just has a bunch of variations of standard parametric filters (many redundant in terms of what they can accomplish).